• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at this cool Missingno. art by TCG artist Tokiya.

Wow. I've gotta say, I've always been against making MissingNo a legitimate Pokemon, but thanks to this art I'm entirely reversing my stance. I'd love something like that one at the bottom, and giving it different forms for the other sprites is genius.

Give it a Substitute doll form since that's what it looked like if you uploaded it into Stadium.

I'm not a believer in the Zodiac theory. Cyndaquil is a hybrid of several animals, including shrews, tenrecs, porcupines, echidnas, and honey badgers, with its evolutions amping up the honey badger inspiration. Fennekin and its evolutions are based on fennec foxes. The "dog" of the Chinese Zodiac is a domesticated dog.
Yeah, I gotta agree with you there- kinda given up on arguing the matter, though, because people reeeeally seem to love that fan theory. XD So I can only hope that they give us a fire-starter soon that really doesn't fit- like a random elephant or something- just to get people to stop waving it around as an absolute fact. We can keep going with Zodiac-fitting mons after, because it's a fun theory, but boy do I wanna see the "validity" derailed just so it doesn't come up as "proof" of anything ever again.
It's always been a touchy subject, but I really like the zodiac thing. It makes sense that the first 2 games were meant to be pretty much it, so Charizard and Typhlosion definitely weren't in mind for the zodiac. Gen 3 to 5, though was all zodiac, 2 out of 3 having a chinese basis with the journey to the west. If this was really a thing for game freak, I think it happened between 4 and 5, honestly. as chance would have it, though they already had a western dragon, so it was like 4 out of 5. Combine that with the whole fire mouse debacle, and you got a cool coincidence, or it's on purpose. Gen 6 had a fox, a distant relative of the dog yeah, but still in the dog evolutionary chart, so you could argue they didnt avoid the zodiac. Gen 7 had tiger mask, which is pretty much another on the nose zodiac. So it's like 4 out of 7 definitely, 1 by chance, 1 by relative and 1 by mistake? Typhlosion always reminded me of a rat when it stood up straight for some reason.

Anyway, if the next fire starter isn't close enough to a snake, ox, ram, horse, or rabbit, then I guess it really was a coincidence. I'm just thinking it's not at this point. Also, if they go through all 12, they could loop around with say a chinese dragon, or an actual rat, or a centaur vs a pegasis etc. You never know.

so the important thing to remember, if there's truth to it, is that some are more loosely based than others, but besides Typhlosion they all match up fairly well, I've thought since gen 5-6. Pokemon don't always match up perfectly with any of their real world inspirations afterall.

Last edited:
It's always been a touchy subject, but I really like the zodiac thing. It makes sense that the first 2 games were meant to be pretty much it, so Charizard and Typhlosion definitely weren't in mind for the zodiac. Gen 3 to 5, though was all zodiac, 2 out of 3 having a chinese basis with the journey to the west. If this was really a thing for game freak, I think it happened between 4 and 5, honestly. as chance would have it, though they already had a western dragon, so it was like 4 out of 5. Combine that with the whole fire mouse debacle, and you got a cool coincidence, or it's on purpose. Gen 6 had a fox, a distant relative of the dog yeah, but still in the dog evolutionary chart, so you could argue they didnt avoid the zodiac. Gen 7 had tiger mask, which is pretty much another on the nose zodiac. So it's like 4 out of 7 definitely, 1 by chance, 1 by relative and 1 by mistake? Typhlosion always reminded me of a rat when it stood up straight for some reason.

Anyway, if the next fire starter isn't close enough to a snake, ox, ram, horse, or rabbit, then I guess it really was a coincidence. I'm just thinking it's not at this point. Also, if they go through all 12, they could loop around with say a chinese dragon, or an actual rat, or a centaur vs a pegasis etc. You never know.
I think what's gonna bother me, if it is a true thing that GameFreak is doing, is that we would wind up with another fire-type horse line- when we already have Ponyta. Why we gotta go do that to poor Ponyta?

If we're gonna get more horses, I'd rather we spread the types out more, like... I want to say "water-type" because of hippocamps and kelpies, but we have dumb Keldeo already. >.>; ....it's legendary, though, that totally means that water gun hooves over there doesn't count, right? Let's get some real water horses.

I think what's gonna bother me, if it is a true thing that GameFreak is doing, is that we would wind up with another fire-type horse line- when we already have Ponyta. Why we gotta go do that to poor Ponyta?

If we're gonna get more horses, I'd rather we spread the types out more, like... I want to say "water-type" because of hippocamps and kelpies, but we have dumb Keldeo already. >.>; ....it's legendary, though, that totally means that water gun hooves over there doesn't count, right? Let's get some real water horses.
I've thought about Rapidash myself. I was thinking the zodiac fire horse, if it's a thing, would be more like Orobas or some other standing horse myth cuz the fire starters always seem to stand up. It could also be based on a centaur, or pegasus, or some other horse related thing, like a knight or a pun or something. There's been a few fire cats too, but they got pretty creative with incineroar I feel.

Also had a fire fox and dog, some fire monkeys since, but even if they have been following the zodiac pattern since gens 3-5, they could always stop whenever they choose. Knowing Game Freak, they tend to get unpredicatble eventually!

Last edited:
I've thought about Rapidash myself. I was thinking the zodiac fire horse, if it's a thing, would be more like Orobas or some other standing horse myth cuz the fire starters always seem to stand up. It could also be based on a centaur, or pegasus, or some other horse related thing, like a knight or a pun or something. There's been a few fire cats too, but they got pretty creative with incineroar I feel.

Also a fire fox, but even if they have been following the zodiac pattern since gens 3-5, they could always stop whenever they chhose. Knowing Game Freak, they tend to get unpredicatble eventually!
I guess a standing horse would work without stepping on Ponyta's turf... certainly would gain little popularity with the folks who prefer four-legged pokemon over two-legged ones. XD ...like me... it's okay, Ponyta, you will always be loved.

If we got a pegasus, though, I'd like to see it given as a new evolution or mega evolution for rapidash. It deserves those wings.

I guess a standing horse would work without stepping on Ponyta's turf... certainly would gain little popularity with the folks who prefer four-legged pokemon over two-legged ones. XD ...like me... it's okay, Ponyta, you will always be loved.

If we got a pegasus, though, I'd like to see it given as a new evolution or mega evolution for rapidash. It deserves those wings.
A mega for Rapidash would really make sense as a pegasis! Theres a buch of cool horse creatures out there, so maybe they coud get a sort of eevee line sometime? A flying pegasis, a fairy unicorn, a ghostly nucklavee, a water kelpie, a psychic orobas, a firey underworld horse? It could work, maybe.

Reactions: SGD
We've actually already had a similar situation to this-the Froakie line and the Poliwhirl line are both Water-types based on Frogs. I think GF can make a design with the same concepts while still being different enough to keep Ponyta safe.

We've actually already had a similar situation to this-the Froakie line and the Poliwhirl line are both Water-types based on Frogs. I think GF can make a design with the same concepts while still being different enough to keep Ponyta safe.
Well, that does happen often, especially with the water-type pokemon, because there's only so many types you can assign to aquatic creatures like frogs and fish. =/ It's just that horses could be so many things- it's like the fire fox situation all over again. I'd just rather avoid repeating them. Especially with so few horses as it is- at least with the foxes, we were already double between vulpix and flareon.

A mega for Rapidash would really make sense as a pegasis! Theres a buch of cool horse creatures out there, so maybe they coud get a sort of eevee line sometime? A flying pegasis, a fairy unicorn, a ghostly nucklavee, a water kelpie, a psychic orobas, a firey underworld horse? It could work, maybe.

Maybe some could be regional variants! =D We've got two horse lines we can work with now- water-type ponyta line, maybe? And uh... *squints at mudbray* ...we could... do something with you, I'm sure...

I'm not a believer in the Zodiac theory. Cyndaquil is a hybrid of several animals, including shrews, tenrecs, porcupines, echidnas, and honey badgers, with its evolutions amping up the honey badger inspiration. Fennekin and its evolutions are based on fennec foxes. The "dog" of the Chinese Zodiac is a domesticated dog.

As an absolute Monotreme Fanatic, I'm gonna have to give a hard No to Cyndaquil deriving any features from Echidnas, it much more of a Yellow Streaked Tenrec and maybe a Shrew, with Porcupine Spines.
It has a snout like Tenrec/Shrew, not a Beak like an Echidna.
It has a bipedal stance with forward facing feet like some shrew, not a quadrupedal stands with backwards facing hind feet.
It's flames are far more akin to the Quills of a Porcupine (山荒 yama-arashi) or sensory hairs of the Yellow Streaked Tenrec than the spines of Echidnas.

As an absolute Monotreme Fanatic, I'm gonna have to give a hard No to Cyndaquil deriving any features from Echidnas, it much more of a Yellow Streaked Tenrec and maybe a Shrew, with Porcupine Spines.
It has a snout like Tenrec/Shrew, not a Beak like an Echidna.
It has a bipedal stance with forward facing feet like some shrew, not a quadrupedal stands with backwards facing hind feet.
It's flames are far more akin to the Quills of a Porcupine (山荒 yama-arashi) or sensory hairs of the Yellow Streaked Tenrec than the spines of Echidnas.
XD Might wanna see about getting that fixed on the bulbapedia article, then, because it lists echidna as Cyndaquil's primary inspiration, which is probably why Riley mentioned it here.

It'd be nice that, should we get a Kanto revisit in Gen…whatever the heck it is, they decide to grant some Evolutions/Forms/Megas to old Pokémon just to tide people other a little longer until a new Region is released.

It'd also be nice if they did that regardless of the next location, but ya know, just covering the bases.

If we get a fire horse starter I'd like it to be a Pegasus lol or if we just get another horse based Pokémon that doesn't need to be a starter because i want a Pegasus based Pokémon for reasons lol. It could take some inspiration from Helios' Pegasi that he uses to ride through the sky in his Chariot. Those Pegasi would likely have an attribute to fire since they belong to the God of the Sun in Greek mythology. Just don't give them a horn because then they would be Alicorns o_O

If we get a fire horse starter I'd like it to be a Pegasus lol or if we just get another horse based Pokémon that doesn't need to be a starter because i want a Pegasus based Pokémon for reasons lol. It could take some inspiration from Helios' Pegasi that he uses to ride through the sky in his Chariot. Those Pegasi would likely have an attribute to fire since they belong to the God of the Sun in Greek mythology. Just don't give them a horn because then they would be Alicorns o_O
I vote more horses in general! New region with a field of assorted wild horses and horse-myths, let's do it! 8D With a town nearby with a rodeo and a race track- maybe a show jumping-type mini game. We could do a bunch of cool horse things. On horses. And maybe other pokemon too that could reasonably participate in the same kind of activities.

Ooooh, what if it was a place that trains Poke-Rides, even? Then we could train our own pokemon to be Poke-Rides and have more options on what we get to ride around.

Apparently the Water starters are based on weapons.

Swampert is a war fan, Blastoice is a tank, Empoleon is a trident but what is Primarima? Grenade?

Apparently the Water starters are based on weapons.

Swampert is a war fan, Blastoice is a tank, Empoleon is a trident but what is Primarima? Grenade?
I think I heard is was some kind of flail, as in the studs on it's body. Honestly, I was never aware of the weapon connection until this year. I've heard of the prehistoric grass connection, though I think the fire zodiac bit is a lot easier to argue for than the other 2. Could be why we here about it all the time.

Oh, but they are all things that can exist on land or in the water, like others have said. Makes sense for water starters, that's for sure!

Blastoise has cannons
Feraligatr has no weapons
Swampert has a water fan, but it didn't learn aqua tail until gen 5
Empoleon has no weapons
Samurot has swords
Greninja has ninja stars
Primarina has no weaons
Thats 3.5/7
I don't believe the weapons theory

Blastoise has cannons
Empoleon has no weapons
Samurot has swords
Greninja has ninja stars
Primarina has no weaons
Thats 3.5/7
Empoleon does have a trident face, but that still leaves out Feraligatr, so... definitely coincidence, I think.

Blastoise has cannons
Empoleon has no weapons
Samurot has swords
Greninja has ninja stars
Primarina has no weaons
Thats 3.5/7

According to the Theory: Feraligatr is supposedly Brass Knuckles, Primarina is supposed to be a Flail or a Mace and Empoleon has sharp wings? And a Trident on its face, but Greninja's Shuirken aren't part of its design, their a Move.

It's wishful thinking at best, and even then it's pushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom