• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gholume; It's possible. Let's just wait and see what's going on before we all jump ship, it could honestly just be something so minor it's barely worth a thought.

I'm starting to think that this game will be a straight up reboot.

IMO it can be good and bad. I'm gonna get the game regardless of if its 151 or not, but if gamefreak was willing to do a hard reboot because of the switch to home console, I hope they're willing to take risks with other aspects of the game too.

It seems like we're in for a major shakeup

IMO it can be good and bad. I'm gonna get the game regardless of if its 151 or not, but if gamefreak was willing to do a hard reboot because of the switch to home console, I hope they're willing to take risks with other aspects of the game too.

What kind of reboot are we talking about though? If you mean something like removing pokemon that’s not happening.

I hope it’s not a straight up reboot. Especially if Gamefreak will go full idiot and not allow us to transfer other Pokémon from past games that aren’t go via bank.

What kind of reboot are we talking about though? If you mean something like removing pokemon that’s not happening.

Not necessarily removing pokemon, but being locked to the original 151 for the time being and rolling out other generations through future games/updates

If Emily implying that the "151 only" rumor is true, that + yellow remake does make it seem like we're literally going back to the beginning of the franchise, like a restart.

It just seems completely insane that gamefreak would not wanna feature the other generations pokemon so they surely must have something up their sleeve on that front

Not necessarily removing pokemon, but being locked to the original 151 for the time being and rolling out other generations through future games/updates

If Emily implying that the "151 only" rumor is true, that + yellow remake does make it seem like we're literally going back to the beginning of the franchise, like a restart.

It just seems completely insane that gamefreak would not wanna feature the other generations pokemon so they surely must have something up their sleeve on that front

Hmmm... Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum... nice way to reboot all series with "remakes of old games".

Pulling a FRLG and locking out cross gen evolutions like Crobat and Umbreon is the most asinine thing Gamefreak can do in this day and age.

I don’t care how much casuals love Kanto nor do I care if Gamefreak wants us to have an “authentic” Kanto experience. Fact of the matter is the later Pokémon add variety and they have their fans and if the “only 151” rumor is true and if they decide to have paywalls in front of access to the later gen Pokémon it could blow up in their faces in a manner they could’ve never imagined.

Inb4 none of the rumours are true and LGP/E is just a myth.

Or inb4 LGE/P ist just a standard remake because GF knows that the mere existence of a Kanto game is enough to make tons of $$$.

There's no way they won't let us use our banked Pokémon.
That is my biggest concern. I feel like Go will be the only transferable monsters at first, though. This game will be heavily rooted in Go. Unfortunately. I think that is what Emily is referencing with most of the accurate info is floating around already.

There is just no way Game Freak will remove Pokemon, it's just too much of a cost in general. No matter the reboot, there will never be a reboot in which Pokemon is removed.

Weren't a lot of fans outraged the last time there was a reboot?
However b/w had 156 new pokemon and were definitively more balanced in terms of types. Having just the first 151 mons would mean:

- No dark types.
- Only one dragon, steel and ghost type lines.
- Only two fairy type lines.
- Psychic types ruling the world.

Basically it would be a world full of normal, water and grass types.

However b/w had 156 new pokemon and were definitively more balanced in terms of types. Having just the first 151 mons would mean:

- No dark types.
- Only one dragon, steel and ghost type lines.
- Only two fairy type lines.
- Psychic types ruling the world.

Basically it would be a world full of normal, water and grass types.
Psychic wouldn't be quite as OP if mechanics were brought over. They were originally so powerful because they had a high Special stat (now split into Special Attack and Special Defense, so some can have high power but weak defenses), only one actual weakness (Ghost didn't affect them in Gen 1), and too weak Bug type moves (which have been expanded since).

But I strongly agree with everything else, especially considering how they're spread through the region. (Add in Ground and Poison and you've got nearly the entire 151) The Electric and Fire types tend to be clustered in one area-unless trainers use them frequently throughout the game, they're barely going to have any presence at all. And there's other types get a short straw in this situation, too, like Ghost (with just the Ghastly line) and Ice (only five members in the Dex, 3 of which are part water)

The original 151 were great, but it's hard to account for balance, variety, and different settings when restricting to a small number like that. (IIRC, every other regional dex had at least 50 more, save for Unova)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom