• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
my wishful thinking, extremely hopeful, unlikely theory is that. . . .

The reason nothing is currently pointing towards a new generation, there's no gen 8 tease in m21 as far as we know, etc, is because gamefreak/TPCi are intentionally keeping it under wraps to surprise everyone with the reveal trailer and start the pre-release off with a bang. To have it really come out of nowhere.

The issue with this though is that it just feels like bad marketing to not put a gen 8 mon in the movie if the game were to launch this year. Another problem is if this was the case, why not reveal earlier in the year?
I kinda wonder if the lack of news isn't due to two things-

1) they're trying not to give us a dry spell like what happened when Sun and Moon were announced in February and we didn't get news until May, hence the late start on news,

2) they're keeping things on lockdown (not releasing new pokemon early even for movies/merchandise) after Sun and Moon's starter evos got leaked early. They may have lost trust in people and are keeping things under tighter wraps so nothing gets out. So we're not getting even hints of anything early.

In-Thread 4/17/18
Before it continues, let's cool it on the discussion about whether the various youtubers and twitter leakers are toxic trolls or attention-seekers. It's not going to get us anywhere but angry at each other, and it's only vaguely related to Gen 8 speculation at this point.

1) they're trying not to give us a dry spell like what happened when Sun and Moon were announced in February and we didn't get news until May, hence the late start on news,

2) they're keeping things on lockdown (not releasing new pokemon early even for movies/merchandise) after Sun and Moon's starter evos got leaked early. They may have lost trust in people and are keeping things under tighter wraps so nothing gets out. So we're not getting even hints of anything early.

If I was betting man, I would say both are factors potentially.

Occam's Razor tells me we aren't getting anything because GF isn't ready to tell us or we aren't getting the game until 2019.

Paul Ryan was getting down in the mud today with people, being kind of condescending. I had to unfollow him. It's a shame, as he had good insights, but some of the bigger Pokefancommunity guys are getting a bit big for their britches - Merrick and Ryan being the biggest offenders (imo).

Oh don't get me wrong Paul Ryan is like the merch version of Joe. He can be VERY snobby at times and it's pretty irritating. I just don't like how much of the fandom is acting the last few months. The community has gotten pretty toxic and it's not cool to treat anyone with anger or meanness over something as dumb as a video game.

The merchandise is something serious. If new pokemon are on the way they need to make and sell products about them. At the moment there are none, even as mysteries. This is the only thing that makes me believe that a remake/reboot thing is more likely.

yeah that's true. This reminds me of a post I saw on resetera last night where that person who posts stuff about the riddler/chinese leakers stuff made a point (idk how valid/credible this is) but if there was new pokemon coming this year, or even next year, naming would already be done and the riddler would've already hinted something about it by this point.

I've been hoping that the "reboot/what defines a generation?" aspect of the switch game would be that it was old region + new pokemon, but it's starting to look like that wont be the case. :(

Oh don't get me wrong Paul Ryan is like the merch version of Joe. He can be VERY snobby at times and it's pretty irritating. I just don't like how much of the fandom is acting the last few months. The community has gotten pretty toxic and it's not cool to treat anyone with anger or meanness over something as dumb as a video game.

The same thing is happening in the Star Wars community as well. It's tough out there. I am not sure if this is a reflection of the times or just peak internet culture being peak internet culture.

Back to speculating...

The games will be called Pokemon Noneya. And they're coming out the 35th of Nevuary. :sneaky:

Both seem reasonable to me, the latter for the stated reasons and the former may also be because of their uncertainty about the game coming out this year or next, when they publically release at least the Offical Year, they might be more confident to start marketing.

That being said I expect some kind of tease in the movie regardless of the release date for the next games as Pokémon like Munchlax were revealed over two years prior to Gen IV's release (in Japan).

It sucks that the insanity and negativity drove away Paul, but at the same time I think he somewhat brought it on himself when he knowingly let people know that he saw something other than Zeraora that wasn't involved with Eevee.

But I wonder too since @Oriden brought up the secrecy thing that maybe he got some sort of notice from the Big N themselves? I mean, some dude was being chased because they had "leaked" a November 2018 release date, and Paul did mention that he couldn't say anything after the 26th of April...

In fairness the fandom has become rather restless to the point of darn near insanity.

No merchandise points to it and not heling is that this is a movie focusing on mainly Gen 1 + 2 mons

1) Fandom needs to stop being so demanding. Back in my day, we had to wait AGES before any news about Gold and Silver broke here in the West. Talk about fake news. The internet was not what it is now. I think we are spoiled now and demand instant gratification.

2) That's true, stranger things have happened.

I think people are getting crazy over the upcoming games, rumors splitting fans up, if these games don't get announced soon, this is going to turn into A CIVIL WAR!
Okay, kinda being partially sarcastic i guess,
Whether it be gen 8 or kanto remake or a combination of a new gen and a kanto remake, I kind of just want to see what it is.. or I may go crazy (not really)
"IF GAMEFREAK DOESNT SET THOSE GAMES FREE, IT WILL BE THE END OF ALL US. NOOOO!!!!"

No merchandise points to it and not heling is that this is a movie focusing on mainly Gen 1 + 2 mons
I don't know, the thing about the merchandise, though, is that Magearna was revealed before the movie, so of course there was merchandise leading up to it. But it also played a major role in the film, necessitating that early announcement. This time, the major roles go to Lugia and Zeraora- if eevee (or any evolution of it) has a role in this film, it's soundly been relegated to relatively minor character status by comparison. This could lead to the movie being the first reveal of an eeveelution, and any merchandise for it may come afterward due to its movie role being of minor importance (even though the fans would give a hell of a lot more of a crap about a new eeveelution than lugia and zeraora at this point).

I just think it's possible, that if a new eeveelution is in the film, it's not getting the attention that we would expect because they really want to focus on Zeraora instead. The eeveelution, by comparison, might just evolve in the midst of it and then proceed to play no major role aside from being there and a low key teaser for what's to come.

I've been hoping that the "reboot/what defines a generation?" aspect of the switch game would be that it was old region + new pokemon, but it's starting to look like that wont be the case. :(

Should we be excited or frightened by what that may entail?

I think there is no way we could've avoided everyone having giant expectations. With an opening act like what we saw last year, everyone wants whatever is on the Switch to be massive. However, having low expectations, to me, is to lose faith in the franchise at all. If you want to do that, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom