• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and can we please fix Nidorina/Nidoqueen's egg group already, Game Freak? >=/ There's no reason why those ladies should still be sterile. In fact, that's the one thing I'm most hoping for out of these games- let the nido ladies lay eggs, darnit.

On the one hand... yeah. On the other hand, though... imperfections and individualities make things more interesting and I like to imagine that particular limitation as a sort of unique species quirk.

On the one hand... yeah. On the other hand, though... imperfections and individualities make things more interesting and I like to imagine that particular limitation as a sort of unique species quirk.
I feel like it was originally a technical limitation that just carried on well past the point of being viable to be fixed. I mean... Azurill changing gender upon evolution was an interesting species quirk too, but they did get around to fixing that one.

I'd be wild if instead of locking Eevee and Pikachu from evolving to try and keep the starter choices a little more equal, they gave Pikachu a bunch of split evolutions to put it more on par with Eevee- Gorochu could be an electric/dark or electric/fire evolution option for Pikachu

I'm not saying that this is a good idea or something I'd actually want to see happen (although if it did, I would absolutely not be complaining- I just like the idea of Gorochu being a Raichu evolution or mega a bit better), but it seemed like an idea worth throwing out there, haha

Anyway, I chose Pikachu just because I like it more on a base design level than I do Eevee, and I have fond memories of impish chubby Pikachu, whereas Eevee's personality has always felt a little bland- however, if the starters can, in fact, evolve, based on what we know now (no confirmed new forms or evolutions for either PokemoN), I'd end up going with Eevee in order to use an Eeveelution, since I am fond of those (although I also love Raichu... dang)

I feel like it was originally a technical limitation that just carried on well past the point of being viable to be fixed. I mean... Azurill changing gender upon evolution was an interesting species quirk too, but they did get around to fixing that one.
I agree, it's just like the annoying HM mechanic that overstayed its welcome for 6 generations in a row. Nidorina and Nidoqueen should be in the same egg group as Nidorino and Nidoking.

That crocodile is a weird one. XD But the spikes make me think that it may have been an early design of Feraligatr.

....on second glance, that might be hair. I kinda want it now too.

I misinterpreted the sprite at first and saw creepy faces in the eyes, and thought it could have been a third stage for Exeggutor- I don't think that's the case anymore, but its still a funny concept.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 9.18.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 9.18.02 AM.png
    571.4 KB · Views: 95
If we’re talking about resurrecting scrapped Pokémon designs from the early days, then I’d like my cap-wearing gorilla, please:

Capsule_Monsters_Godzillante_Gorillaimo.jpg

... Good point.

I misinterpreted the sprite at first and saw creepy faces in the eyes, and thought it could have been a third stage for Exeggutor- I don't think that's the case anymore, but its still a funny concept.
XD I don't know about the face eyes, but I could totally go for that bush-head lizard.

Does anyone else find starting with pikachu, a second stage now, a little awkward of a concept? I feel like technically it should be pichu, but I doubt it will because of marketing reasons.

Does anyone else find starting with pikachu, a second stage now, a little awkward of a concept? I feel like technically it should be pichu, but I doubt it will because of marketing reasons.

Well, Pichu is a baby Pokemon, if these two are meant to be the Starters, we can't have one fundamentally weaker than the other. Besides, Pikachu has been a starter before and is literally the most known Pokemon, moreso than Pichu~

Not really, because Baby stages don't usually count as the first stage, exactly? Well... especially if you look at the TCG, that is. Pikachu has maintained its Basic stage status even with the addition of Pichu. Baby Stage is like a pre-First Stage kind of deal.

Plus don't Baby pokemon still require incense to be bred? I feel like they're the pointlessly optional stage.

Edit: Looked it up and Pikachu doesn't require an incense? Why does incense even exist.

Edit: Looked it up and Pikachu doesn't require an incense? Why does incense even exist.

Well, the Baby Pokémon that don’t require incense were all introduced in Gen 2, in conjunction with the introduction of breeding as a mechanic, so those Baby Pokémon were added to existing Pokémon that were otherwise a blank slate, breeding-wise. Whereas the incenses all apply to Pokémon that were given Baby stages after breeding was introduced, because by then it was already established that, say, a Marill + a Marill = a Marill. The incense is there to tell them that no, you’re making an Azurill.

Why they haven’t just retconned that, I have no idea.

Baby Pokémon can't breed so thank god some of them are only hatchable using Incenses.
XD I feel like either all of them or none of them should require incense... maybe preferably the former, because I understand that it can make breeding them annoying.

Well, the Baby Pokémon that don’t require incense were all introduced in Gen 2, in conjunction with the introduction of breeding as a mechanic, so those Baby Pokémon were added to existing Pokémon that were otherwise a blank slate, breeding-wise. Whereas the incenses all apply to Pokémon that were given Baby stages after breeding was introduced, so by then it was already established that, say, and Marill + a Marill = a Marill. The incense is there to tell them that no, you’re making an Azurill.

Why they haven’t just retconned that, I have no idea.

That does make sense, but it's weird that they didn't add incenses for Gen 2 babies when they decided that Gen 3 babies needed them. And it looks like Riolu also lacks an incense so... what the heck, Game Freak? Get your shit in order. XD

That does make sense, but it's weird that they didn't add incenses for Gen 2 babies when they decided that Gen 3 babies needed them. And it looks like Riolu also lacks an incense so... what the heck, Game Freak? Get your shit in order. XD

In Riolu’s case, it’s probably because it was introduced in the same generation as its evolved form, rather than being amended onto an older Pokémon. So in that regard, it kind of makes sense. I think it really is kind of impressive how Game Freak can be so internally consisent within a framework that they’ve made so wildly inconsistent. Never the straightforward path with them...

In Riolu’s case, it’s probably because it was introduced in the same generation as its evolved form, rather than being amended onto an older Pokémon. So in that regard, it kind of makes sense. I think it is really kind of impressive how Game Freak can be so internally consisent within a framework they’ve made so wildly inconsistent. Never the straightforward path with them...
I'd like to see them "clean up" some things... like the incenses and Nidorina/Nidoqueen's egg group. I think that's one of my biggest hopes for future games- partly because I consider it "low expectation" enough to be quite possible. XD

Not really, because Baby stages don't usually count as the first stage, exactly? Well... especially if you look at the TCG, that is. Pikachu has maintained its Basic stage status even with the addition of Pichu. Baby Stage is like a pre-First Stage kind of deal.

Plus don't Baby pokemon still require incense to be bred? I feel like they're the pointlessly optional stage.

Some Pokemon breed into the "first stage", like breeding Azumarill will get Marill, but if you want the Baby Stage, you use Incense. It started from Gen III and onward, so that's why Gen II don't need them~ Riolu is a bit of a special case since breeding Lucario will never yield a Lucario.

I always headcanoned baby Pokemon as only something that can happen in captivity, like dogs and cats that have been overbred into new breeds, but in the wild factors and variables are different and less controlled so you can't get baby Pokemon without the use of incense/breeders.

I love the idea of a 1st stage or baby stage for Tauros/Milktank. And Kangaskhan as well. Alt-evo for for Weepinbell. Kanto/Johto forms of Alola/Hoenn Pokemon. Have Alolan forms in the Safari Zone. There's a lot here you can do....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom