• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only holidays that matter to GameFreak are Japan's holidays, so I can see them announcing something tomorrow.
I don't think Game Freak is responsible for the announcements, that should be either The Pokémon Company or Nintendo right? They will want to announce something when they feel like it will make the strongest impact. Who knows when that will be.

@Blast; I... actually don't know, kinda always assumed that GameFreak usually decided when they make announcements and such rather than the Pokemon Company or Nintendo.

Pack it up guys
IMG_20180526_121139.jpg

/jk
FAAAAAKE!!!!! Also, The Pokémon Company International had, and ever will be, NEVER said the F word nor calling us "Losers".

If Pikachu is getting a new evolution, Gorochu or not, I would expect it to look more marketably cute than Raichu or... that.

I speculate that an Oni like evolution is what that could be alluding to. It has that "cool" factor to it at least, which separates it from normal/Alolan Raichu. Notable that GameFreak tried Oni designs before with the beta designs of Throh/Sawk & the inspiration behind Tornadus/Thundurus. Hopefully, things work out better for "Gorochu."

I'm most likely getting Eevee version anyways, depending on what exactly the version differences are going to be.

What is the logic behind not doing an announcement on a holiday? Wouldnt that be better, more people would see it if not in school or work i would think
Considering what the holiday is, it may be seen as insensitive. Also, not a lot of American people will watch it because they will be busy shopping and going to BBQs.
I speculate that an Oni like evolution is what that could be alluding to. It has that "cool" factor to it at least, which separates it from normal/Alolan Raichu. Notable that GameFreak tried Oni designs before with the beta designs of Throh/Sawk & the inspiration behind Tornadus/Thundurus. Hopefully, things work out better for "Gorochu."

I'm most likely getting Eevee version anyways, depending on what exactly the version differences are going to be.
The mascot of the franchise evolving into a Pokemon that looks like the literal devil won't go over well with the Christian community. You guys do know that the franchise has already been accused of promoting Satanism.

You guys do know that the franchise has already been accused of promoting Satanism?
Yeah, like 20 years ago. Those accusations died since then.

Also, we’ve had pokemon like Giratina and Hydreigon portrayed as evil, and have similarities with what most people consider “the devil”. Christians didn’t get offended by those, they won’t be offended by a an Oni-inspired Pikachu evolution.
Considering what the holiday is, it may be seen as insensitive. Also, not a lot of people will watch it because they will be busy shopping and going to BBQs.
Nobody in America is going to be offended by a Pokemon direct announcement. C’mon now.

The mascot of the franchise evolving into a Pokemon that looks like the literal devil won't go over well with the Christian community. You guys do know that the franchise has already been accused of promoting Satanism.

Why should GameFreak be forced to bend to the will of a single religious community? Even if the Oni evolution is legit, it is an alternate one that's not even on the box cover.

Never mind that we've already had the closest Luciferian archetype in the series on the box cover of Platinum nearly 10 years ago, in a generation that introduced a Pokegod. Then, just one generation later we had dogmatic Team Plasma as antagonist in the U.S.A. which visually displays the Christian Chi Rho symbol on their uniforms.

GameFreak doesn't care, and neither should we. The past hysteria around Pokemon & satanism was a period of lunacy and should be treated as such.

Yeah, like 20 years ago. Those accusations died since then.

Also, we’ve had pokemon like Giratina and Hydreigon portrayed as evil, and have similarities with what most people consider “the devil”.
Neither Hydreigon or Giratina have any relations to the devil. Hydreigon is based on the Hydra, a monster from Greek mythology while Giratina is a personification of antimatter.
Memorial Day isn't celebrated in Japan IIRC
But still, it will be very inconvenient for the American audience. Most American players won't even know that the games have even been announced.

So was Harry Potter....20 years ago. As someone who was on staff at a church for years, a small country South Baptist church at that, I can tell you that will not offend many people, if any in the Christian community. There’s a very loud minority that might be loud but that represents a very small precentage of Christians. Yokai watch was popular with a lot of church kids and that is technically way more spiritually “offensive” (I don’t find it offensive but others may) and no one batted an eye.

So was Harry Potter....20 years ago. As someone who was on staff at a church for years, a small country South Baptist church at that, I can tell you that will not offend many people, if any in the Christian community. There’s a very loud minority that might be loud but that represents a very small precentage of Christians. Yokai watch was popular with a lot of church kids and that is technically way more spiritually “offensive” (I don’t find it offensive but others may) and no one batted an eye.
Yokai Watch mainly orients itself around various Japanese traditional religions.
Why should GameFreak be forced to bend to the will of a single religious community? Even if the Oni evolution is legit, it is an alternate one that's not even on the box cover.

Never mind that we've already had the closest Luciferian archetype in the series on the box cover of Platinum nearly 10 years ago, in a generation that introduced a Pokegod. Then, just one generation later we had dogmatic Team Plasma as antagonist in the U.S.A. which visually displays the Christian Chi Rho symbol on their uniforms.

GameFreak doesn't care, and neither should we. The past hysteria around Pokemon & satanism was a period of lunacy and should be treated as such.
I did actual research. Giratina is a personification of antimatter. The Team Plasma symbol is the letters PZ, an abbreviation for the Japanese word purazama, which literally translates to plasma in English. Gorochu is a scrapped design and that's all it will ever be.

I did actual research.

Are you sure?

main-qimg-03e40c368381c329195a9b4622ba3f28-c

Because you'd have to be blind to not see the inspiration here if you had. Also, Giratina is the "Rebellion Pokemon" banished to its own little world by Arceus. I'm not arguing that Giratina is literally satan here, just an inspired loose "archetype". I'm not arguing for Gorochu's legitimacy, either.

Just saying that Oni demons from a separate belief system should in no way offend any Christians, especially when GF has been demonstratively more transparent on such topics in the past.

Gorochu is a scrapped design and that's all it will ever be.

Where'd you come by this information? Research?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom