• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I hope this isn't another Pokemon Day situation.Please.
edit:I don't think he says he knows more than us.A few weeks ago he was just speculating
View: https://youtu.be/Vr8haAz2DaY

Yeah Spawnwave and his crew are admittedly not that involved in Pokemon or haven't been since like the first two Generations so it is doubtful that their discussion is more than just speculation.

As an aside Spawnwave and his crew always make me feel like a piece of meat. Like whenever nonpoketubers talk about Pokemon Switch it seems to be about how the game can bring back old players by "reinvigorating" the formula or game play. They want it to be completely unexpected. Its like whatever changes are made or not, Pokemon fans are going to get the game. Thus our opinions matter less than those individuals who haven't played since the first two gens or people who have never gotten into Pokemon. I'm probably overreacting, but I just want to know if anyone else feels this way with the more widespread representation of Pokemon Switch (news, rumors, or otherwise) on the net...

Last edited:
It’s a shame, really. When Pokémon Go was really popular, I was really sad that it only had gen 1 Pokémon. Then, after most people stopped caring (myself included), they finally added Johto Pokémon, and the people that I knew that did still actually play stopped because of that. Like, I don’t get it. New Pokémon aren’t bad. Why do “genwunners” have to be a thing? (I apologize for my use of the term, but in this instance I’m specifically referring to those that feel everything after it shouldn’t exist).

EDIT: this was in response to @Icy Wind but for some reason the quote didn’t work.

It’s a shame, really. When Pokémon Go was really popular, I was really sad that it only had gen 1 Pokémon. Then, after most people stopped caring (myself included), they finally added Johto Pokémon, and the people that I knew that did still actually play stopped because of that. Like, I don’t get it. New Pokémon aren’t bad. Why do “genwunners” have to be a thing? (I apologize for my use of the term, but in this instance I’m specifically referring to those that feel everything after it shouldn’t exist).

EDIT: this was in response to @Icy Wind but for some reason the quote didn’t work.
I deleted the post accidently.

And yeah, it’s silly how some people would only jump back in the franchise if they erased every non-kanto pokemon

I deleted the post accidently.

And yeah, it’s silly how some people would only jump back in the franchise if they erased every non-kanto pokemon
Lol well that would explain it.

Yeah, I don’t get it. I mean, preferring one generation over the other is perfectly acceptable. But to discredit everything that’s been made since? That would be like saying that every Zelda game after the original Zelda game sucks. Franchises grow. For better or for worse.

I'd gladly visit Kanto for more regional variants. Would make suffering another Kanto trip worthwhile lol

There would surely be some new inventions and events relating to Silph Co which would be exciting too!

I do wonder about some sort of collaboration between Aether and Silph technicians that, by studying for example the Ultra Wormholes combined with the various Silph technologies:

Just one possibility would be that it results in a device that can be worn by Pokemon that would somehow safely transfer and carry trainers and in turn their other Pokemon within Pokeballs.. Something of a Pokeball for people but it might not be that shape.

This would be designed to allow the trainer to still communicate from the inside with the Pokemon. Gameplay would be moving around as whichever Pokemon would wear the item, and it could allow different locations to be accessed, and some unique events to happen because there would only be a Pokemon present! It might be a bit too complicated for this first new Switch game but maybe later!
There could still be battles which would begin with the active Pokemon but they would be able to activate the device either at any time or when fainting, to bring the trainer out of the device. But, some areas would be too small, eg caverns, or might be too steep or hot or cold for the trainer to be released, so the battles would have to be won as that Pokemon. I'm not sure whether items could be released individually from the device but that would be helpful!

I wonder if gamefreak would give kanto it's own "thing" and what it would be

every region has a theme/feel, something that makes it unique, but Kanto doesn't really have much going for it in that regard other than being the first region to be featured

I wonder if gamefreak would give kanto it's own "thing" and what it would be

every region has a theme/feel, something that makes it unique, but Kanto doesn't really have much going for it in that regard other than being the first region to be featured
Kanto's theme is industrialism and technology. It also serves as a counterpart to its neighboring region, Johto, which is rustic and traditional.

Last edited:
I'm not sure changing Kanto would be "controversial" at all.....People keep acting like new and old players would be distraught if Kanto was changed in any profound way. It's not like the series would collapse if Kanto was changed in anyway. People would play the games and decide if they like the changes for themselves. It's being too presumptuous to say that any change at all would "alienate" older players. I've been playing since the very beginning and I can tell you that any and all changes to the original story/region would be very welcome. If people want to play an unchanged and "pure" version of the original story/region there are plenty of ways for them to do it. They can play the VC releases and they can buy FRLG. Hell if they really want to be that annoying about it they can play the games on the GB to get their "pure" Kanto experience. What GF needs to do is ignore anyone that would have that much of a problem. Innovation shouldn't be stifled just because some people don't want change to Kanto. If they want to return to Kanto in the new game then they need to do something that will give people a reason to want to return as well. They can't get away with a straight re-remake with this. If people want a pure gen 1 experience then they can play the multiple other games that give that to them. Nothing is stopping them from doing that. Using "alienation" and "controversy" as an excuse not to change Kanto is silly imo.

Plus if the rumors are true about this game being about Traditions VS Innovations then isn't this kind of the point? They shouldn't play it safe with the next game. They should get as weird and out there with it. They got a good start on that with removing gyms and adding trials, but they could go further.

Also one last thing. Just like people shouldn't confuse graphics with art style, people also shouldn't confuse game concepts with a good game. If you don't like a game concept then that doesn't automatically mean the game is bad......Just keep that in mind.....

I'm saying that the new games are not confirmed to be Kanto remakes. A new gen is just as likely to happen.
Yup, going back to my post a page or 2 ago, I think this Kanto revist is just as likely as gen 8. For that matter, could be a gen 1 remake, or reimagining of Kanto and yes it might bother some to have new locations or pokemon added, it's still possible at this point. What fans do or don't want really isn't Game Freak or Nintendo's first concern, you know? If they want to do it, they'll do it, like it or not. As others have pointed out, this alternate dimension stuff will excuse anything they do any how, and old places that you come back to can and will look different years later, eh? Anyhow, we could also get a sequel, a remake of gen 4, or maybe something different entirely? Still no concrete information, unfortunately. It's like trying to explain what the stars were before before people knew about astrology or something.

I'm saying that the new games are not confirmed to be Kanto remakes. A new gen is just as likely to happen.

I don't think kanto remake will happen, i even thing it will not happen in next gen.
The next game will for sure a next gen game, and i think we will have a sinnoh remake than a kanto remake.

Okay folks, though we don't really know anything about the games yet besides rumors and possible leaks, but based on these rumors alone what lone game concept does everyone believe is the most likely outcome and why? Gen 8 regular, gen 8 kanto hybrid, gen 1 remake mark II, gen 4 remake, or another game entirely? Which ones have the most credibility, which one makes the most sense?Which ones fair, practical, exciting, or holds the most potential? By now, we must all be at least a little predisposed to one idea or another, fairness aside? For me, though I'd prefer gen 8 regular, I'll go with Kanto revisit hybrid, based on all of the foreshadowing. I could see new places, and new pokemon. How about you?

I think a Kanto revisit is the most likely scenario. I also think it'll feature a lot of 7th gen elements/characters, a slightly upgraded engine, but nothing that's a huge leap. Basically it wont be a 1:1 3ds game, just on switch, but it wont be a true 8th generation game either. I don't think it'll be a flat out remake, but I don't think we'll see new pokemon either aside from maybe 1 mythical, and more regional variants.

the nail in the coffin for kanto was serebii implying his "next game wont be gen 8" isn't just speculation on his part, + his defending of kanto lately + the hints found in SM/USUM + M20 being in Kanto and M22 being in Johto.

If the rumors are true and the game is indeed a 2018 release (which we'll probably know this week) then I just can't see gamefreak debuting a new generation when there's nothing implying that we'll have a new pokemon reveal soon (no new pokemon in m21, no merchandise leaks indicating a pokemon reveal over summer).

I personally think we'll see Kanto this year, 2019 gap year, 8th generation debut in 2020 that will be a bigger leap than people are expecting with the currently announced switch game. Since 8th gen will be debuting close to the 25th anniversary, maybe they'll go all out on all fronts with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom