• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If these games do not feature Go too prominently, I think they will be great games. The only fear I have is too much Go.
Nothing indicates that the battle system will be affected.

Indeed, and it is all I personally care/fear for the GO integration.

Well, in case they limit the Pokémon you can catch in game to Gen I, while you can add the new ones from GO, that’d also be bad, but I don’t think this isn’t going to happen.

I'm sorry but I still don't get this "back to roots" narrative because is just not true.

I can't speak too much for BotW because I still haven't bought it but Odyssey feels like a better Super Mario 64 and that's cool, another sandbox game after so long feels great but don't act like if it was New Super Mario Bros. Switch or something ?

I'm sorry but I still don't get this "back to roots" narrative because is just not true.

I can't speak too much for BotW because I still haven't bought it but Odyssey feels like a better Super Mario 64 and that's cool, another sandbox game after so long feels great but don't act like if it was New Super Mario Bros. Switch or something ?
A sandbox style pokemon game would be great. Still linear when needed, but they can make the routes much larger & stuff them with content to do like they did with Odyssey.

I dont believe a true open-world pokemon game would ever work, or at least not on the Switch.

Def agreed

I did love the new super mario brothers games though lol

Mabye not LGPE but gen 8 can probably reach 20 million

Maybe, but only if they actually make it a console sized game. Another XY or SM probably won't hit 20 million, it'll probably still sell in the double digits simply for being a new generation but I don't think Pokemon hits 20 million without going above and beyond what they've done before. Everyone's expecting the Switch game to feel like a console game so that's what it's going to take to reach a high bar like that.

Maybe, but only if they actually make it a console sized game. Another XY or SM probably won't hit 20 million, it'll probably still sell in the double digits simply for being a new generation but I don't think Pokemon hits 20 million without going above and beyond what they've done before. Everyone's expecting the Switch game to feel like a console game so that's what it's going to take to reach a high bar like that.
Who expects that though? I've seen realistic expectations from this thread for the most part and kids don't care whether the game is "console" game or not. And lots of remaining ones will either buy the game because its Pokemon or buy it cause it actually does well regardless. I think our primary concern should be with the direction the franchise moves on from here not with how large its production value is. A console quality game might be interesting, but if executed poorly, then would be a pretty bad move as the first Switch game. Whereas a normal Pokemon game which improves its predecessors weaknesses and adds in necessary updates (Like a lot of these rumours tbh) might actually be a good step. It'd be sad to see people discount it merely cause it wasn't big enough.

A sandbox style pokemon game would be great. Still linear when needed, but they can make the routes much larger & stuff them with content to do like they did with Odyssey.

I dont believe a true open-world pokemon game would ever work, or at least not on the Switch.

Yes; Pokemon has included so many sandbox elements, that to somehow make the environments and some additional gameplay cycles more sandboxy will result in an exceptionally fun and unique experience!

GSC are amazing for example in adding trainer rematches even able to be detemined via the PokeGear, the dynamic time of day, and the roaming Legendaries.

My personal thought is that by adding dynamic landscape types (maybe inspired by the Safari Zone in HeartGold/SoulSilver??) that would surround the normal inhabitated and more charted areas of Kanto, there could be many beneficial interactive and intuitive experiences there.

They say a contracted version of ''let us'' and then the verb ''go'' at 00:03

Legitimate question and somewhat off topic. I thought Hajimaru meant start or begin. Shouldn't Hajimashou mean let's begin? It makes more sense in the context. Maybe it's just the translator being cheeky. Wouldn't let's go be Ikou? I'm still trying to learn Japanese, so I just wanted to know if you knew.

Legitimate question and somewhat off topic. I thought Hajimaru meant start or begin. Shouldn't Hajimashou mean let's begin? It makes more sense in the context. Maybe it's just the translator being cheeky. Wouldn't let's go be Ikou? I'm still trying to learn Japanese, so I just wanted to know if you knew.
In fairness i dont know any Japanese but i was told this by someone that does. I think its a very long reach though, wouldnt read too much into it.

Who expects that though? I've seen realistic expectations from this thread for the most part and kids don't care whether the game is "console" game or not. And lots of remaining ones will either buy the game because its Pokemon or buy it cause it actually does well regardless. I think our primary concern should be with the direction the franchise moves on from here not with how large its production value is. A console quality game might be interesting, but if executed poorly, then would be a pretty bad move as the first Switch game. Whereas a normal Pokemon game which improves its predecessors weaknesses and adds in necessary updates (Like a lot of these rumours tbh) might actually be a good step. It'd be sad to see people discount it merely cause it wasn't big enough.

Actually that's what a lot of people expect out of a console game, it's not just about production value but about content. Console games are designed to be longplay experiences, that's why you see a lot of games with large overworlds, exploration based gameplay, and tons of extra features and sidequests. Because those things appeal to that kind of experience. That's also the reason why you're seeing a lot of demand for a Pokemon BotW, because the BotW formula is the furthest the industry (or at least Nintendo) has gone in those areas and fans want to see a Pokemon game with those elements as well. And even a kid is going to be able to pick up on a game like XY or SM being much, much smaller than BotW or Odyssey and that console games deliver much larger games with better graphics and bigger worlds.

The problem is that Game Freak is doing exactly the opposite and reducing the content and exploration to appeal to mobile gamers that don't invest a lot of time in video games. Which isn't really a smart business decision since said mobile gamers are going to be significantly less inclined to buy a dedicated gaming console than console gamers looking for a high quality Nintendo experience. They're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole here.

So yeah, a "normal" Pokemon game is not going to fly here because expectations are naturally higher for console games. What's normal on the 3DS is seen as too short and unsatisfying on a console like the Switch. So the size of the game is definitely an important part of where the franchise goes from here. And if Game Freak can't deliver I can definitely see sales suffering for it, they've completely misread the market if the Switch games aren't more ambitious than usual.

that's why you see a lot of games with large overworlds, exploration based gameplay, and tons of extra features and sidequests.
Those games are certainly popular, but they're not the only possible option on a home console. Look at the popularity of games like Wii Sports, Splatoon, Smash, and Mario Kart. They don't deliver nearly as much on those fronts as a game like BOTW does, and they're still popular. Even though those features are positives to a game, their absence isn't going to destroy a game's chances.

Last edited:
The community the last months, giving the term „next week“ a whole new definition.
upload_2018-5-24_4-50-47.jpeg

I think Emily keeping quiet and not saying i wouldn‘t expect it this week, could mean there could still be something this week. But yeah I‘m betting for next week.

The community the last months, giving the term „next week“ a whole new definition.
View attachment 110267

I think Emily keeping quiet and not saying i wouldn‘t expect it this week, could mean there could still be something this week. But yeah I‘m betting for next week.

I'm surprised that the waiting for the past 11 months hasn't turned into something worthy enough for its own page on Know Your Meme.

The x and y website has been taken down

Pokemon X and Pokemon Y are almost five years old. GF/Nintendo stopped actively promoting those games a few years ago. The websites for both X and Y and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire both redirect to the Pokemon website. SM/USUM will follow suit in a year or two.

I mean, why even bother promoting something so old? It was clear that the Pokemon X and Y website was taken down simply because it stopped holding purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom