• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay folks, though we don't really know anything about the games yet besides rumors and possible leaks, but based on these rumors alone what lone game concept does everyone believe is the most likely outcome and why? Gen 8 regular, gen 8 kanto hybrid, gen 1 remake mark II, gen 4 remake, or another game entirely? Which ones have the most credibility, which one makes the most sense?Which ones fair, practical, exciting, or holds the most potential? By now, we must all be at least a little predisposed to one idea or another, fairness aside? For me, though I'd prefer gen 8 regular, I'll go with Kanto revisit hybrid, based on all of the foreshadowing. I could see new places, and new pokemon. How about you?

It will be a next gen game, because we have already the 2th year of 7 generation, every gens have a gap of 3-4 years.
Because of that i'm pretty sure it will a next gen game for 2019 autumn.
I don't see a reason why game freak should make a kanto remake if we had already firered leafgreen?
we had also 10th anniversary and we had no games with kanto why should we have for 20th anniversary?
I don't know it doesn't make sense for me.

And for credibility except official soucres there is no credibility.

Okay folks, though we don't really know anything about the games yet besides rumors and possible leaks, but based on these rumors alone what lone game concept does everyone believe is the most likely outcome and why? Gen 8 regular, gen 8 kanto hybrid, gen 1 remake mark II, gen 4 remake, or another game entirely? Which ones have the most credibility, which one makes the most sense?Which ones fair, practical, exciting, or holds the most potential? By now, we must all be at least a little predisposed to one idea or another, fairness aside? For me, though I'd prefer gen 8 regular, I'll go with Kanto revisit hybrid, based on all of the foreshadowing. I could see new places, and new pokemon. How about you?
It's Pokémon Z.

Nah, I don't believe in 2018 announcement anymore. Gamefreak is very lazy and we get the game in 2019... on ported 3DS engine with HD graphics and nothing more.

Nah, I don't believe in 2018 announcement anymore. Gamefreak is very lazy and we get the game in 2019... on ported 3DS engine with HD graphics and nothing more.
What's lead you to that conclusion? Do you think it'll be gen 8 or something different?

What's lead you to that conclusion? Do you think it'll be gen 8 or something different?

Laziness. GF probably wants just port the engine and do something easy and sell well like 4th gen remake. Don't expect miracles, don't look on Zelda or whatever on Switch. That's will be port with new assets.

the game is literally announced as "2018 or later" implying that a 2018 has always been gamefreak's intention

FR/LG are 14 years old this year. Kanto would be "new" to the majority of kids that are fans now

HG/SS are 9 years old which was still really long ago considering that we nearly get games yearly.

Laziness. GF probably wants just port the engine and do something easy and sell well like 4th gen remake. Don't expect miracles, don't look on Zelda or whatever on Switch. That's will be port with new assets.
Interesting thing about pokemon is that it's always been a handheld series though, eh? So we might not really know what game freak has planned for its first console entry. Besides that Lapras phto which could very well be fake, I don't think we have any point of reference to be honest. Mario and Zelda have been on consoles since the nes, and gradully building up from there, right?

On that note, I wonder what the total development time was for Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild, cuz thet sure did a good job with them. Sure pokemons not known for big amounts of innovation, but every main gen entry has at least been uo to par with each handheld? I also think game freak gets a bunch of grief about being lazy or uncreative, when their more guilty of being unfulfilling of fan desires and resting on their ways a bit too much. Still, what you've layed out is definitely a possibility, one of which we all can hope doesn't happen!

Interesting thing about pokemon is that it's always been a handheld series though, eh? So we might not really know what game freak has planned for its first console entry. Besides that Lapras phto which could very well be fake, I don't think we have any point of reference to be honest. Mario and Zelda have been on consoles since the nes, and gradully building up from there, right?

On that note, I wonder what the total development time was for Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild, cuz thet sure did a good job with them. Sure pokemons not known for big amounts of innovation, but every main gen entry has at least been uo to par with each handheld? I also think game freak gets a bunch of grief about being lazy or uncreative, when their more guilty of being unfulfilling of fan desires and resting on their ways a bit too much. Still, what you've layed out is definitely a possibility, one of which we all can hope doesn't happen!
Odyssey was in development since 2014. BOTW was in development since 2013 and was originally planned to be an exclusive for the Wii U.

the game is literally announced as "2018 or later" implying that a 2018 has always been gamefreak's intention

FR/LG are 14 years old this year. Kanto would be "new" to the majority of kids that are fans now

HG/SS are 9 years old which was still really long ago considering that we nearly get games yearly.

There wasn't a real announcment that the games will come 2018 or later.
The generations year gap is most too short to make a extra kanto remake, game freak had always make remake for games one time i don't think they really want to make another one for kanto again.

There wasn't a real announcment that the games will come 2018 or later.
The generations year gap is most too short to make a extra kanto remake, game freak had always make remake for games one time i don't think they really want to make another one for kanto again.

Ishihara's video at e3 saying "the games may not release for more than a year" + the game being listed as "2018 or later" to investors doesn't count as a "real" announcement?

Botw was in development between 2012-2017

Mario Oddyssey between 2014-2017
Odyssey was in development since 2014. BOTW was in development since 2013 and was originally planned to be an exclusive for the Wii U.
Ah, thanks. So around 4-5 years for Zelda and around 3 years for Mario? How would that stack up to Pokémon Switch's possible development time? Could it have started as early as 2013 or 2014? Not that 2 different development teams making 2 different styles of games will create a similar quality necessarily, but a similar amount of time could produce a similar amount of quality, I guess.

So apparently dragon quest 11 started in development in 2013 as well. That might be a better frame of reference for pokemon since their both rpgs? And traditional ones at that.

So by early 2016, "the story was finalized and the intro section was playable" according to what I just read. That sounds pretty late into development considering. I wonder what the difference between the time needed for a finalized concept vs. the time needed for a finished, playable game. Kind of interesting. Also, the switch version I heard was still being developed, and that's interesting considering they've started localizing the ps4 and pc versions for the west. Is switch development more time consuming?

Last edited:
So apparently dragon quest 11 started in development in 2013 as well. That might be a better frame of reference for pokemon since their both rpgs? And traditional ones at that.

So by early 2016, "the story was finalized and the intro section was playable" according to what I just read. That sounds pretty late into development considering. I wonder what the difference between the time needed for a finalized concept vs. the time needed for a finished, playable game. Kind of interesting.

DQ11 is a looottttttttttt larger in scope than what the currently announced pokemon switch game is likely to be

in 2013 gamefreak was developing ORAS and SM was in its early stages

Ah, thanks. So around 4-5 years for Zelda and around 3 years for Mario? How would that stack up to Pokémon Switch's possible development time? Could it have started as early as 2013 or 2014? Not that 2 different development teams making 2 different styles of games will create a similar quality necessarily, but a similar amount of time could produce a similar amount of quality, I guess.
I would guess pokemon switch started development in late 2015/early 2016, around the time SM were almost finished.

Ishihara's video at e3 saying "the games may not release for more than a year" + the game being listed as "2018 or later" to investors doesn't count as a "real" announcement?
I just forgot this announcement, yeah he said it.
But i'm very sceptical that game freak will finish and bring the games this year.

Actually Ishihara said: "Game Freak has began developing a core RPG Pokemon title on Nintendo Switch. It may not release for more than a year".
It's something I was thinking about in the last days...They never mentioned two titles, they have always talked about a single title. I know this does not mean there'll be just one version for sure but they could have said "Game Freak has began developing two core RPG Pokemon titles on Nintendo Switch" but they didn't.

Actually Ishihara said: "Game Freak has began developing a core RPG Pokemon title on Nintendo Switch. It may not release for more than a year".
It's something I was thinking about in the last days...They never mentioned two titles, they have always spoken about a single title. I know this does not mean there'll be just one version for sure but they could have said "Game Freak has began developing two core RPG Pokemon titles on Nintendo Switch" but they didn't.
Everyone knows the 2 versions is the same game.
It’d be pretty misleading of them to consider one game as two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom