• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest issue I have with that leak is the pricing. I don't own a switch but everyone says that the games are $60. Ignoring that even bundling, being only 79.99 would not make sense. That's too cheap. Gen VII bundles were literally the price of both games. And never do they make digital download cheaper.
I own a switch and think that is a fair price both botw and odyssey are 79.99 in prices btw i recommend you bought one already to be ready for the next pokemon game and also switch is a lot of fun it has a good library of games right now also labo seems fantastic will keep you busy until the next pokemon game ill be buying a labo soon and also little nightmares lol

I own a switch and think that is a fair price both botw and odyssey are 79.99 in prices btw i recommend you bought one already to be ready for the next pokemon game and also switch is a lot of fun it has a good library of games right now also labo seems fantastic will keep you busy until the next pokemon game ill be buying a labo soon and also little nightmares lol

Idk where you're buying but you're paying too much. Unless you got some special version.

Either way point is they are trying to say that Nintendo is going to sell both the games for the price of one. They won't do that, ever. They lose too much money. They'll bundle them in a special package that is at cheapest the price of both games, but nothing less than that. Pokemon is a popular game. It will not be below 60+

Idk where you're buying but you're paying too much. Unless you got some special version.

Either way point is they are trying to say that Nintendo is going to sell both the games for the price of one. They won't do that, ever. They lose too much money. They'll bundle them in a special package that is at cheapest the price of both games, but nothing less than that. Pokemon is a popular game. It will not be below 60+
Yeah sorry it was 59.99 the 79.99 was the special bundle lol i forgot but i guess 59.99 will be the price tag

Look, first of all I'm not trying to discriminate against anyone, so I don't know why you are feeling offended.
Regardless of your intent, saying that men and women are supposed to act certain ways has discriminatory implications.
As you certainly know by now, in times of old long past, men would be the warrior, hunter, worker, and gatherer, while the women would be at home taking care of the kids and some crops, making food, and overall supporting the man because he provided for the family.
The structure of early cultures aren't instinctual rules that everyone follows. The number of working women and stay-at-home dads today clearly shows that.
Third, Solgaleo is actually made more prominent in the anime, where the altar is called the Altar of the Sunne, not the Moone.
The anime is not created by Game Freak-why use it as an indicator of their intentions?
From the Dex entries you should know that Solgaleo -> "This Pokémon is said to be a male evolution of Cosmog.", Lunala -> "It is said to be a female evolution of Cosmog",
Gender was not my only point:
neither one of them is shown to be the one giving or receiving-they both play the exact same roles.

and whether you want to acknowledge it or not, males are symbolically represented by the sun, day, and force, while females are represented by the moon, night and form, among other things.
There are plenty of male figures associated with the moon and female figures associated with the sun.
I'm perfectly content in acknowledging that men have been associated with the sun and women with the moon-but I'm also acknowledging the fact that this association is not universal.
And like I said, the anime puts emphasis on it being Solgaleo and the Altar of the Sunne because it fits the symbolism better, while the games are forced to make due with what they can due to being dual versions.
The anime is based on the games, not the other way around. And if the games had to "make due with what they had", why not change the story more? It's not like there have never been more version differences than just version exclusives.

Last edited:
A reminder that 'generation' is an unofficial term and getting worked up over it is a little silly.

If what Paul Ryan is teasing about Gen 7 not being "done yet" turns out to be true, I'm both laughing and cringing at what the fandom's reaction will be. If it all comes down to it, the term "Generation" will have to get re-worked or get shelved all together.

What a day, Corocoro teasing stuff, a hero reappears, and the Crack Team is shutting down various sites.
What a time to be alive

What's going on with the other stuff not CoroCoro?

@TechSkylander1518 I don' want to try starting anything, but I wanted to put my two sense in because of the fact that I've been exposed to Asian culture. Even though Japan is Westernized to an extent, gender roles are still prevalent in their culture. Pokemon is originally from Japan, so it's going to have that influence. I mean, look how many Mom's we've had for the past 20+ years that just stayed at home?

I understand that you're offended, but the OP clearly wasn't trying to do that. He/she was just giving the simple facts about where the symbolism in Pokemon stems from.

Regardless of your intent, saying that men and women are supposed to act certain ways has discriminatory implications.

I'm perfectly content in acknowledging that men have been associated with the sun and women with the moon-but I'm also acknowledging the fact that this association is not universal.

I don't find the male/female thing being referenced here discriminatory as it draws from a historical context, though, and not expressing anyone's current day beliefs. Yeah, gender roles are more open now, but I don't think it's sexist to make reference to old ideas of male and female energies, such as yin and yang, where the male-sun/female-moon concept is also relevant. It might be outdated ideas that are less relevant in a modern age but... so are the many other beliefs and mythologies that Pokemon draws inspiration from.

Hey, just a quick reminder to stick to the topic of speculation about the upcoming generation. There are other places to discuss the differences between western and eastern cultures in a broad sense that aren't related to the riddles posted in this topic.

I understand that you're offended, but the OP clearly wasn't trying to do that. He/she was just giving the simple facts about where the symbolism in Pokemon stems from.

While I do agree with most of the interpretation the original poster had, just wanted to come in saying that in Japan the Sun is related to Amaterasu, Japan's most important deity (and a woman) while the Moon is related to Tsukiyomi, his brother.
Either way, in Pokémon world the Pokédex says Solgaleo is said to be male and Lunala female, so...

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that in this case the sex interpretation of both Sun and Moon in the Japanese mythology doesn't matter at all. Not wanting to start a argument, just a correction!

Anyway, in favor of getting back to proper gen 8 discussion- what are some important dates coming up? I know there's April 26th and whenever E3 is. Any other gaming conventions that might hold news? I'd like to compile a list of dates to keep an eye on.

E3 is at june april 12 might not bring anything new but april 26 will be the most important one i guess if they decide to change the date place holder to either 2018, 2019 or tba but if it turns out as 2018-onwards then it will be a riot again lol

Anyway, in favor of getting back to proper gen 8 discussion- what are some important dates coming up? I know there's April 26th and whenever E3 is. Any other gaming conventions that might hold news? I'd like to compile a list of dates to keep an eye on.

E3 starts on June 12th, that seems to be the last possible time they could announce something for this year. But who can say for sure at this point.

The curious thing that got me thinking, since they already announced smash for switch, Nintendo likely has to have something else lined up for the E3 wow factor to take home the show. They typically always have a trick or two up their sleeves. Could be possibly Metroid / Animal Crossing for that money slot given recent leaks, believe animal crossing is almost assured given the animal crossing website thing that got taken down a few days ago. To me though Pokemon would surely take home the show if they showed some footage and some gameplay since I doubt Metroid could accomplish that wow factor alone unless the new monolith soft game gets some focus.

E3 is at june april 12 might not bring anything new but april 26 will be the most important one i guess if they decide to change the date place holder to either 2018, 2019 or tba but if it turns out as 2018-onwards then it will be a riot again lol
Well there's that and also the merchandise reveals are scheduled for the 26th, so that's quite an interesting date to watch for.

E3 starts on June 12th, that seems to be the last possible time they could announce something for this year. But who can say for sure at this point.
Aren't there a couple of other events, though? I think there was two events besides E3 where we got some minor news for Sun and Moon (pokemon revealed)... uuuh... actually I remember which pokemon, so I'm going to go find those-

Turtonator - Gamescon
Crabrawler - Pokemon World Championships

Which would give us... August 21-25 and... August 24-26. Did not expect those to line up so closely. XD

Oh, I suppose I should note that I'm not thinking of just announcement dates, just likely news dates in general. =3

I'm personally expecting something like we got last generation- some sort of reveal before E3, maybe around early May, since Gamefreak doesn't seem to usually announce things at the event, preferring to give people something first and then promise more information at E3 to give people something to look forward to. However, they did reveal USUM and ORAS during E3, so I could definitely be wrong in my prediction- I will be pretty surprised if we don't hear anything at E3 though. Even if the game ends up releasing in 2019, I'd still expect to see something about it at this year's E3...

I'm personally expecting something like we got last generation- some sort of reveal before E3, maybe around early May, since Gamefreak doesn't seem to usually announce things at the event, preferring to give people something first and then promise more information at E3 to give people something to look forward to. However, they did reveal USUM and ORAS during E3, so I could definitely be wrong in my prediction- I will be pretty surprised if we don't hear anything at E3 though. Even if the game ends up releasing in 2019, I'd still expect to see something about it at this year's E3...

Nah, USUM was revealed in the June 6th Direct, alongside Pokkén DX, and got nothing at E3.
Same with ORAS. While is true the first real "trailer" was unfolded at E3, games themselves were announced May 7th (I think) with a boring 30 seconds Youtube video with literally nothing aside boxarts and release date.

I think USUM and ORAS also suffer the second version and remake stigma in that they can seem a bit more exciting if they're announced at E3 than if they were announced beforehand? Plus I don't think that there's a lot of gameplay reveal that you can do with those games to have much interesting to do at E3 besides announce them. A new generation has a great deal more gameplay to show off due to the new engine and just generally having more to show that wasn't already available in a previous game.

Oops, a bit late- Plubio got facts there. Go Plubio. XD

What if the leak is partially right?

A while back, I speculated that, with all of the Gen 1 and 2 pandering going on right now, and with rumors of a reboot, what if one version was set in Kanto and the other in Johto? With the opposite being Postgamr material, or something that you have to go to throughout the majority of the game. So at different and appropriate times, the level curve would be correct.

Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom