• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always has bothered me that Eevee and all the Eeveelutions are percieved as feminine and are always drawn as cutesy anime girls- they're 75% male!! (I don't think feminine designs are bad, I just... I hate the fanservicey anime girl fanart that ends up being made as a result of a design being perceived as feminine)

My main issue with Eevee is that its face is kind of eerily baby-like in proportions, moreso than having an animal facial structure, and that its kind of boring colors. I'm tired of Pikachu as well, but I do think I like it more than Eevee- especially retro style fat Pikachu.

If I were voting for new mascot (out of the realm of reasonable possibilities), I dunno... Meowth always seemed solid to me, cats are very popular with people of all genders, and its a cat that gives you money

If we're talking "wild selections that would never happen", then my selection would be Victini

I don't remember implying that I thought Eevee or Pikachu should be directly marketed to either gender, but it's definitely obvious that they both have been in the past.

Just enjoy having two mascots and we can move on to something else to talk about. Haha

Eeevee actually strikes me as more masculine because of the duller color scheme.

Its really only the evolutions that look feminine, and even then, not all of them.

Pikachu is definitely quite gender neutral, though.

Also, I am predicting that the new switch game will be revealed in Feb 2019 and released November 2019. I really don't think we are seeing it come this year ... SuMo were revealed in Feb 2016 and released in November 2016 and we are only really about a year and half into Gen 7 assuming it will be the same length as Gen 6.

Kanto and Johto remake would make more sense on the 25th anniversary, TBH so not until 2021 I would think.

Who knows?

Hopefully they make an alolan form for Ralts and give it black hair so it becomes Ghost Fairy. Oooh, sppoky!

One thing I hope they keep for the Switch Pokemon title is Poke Ride (or introduce a variant of it). HMs have overstayed their welcome for far too long, so I want HMs to be kept as a forgotten memory of the past.

One thing I hope they keep for the Switch Pokemon title is Poke Ride (or introduce a variant of it). HMs have overstayed their welcome for far too long, so I want HMs to be kept as a forgotten memory of the past.
Id like ride pokemon to stay too. Id like them to change it though so you mark a pokemon in your PC as the "ride" pokemon for a specific function. This way the ride pokemon are yours, plus it gives them some customizability if multiple pokemon species can act as the same type of ride pokemon (like both lapras or blastoise can be registered as a potential surf user, etc)

I love eevee it has been of my favorites since gen 1. I truly feel like eevee's popularity is something that it earned slowly by it's own merit as it got more and more fans throughout the generations. I mean do you folks remember how just random it was to get an eevee in gen 1 it was just there like someone had left in on that table and forgot about it. Now it's so popular that not only can it be encountered in the wild but it even got its own exclusive z-move.

Pikachu isn't going anywhere but it would be nice to see eevee standing next to it more often. I don't really care for Pikachu but eevee is a Pokemon I have loved for a long time.

Speaking of which, there is a recent article about Pikachu's origin. It turns out that it was based on a squirrel, but before that, it was a "vertically long daifuku rice confection with ears" (see artwork). Raichu was supposed to have an evolution called Gorochu, which apparently had fangs sticking out of its mouth and two horns. It was removed for balance reasons.

Now it's so popular that not only can it be encountered in the wild
How unique.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, there is a recent article about Pikachu's origin. It turns out that it was based on a squirrel, but before that, it was a "vertically long daifuku rice confection with ears" (see artwork). Raichu was supposed to have an evolution called Gorochu, which apparently had fangs sticking out of its mouth and two horns. It was removed for balance reasons.

How unique.

I feel like this is the second time you've responded to one of my statements with sarcasm. I ignored you the first time I won't be doing it the second time. Also, I feel that you should very well know what I mean by that but just in case you don't let me make it clear: yes you encounter almost every Pokemon in the wild but that's not my point. Eevee went from being an extremely rare Pokemon to being one that was made far more common, this seems to be because they wanted to make it easier to encounter to give it more visibility.

I don't remember using sarcasm before. I asked you why you thought the Kanto gym leaders were one-note compared to other regions, except for Unova's who were more fleshed out.

I just think that the best metric of Eevee's popularity is how it has kept getting more evolutions.

I don't remember using sarcasm before. I asked you why you thought the Kanto gym leaders were one-note compared to other regions, except for Unova's who were more fleshed out.

I just think that the best metric of Eevee's popularity is how it has kept getting more evolutions.

Hmm well alright then...I didn't really feel like getting onto the whole gym leader argument anyways.

Also that article you linked about Pikachu's insperation is something I got in my push notifications. Though I think they probably should have gone ahead and given him that third stage. He's always been kind of weak for the mascot of the whole franchies. And I don't see what would be so unbalanced about it.

Well, the third stage wouldn't be much stronger than Raichu BST-wise for the sake of balance. It would be like Electabuzz and Electivire. And since Pikachu is pretty much separate from Raichu, another evolution wouldn't make it stronger.

Maybe it's time they gave Pikachu a substantial stat boost. Its Z-moves are entirely gimmicky compared to Light Ball.

Last edited:
Id like ride pokemon to stay too. Id like them to change it though so you mark a pokemon in your PC as the "ride" pokemon for a specific function. This way the ride pokemon are yours, plus it gives them some customizability if multiple pokemon species can act as the same type of ride pokemon (like both lapras or blastoise can be registered as a potential surf user, etc)

I'd much prefer this over the current system, but if I might say I would honestly prefer Pokémon Types to replace HM and Ride Pokémon in general, meaning Pokémon of Specific Types can preform certain Actions, E.g. Water types can be used to cross water, small ones, like Wooper and Magikarp, you could swim with, larger ones, like Gyarados and Wailmer you'd ride on, Mantine you'd surf on, Fighting Types push things around, Flying Types carry you of chasms and gaps, etc.

I also think it would encourage players to swap out party Members when exploring and I imagine it'd be more convinent than HMs, but not as much as Ride Pokémon though, but just being able to pull out a Ride Pokémon whenever you need it kinda bothers me as it just doesn't feel right because if you always have them, why should you need them? The whole thing of having them all the time just makes me question why they need to keep the obstacles around if they aren't really obstacles anymore, I get that they might be there to stop the player from progressing up to a certain point, but there are other means of doing that.

But in all honest if be very happy if we ended up with anything like what you're suggesting.

It always has bothered me that Eevee and all the Eeveelutions are percieved as feminine and are always drawn as cutesy anime girls- they're 75% male!! (I don't think feminine designs are bad, I just... I hate the fanservicey anime girl fanart that ends up being made as a result of a design being perceived as feminine)

To be fair, this treatment isn't exclusive to Eevee or feminine designs- if you look up magmar gijinkas (particularly on deviantART, Google Images seems to have a hard time finding them), you'll find that many of them have actually wound up being girls despite magmar very much not being an effeminate pokemon. ( A fact I only know as the owner of a male magmar gijinka, wondering why nearly every other magmar in the search has boobs and a skirt. XD )

But I think most pokemon wind up being largely represented by cutesy anime girls, you would just notice it more with eevee and its evos because they are so popular. There's like 10,000x more art for them so of course there are 10,000x more cutesy anime girls, too. And I think the cutesy anime girl thing is just... really popular as an art style too. There isn't a lot of people drawing manly pokemon anywhere, you usually wind up with either cutesy anime girls or cutesy anime boys (who look a lot like girls. Traps are popular. Traps are very popular.) Though I think dA has better style diversity in general. The rest of the Internet seems to like cute anime girls more than anything else.

\o/ Just observations I've made from the gijinka side of things... 'cause I kinda live there.

Last edited:

But then whats the point in taking out HM's, since they can act the same way and just like with HM's, you are forced to catch a certain Pokemon to use the ride function

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom