• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
imo this will be a stop-gap generation sorta thing. Won't fall into either 7 or 8 because of the "lets go" branding and weird nature of the games

If the games somehow end up being received poorly, gamefreak can just ditch the "lets go" branding and act like it was meant to be a one off sorta thing

similar to how capcom avoided calling MH world "MH5" when the game was MH5 for all intents and purposes. It's just a safe thing to do when experimenting with the franchise

So is this gen 8 or gen 7 or gen 7.5?
I still can't see why this can't be Gen VIII. For all we know, Gamefreak could very well introduce some new Pokémon as a teaser, then introduce their native region in the next game. Shake up the formula by not introducing a new generation with a new region.

I'd like to see them "clean up" some things... like the incenses and Nidorina/Nidoqueen's egg group. I think that's one of my biggest hopes for future games- partly because I consider it "low expectation" enough to be quite possible. XD
If we're talking about 'clean ups' I'd like to see them rework the Pokédex in some fashion so it has related Pokémon closer to one another, so people don't have to literally scroll all the way to the Sinnoh section to see Pre/Evolutions for Pokémon from the First Region.

1. Okay? And I. The games come out this year they won’t come out in September. They could use it for nostalgia reasons too.
The Kanto merchandise that will start getting released soon is no doubt tied into the games. It would be weird for the Johto part to be completely unrelated, especially when a chunk of it isn't labeled as movie-related.

2. You forget that Lugia was originally a johto pokemon and the orange islands were an anime only thing. Originally the anime was producing stuff before the games came out so they were inputting some do what they knew such as togepi. The new movies are clearly being more accurate to the games, and are working as a kind of reboot. They aren’t doing things like the organ er islands.
They used Ho-Oh and the beast trio in a Kanto setting just last year. They could have done the same thing with Lugia now.

3. Not sure what you mean.
That the movie is advertising the games at least to some extent.

How do you know for sure that there’s no new eeveelution?
Because there is nothing big left to reveal in terms of movie merchandise.

Last edited:
So is this gen 8 or gen 7 or gen 7.5?

We will know when we get more details about the game, namely if it's a direct remake or nah~

Not necessarily. If this ends up being some kanto story but not a remake. Like if it’s a reboot then I think it would Gen 1 Version 2

How so, since when do we go backwards in Generation? FRLG isn't Gen 1 just because it's Kanto. It'll either be 7 or 8 (or 7.5 if people want to go that way, I personally would stick with 7 or 8)

We are almost in June, the reveal is 99% going to have gameplay.

I wonder what format it will be, a quick, flashing montage of brief moments, or a few seconds or more for each part?

There is hopefully a chance that it will have a short to medium Treehouse presentation!

Man, I got torn in half by users here when I theorized this would be very Go-esque. Well, looks like I'm done with PKMN. Good thing Smash is coming out.

we don't know that these are very Go-Esque. All we have is potential titles and rumors that the games have been influenced by go. For all we know, it could be subtle stuff and positive changes. Maybe wait till they show the games first?

Vegetablecookin's rumors are looking credible and he's stated that while there are go elements to the games, the games are still very much mainline titles.

We will know when we get more details about the game, namely if it's a direct remake or nah~

How so, since when do we go backwards in Generation? FRLG isn't Gen 1 just because it's Kanto. It'll either be 7 or 8 (or 7.5 if people want to go that way, I personally would stick with 7 or 8)
Generations have been easy to define up to this point: but if this game is what people are saying it will be, then it doesn’t fall into the normal definitions, Thus it becomes something new and something different. A different line.

Yeeaah, if this game isn't either a stopgap to hold us off for the real 8th gen or such a drastic improvement of Kanto that it practically feels like 8th gen then I'm done with this franchise. I've put up with a lot of BS from this franchise, far more than I probably should've, but they just keep finding innovative new ways to underdeliver. This would be the straw that broke the Camerupt's back. I'll probably stick around for DP remakes if they don't screw them up that badly, but other than that Game Freak won't be getting any more of my money until they figure out how to make a high quality console game.

The very notion of starting off the Switch with a Kanto game is definitely not my ideal scenario, but there's definite upside here so I'll definitely give them a chance to impress me. But again, it has to feel like a drastic improvement to Kanto. I want to see the whole 9 yards, new areas, redesigns to older areas, an expanded dex, Kantionian forms to non-1st gen Pokemon, new features, a deeper storyline. Otherwise, no sale. Game Freak is on console, they're playing with the big boys now so they need to bring their A game.

we don't know that these are very Go-Esque. All we have is potential titles and rumors that the games have been influenced by go. For all we know, it could be subtle stuff and positive changes. Maybe wait till they show the games first?

Vegetablecookin's rumors are looking credible and he's stated that while there are go elements to the games, the games are still very much mainline titles.

Do you know where I can find all of Vegetablecookin's rumors? I would like to read them and see what might be in store for us.

The very notion of starting off the Switch with a Kanto game is definitely not my ideal scenario
According to Eurogamer, they were never interested in waiting to release the first Switch game as Gen 8, and this game is just an evolution of Stars. I said this, but I feel like they weren't prepared for the system and were forced by Nintendo to get something out this year.

According to Eurogamer, they were never interested in waiting to release the first Switch game as Gen 8, and this game is just an evolution of Stars. I said this, but I feel like they weren't prepared for the system and were forced by Nintendo to get something out this year.
If that's the case, then I expect it to be a 1:1 remake of Yellow.

I honestly don't care what Generation it's supposed to be in, I get to play some Pokemans on my tv screen in 3D. People who are getting worked up over if it's still Gen 7 or Gen 8 are off their rocker a little bit IMO.

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but does anybody wonder if whatever the GO mechanic/integration thingamajig is the "new battle system" that was talked about in the earlier rumors?

Do you know where I can find all of Vegetablecookin's rumors? I would like to read them and see what might be in store for us.
Their old riddles just amount to what we know from others: Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, to be revealed this month. Other than that:

"Keep your expectations in check, and don't expect anything too crazy. That being said, expect a very good Pokemon experience for Nintendo Switch. To confirm a riddle, yes, it is set in a TYPE of Kanto."

"I've heard some worries about the game being 'Too much like Pokemon Go' Please don't be worried, from what I've heard the games Go integration will be small and optional. As for the Pokeball throwing with the Joycon or touchscreen, this is also optional, but offers bonuses. There are some things they will take from Pokemon Go, but the main series games are VERY much intact. Please do not be overly concerned."

"I've been told that G8 (Generation 8) as crossed on the grid, is being planned for a 19 (2019) release, as highlighted by 19 filled tiles on the board."

Keep your expectations in check, and don't expect anything too crazy. That being said, expect a very good Pokemon experience for Nintendo Switch. To confirm a riddle, yes, it is set in a TYPE of Kanto."

Define "very good Pokemon experience". Because the last game I thought was a very good Pokemon experience was on the DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom