• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
VegetableBird - Sinnoh, about Johto I heard something but a long time ago. New region have more sense than Kanto again.

We haven't been back to Kanto for nearly ten years now. Over fourteen, if you don't count HG/SS somewhat shoddy representation of it.

This is what confuses me about people saying 'Kanto, again' - we haven't been back in an awful long time (either 4 or 3 generations, depending on how you look at it) and even when we did in HG/SS, nothing has been done to the area to update or refresh it.

We haven't been back to Kanto for nearly ten years now. Over fourteen, if you don't count HG/SS somewhat shoddy representation of it.

This is what confuses me about people saying 'Kanto, again' - we haven't been back in an awful long time (either 4 or 3 generations, depending on how you look at it) and even when we did in HG/SS, nothing has been done to the area to update or refresh it.

Thats not true

2016 - Kanto VC
2017 - Gold-Silver VC (Johto-Kanto)
2018 - Crystal VC (Johto - Kanto)

We have visited Kanto 3 times (5 depending if you have bought all the VC) in the last 2 years, even this year we got Kanto. This is why people are saying 'Kanto, again'.

The problem is: Even if you change one thing about the region layout (How small it might be), its not Kanto anymore, except for the name. And no, i don't talk about the town layouts, since those can change, but a whole region overhaul is basically impossible if you want to make it Kanto. You can also change up some route layouts, but you cannot add new ones. And this is what most people fear, thats its gonna be the same as the originals.

Please don't tell me that this is what you mean. Not to mention that you picked a classic example of someone who lacks a proven track record but can't shut up about how reliable their sources are.

I linked that? No? Sinnoh references are older than that Q&A.

By the way, all "leakers" are not reliable and can't shut up so I can pick anyone.

Thats not true

2016 - Kanto VC
2017 - Gold-Silver VC (Johto-Kanto)
2018 - Crystal VC (Johto - Kanto)

We have visited Kanto 3 times (5 depending if you have bought all the VC) in the last 2 years, even this year we got Kanto. This is why people are saying 'Kanto, again'.

An exact rerelease of a game from twenty years ago does not count as a revisit. It counts as you buying and playing the same game from twenty years ago. I was going to point this out in my original post but I didn't think it necessary.

We are talking new games here. Not a rerelease. New. By this logic, we'd never see a new Mario sidescroller because Nintendo has a habit of pushing the original Super Mario Bros out (naturally) on every console it has. Or that we wouldn't have seen a sequel to Link to the Past, since Link to the Past had been rereleased on the 3DS in some capacity a year and a half earlier.

If anything, rereleasing the old games is a way to prepare people for a remake. It makes people think 'hey, remember this?' so that when they want you to 'remember this' for a new product, it's instantly familiar.

We've had this argument in here a ton of times already. If people want to revisit the dozen arguments that we've already had, then they can go back a few pages, rather than turning this place into an echo chamber, no? Or I guess we can just keep arguing about it. Either is fine with me, it just seems a tad redundant.

pkmn.png

Fixed it.

The problem is: Even if you change one thing about the region layout (How small it might be), its not Kanto anymore, except for the name. And no, i don't talk about the town layouts, since those can change, but a whole region overhaul is basically impossible if you want to make it Kanto. You can also change up some route layouts, but you cannot add new ones. And this is what most people fear, thats its gonna be the same as the originals.

Gold/Silver scaled down Kanto and it was still called Kanto. Unova introduced new areas and even new routes I believe, for example on the Wiki Route 19 is not in Black/White, only in Black/White 2 but it is still called Unova. I don't see why they cant do the same for Kanto.

Like the original Chinese leaks. After Salandit was revealed someone posted the Chinese leak saying "they got one thing right before Salandit was revealed" with no time stamp either. We know how that turned out...

An exact rerelease of a game from twenty years ago does not count as a revisit. It counts as you buying and playing the same game from twenty years ago. I was going to point this out in my original post but I didn't think it necessary.

We are talking new games here. Not a rerelease. New. By this logic, we'd never see a new Mario sidescroller because Nintendo has a habit of pushing the original Super Mario Bros out (naturally) on every console it has. Or that we wouldn't have seen a sequel to Link to the Past, since Link to the Past had been rereleased on the 3DS in some capacity a year and a half earlier.

If anything, rereleasing the old games is a way to prepare people for a remake. It makes people think 'hey, remember this?' so that when they want you to 'remember this' for a new product, it's instantly familiar.

We've had this argument in here a ton of times already. If people want to revisit the dozen arguments that we've already had, then they can go back a few pages, rather than turning this place into an echo chamber, no? Or I guess we can just keep arguing about it. Either is fine with me, it just seems a tad redundant.

Thing is: A Kanto game will never feel NEW, since we already visited the region, why do you think like many people felt like GF was lazy with USUM, since it was the same completely, aside from the story at the end and people felt SUMO was already boring, why do you think some complaint: 'Where is Pokemon Switch'. They are gonna feel the same about Kanto, since if you completely overhaul Kanto, its not Kanto anymore, but a completely new region, that is the problem Gamefreak is facing.

It was downscaled during gen 2, with the only change being Janine instead of Koga, who became an E4 member.

My main point is however: You can add some stuff, but you cannot delete routes or landmarks, else its not Kanto anymore. Same argument can be made about iconic characters like Brock, Misty, LT Sure, Sabrina without a proper explaination. This means a complete Kanto overhaul is impossible and if the Lapras picture is an indication (If its real that is), where the route looked exactly the same as in the originals, Kanto is not getting an overhaul, which will set off players who played the VC games recently, unless they change the story completely, but that i can also not see happening, because Giovanni is just as iconic as the gym leaders i mentioned and i can't see somebody like Giovanni change his mindset.

They can release a Kanto game and change mostly everything, even
the Pokemon there. There's two ways I can see this happening:

1). Release a game that takes place in the distant past or distant future.

2). Release a game that takes place in an alternate reality.

In both cases, you can make a Kanto with familiar landmarks, but ultimately, introduce new places/characters/mons at will.

They can release a Kanto game and change mostly everything, even
the Pokemon there. There's two ways I can see this happening:

1). Release a game that takes place in the distant past or distant future.

2). Release a game that takes place in an alternate reality.

In both cases, you can make a Kanto with familiar landmarks, but ultimately, introduce new places/characters/mons at will.

Think you misunderstood my post. You can add new things, but you cannot take things out or make major changes in already existing routes, because then it will not be Kanto anymore. Even an alternate reality Kanto is a problem, if you completely overhaul the region, since then its also not Kanto.

We saw how an alternate reality worked out for USUM (what did change was turned into a mess). It is probably not a good idea to repeat that just a year later.

nickdt said:
Is that the problem they faced with Unova? This time sequels would feel even fresher due to the shift from GB/C (or even DS) to Switch. Expanding old locations, turning the world gridless and just having a controllable camera would make a world of difference, but the region would still be Kanto.

Sabrina already has an excuse to be replaced seeing as she became an actress in B2W2. She could easily come back in that capacity and let someone else handle the gym. The same goes for Blue: If the games take place after the Alola ones, then he's linked to the Battle Tree now. Finally, one of the gym leaders is bound to be promoted to the Elite Four.

because Giovanni is just as iconic as the gym leaders i mentioned and i can't see somebody like Giovanni change his mindset.
Then give him a rival to fight.

Reactions: Zeb
Think you misunderstood my post. You can add new things, but you cannot take things out or make major changes in already existing routes, because then it will not be Kanto anymore. Even an alternate reality Kanto is a problem, if you completely overhaul the region, since then its also not Kanto.
OrAs removed the battle tower. That's a whole island gone. But it is still considered Hoenn. If its the same shape as Kanto and at least some of the routes, buildings and characters are the same, its still Kanto just different.

I think that’s oversimplifying. On the extreme end of things, ORAS Mauville City is still clearly Mauville City, just a modernized interpretation of it. Although they don’t even necessarily have to go that far.

However, you say that they “can’t make major changes in existing routes,” but that doesn’t account for the fact that the existing routes in question frequently lack anything at all to distinctify them or make them memorable in the first place. Which is of course part of the reason why Kanto needs an update.

Last edited:

I mean, you're the one who brought it up. It's rather clear we're never going to come to any kind of conclusion on this argument. Both sides think their opinion is not just right but obvious. So it turns into a shouting match.

What I'll be interested to see is how the fandom reacts to this argument when we have the game in hand.

You're basically saying that if a building is built or demolished in let's say New York city it stops being New York city. That's silly. Adding or removing landmarks doesn't stop Kanto from being Kanto. That's like saying in BW2 the region you're in isn't Unova because they added new areas and the route just above Castelia city has a town instead of just being a wasteland.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom