• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking...Zeraora does not seem to be the bad guy like Marshadow who played the evil spirit. The little girl is seen protecting him. But who is attacking him/them, who is the bad guy? Who is causing the black smoke mess and all that fire? Lugia? What the hell is this movie about?
Anyway I think Zeraora will sacrifice itself to protect the little girl in the end.
Probably bad people want to capture Zeraora for bad reasons, and wind up starting a fire in the process. Unless we're finally past that sort of generic Pokemon movie plot. =/

So I have to say Zeraora looks much better in its official artwork then it does in its in-game model. Actually, I'm oddly interested to see what's going on in this movie.
I'm more interested to see what's going on in this movie than I was the last one. XD I'm hoping that girl just takes over the series- screw Ash, let's follow eevee girl's adventures now.

What innovations would be impressive enough to be on par with a new region, without tearing up an old one?
New battle system?

I don't know about you, but the mainstream people, which this remake/reboot is designed to appeal to (in my opinion)*, don't rave about the battle system being their favorite part of the OG games. Instead, they like the characters, geography, and Pokemon themselves. Thus, if they keep that much similar, almost every Switch owner will likely buy the games. Plus, it just dawned on me that, potentially, the graphics may not seem impressive as a result of Game Freak knowing that their target audience isn't familiar with their 3DS games, and thus enhancing the 3D style wouldn't be majorly received as "lazy."

*The Switch is being branded in a more similar manner to Nintendo's competition, specifically not solely to kids, but also to the adult crowd looking for adult games. In my opinion, Game Freak may attempt to capitalize off of this, since, let's all be honest here, they couldn't do that with the "lackluster" (in terms of graphics) handheld market. After all, we all know that revisiting Kanto isn't directly targeted at young kids. If they wanted to target them, they would have made a game with more stimulation (region, Pokemon, features, etc.), even if potentially underwhelming and rushed.

Of course, this is all a theory, and I'm sure there are odd points and loopholes, but oh well.

TLDR; The Switch is a different market than the handhelds they've been working with for years. It would be a safe bet to release a remake/reboot to capture the attention of the home console side of the Switch market, and then release new generations and whatnot from there.

Older players would want the game to be as close of a remake as possible. They would otherwise complain that the games "ruined their nostalgia".

Sorry, Riley. I can't agree to this one. If youre going from sprites to 3D, the art style is already going to be off putting to those who are not used to a more anime style look. Besides, there were no familiar characters in Pokemon GO. The team concept was totally new and fully embraced, along with the captains. Ruining their nostalgia would be keeping it as is with a more cel shaded look. It has to seem modern. The only real way to guarantee their support is ab HDR open world game in Unreal Engine 4 so they don't get embarrassed as an adult, but still feel like a child. Obviously this isn't true of everyone in this age range, but the people who specifically would claim it's ruining their childhood? Yeah. Although to be honest that complaint sounds like someone who is 18-22 commenting on a series from junior high or 12-14. You grow out of that phase or you don't go for what Nintendo is selling. I realize the Switch is doing to gamers what the Wii did for casual play, which is questioning what a modern console can be while easily fitting as a second system. Even still.

New battle system?

I don't know about you, but the mainstream people, which this remake/reboot is designed to appeal to (in my opinion)*, don't rave about the battle system being their favorite part of the OG games. Instead, they like the characters, geography, and Pokemon themselves. Thus, if they keep that much similar, almost every Switch owner will likely buy the games. Plus, it just dawned on me that, potentially, the graphics may not seem impressive as a result of Game Freak knowing that their target audience isn't familiar with their 3DS games, and thus enhancing the 3D style wouldn't be majorly received as "lazy."

*The Switch is being branded in a more similar manner to Nintendo's competition, specifically not solely to kids, but also to the adult crowd looking for adult games. In my opinion, Game Freak may attempt to capitalize off of this, since, let's all be honest here, they couldn't do that with the "lackluster" (in terms of graphics) handheld market. After all, we all know that revisiting Kanto isn't directly targeted at young kids. If they wanted to target them, they would have made a game with more stimulation (region, Pokemon, features, etc.), even if potentially underwhelming and rushed.

Of course, this is all a theory, and I'm sure there are odd points and loopholes, but oh well.

TLDR; The Switch is a different market than the handhelds they've been working with for years. It would be a safe bet to release a remake/reboot to capture the attention of the home console side of the Switch market, and then release new generations and whatnot from there.
Man, I am all for a new battle system- I'm so tired of turn-based. XD But that seems to be an unpopular opinion because there's also a whole lot of people who would scream if the games switched away from turn-based fighting so... I don't think they can safely do much to change things up there either. Unless there's some other way that they could change it up while still keeping it basically the same... eeeh, I dunno. I'd kill for a main series title with real-time fighting, for sure.

And it's really the adult crowd where how you handle Kanto winds up being a huge balancing act between going too far and going far enough, too, so... yeah, I don't think returning to Kanto is as safe of a bet as starting off with a new region with no sentimental ties.

Some sort of non turn-based
interactions with wild Pokemon seem possible as far as, without trainers, they do not really need to be waiting to make the next move, but that has simply been what has helped the experience, and game engine, to be balanced until now. It would make sense if battles between Trainers remain turn based as the Pokemon are waiting for instructions!

If the Pokemon are active and visible in the wild similar to all of the natural creatures in Breath of the Wild, there might indeed need to be some new ways to interact with them, that might even not involve standoffs or strong enough attacks to KO either them or our own Pokemon.
I really would think that the stealth mechanic from BotW would be incredible!

Now regarding 2018 or 2019 for release, it is a win-win because a later release ensures it is the best possible game, and, an earlier release seems to happen only when it is already the best possible game (of course with the potential for downloadable patches and perhaps something like DLC)

I guess we wait until May as well, I honestly can't expect anything else for certain.

Sorry, Riley. I can't agree to this one. If youre going from sprites to 3D, the art style is already going to be off putting to those who are not used to a more anime style look. Besides, there were no familiar characters in Pokemon GO. The team concept was totally new and fully embraced, along with the captains. Ruining their nostalgia would be keeping it as is with a more cel shaded look. It has to seem modern. The only real way to guarantee their support is ab HDR open world game in Unreal Engine 4 so they don't get embarrassed as an adult, but still feel like a child. Obviously this isn't true of everyone in this age range, but the people who specifically would claim it's ruining their childhood? Yeah. Although to be honest that complaint sounds like someone who is 18-22 commenting on a series from junior high or 12-14. You grow out of that phase or you don't go for what Nintendo is selling. I realize the Switch is doing to gamers what the Wii did for casual play, which is questioning what a modern console can be while easily fitting as a second system. Even still.
Honestly, I think taking the old Kanto map and enhancing it to a larger 3D environment would appeal to nostalgia fans, they would absolutely love to go inside those buildings for a change and have more room to run around.

But even if you do that, is it more than a remake at that point and would that and a new plot be enough of a change to not make it feel like yet another return to Kanto? Is that impressive enough for everyone or is it just impressive enough for people who don't mind the return? Is it only impressive to those who are making the return? Exploring an old environment in 3D with buildings to explore is fascinating to people who remember it in 2D, but if you've never been to Kanto before... what does Kanto have for you?

That's what I wonder about.

Because it is listed there it won't mean that is exactly coming this year.
The developers of main games is game freak, and i don't believe that they are able to bring 3 releases in 3 years.
It is just contradict the traditional release-date rhythm of game freak and, i don't think they are able bring this game that much quick.

...well no, it doesn't mean that it's coming out this year for certain, but it does mean that it was intended to try to be. Between that and the job listings reflecting the localization process, we know that they're on track for a release much sooner than autumn of next year.

Quick Update:
We're currently doing an investigation on the issues in this thread. Note that the results of our investigation or any other mod action will not be made public so please trust that we are listening to all sides and will be enforcing the rules as they are intended.

In-thread 4/9/18
Right, we're back in business here.

Here is what we, the Bulbagarden staff, have noticed. Users have been making a lot of posts in the speculation threads that many other users find dismissive and/or find repetitive. While we understand the frustration over posts like these, the overwhelming response has been to make these users feel unwelcome and like they are worthless and their posts don't matter. This is not okay.

The responsibility for making Bulbagarden a welcoming and opening community falls on each and every one of us, not just the staff. If you disagree with someone's opinion, then explain why you disagree and express your opinion, or move on. If you still don't believe you can treat a user with respect, then put them on your Ignore list; that’s why that handy little feature exists.

Moving forward, there have been two new VG mods added to the roster to help us manage things more thoroughly. We appreciate the feedback we've gotten, and we're sorry for those who have been uninvolved or felt uncomfortable over this. Us mods, too, are only human. Please continue Reporting posts if you feel that they are rule breaking and/or offering feedback to the staff, keeping the previous PSAs in mind.

Now, as a general rule, we do not normally make warnings public or known to others. The staff do read and talk through every report made, even if the action we take is not obvious to others. However, to clarify: considering the fact that we'd already made several posts on this topic and the memo didn't seem to be sinking in, we decided to make an exception. We're keeping on board the feedback from that response, too.

I will end with a call for a little self reflection on everyone’s part. I get that news about the new Pokémon games has been sparse to nonexistent. Tensions are high, and everyone has their own opinions, guided by personal biases, on what they want to see in the new games. Still, please try to be mindful both of how your posts may be interpreted and how others may not intend for their posts to be taken the way that you’ve taken it. Not everybody communicates the same way with the world around them. And on Internet forums, you cannot hear tone or see body language, which eliminates all context for the post other than the words themselves.

I find it weird that the movie almost definitely doesn't even feature a new form. Even Paul Ryan finds bandage Eevee surprising.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything, I suppose. Spiky-eared Pichu was very gimmicky and Mega Diancie was shoehorned into ORAS. I find the prevalence of Johto critters telling in itself.

I'm gonna post the movie plot here too:

Once a year, a "wind festival" is held in Fura City, the city where people live together with the wind. On the final day of the festival, the legendary Pokémon Lugia will appear and give the people the blessed wind, a promise said to date back to the distant past.
[So Lugia will only appear in the last day of the festival. Probably it's going to receive the ho-oh treatment]
Lisa, the highschooler and Pokémon rookie. Kagachi, the braggart that just can't stop telling tall tales. Trito, the timid researcher that lacks confidence. Hisui, the old eccentric that hates Pokémon. Largo, the mysterious little girl that hangs around in the forest all by herself.
While they're participating in the festival, Ash and Pikachu meets these five companions by pure coincidence. Each of them has their own worries on their mind, and are unable to take a step forward together with their partner Pokémon, but when they meet each other, the cogs of destiny start turning......
Will the promise with Lugia be kept? And just what is the true identity of the mythical Pokémon Zeraora??
Everyone's friendship, both people's and Pokémon's, will now cause a miracle to occur.

[It's interesting to understand if there's something else about Zeraora and its "true identity" or if they are just talking about its role in the movie. A miracle will occur apparently...what can it be?]
In addition to this, we also have some new data regarding the characters
Largo - A little girl living in Fura City, and the mayor's daughter. She's a resolute and kind little lady. It appears she has something to to with the mythical Pokémon Zeraora, but...[but?]
Lisa - A highschooler and Pokémon rookie. She came to the wind festival in order to get an Eevee, which she had promised her injured little brother. [So, her main goal in the movie is to catch an eevee]
Trito - A Pokémon researcher who's bad at talking to others. He's participating in the wind festival in order to make a presentation related to his research, but he lacks the confidence and ends up just sitting there getting consoled by Chansey.
Kagachi - A braggart that just can't stop telling tall tales. He visited the wind festival together with his beloved niece. It appears Sudowoodo adores him for a very particular reason. He talks about how "There's a super rare Pokémon in this city!", but...[but? Does he mean Zeraora?]
Hisui - An old woman living in Fura City that hates Pokémon. She started avoiding Pokémon because of something that happened in the past, but for some reason a lot of Pokémon follow her around, including a Totodile.
Riku - Lisa's younger brother. A young boy that loves Pokémon. He's hospitalized because of an injured leg. [Eevee bandage may be related to this kid and his the injured leg]
Mayor Oliver - The mayor of Fura City and Largo's father. He is a strict man with a strong sense of responsibility. He is constantly on the move in order to ensure that the wind festival is a success.
Zeraora - A mythical Pokémon said to live in the mountain recesses of Fura City. By emitting an electric current from the pads on its arms and legs, it's able to move through the air at the speed of lightning.
[the official site states that Zeraora cannot produce electricity but can only absorb it to release it later]

Notice that there's still no mention about what's going on in the city. Who is causing the black smoke and the fire? Zeraora doesn't look like the villain...

I find it weird that the movie almost definitely doesn't even feature a new form. Even Paul Ryan finds bandage Eevee surprising.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything, I suppose. Spiky-eared Pichu was very gimmicky and Mega Diancie was shoehorned into ORAS. I find the prevalence of Johto critters telling in itself.
While it is not a rule or anything but every movie that ends a generation has links to the next generation. So I'm surprised as well. Maybe Zeraora itself gets a new form in the movie which gets unlocked in the games via transferring it to Switch games? I can't see them introducing a new Pokemon anymore.

Bandage Eevee?

I am getting spiky eared pichu vibes from it.

The Switch games are totally Gale and Torrent, I am sure of it.

The Riddler hunted at the fire starter being a minotaur a few weeks back.

Well Pokemon obviously isn't new to mythicals getting alt forms like Deoxys, Shaymin, Meloetta, Keldeo, Hoopa etc I can see Zeraora possibly going this route but who knows.

This is probably the best place for this;

I had a very distinctive and memorable dream last night. It was loosely about Gen 8.

From what I remember;

Psyduck - Ice
Golduck - Ice/Psychic (it was also very dark blue)
Eevee got regional evolutions - Flareon (Fire/Dark), Vaporeon (Water/Ice), Jolteon (Electeic/Ground). Flareon was waaaay more fluffy, and kind of purple, Vaporeon was silver and Jolteon was more spiky
Oddish - Fire/Grass
Wobbuffet - He was at the meeting where all these pokemon got type changes, but was turned away. I think he was supposed to be Dark, but wasn't allowed it?
The Nidoran lines swapped colours. Nidoran M and Nidorino were pure Ground, Nidoking was Ground/Dragon. Nidoran F and Nidorina were pure poison and Nidoqueen was Poison/Dragon
Chansey was Fairy and refused to sit beside Golduck
Jynx was Ice/Fairy and looked completely different

Isn't this like the first ever time they have had a different director or something like that for this film? If that is the case then maybe something completely different is on the horizon.

We still don't know what Lugia's part is or Zeraora's really or much about this film tbh. I like that in a sense of surprise but at the same time, I want more info XD

Though... With the follow up trailer that was released during when the thread was locked, I do wonder now what will be shown on the 12th (Probs just movie stuff but who knows)

And I am sure everyone has seen it already but official art (One I posted earlier just movie art I guess then :p)

upload_2018-4-10_1-3-49.png

Though... With the follow up trailer that was released during when the thread was locked, I do wonder now what will be shown on the 12th (Probs just movie stuff but who knows)
Everything about Zeraora has been officially announced except for its signature move. So it will probably be just Plasma fists.

While it is not a rule or anything but every movie that ends a generation has links to the next generation. So I'm surprised as well. Maybe Zeraora itself gets a new form in the movie which gets unlocked in the games via transferring it to Switch games? I can't see them introducing a new Pokemon anymore.
Maybe this time the next gen hint is going to be more like the Zygarde Core teaser? I remembered they showed a short clip with that at the end of the Hoopa movie and we were all wondering for awhile whether that was a new pokemon or not. I know that wasn't an end of gen movie... which means that this one may not quite be either... but our next gen teaser could wind up being a clip instead of a full movie role. Or it could be a full movie role and the "antagonist" of this film that they're keeping secret for now, hence no merchandise yet. Though I guess Paul Ryan's in autumn on that already and would know by now what we're looking at there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom