• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genwunner In thread
Also, are we allowed to say genwunner on Bulbagarden if we're not calling any specific person that, or is this discussion technically against the rules?
Genwunner is considered a derogatory term, and should not be used. It is a term that is against the rules.

Now then. If we're doing a kanto return, why is it gengar in my pokemon gummies and not eevee. I know gengar is a kanto pokemon, but its not in your face like the starters or eevee.

I hate to once more question your thought process, but it’s flawed as far as I can see. As you point out, ignorance is a clear lack of knowledge. Then you speak of designs, and that these people haven’t played a game after Gen 1/2.

You don’t have to play the games to see the designs, though. You can just look at the art for them, or look at screenshots. How is it ignorant to look at Gen 3s Pokemon designs and then opt out because they aren’t a fan of them? Anyone can look at the art. Just hop on Bulbapedia. Knowledge gap closed, therefore ignorance averted.
I don't think ignorance is quite the word for it, yeah. Not sure what the word is, but there is a certain close-mindedness with asserting that everything from a generation after your preferred generation sucks- like I'll gladly say that most of the designs post-Gen 2 aren't my cup of tea, and that I hate most of Gen 5, but damn... I won't call a Sawsbuck ugly.

And saying that the generations suck and are the worst based on just the designs, too, is kinda ignorant because there are major gameplay factors that made those later regions better than the first ones- like Gen 5 supposedly had a great plot compared to previous regions, from what I've heard. Still... won't... play it... because of the pokemon... but... hey, I heard there was great plot stuff, so kudos to Gen 5 for impressing other people with that. =D

I mostly reply to this as someone on the borderline who has hardcore hated Gen 5 and isn't really crazy about Gens 3 and 4, but have to admit that they are technically an improvement over Gens 1 and 2, even if the pokemon they introduced, in general, really failed to appeal to me. So I think the problem is moreso people who take a strong stance against everything after Gen 1 or 2 without taking into consideration that there are some good designs, and a lot of major graphics and gameplay improvements, that technically make those generations better? It's fair to prefer one generation's designs, but the gameplay elements have definitely improved and surely you can't hate absolutely every design from later generations?

You can't change the defenition of genwunner just because you don't like it

Anyways... it seems like masuda really wants us to buy a switch, I actually got mine last summer and its the best console/handheld I have ever owned so far. Handheld mode isn't too big and is comfortable on the bed. The screen is so sharp

I hate to once more question your thought process, but it’s flawed as far as I can see. As you point out, ignorance is a clear lack of knowledge. Then you speak of designs, and that these people haven’t played a game after Gen 1/2.

You don’t have to play the games to see the designs, though. You can just look at the art for them, or look at screenshots. How is it ignorant to look at Gen 3s Pokemon designs and then opt out because they aren’t a fan of them? Anyone can look at the art. Just hop on Bulbapedia. Knowledge gap closed, therefore ignorance averted. We aren’t talking game mechanics after all.

‘Genwunner’ to me is a term that implies that sections of the fanbase that like Generation 1 to the grave have some kind of mental handicap and therefore can’t speak properly, hence the mispelling and the phonetics of it. The term itself is belittling, and, in my opinion, just plain mean.

Read my post again. I'm saying that there are people who assume the franchise has gotten bad solely off of seeing designs and assuming things. Which, is an uninformed opinion. I wouldn't say you're putting words in my mouth but I did make what I was saying pretty clear with my original post. It feels like you're conveniently ignoring certain parts of my post or just interpreting them wrongly. Nowhere did I mention that these people would actually have to play the games. And if they're deciding the games are bad off of designs without actually playing them. . . .ding ding that's ignorance. This isn't a flawed thought process.

Genwunner is considered a derogatory term, and should not be used. It is a term that is against the rules.

Now then. If we're doing a kanto return, why is it gengar in my pokemon gummies and not eevee. I know gengar is a kanto pokemon, but its not in your face like the starters or eevee.
Ya know, now that you mention it... Gengar does seem to get disproportionately used to represent Kanto. And I mean, it's always been like that, too. Even back when there was only Kanto. If there was something where they were going to pick a handful of pokemon, Gengar usually made the list. I kinda wonder if that isn't due to the Gengar vs. Nidorino thing, but then where is Nidorino's love?

I think Masuda avoiding the subject of the switch game could just be him not wanting to spoil anything before the announcement.

I hope I'm right ;-;

Ya know, now that you mention it... Gengar does seem to get disproportionately used to represent Kanto. And I mean, it's always been like that, too. Even back when there was only Kanto. If there was something where they were going to pick a handful of pokemon, Gengar usually made the list. I kinda wonder if that isn't due to the Gengar vs. Nidorino thing, but then where is Nidorino's love?
I was just thinking as I read your post of that scene and figured that's probably why. But yeah give nidorino some love. Sure an E4 member has gengar. But the true big bad of Kanto has a nidoking, which is the evolved form of nidorino. He truly deserves some love.

I was just thinking as I read your post of that scene and figured that's probably why. But yeah give nidorino some love. Sure an E4 member has gengar. But the true big bad of Kanto has a nidoking, which is the evolved form of nidorino. He truly deserves some love.
XD Okay, I think I found the real reason- Gengar is Sugimori's favorite pokemon.

Read my post again. I'm saying that there are people who assume the franchise has gotten bad solely off of seeing designs and assuming things. Which, is an uninformed opinion. I wouldn't say you're putting words in my mouth but I did make what I was saying pretty clear with my original post. It feels like you're conveniently ignoring certain parts of my post or just interpreting them wrongly. Nowhere did I mention that these people would actually have to play the games. And if they're deciding the games are bad off of designs without actually playing them. . . .ding ding that's ignorance. This isn't a flawed thought process.

Yes, I read your post. In my opinion, your thought process is still flawed.

Sorry mate, but I don't have the time nor energy to debate this one further.

XD Okay, I think I found the real reason- Gengar is Sugimori's favorite pokemon.
I see. That makes sense. Well they could at least replace the Pikachu head with eevee. Honestly. Gummies need to learn how to better market.
Nah, he’s just not saying anything before an official reveal, or else the Nintendo ninjas are going after him :p
Imo. He apparently froze up. Seems odd that he would freeze up rather than just be like "guess you'll need to see" or something teasing. Clearly he's nervous about it.

Nah, he’s just not saying anything before an official reveal, or else the Nintendo ninjas are going after him :p
Yeah, wasn't it at an USUM meeting? If he said anything, it would have hit the internet (like the fact that he didn't say anything already has) and would have ruined whatever announcement they have planned. Plus if he opened the floor up to Switch questions, the whole meeting would have gotten off track from the topic that it was meant to focus on.

never thought of it like that but you're right

"hey guys, drop 300$ on this console that we'll be putting a game on eventually"

Maybe I'm overthinking but it does seem like he's worried or something. He's been on full "please by a switch mode" because maybe he still feels it's pretty early into the switches lifespan to release a pokemon game?

Gengar is a simple and yet badass design. I doubt that most people care that Agatha uses it or that it is Sugimori's favorite.

Masuda telling people to buy a Switch would be a dick move if the games weren't coming this year, if to be honest.
Oh it's not so much that people care that it's Sugimori's favorite, it's more just that the artist probably gets top pick of which pokemon gets used in merchandise. He favors Gengar because it's easy to draw, so of course he's gonna keep throwing that one out there.

And they gotta stop telling people to just go out and buy a Switch. XD The more they push it, the more it sounds to me like the games aren't gonna be big enough to sell consoles themselves.

He couldn't have said anything else, come on...what did you expect?
- "Yes, you will discover something about it soon" --> 1000 videos on youtube in the next 2 hours.
- "Yes, we will release it this year" --> 1000 videos on youtube in the next 2 hours.
- "Yes, it's gen 8" --> 1000 videos on youtube in the next 2 hours.

(Actually: - Yes, go buy a switch" --> 1000 videos on youtube in the next 2 hours. XD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom