• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who?

What chance have we had between the original 151's introduction and NOW to actually miss these Pokemon?

Because TBH they've all been readily available for the past 22 years and there's been nothing but pandering to them and Kanto in general every year since the series introduction.

IMO, it's time to take a fucking break from Bulbasaur-Mew.
You're right. No one will miss the original 151 because they shoved them in our faces for the last 5 years.

The name “genwunner” was given to people who don’t like anything after gen 1. You can find people like that on youtube comments, facebook and even other video game forums like resetera. They’re not people who happen to prefer Kanto over the others.

Last edited:
The name “genwunner” was given to people who don’t like anything after gen 1. You can find people like that on youtube comments, facebook and even other video game froms like resetera. They’re not people who happen to prefer Kanto over the others.
Genwunner can refer to people who strongly prefer Gen 1 and will argue that everything that came after it sucks in some way.

I think I'm technically a Genwunner because I prefer Kanto pokemon to everything else- and I will say that I do personally believe that Gen 1 had the best designs with Johto coming in second and everything heading south from there. I like some later designs, sure, but Gen 1 and 2 kept it simple. It puts me in a tolerant genwun grey zone, I suppose. So not everyone who fits the label is intolerant? Just that the rudest examples tend to be.

Thaaat said, GameFreak obviously isn't marketing to those people because most of their games wouldn't sell to them. A Kanto remake would, but they're a small group compared to the larger demographic that appreciates everything that came after it, and so something new would be in order whether genwuns like it or not- though at this stage, I doubt new pokemon would be it.

Also, are we allowed to say genwunner on Bulbagarden if we're not calling any specific person that, or is this discussion technically against the rules?

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like people underestimate the weight Kanto carries

Within the core fanbase, sure, people are sick of the original 151 and the endless references, but the casual fanbase will eat up anything that has to do with Kanto. This is also why I feel like gamefreak could get away with making huge changes to it. Regardless of if they change enough to make it feel like a new region, just having the name "Kanto" attached to it would be huge

I feel like people underestimate the weight Kanto carries

Within the core fanbase, sure, people are sick of the original 151 and the endless references, but the casual fanbase will eat up anything that has to do with Kanto. This is also why I feel like gamefreak could get away with making huge changes to it. Regardless of if they change enough to make it feel like a new region, just having the name "Kanto" attached to it would be huge
Mmm, gotta disagree- Kanto wasn't really known by name in Gen 1, we didn't learn of its name until Gen 2 when there was a distinction between it and Johto. They could probably give us an all-new region populated only by Gen 1 pokemon and casual fans who only remember that generation would eat it up... and then stare at it funny as they realize that things feel a little off.

Mmm, gotta disagree- Kanto wasn't really known by name in Gen 1, we didn't learn of its name until Gen 2 when there was a distinction between it and Johto. They could probably give us an all-new region populated only by Gen 1 pokemon and casual fans who only remember that generation would eat it up... and then stare at it funny as they realize that things feel a little off.

I was moreso referring to the original 151 than the region itself.

edit: ooo I just got what you mean

I was moreso referring to the original 151 than the region itself.
XD Alright, yeah. That might get nostalgia people going.

You know what would be cool (and might hilariously confuse some Gen 1 fans) would be a new region populated only with Kanto pokemon... in regional variant forms.

"I don't remember that pokemon being that color."
"Didn't vulpix used to breathe fire?"
"Did that always look like that?"

Imagine the chaos as people get their friends who haven't played in awhile to try the new game because it has "familiar" pokemon in it.

Genwunner can refer to people who strongly prefer Gen 1 and will argue that everything that came after it sucks in some way.

I think I'm technically a Genwunner because I prefer Kanto pokemon to everything else- and I will say that I do personally believe that Gen 1 had the best designs with Johto coming in second and everything heading south from there. I like some later designs, sure, but Gen 1 and 2 kept it simple. It puts me in a tolerant genwun grey zone, I suppose. So not everyone who fits the label is intolerant? Just that the rudest examples tend to be.
Well, personally i don’t consider everyone who prefer gen 1 to be a “genwunner”. There’s nothing wrong with preferring Kanto and/or it’s pokemon to others.

It’s people that say stuff like “every pokemon after mew should be erased” that are annoying.

Last edited:
Well, personally i don’t consider everyone who prefer gen 1 to be a “gemwunner”. There’s nothing wrong with preferring Kanto and/or it’s pokemon to others.

It’s people that say stuff like “every pokemon after mew should be erased” that are annoying.
Oh legit, but... I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone like that. XD Just people who prefer gen 1 and will argue about how most of the generations after it had worse designs (because that would be me- guilty as charged here).

To use that term in the first place and blanket a bunch of people with it is intolerant. Not to mention that the term itself is offensive because of the connotations of it.

Can we stop insulting entire sections of the fanbase, please? People are entitled to like/prefer whatever generation they want without being referred to as 'intolerant' or 'ignorant'.

Last edited by a moderator:
when people say "genwunner" they refer to the people that truly believe that the series has gone to trash after the 151. That is a pretty ignorant opinion imo.

there's nothing wrong with just preferring gen 1 one stuff

and the success of X/Y and S/M compared to B/W clearly showed gamefreak that incorporating gen 1 stuff into newer games was the way to go

and the success of X/Y and S/M compared to B/W clearly showed gamefreak that incorporating gen 1 stuff into newer games was the way to go
Now i disagree with this. BW came out in the DS’s twilight years, while XY came out when the 3ds was still a hot system. And SM had the advantage of pokemon go/20th anniversary hype.

Also we’re talking about a difference of ~1 million units. That’s not much considering all three of them sold 15+million anyway.

when people say "genwunner" they refer to the people that truly believe that the series has gone to trash after the 151. That is a pretty ignorant opinion imo.

Why is it ignorant, exactly? It's just an opinion. Not one that I hold myself, but people are more than welcome to think that one particular era of something is better than the other. It's common in many fandoms. If having a preference is ignorant, then I must be one of the most ignorant bastards around.

Now i disagree with this. BW came out in the DS’s twilight years, while XY came out when the 3ds was still a hot system. And SM had the advantage of pokemon go/20th anniversary hype.

Also we’re talking about a difference of ~1 million units. That’s not much considering all three of them sold 15+million anyway.

Regardless of the DS being in it's twilight years, it still had a much larger install base than 3DS did around the time X/Y was launching. Alot of 3DS sales around the same X/Y were coming out were solely because a pokemon game was coming out.
I shouldnt've brought up BW though as my point was moreso gamefreak must've saw success with what they did in X/Y if they continued with the gen 1 references in S/M, and are now potentially going even further with it with a return to Kanto

Why is it ignorant, exactly? It's just an opinion. Not one that I hold myself, but people are more than welcome to think that one particular era of something is better than the other. It's common in many fandoms. If having a preference is ignorant, then I must be one of the most ignorant bastards around.

As I said in my post, there's nothing wrong with having a preference. I was referring to the people who don't just prefer gen 1, but automatically assume that every generation after it sucks because of "ugly designs" or "gamefreak is lazy" etc etc, which is by definition ignorant because it shows a clear lack of knowledge. Saying that the series is bad after gen 1 without any reason other than "there's too much new pokemon" or "they all look ugly" is an uninformed opinion. There are people around who legit have either not played the series after gens 1-2 and claim stuff like this.

I don't think any genwunner discussion could lead anywhere good.

The difference is actually less than a million, but that's impressive in itself as the 3DS' install base is less than half of the DS'. Go also gave XY and ORAS a major push.

there's nothing wrong with just preferring gen 1 one stuff

As someone who prefers Gen 1 and 2, I do have to say that Gen 5 really put me off, out of all of the regions, by largely excluding every region that came before it- not even just Kanto specifically. They tried to emphasize that it was an all new place and very different from previous regions, but that just successfully made it the first pokemon generation that I refused to buy any game from- and I still don't own a single Gen 5 game, nor will I ever. I hear the plot was good, but I'll never really know because they pretty much tried to force you to use all Gen 5 pokemon... and Gen 5 had many of what I believe to have been the worst designs ever. I'm a little fond of a select few, but not enough to make a trip through Unova worthwhile.

So I do think that there is a benefit to at least including some pokemon from previous regions in a game. If you're not fond of most of the newest generation of pokemon, that still leaves you with some old favorites readily available.

Gen 5 also had the worst starters.

As I said in my post, there's nothing wrong with having a preference. I was referring to the people who don't just prefer gen 1, but automatically assume that every generation after it sucks because of "ugly designs" or "gamefreak is lazy" etc etc, which is by definition ignorant because it shows a clear lack of knowledge. Saying that the series is bad after gen 1 without any reason other than "there's too much new pokemon" or "they all look ugly" is an uninformed opinion. There are people around who legit have either not played the series after gens 1-2 and claim stuff like this.

I hate to once more question your thought process, but it’s flawed as far as I can see. As you point out, ignorance is a clear lack of knowledge. Then you speak of designs, and that these people haven’t played a game after Gen 1/2.

You don’t have to play the games to see the designs, though. You can just look at the art for them, or look at screenshots. How is it ignorant to look at Gen 3s Pokemon designs and then opt out because they aren’t a fan of them? Anyone can look at the art. Just hop on Bulbapedia. Knowledge gap closed, therefore ignorance averted. We aren’t talking game mechanics after all.

‘Genwunner’ to me is a term that implies that sections of the fanbase that like Generation 1 to the grave have some kind of mental handicap and therefore can’t speak properly, hence the mispelling and the phonetics of it. The term itself is belittling, and, in my opinion, just plain mean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom