• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think both Kalos and Alola had beatiful environments and pokemon designs. The real problem was the main plot. Both had huge premises, first time they mentioned an actual war and an alien invasion but what did we get? All the AZ/war story was synthesized in a flashback and the UBs litterally played no major role and all became a family issue. Let's not talk about Necrozma. I mean, do you remember Giratina and Kyurem? The distortion world was amazing and so was Kyurem freezing Unova. Necrozma? Ultra Megalopolis was a great concept, they even created an artwork for it...and then? A short corridor. I didn't even notice that the light was stolen from Alola cause no one really pointed it out at the end so I didn't even care.
TBF, it was always about the Aeather family with other characters getting side arcs as the plot unfolded.

I think both Kalos and Alola had beatiful environments and pokemon designs. The real problem was the main plot. Both had huge premises, first time they mentioned an actual war and an alien invasion but what did we get? All the AZ/war story was synthesized in a flashback and the UBs litterally played no major role and all became a family issue. Let's not talk about Necrozma. I mean, do you remember Giratina and Kyurem? The distortion world was amazing and so was Kyurem freezing Unova. Necrozma? Ultra Megalopolis was a great concept, they even created an artwork for it...and then? A short corridor. I didn't even notice that the light was stolen from Alola cause no one really pointed it out at the end so I didn't even care.

I think its important to understand that the stories and character development told in pokemon have never been good. Compared to the average JRPG, pokemon is severely lacking in this department and always have. Distortion word was ok as an idea, it wasn't creative mind you nor did they do much with it. it felt mostly underdeveloped since it was slapped in near the end, it would have been good to see more done with it and it would have been good to see the story go somewhere, after the distortion word it just died and you have to get Cyrus's history from random NPC players which is annoying. I do think think that Unova as its story concept was done well, using the dragon as a literal weapon for domination, that was refreshing, I feel overall they did that well and the way it ended and gave us a backstory was nice for once. I feel storywise Unova will always be the best for pokemon standards, but like Gen 7, near the end it was basically a family affair using the abuse card thrown at us.

I hope in Gen 8 we get a real villain, just does stuff for the fun in it, no self gain, just does stuff because he can. Dont want any random family sob stories, just give us a real evil team lol

Than again at least it wasn't like Unova which was trying to be US themed and did that fine at the start but then by the end of the game we had a bunch of asian mythology and other world references chucked in and we are confused on what the game is trying to be lol. Being part Hawaiian myself, it was truly nice to see a game where they actually payed homage to the real world region the game was being inspired from, that and Kalos did a good job. I would love to see this again for future games. Even if we go back to Kanto, it would be nice to see a more Japanese inspired approach to Kanto, that would be refreshing.
America is a melting pot of various cultures.

My only hope for the next Pokémon games' story is that it's separated from your adventure like other RPG games, I know you'd still have to beat the Gyms to get around the region, but it'd be nice if I could go all the way to the Pokémon league without being dragged into the story because…linearity.

This is true, but so is France, and we didnt have that much mess. I think it would have been nice to see more of America. As a non American, this would have really intrigued me.

This is actually a good point. Unova was based on New York, and as someone who lived there, I can say it wasn't just a city. It had people from all different countries, and all different food places. The architecture was from normal typical city to being Greek and Roman inspired. It was definitely a melting pot. Heck living now in another state I still see a lot of people from foreign countries, just different from those in NY. So it made sense that it would be mixed. I've never been to Hawaii, but it's always portrayed to be rich with Hawaiin culture, so why not make it that way? Same with Kalos. Why should it have mixed culture, if the place it's based on is rich with that culture?

Johto wasn't even subtle. Ecructeak was straight up obviously a reference to Kyoto. It wasn't subtle, but to non Japanese it probably seemed that way.

This is true, but so is France, and we didnt have that much mess. I think it would have been nice to see more of America. As a non American, this would have really intrigued me.
America doesn't have much of a culture like places such as Japan and Italy and so on. Our culture is diversity. Unova showed diversity and that's all we really have. We have deserts, and mountains and forests. But there is nothing that screams American. We aren't really culture heavy unless you want cowboys. That's the most you'll get cultural is western, and considering Unova was based on NY where that kind of stuff ain't big in the culture, I'm not surprised it wasn't heavy. Even so they had Clay, so even did that. We don't really have much at all that is so us. Except burgers. Burgers are American.

I was not talking about multiverse, I was actually talking about RR. I don't think we will see them again. I feel like the episode was just a sort of celebration of 20 years of pokemon villains, it was meant to close a chapter imo not to start another one. I'm not expecting to see them back in the future.

Apparently TPCi is still promoting USUM. Isn't it a bit weird if they are going to announce two new games soon?

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/987380210915053569

In that case they should have ended it with Giovanni disbanding rainbow rocket, it does not it ends on a cliff hanger

"Now what world shall I invade next" and he vanishs it is set up for them to come back, now with the other villain bosses? Probably not but as rainbow rocket themselves yeah they kinda have to come back they're still at large.

I think it's since mid-february that people keep saying that we are "close" to an announcement.

the era mod tweet is different in the sense they have been known to have credible sources more often than not.

Saying "reveal is near isn't really a rumor" implies he's talking about the game getting revealed ahead of the investors meeting.

I posted the second tweet because we now have numerous content creators coming out and saying the same "I got a tip and now think believe in a 2018 release" and while there deff is an attention seeking aspect to it, if there is info floating around that so many of them have heard/seen + serebii then it seems like we're close to the tipping point

I hope in Gen 8 we get a real villain, just does stuff for the fun in it, no self gain, just does stuff because he can. Dont want any random family sob stories, just give us a real evil team lol

I actually could go for the opposite... I'd like a non-villain, like the Lusamine concept in a way, except I don't want a "bad guy because they elected to ignore the feelings of everyone around them because they had tunnel vision for their one stupid selfish goal." Let's go more "no one's right or wrong, you both have valid views, let's find a way to compromise" instead. Because I think it would be more of an educational approach to do a conflict with no actual right or wrong side.

What would be even more interesting is if the side you're on depends on what version you play, so the story could be very different between them, because you're exploring the story from a different side, and yet both would ultimately come to the same conclusion.

the era mod tweet is different in the sense they have been known to have credible sources more often than not.

Saying "reveal is near isn't really a rumor" implies he's talking about the game getting revealed ahead of the investors meeting.

I posted the second tweet because we now have numerous content creators coming out and saying the same "I got a tip and now think believe in a 2018 release" and while there deff is an attention seeking aspect to it, if there is info floating around that so many of them have heard/seen + serebii then it seems like we're close to the tipping point
I got a tip and now I believe in a 2022 release. Prove me wrong.
This is what I mean. Just because someone says something doesn't mean it's true if they don't show evidence of what they are saying or they have at least something real leaked in the past. Guys, there's a small possibility for next week because of the investors meeting and the merchandise reveals, but just because of that and remember that it's just a possibility that can totally be nothing in the end.

I got a tip and now I believe in a 2022 release. Prove me wrong.
This is what I mean. Just because someone says something doesn't mean it's true if they don't show evidence of what they are saying or they have at least something real leaked in the past. Guys, there's a small possibility for next week because of the investors meeting and the merchandise reveals, but just because of that and remember that it's just a possibility that can totally be nothing in the end.

It's totally possible that nothing could happen by the end of next week, but I wouldn't exactly call the possibility of a reveal small. Logically, next week makes the most sense for a reveal.

I agree that just because someone says something doesn't mean its true, of course, but with this many people all coming out and saying similar things in a similar timeframe, it's definitely possible info is floating around. If information is possibly starting to get leaked, a reveal is near. I'm not saying that I believe any of the content creator tweets 100% because as I've said, there definitely is an attention seeking aspect to it, but the ones with massive followings (such as aDrive, serebii) are likely to receive tips at some point from time to time

Yes, it's best to remain skeptical, but a reveal next week is very possible. If it's a 2018 release, a reveal will definitely happen anywhere from next week to E3 (although e3 might be pushing it).

Last edited:
My only hope for the next Pokémon games' story is that it's separated from your adventure like other RPG games, I know you'd still have to beat the Gyms to get around the region, but it'd be nice if I could go all the way to the Pokémon league without being dragged into the story because…linearity.

I dont
This is actually a good point. Unova was based on New York, and as someone who lived there, I can say it wasn't just a city. It had people from all different countries, and all different food places. The architecture was from normal typical city to being Greek and Roman inspired. It was definitely a melting pot. Heck living now in another state I still see a lot of people from foreign countries, just different from those in NY. So it made sense that it would be mixed. I've never been to Hawaii, but it's always portrayed to be rich with Hawaiin culture, so why not make it that way? Same with Kalos. Why should it have mixed culture, if the place it's based on is rich with that culture?

Johto wasn't even subtle. Ecructeak was straight up obviously a reference to Kyoto. It wasn't subtle, but to non Japanese it probably seemed that way.

America doesn't have much of a culture like places such as Japan and Italy and so on. Our culture is diversity. Unova showed diversity and that's all we really have. We have deserts, and mountains and forests. But there is nothing that screams American. We aren't really culture heavy unless you want cowboys. That's the most you'll get cultural is western, and considering Unova was based on NY where that kind of stuff ain't big in the culture, I'm not surprised it wasn't heavy. Even so they had Clay, so even did that. We don't really have much at all that is so us. Except burgers. Burgers are American.

That makes more sense. Thanks for explaining, that seems more logical.

I actually could go for the opposite... I'd like a non-villain, like the Lusamine concept in a way, except I don't want a "bad guy because they elected to ignore the feelings of everyone around them because they had tunnel vision for their one stupid selfish goal." Let's go more "no one's right or wrong, you both have valid views, let's find a way to compromise" instead. Because I think it would be more of an educational approach to do a conflict with no actual right or wrong side.

What would be even more interesting is if the side you're on depends on what version you play, so the story could be very different between them, because you're exploring the story from a different side, and yet both would ultimately come to the same conclusion.

She was good as a character tbh. Def agreed, it would be nice to have someone different for a change.

Seeing aDrive post that really surprised me, but I think the Resetera mod guy is probably more credible. It is really weird that all of a sudden these people are coming out and saying this all at once, but I agree that the investor's meeting by itself is enough to believe that we'll hear something of some kind. I would advise to watch TPC's and Masuda's Twitter as well if we are getting something this coming week.

I'm going to admit that recent one of Masuda's when he's posing in front of the M21 poster with him basically saying "gotta catch 'em all" reminds me so much of when he teased Rainbow Rocket. I'm not saying it necessarily means anything, but it just eerily reminded me of it.

In-thread (April 21)
Hey everyone, with the most recent drama in the thread. We've noticed some posts about trying to keep away from controversial discussions. While this is a good thing of wanting to move away from the topic, the act of trying to move them away from these kind of heated arguments is something that the Staff will be taking care of ;). If you however notice that the current conversation is steering towards becoming a heated argument then please to use the report function to bring it to our attention
Also there was an addition to one of the section of the rules earlier today here that has relation to the above announcement. So if you all haven't seen yet then you may want to look over the new rule addition. ;)

So if it's generation 8 in a new region, itll have a new group of pokemon, though no telling how big or how small. As others have pointed out, no new group has ever been under 100 counting megas, ultra beasts or regional variants. Anyway though, if it's a reimagining of kanto, I still see them adding new pokemon, maybe even the same amount as I already mentioned, taking into account regional variants and stuff. So, option 2 would still basically be a new generation, just set in a reimagined region, eh? The only way I don't see new pokemon realisticly would be a gen 4 remake as the first switch game. That's all the stuff I'm thinking, anyway.

This year or next, winter, spring or fall, I see any of those 3 possibilities as well, possible.

Last edited:
So if it's generation 8 in a new region, itll have a new group of pokemon, though no telling how big or how small. As others have pointed out, no new group has ever been under 100 counting megas, ultra beasts or regional variants. Anyway though, if it's a reimagining of kanto, I still see them adding new pokemon, maybe even the same amount as I already mentioned, taking into account regional variants and stuff. So, option 2 would still basically be a new generation, just set in a reimagined region, eh? The only way I don't see new pokemon realisticly would be a gen 4 remake as the first switch game. That's all the stuff I'm thinking, anyway.

This year or next, winter, spring or fall, I see any of those 3 possibilities as well, possible.
I think if we get a return to Kanto, the most we can hope for is maybe a load of new regional variants if we're lucky. Doesn't make much sense to just add a bunch of entirely new species to Kanto. Maybe a few, but certainly not a majority?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom