• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno if this has been posted yet...
'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release - PokéBeach / Pokémon TCG, games, and anime news!
Japan’s SM8 set will be named Explosive Impact and will be released on September 7th!

Lugia-GX and Blacephalon-GX will be featured! After releasing one new Ultra Beast per set, Blacephalon is the last one to get a card in the TCG.

The set will feature 95 cards, excluding secret rares.

Since the past several sets have featured a region based on its featured Pokemon, it seems this will be our Johto set. So far we’ve seen:

• SM5 Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, released in December 2017, featured Sinnoh.
  • SM6 Forbidden Light, released in March 2018, featured Kalos and Zygarde.
  • SM7 Charisma of the Wrecked Sky, released in June 2018, featured Hoenn and Rayquaza.
  • SM8 Explosive Impact, releasing in September 2018, will feature Johto and Lugia.
  • This just leaves Unova and Kanto.
However, based on past trends, the release of a Johto set is problematic if a Unova set is still releasing and a Switch game is coming out during the holidays (as rumor has lead the fandom to believe up until now).

Before a new video game is released, the previous generation’s last set releases at least two to three months beforehand. Then, the TCG set based on the video games releases one to three months after. For example:

• Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for the 3DS were released on November 17th, 2017.
    • Two months before: Japan’s version of Crimson Invasion, the last set of the SM block, was released on September 15th, 2017.
    • One month later: Japan’s version of Ultra Prism, the first USUM set, was released on December 8th.
  • Sun and Moon were released for the 3DS on November 8th, 2016.
    • Two months before: Japan’s version of Evolutions, the last X/Y set, was released on September 16th, 2016
    • One month later: The first SM TCG set, Sun & Moon, was released on December 9th, 2016.
  • Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire were released on November 21st, 2014.
    • Two months before: XY Phantom Forces was released on September 13th, 2014.
    • One month later: XY Primal Clash (featuring ORAS) was released on December 13th, 2014.
  • X and Y for the 3DS were released on October 12th, 2013.
    • Three months before: Legendary Treasures, a B/W set, was released on July 13th, 2013.
    • Two months later: The first XY set was released on December 13th, 2013.
  • Black 2 and White 2 for the DS were released on June 23rd, 2012.
    • Three months before: Japan’s version of Dragons Exalted released on March 16th, 2012.
    • One month later: Japan’s version of Boundaries Crossed (featuring BW2) released on July 13, 2012.
  • Black and White for the DS were released on September 18th, 2010.
    • Two months before: HS – Triumphant, the last HGSS set, released on July 8th, 2010.
    • Three months later: The first Black & White TCG set released on December 17th, 2010.
So if the rumored Kanto Switch games are coming out in, say, November, there wouldn’t be enough time to release an SM9 Unova set because the SM8 Johto set just came out in September. This could mean a couple of things…

• The TCG is going to skip doing an SM9 Unova set. The special mini-sets SM6a Dragon Storm had Reshiram-GX, White Kyurem-GX, and Victini Prism Star. The upcoming mini-set SM7a Thunderclap Spark will have Virizon and Genesect (and Zeraora from this gen). A special Zekrom-GX promo is going to be released. So they may release the “stars” of Unova as promos and in these mini-sets as a way of fitting them into this TCG block. However, they’d still forego releasing most Unova Pokemon, which wouldn’t seem fair or “complete” when the other regions were featured in full sets (especially when Unova has the largest number of Pokemon).
  • The Switch game isn’t actually coming out during the holidays as rumors would have us believe. In that case, a Unova set would release in December, then the Switch game and associated Kanto TCG set would release in early 2019.
  • The Switch games are so fundamentally different than previous Pokemon video game releases that the TCG marketing is going to ignore them and do its own thing. This doesn’t seem too likely since Pokemon is a transmedia marketing machine.
What do you think is going to happen?

Also releasing on September 7th are new card sleeves and deck boxes featuring Lugia, as well as a binder featuring Ultra Necrozma.

WPM said:
  • The TCG is going to skip doing an SM9 Unova set. The special mini-sets SM6a Dragon Storm had Reshiram-GX, White Kyurem-GX, and Victini Prism Star. The upcoming mini-set SM7a Thunderclap Spark will have Virizon and Genesect (and Zeraora from this gen). A special Zekrom-GX promo is going to be released. So they may release the “stars” of Unova as promos and in these mini-sets as a way of fitting them into this TCG block. However, they’d still forego releasing most Unova Pokemon, which wouldn’t seem fair or “complete” when the other regions were featured in full sets (especially when Unova has the largest number of Pokemon).
The most probable answer, even if it seems unfair. By the time a Unova set is released outside Japan (February), the Reshiram/Zekrom distributions will be old news.

Okay, so I've been thinking about this for awhile about the "151 only rumor" and I think I might understand what was going through Game Freak head:

What if we only start out with that limit because of something Team Rainbow Rocket has done? Maybe they did something to limit the public's access to cross-gen evolutions and captured/confiscated later generation Pokémon in order to make a profit? We know Giovanni's interested in conquering worlds now, and one of the best ways to do that is through financial dependence. Plus, if Team Rocket could make a device to force evolution, then they could also make one that limits it.

Basically, I have a feeling that a possible plot of LGPE will involve us restoring cross-gen evolutions and restoring later gen Pokémon to the wild in order to stop Rainbow Rocket's monopoly. in fact, this plot could also be a chance to introduce the beta 'mons into the games as well!

Okay, so I've been thinking about this for awhile about the "151 only rumor" and I think I might understand what was going through Game Freak head:

What if we only start out with that limit because of something Team Rainbow Rocket has done? Maybe they did something to limit the public's access to cross-gen evolutions and captured/confiscated later generation Pokémon in order to make a profit? We know Giovanni's interested in conquering worlds now, and one of the best ways to do that is through financial dependence. Plus, if Team Rocket could make a device to force evolution, then they could also make one that limits it.

Basically, I have a feeling that a possible plot of LGPE will involve us restoring cross-gen evolutions and restoring later gen Pokémon to the wild in order to stop Rainbow Rocket's monopoly. in fact, this plot could also be a chance to introduce the beta 'mons into the games as well!

I don't really see it, because 'generations' are not necessarily canon to in-game lore, and thus the original 151 - no matter how much GF panders to them - are not actually any more significant than other Pokemon. What you're suggesting would pretty much be breaking the fourth wall, and would not feel natural at all.

I don't really see it, because 'generations' are not necessarily canon to in-game lore, and thus the original 151 - no matter how much GF panders to them - are not actually any more significant than other Pokemon.
Well, they are the Pokemon originally native to Kanto. Although any attempt to explain the cross-generational relatives not being native would be silly.

I'm losing all hope for this game to even be announced before E3 and at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom