• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But didn't you say there's no way Gen 8 this year because of Zeraora?And that Pokemon Switch is definitely coming this year?
I said that the game wouldn't be revealed now because of Zeraora. I think that the Switch game is Gen 8 because it will get more sales and will better show off the capabilities of the Switch than a remake of a 22 year old Game Boy game.

I said that the game wouldn't be revealed now because of Zeraora. I think that the Switch game is Gen 8 because it will get more sales and will better show off the capabilities of the Switch than a remake of a 22 year old Game Boy game.

This is outlandish. A new region is impossible.

Why not Gen 8 start with a new game set in Kanto. Same setting does not equal a remake. I mean, Tales of Symphonia 2 had the same setting as the first game but it wasn't a remake. If we do get new games with a story set in Kanto I'd still personally count it as the next gen since it'd be weird to split a generation onto two different systems.

If they spent the same amount of time on a Kanto game as a new gen it will be just as impressive. Keep in mind most remakes get shorter timelines because they have engines already built, region and Pokémon premapped out. If you take the longer time frame and resources a new gen gets and apply it to a reimagining of an older gen it will be just as impressive. Regardless of where the game started.

Why not Gen 8 start with a new game set in Kanto. Same setting does not equal a remake. I mean, Tales of Symphonia 2 had the same setting as the first game but it wasn't a remake. If we do get new games with a story set in Kanto I'd still personally count it as the next gen since it'd be weird to split a generation onto two different systems.
It still won't sell as well as a new region game. They need to convince non Switch owners to buy a Switch, especially with Nintendo's goal to sell 20 million Switches by next year. What better way to get people to buy your system than a completely new region built with the Switch in mind?

And now, we're back to the old, tired argument about whether it's Kanto or a new region.

Take it away, folks!
OwO Here we go~ Imma get my horse beatin' stick!!

It's kinda silly so say that GF can't handle more than one region.. they just have to learn from past mistakes when they ever try again.

I don't think that there will be multiple regions. GS's awful level curve proves that GF can't handle having more than 1 region in a game.
What if they changed the lv system with a hard cap at 50 or something else of that nature? Also GS was a long time ago I’m pretty sure they learned from that

What if they changed the lv system with a hard cap at 50 or something else of that nature? Also GS was a long time ago I’m pretty sure they learned from that
They haven't done any multiregion game since GSC aside from HGSS, which made no attempt to fix GSC's awful level curve.

They haven't done any multiregion game since GSC aside from HGSS, which made no attempt to fix GSC's awful level curve.
HGSS was eight years ago. Three generations have come and gone since then. It's not an unreasonable proposal to suggest that GameFreak has learned from their mistakes. Personally I wouldn't want a Kanto postgame tacked onto a new region, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

HGSS was eight years ago. Three generations have come and gone since then. It's not an unreasonable proposal to suggest that GameFreak has learned from their mistakes. Personally I wouldn't want a Kanto postgame tacked onto a new region, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
They haven't. That's why we haven't seen any multiregion games since then and it is unlikely that we will get another one.

If Kanto gets enough new feature, a new spin on the story, some new characters and maybe even new Pokemon, I don't see why it wouldn't sell. I myself would prefer a new region over Kanto but that's just my personal preference. We haven't seen any official gameplay footage from the switch game so we shouldn't rush with condemning something that has yet to be announced. And a Kanto game would sell a ton of copies, let's not be delusional.

If Kanto gets enough new feature, a new spin on the story, some new characters and maybe even new Pokemon, I don't see why it wouldn't sell. I myself would prefer a new region over Kanto but that's just my personal preference. We haven't seen any official gameplay footage from the switch game so we shouldn't rush with condemning something that has yet to be announced. And a Kanto game would sell a ton of copies, let's not be delusional.
But not as much as a new region. New region games will always sell better than any remake.

But not as much as a new region. New region games will always sell better than any remake.
Remake would be something like FR/LG, in which case I agree. A game of that caliber would indeed sell less than a hypothetical game that contains a new region. However, if the Kanto game has enough new content and a different storyline then I don't see why it wouldn't do extremely well.

They haven't. That's why we haven't seen any multiregion games since then and it is unlikely that we will get another one.

... if there hasn’t been another multi region game since, then how could you possibly say with any certainty that they haven’t learned from their mistakes? I don’t mean any disrespect Riley, I’m sure you’re a very nice guy - but even your own stubbornness is starting to contradict your own statements.

Maybe based on Pixelpar drawings, we se Ash with Pikachu and Gary with Eevee.. What about a rebooted Pokémon Yellow and Green back to Kanto/Johto instead of Red and Blue? That's the rivality between two versions, Pikachu vs Eevee, that has been promoted a lot for merchandising during these nonsensical riddles.

I don't think that there will be multiple regions. GS's awful level curve proves that GF can't handle having more than 1 region in a game.

A 19 year old game is not good evidence to say "they clearly can't handle 2 regions", the opposite is more accurate actually, they have 19 years worth of feedback to make a better game with 2 regions.
And they did some adjustments in HGSS to that level curve, by the end of the game you're facing a level 70+ Elite four in preparation to Red and his almighty level 88 Pikachu (another thing they raised compared to the originals).

There's lots of things they can do to make a 2 region game possible without "horrible level scaling", they can just make you go to the other region in the middle of the adventure for plot reasons, and then keep doing your regular Gym challenge vs the rest of the Gym leaders, maybe even let you fight them before that and get absolutely destroyed... "kid... you need to train before this, better go to this other region to face more trainers and get stronger".

Another thing they can do is pull an "Ash Ketchum", make the player leave his pokemon with the Professor for a while and explore another region, getting a new starter and "uh oh, the PC system is broken you can't get your Pokemon back until we fix it".

2 Regions in a game doesn't mean the game will be a lot longer either, if you start in an Alola like region, having to do trials and then move into another region (let's say Kanto) to get your 8 Gym badges and face the good old Elite 4 they can make a varied game with those concepts and mix match them.

They have 20+ years of experience making Pokemon games by now, if they want to make a game with 2 regions, they will figure out how to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom