• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Are the forums super slow for anyone else?)

Also, it looks like they never actually called Let'a Go a mainline game

There is no mention about any compatibility with Pokemon Bank (though some compatibility with Pokemon Go is confirmed), which implies it's a spin-off and NOT Gen 8.

This basically confirms it’s a core game. It’s a core game but going in a different direction.

I want to know more about these games before making an informed decision. The Mewtwo cutscene looks cool. I'm tempted to buy these games but there has to be enough to justify the loss of my other favourites and mah baby Raichu.

Honestly Gamefreak separating the experience for the two different sub factions of Pokémon fans is huge

This means that our main core games won’t have to get so casualised and no fan gets alienated now, this is a very good business model on paper and addresses the main issues with the Pokémon games at present.

This spin off also invites the newer gamers to get into the main core games as well.

Wow. Some people are literally impossible to please.

So much stuff has just been announced. I’m hyped, it’s a really exciting time to be a fan. LGPE not for you? Gen VIII is around the corner. Want something extra on the side? Pokémon Quest.

Also... since when has the very first trailer for a game taught us everything there is to know about it? Put down the pitch forks. At least give the Let’s Go games more than one trailer before you decide it’s the worst thing ever and you’re disgusted.

Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee. With all the different bits and pieces of into we learned about you over these past couple weeks or so, I was unsure how you would turn out. Now, I'm not very hard to impress, but only the original 151 Pokemon? new Pokeball mechanics? Honestly, I was on and off about you. And then you give me this.

And I am satisfied.

I don't know about yall, but honestly, this makes me happy. First off, we do know that a core Pokemon game is coming in 2019, which Iikely looks like it will be gen 8 (idk though). Secondly, it looks like a gorgeous, cutesy game. I heard something about it being a little more kid friendly, and being a good way to bring new kids into the Pokemon game franchise. It's two mascots are very well known Pokemon, making them much more kid friendly. (How many times am I working in the children's department, I have a kid looking for a Pokemon book, I ask them which Pokemon is there favorite after, and they say Pikachu or Eevee).

Secondly, with their Pokemon Go related features, and seemingly no online multiplayer (just the local), it makes them look like they will be less like a Core rpg. Yes, the battle system is very much the same from what we've seen, but the encounters look different, how you catch Pokemon is like Pokemon Go. It's really interesting. And again, a core one is coming next year. Honestly, I still think that was the one they announced at e3 last year, and they probably want to take more time with it.

First, I guess I'll look at the things I am a little dissatisfied with.
  • The character models are chibi... again. Yes, It makes them look cuter and stuff, but I absolutely loved the models from SM and USUM
  • Going off the chibi models, it makes a lot of the other textures and things also very much like they were in XY and ORAS. Did you see the texture on the tall grass? It was nowhere near what it was in SM and USUM, they were in tiny litlte clumps like they were in older games.
  • If they leave the Pokemon GO pokemon catching as it is now, and don't fix it a little bit for the Switch game. How many times do I throw a Pokeball, and the Pokemon jumps, and it misses. If they do have it like this, then Pokeballs should be very cheap to buy, or easy to come by. And honestly, I'm really not all to interested in having to shake the joy-cons around to catch a Pokemon. Hopefully the gyro and motion controls on the joycons will be able to handle it. and it won't be something that can be super inconsistent. It can make a game really unenjoyable.
  • And, I am still kind of let down that it looks like it's only the original 151 Pokemon in the game (excluding that brand new never before seen Pokemon). I'll probably be only giving this game one playthrough, as only having a few options to build new teams with is no fun.
  • and, another one we are still unsure of. If this is a true Pokemon Yellow remake, will we be able to evolve Pikachu or Eevee. It would be so cool if we could, but I can kind of see why they would not, because Eevee would be more popular because it has three evolution options (unless we have more gens, then it has 8 or however many there are now). Honestly, this one is at the bottom though because it would not upset me too much.
  • The boy trainer looks too much like Ash. Idk why that bothers me so much but it does.
Now, what am I happy with?
  • Now while I'm not too excited about the models, the graphics themselves look freaking delicious.They look so good. From the textures in the characters hare to the shading to the little lighting effects to ahh it's just so pretty to look at.
  • Local Multiplayer. Yes, Let's Go! (pun completely intended). I've always wanted something like this in a Pokemon game. We don't know how much we can do with it yet, but what we can looks freaking awesome.
  • We can put clothes on are pikachus and eevees! Daww so cute!
  • Ride Pokemon seem to make a return! and without those dumb outfits you have to wear! I've always wanted to be able to hop on the back of an Onix!
Now, i know with how I wrote a lot more on what I am dissastified, then what I like, honestly, I am still really excited for these games to come out. While I will likely only buy one of them, I sure am happy to do so.

Finally, I really wonder what that special Pokemon that we've never seen before is. The clip made it seem like it might be a gift we get. Maybe it's a new mythical or legendary or something.

Phew, glad to get that all done with.

Last edited:
Maybe this wont be such a bad thing. Perhaps if this lets go series of games is for the young and casual, the main series starting with "gen 8" can become more mature and deep.

WHAT NO?!!

This has significantly decreased my chances of buying these games. Atleast there is 0 chance for me to buy the Pikachu version.
It’s simply NOT acceptable to exclude the starter evolutions. Eevee is the EVOLUTION Pokemon for f***'s sake.

I wonder if GameFreak regrets creating Raichu now or something.
I had a positive outlook for these games, and even hyped a little, but this News has put a huge dent on my hype.

Bye bye, let's go Pikachu. You're not getting my $60.
Maybe I'll buy a used copy of Let's Go Eevee when I buy a Switch with Generation 8.

Well, it's official. I'm giving these games a pass. Wake me up in 2019 when Gen 8 gets announced.

Honestly though, the biggest things that I'm bummed about are only the original 151 Pokémon are catchable, and no real online features besides Pokémon Go connectivity. I get the feeling Eevee in LG Eevee will refuse to be evolved with a stone just like Pikachu in Yellow as well, which pretty much defeats the point of having an Eevee in the first place if you ask me.

If they end up having something like a postgame National Dex & Pokémon Bank compatibility, or a really kickass new online feature like designing your own Gym, I might be more interested in giving these games a chance, but this trailer has pretty much confirmed that nothing of the sort is going to be in these games.

With the announcement of fall next year as a release date then expect a march-may title announcement along with trailers next year

I really hate this News.
This also probably means that there is no way to get the eeveelutions in the Eevee version- just like how Raichu was not available in Yellow.

They'll most probably make Raichu LGE exclusive and the eeveelutions LGP exclusive.

I was tempted to buy these games (specially since the Mewtwo cutscene hyped me a lot) and even considered the accessory. But GameFreak has made sure that my chances of buying these games are as reduced as possible.

This is a huge disservice to Raichu and Eeveelution fans.

(Are the forums super slow for anyone else?)

This basically confirms it’s a core game. It’s a core game but going in a different direction.

I want to know more about these games before making an informed decision. The Mewtwo cutscene looks cool. I'm tempted to buy these games but there has to be enough to justify the loss of my other favourites and mah baby Raichu.

No it doesn't. All it confirms is that one specific company is using that term to describe what this game is like. If you consider these games to be core series titles simply because that is how Eurogamer decided to refer to them as, then you'd also probably be playing Sun and Moon ports on Nintendo Switch right now because Eurogamer also once said that we're getting ports on Switch.

TFW I can't gloat about being right because I don't know for sure that games are spin offs.

a few weeks ago Emily implied that LGPE weren't the only paired games in dev for the switch

she may get a lot of flak but she was pretty spot on about this

as for the topic of whether these are spinoffs or not, they literally just look like the main series games with wild pokemon encounters handled differently + a few other things

so I'm gonna stick to the stance that they're just meant to be a new branch of the main series meant to appeal to go/casual/etc

Over a year and half is “around the cormer” to you?

You know what's super hilarious? All of y'alls that wanted Gen 8 to be released in 2019 are getting your wish, and yet you guys are complaining that we gotta wait more than a year anyways.

to be fair, despite gen 8 being a late 2019 release, we should have rumblings of it super early in the year, with potential movie related reveals, leaks/rumors, e tc

You mean I gotta go through all that sheisse again? :confused::LOL:

No it doesn't. All it confirms is that one specific company is using that term to describe what this game is like. If you consider these games to be core series titles simply because that is how Eurogamer decided to refer to them as, then you'd also probably be playing Sun and Moon ports on Nintendo Switch right now because Eurogamer also once said that we're getting ports on Switch.

They put the statements in question inside quotation marks, so I thought it was a direct quote from GameFreak PR or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom