• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I think that post was just a bit silly, but I think what I was trying to say is when we fans talk about stuff like tradition, and geneartions, and what's evolution and what's a form , or what's to dark or what they've done or haven't done with the series, some day it could all change. It could all change with this switch game, even. The all new, future course of pokemon! Never mind backlash or expectations, or what they usually do or never done, cuz someday it mights still be pokemon, but in a form we might not even recognize. That makes all the arguing seem kinda silly when you get right down to it. Just imagine if after red and blue/green, they added 5 types, took away half the pokemon for good, added 3rd and fourth evolutions, or let you play as the bad guys... all of that stuff sounds unrealistic now, but if they did it back in gold and silver, it'd be the norm. It'd be history. We just don't know what to expect, honestly. That's just the way I see it, though.

Cuz they've got to do what they've got to do to get to 2095, after all! Anyway, it's been fun taling to you swell guys and gals, and let's hope we meet again someday! Don't forget to have fun, folks!
Lo and behold, the vivacious vinagaroon harmonizes his sentiments with that of my compatriot, the humble Starchie. Anything could still materialize in the continued epoch that is the Pokémon dynasty! Myself as well has greatly relished in genial dialogue emitted from the brilliant minds here at Bulbagarden's Forums; however, due to turbulent life style circumstances and the greater good, we two shall simply rest at what the future may shepherd unto our future gaming installments. May you all fing good fortune in your treasured pursuit of the truth, as the new dawn, in due course, shall be revealed Farewell, forum friends! :D And here's to Pokémon Switch, in any process, guise or construction! ^_^

Lo and behold, the vivacious vinagaroon harmonizes his sentiments with that of my compatriot, the humble Starchie. Anything could still materialize in the continued epoch that is the Pokémon dynasty! Myself as well has greatly relished in genial dialogue emitted from the brilliant minds here at Bulbagarden's Forums; however, due to turbulent life style circumstances and the greater good, we two shall simply rest at what the future may shepherd unto our future gaming installments. May you all fing good fortune in your treasured pursuit of the truth, as the new dawn, in due course, shall be revealed Farewell, forum friends! :D And here's to Pokémon Switch, in any process, guise or construction! ^_^
I love when you post here.

Gee, I don't know why, but since we've been waiting so long for some idea of gen 8 to appear, it got me thinking about the future of pokemon altogether. In 20 years or so, we're almost up to an eighth generation, and over 800 pokemon. So, I guess game franchises have been going on for several decades now, dating back to stuff like Mario and Zelda, but with each new pokemon helping so far we've gotten new ones. Those kinds of action and platforming franchises just have to get better and more advanced, and even rpgs just drop their monster rosters in every game (like final fantasy and dragon quest) in favor of a reworked group. But pokemon is building a world-wide ecological system, that just keeps growing, kinda mirroring our own planet's life, just as creatures I guess.

Well anyway, there's a song I used to listen to called "Yours Truly, 2095", and I suddenly wonder what generation, or how many pokemon they'd be up to by then, ya know? Can pokemon go that long? Will games even exist in the same manner they do now? If they've gone 30 some years, even though the market has changed a bunch, I bet it can go 30 or so more easy. Will pokemon have to change it's model of growth eventually, and will we even catch a hint of that coming change in this switch game? To make us rethink how pokemn will grow from now on. Anyway, I guess I'm just lookin for stuff to talk about. Welp.
Pokemon will have to grow in different ways but not by removing pokemon
Imagine how dissapointed people would be when they leared that their favorite pokemon has been removed
Plus, gamefreak made the models reusable and pokemon bank for a reason

Never mind backlash or expectations, or what they usually do or never done, cuz someday it mights still be pokemon, but in a form we might not even recognize.
Expectations, I agree, because a completely unknown product shouldn't have to alter for various standards, but I don't think it's wise to completely disregard backlash. Pokemon's still a product to sell, y'know? There's definitely some changes where complaints are quite small compared to the positive feedback, most noticeably in people's thoughts on certain Pokemon being added, but backlash shouldn't be disregarded entirely.

That's not to say that the games shouldn't be altered in any way, of course, but it's not really reasonable to say "Pokemon will change to whatever it has to be to continue, never mind fans' support", because that support is exactly what's making it continue in the first place.

Can we get animated trailers again?

pokemon-go-generation-3-datamine--738x410.jpg.optimal.jpg

262305.jpg

Those were my sht

The B2W2 one was good, but the ORAS one felt like they gave up halfway through and just decided to spam every new Mega Evolution.

Isn’t Houndour technically native to Kanto though along with some other Johto Pokemon?

Depends on how seriously we’re meant to interpret that. It could be that Houndour ended up in Kanto simply because the Johto games had terrible distribution, or maybe they wanted to reserve some of the new Pokémon to be caught in the post-game. While it is true that the games have, on occasion, explicitly stated that a particular Pokémon isn’t native to the region corresponding to the generation in which it debuted (Togepi, Corphish, Yungoos), those nuances rarely seem to be acknowledged in any wider publicity material, where the likes of Togepi and Houndour are treated firmly as Johtonian Pokémon. So I have my doubts that the Pokémon who happen to have such quirky encounter rates and found locations are really meant to be taken so literally - we don’t really know what motivated the game designers to set it up that way.

Besides, the further that you go into that whole issue, the stickier it gets. What about cases like Marill, where it’s still plentiful in Johto and was introduced in Gen 2, but received a pre-evolution in Gen 3, but that pre-evolution doesn’t appear anywhere in the wild and is instead produced by breeding with incense, and all this even though the pre-evolutions that get added in the next Gen seem to more firmly suggest that Sinnoh is those families’ true native regions (Mr. Mime, Sudowoodo, Snorlax, Roselia, Chimecho, etc. were all very rare in Kanto and Johto and Hoenn, but their baby forms are common in Sinnoh)? And then what about when years later, they come around and decide to make Azurill commonly available in the wild in Kalos? Does Marill suddenly shift to being Kalos-native?

The closest thing we have to that in the USUM pre-release season is this:

This singular trailer hyped me up for these games, not to mention the great music! An animated version of this trailer would have been great.
And I still hate that the music went unused beyond this trailer.

See, I like what that trailer is going for, but the insipid clichés they annotate it with and the fact that they’re in Papyrus font of all things make it impossible for me to take it seriously. :|

(And while retrospect is just about the last thing that matters to a trailer, it doesn’t really help that uh, yeah, it pretty much was the Alola I know. It’s also a bit disappointing to realize that the cool cinematics of the Ultra Beasts in that trailer are all from the part of the game where Necrozma opens up Ultra Wormholes across the region, spilling UBs all over, which the Kahunas then have to deal with in battles that we never get to see and indeed are never even mentioned at all afterward.)

Last edited:
Yeah, all things considered the Giovanni's - take away any Pokemon that isn’t the original 151 doesn’t make much sense from a story and in-game standpoint. It'll be breaking the fourth wall, since some of the original 151 Pokemon may be native to other regions too (I'm pretty sure Pikachu and Eevee were available in wild in Kalos).

yeah, it pretty much was the Alola I know.
The map change to a more dry and orange tone, along with the 'This isn’t the Alola you know' had made me hopeful that the region will have some major changes (remember the speculation of the region drying?). But USUM was a disappointment in that department too.

The weekly Pokémon show has this to say about Sunday’s episode:

Worldwide earthquake! Get shock information about Pocket Monsters! Let's witness the moment a new history of Pokemon is born!

おはスタ【全世界激震!ポケットモンスター衝撃情報入手!▽ぺぱぷんたす】 | テレビ東京

According to people on resetera, it specifically mentions ポケットモンスター. That's the main series. I'm told that this page always hypes up the anime, but i thought it was worth sharing all the same.

The weekly Pokémon show has this to say about Sunday’s episode:

Worldwide earthquake! Get shock information about Pocket Monsters! Let's witness the moment a new history of Pokemon is born!

おはスタ【全世界激震!ポケットモンスター衝撃情報入手!▽ぺぱぷんたす】 | テレビ東京

Are they going to attach a trailer with the anime?
And the worldwide earthquake thing makes me think that it’s not some unimportant information or promotion.

I've translated the only important information I can find, note this is not everything being broadcast as I removed the unrelated content
Oh, 【Stupid worldwide! Pokemon shock information acquisition! ▽ Pepase (other)】

Broadcasting date May 31, 2018 (Thursday) 07: 05 - 07: 30

▽ Worldwide earthquake! Get shock information about Pocket Monsters! Let's witness the moment a new history of Pokemon is born!

▽ Pokemon Anime News Update
Performer
This is definetly curious, my immediate thoughts were it'd be anime related but these Two dot points being seperate seems to discredit such an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom