• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go lost about 80% of its playerbase. People may be put off about the lack of new content and not buy it, thus lowering sales.
This may have actually made GF believe that people are tired of catching 800 pokemon and only like the first 150. Anyway, Go is far from death, trust me.

If 3% of Go users buy the games, they will sell 24 milions copies. This is not the end of Pokemon for sure. It may be the end of what we used to think of Pokemon. Maybe GF just decided to target other people to make more money rather than the traditional fans...It's not a good thing to do, let's be clear, but not a bad marketing move at all.

But would 3% of Go users buy a $60 game that only had the original 151 Pokémon in it, especially for a franchise making its inaugural debut on a home console? Remember that Pokémon USUM haven't sold 24 million copies; and they came out after Pokémon Go and have a lot of Gen 1 Pokémon in it. If this game has Gen 2 and/or Gen 3 Pokémon in it, people will likely buy it and not have too much of a problem if it's basically a remake of Pokémon Yellow for Switch. If we don't get those extra Pokémon, though, then the game could be in trouble for all the reasons I stated in my earlier post.

This may have actually made GF believe that people are tired of catching 800 pokemon and only like the first 150.
Well, then GF is wrong. It seems like they don't know the popularity of Lucario or Greninja if that's the case.

But would 3% of Go users buy a $60 game that only had the original 151 Pokémon in it, especially for a franchise making its inaugural debut on a home console? Remember that Pokémon USUM haven't sold 24 million copies; and they came out after Pokémon Go and have a lot of Gen 1 Pokémon in it. If this game has Gen 2 and/or Gen 3 Pokémon in it, people will likely buy it and not have too much of a problem if it's basically a remake of Pokémon Yellow for Switch. If we don't get those extra Pokémon, though, then the game could be in trouble for all the reasons I stated in my earlier post.
My statement was based on the belief that GF is targetting more casual players who like/know gen 1 and don't care about anything else...

Do tell me what these credible leakers are saying that contradicts what i said. Most of them are just saying it’s a Kanto revisit and nothing more.

You just answered your own question; they have all been saying it's a "revisit, not a remake like what most people will think". Also, the very term revisit =/= remake. I'm not gonna dig through 800+ pages to quote you every "source" that mentions this. I stand by what I said about people overreacting, and guess what? I can have an opinion about that too.

Well, then GF is wrong. It seems like they don't know the popularity of Lucario or Greninja if that's the case.
You would be surprised about how many people know Greninja compared to those who know Charizard. It's like 1 on 100.

Most of the players Go still has are hardcore Pokemon players. The casual players all left long ago.
I don't know about that- I feel like hardcore Pokemon players gave up on Go due to its overly simplistic gameplay. While the popularity has certainly died down, I'd say that the people left are general Pokemon fans and people who just love the game.

My opinion of the new games is rather tentative at this point (though my stance on any desire to buy them is a flat out no) as I know from the art/roleplay community perspective that interest in Pokemon has been dying and Sun/Moon/USUM did little to nothing to revive it. If a Kanto game proves to be enough to draw people back in and regenerate interest, then I will be content.

...also guys, we really gotta stop comparing the games' sales to Go's downloads. There's a huge financial difference between them.

...also guys, we really gotta stop comparing the games' sales to Go's downloads. There's a huge financial difference between them.
I agree, the games' sales are not necessarily calculated the same way Pokemon GO downloads are.

I agree, the games' sales are not necessarily calculated the same way Pokemon GO downloads are.
I mean- especially because Pokemon GO is freeware? It's easy to just casually download, try it, and ditch it when you get bored. And with the popularity that it had, I imagine everyone gave it a go. Heck, my dad downloaded the game before I did and he never was into pokemon? He called it pokeman while I was growing up.

Pertinent numbers would be how many people are actually spending a lot of money on the in-game purchases. But I don't think we have those.

I was not comparing the sales...I was just pointing out that Go was downloaded 800 milions times. 2% among those were maybe people who bought main serie games (16 milions). Anyway, the point is: GF is trying to bring some of those milions of people to the main serie and it's not a bad move. Numbers speak alone, if GF will bring even just 1% of Go users (which are not traditional players) to the games, they will increase their sale of 33%. Call it a bad move if you can...

I was not comparing the sales...I was just pointing out that Go was downloaded 800 milions times. 2% among those were maybe people who bought main serie games (16 milions). Anyway, the point is: GF is trying to bring some of those milions of people to the main serie and it's not a bad move. Numbers speak alone, if GF will bring even just 1% of Go users (which are not traditional players) to the games, they will increase their sale of 33%. Call it a bad move if you can...
Most of those people already gave up on Go and are thus not likely to buy a main series game.

The number of Pokemon GO downloads isn't necessarily an accurate depiction of how many actually downloaded it, it's just a rough estimate.

The number of Pokemon GO downloads isn't necessarily an accurate depiction of how many actually downloaded it, it's just a rough estimate.
There's also the factor that some people may have downloaded Go on multiple devices, which will inflate the download count to be higher than it should be.

Of course but it's still incredible even if you cut them to 200 milions. Guys, "Let's Go Pikachu" GF clearly wants some of those milions of people.

Lol I don't know why you keep making these comments, that's just bland hate not even negativity
It is true, I hate Go. I've been worried about a game like this for awhile now, and all of the new leaks and rumors suggest that is exactly what we're getting. I spent a ton of time building competetive teams and hatching shinys in SM, and now I feel like it was all for not, and I will not be able to transfer them into this game. I feel as though casual Go! users would have a gigantic leg up on me, and at the very least, one would have to play Go! also in order to maximize rewards. It's frustrating being a longtime fan and seeing the franchise I enjoy taking such a drastic turn. I also think many people are underestimating how much Go! will factor into these games.

It would be really scummy if they lock later gen Pokemon behind paywalls to begin with. If they force me to pay real money for a game I already paid for just to be able to catch Riolu from the wild then I lost all hope of them recovering.

Even in GO you don't have to pay to get more Pokemon, I think people are going too far thinking this game will be like GO~ Every rumor says GO integration is INCREDIBLY minor. Like I said before, they will release the game with the Pokemon they want in it. No updating in increments, no paying for updates.

I'm just a little frustrated with the numbers being thrown back and forth, since they have little relativity to each other. But you do have a point- they are trying to bring more people in. Not sure that it's so much that they're targeting Pokemon GO's userbase, though, or its impressive marketing capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom