• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From serebii: Edit @ 04:44: The controls for catching Pokémon in handheld mode will have you moving the console using the gyro with no touch control.
If this cannot be turned off people will destroy their consoles catching pokemon. Smart move from Ninentendo to sell more switch.
It just keeps getting worse.

An italian fan website is reporting this from the q&a:

"The title coming out in 2019 was designed to bring to its maximum the portability of Switch and they have been working on it since even before the release of the console itself and that is why the developers were not influenced in any way by Pokémon GO".

This sounds promising and reassuring:

- No pokemon Go.
- At least three years of development.

This doesn't: (serebii) Edit @ 10:51: When asking about EV training Pokémon, IGN reveals that the team wanted to simplify things with how you level up, raise & train your Pokémon, stating more details will come at a later date

So what are you guys considering this?

Gen 7, Gen 8, or a limbo/one-off generation?

I'm personally considering this Gen 8, but only if the below criteria are met:

-Patches and updates are received to make this compatible to gen 8 after the 2019 games are released, effectively grandfathering these games into Gen 8 later on.

If that doesn't happen (which it should), then it would be a one-off solo game not tied to a generation in the way generations are defined.

I'm fine with the GO catching mechanic being in the game, to be honest. I got back into GO recently, and once you turn the godforsaken bg camera off, catching is pretty easy and fun. It's just dynamic, is all.

I appreciate that I'll be able to make a direct b-line for a rarer pokemon if I see one instead of running back and forth for four hours trying to proc one, and if GO Park comes up in the game early enough, I'll be able to have fossils on my main team since an event in GO recently put them everywhere. I kind of suspect GO Park is going to replace Safari Zone, though, so that would still put it pretty late in the game.

I really want to see how they'll handle leveling, though. From the Venonat clip, battling looks just like normal, but as others have mentioned, with GF's bizarre refusal to allow rematches these days, I have no clue how leveling will be handled without it, unless they have GO's strength mechanics, which...can be considered a mess, in a way. I'm going to hope they just allow trainer rematches and leave it be, because if they adopt GO's route, prepare to catch and release billions upon billions of Pokemon in an attempt to find one that won't die in one hit.

This doesn't: (serebii) Edit @ 10:51: When asking about EV training Pokémon, IGN reveals that the team wanted to simplify things with how you level up, raise & train your Pokémon, stating more details will come at a later date

I'm actually exited to see if they change this in a meaningful way instead of just axing the concept of variable ways to play one Pokemon altogether. EV's and IV's are just not fun to grind for. I have a max IV Ditto, and it's still a chore. If natures could play a bigger role in how a Pokemon grows, that would streamline the process a bit.

Last edited:
So what are you guys considering this?

Gen 7, Gen 8, or a limbo/one-off generation?

I'm personally considering this Gen 8, but only if the below criteria are met:

-Patches and updates are received to make this compatible to gen 8 after the 2019 games are released, effectively grandfathering these games into Gen 8 later on.

If that doesn't happen (which it should), then it would be a one-off solo game not tied to a generation in the way generations are defined.
They clearly don't want us to think these are either gen 8 or gen 7: grid based, floating stairs, no wild battles, no z moves or megas etc. These will not be gen 8 graphics and mechanics for sure. This is why the first titles on a new system for the first time in history are not a new gen. These are probably standalone remakes that (despite what Joe thinks) will probably feature the first 8 gen pokemon or simply another useless mythical pokemon from gen 7.
I consider them a spin off cross between go and a main serie remake. I wouldn't include them in any generation.

They clearly don't want us to think these are either gen 8 or gen 7: grid based, floating stairs, no wild battles, no z moves or megas etc. These will not be gen 8 graphics and mechanics for sure. This is why the first titles on a new system for the first time in history are not a new gen. These are probably standalone remakes that (despite what Joe thinks) will probably feature the first 8 gen pokemon or simply another useless mythical pokemon from gen 7.
I consider them a spin off cross between go and main serie remake. I wouldn't include them in any generation.

Well that's all well and fine, except one thing, they're officially recognized as main series games, they just are main series games not tied to a generation. Besides the wild encounter functions, everything else seems to function like a main series title would.

Well that's all well and fine, except one thing, they're officially recognized as main series games, they just are main series games not tied to a generation. Besides the wild encounter functions, everything else seems to function like a main series title would.
What I meant is that I consider them spin offs in the main serie for now because:

- if they'll abondon this idea in the future, then these are more spin off than main line games. Just a standalone break. (My vote here).
- If they'll continue these patterns in future games (let's go misdreavus; let's go murkrow; let's go mawile; let's go sableye etc) then they will just be the first titles of a new parallel main serie.
- I don't even want to consider the idea that gen 8 will follow these patterns. I just don't.

The things that trouble be more is the wild encounter change, and the implications for the leveling systems. I hope that there’s something in that it’s not just how GO works.

With the news on Gen 8 games being different from LGPE (hopefully they won’t dumb down the competitive side of it, as the sereebi’s post on the EV training implicates), I don’t mind much LGPE, expecially if it means that they don’t have to change the traditional games to appease the GO crowd.

But I do want to actual train my Pokémon, and evolving them. It’s one of the things I always loved to do, from when I was a kid stuck on Cinnabar Island without knowing how to proceed, and started training all my Pokémon in the boxes. :D

What I meant is that I consider them spin offs in the main serie for now because:

- if they'll abondon this idea in the future, then these are more spin off than main line games. Just a standalone break. (My vote here).
- If they'll continue these patterns in future games (let's go misdreavus; let's go murkrow; let's go mawile; let's go sableye etc) then they will just be the first titles of a new parallel main serie.
- I don't even want to consider the idea that gen 8 will follow these patterns. I just don't.
I do think they might have two parallel main series, that seems their intent with LGPE. Maybe it’ll also help in developing a strong campaign in the traditional new games, since the ‘easier’ path is occupied with LGPE-Type of games.

I do have concerns, howewer, for the graphical
Standpoint. I’m still not so sure if they’d make the two types of games different in that regard. I hope so, expecially because I’d like a protagonist that seems a little bit older, compared to S/M and LGPE.

Happy Day!

Attachments

• 96505B23-CF4A-4A19-BD01-E1BCB1821A8A.jpeg
    96505B23-CF4A-4A19-BD01-E1BCB1821A8A.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 104
I also have to admit they made the same mistake twice. Now people will be more interested in next year games than to these ones, exactly what happened with usum last year. I'm telling this because I'm the first one caring more about next year than to these titles and they were just revealed, which is not promising.

Btw: 2018 or later...We were all right in the end. At least we don't have to fight about that anymore :)

Last edited:
So I stayed up late to watch the reveal last night, at first glance I was pretty devastated lmao, until of course I found out Gen 8 is coming next year. It really did take watching the trailer about 6/7 times for me to even warm up to the idea of this...

I have to pretend like I will enjoy training a Golbat that can never evolve... or starting with a cute Eevee that can never evolve into my...favourite..Pokémon? Ok. So the evolution Pokémon has been stripped of it's concept? Lol.

There are things I really really liked, that I am only just coming around to because I know another game is coming next year, and things I really didn't like;
- Pokémon following is great.
- Not gonna enjoy using the Joycon/Pokeball accessory thing to catch Pokémon, I can already see videos of children launching them at the screen by accident. Not to mention I'm pissed wild battles are gone.
- At first the graphics literally made me die inside because it's essentially XY on the Switch... the blocky, Kanto disaster I hoped would changed.
- No Jolteon apparently............................................. WHY.
- Love the multiplayer concept and I think that's what had me.
- This better be it for gen 1 pandering now, no more future generations with a Snorlax shoehorned onto a bridge in Kalos "just because".
- They can add 1 new Pokémon and "some" Alolan mons but no cross-gen evos whatsoever? Yeah, let's just pretend they don't exist just to protect a fluctuating fans nostalgia lmao.
- My first thought was "XY bred with Animal Crossing" and that is not good.
- Gen 8 better be a completely different direction than this, because as a competitive longtime player, I want what I know.

Of course I will be buying the games as I buy every Pokémon game, regardless of my initial opinions because often times, those are changed once I play, but this is a very different route.

I also have to admit they made the same mistake twice. Now people will be more interested in next year games than to these ones, exactly what happened with usum last year. I'm telling this because I'm the first one caring more about next year than to these titles and they were just revealed, which is not promising.

I somewhat agree, but I also wouldn't go so far as to paint a general consensus over everybody because of what you personally feel. There's obviously some of us that are considering getting these games and are interested, so your generalization isn't fair at all.

An italian fan website is reporting this from the q&a:

"The title coming out in 2019 was designed to bring to its maximum the portability of Switch and they have been working on it since even before the release of the console itself and that is why the developers were not influenced in any way by Pokémon GO".

This sounds promising and reassuring:

- No pokemon Go.
- At least three years of development.

At least 3 years in development isn't very reassuring considering 3 years got us the likes of XY and SM. The new gen games really need 4 or 5 years to really be good.

I'm fine with the Let's Go series being a "Pokemon-Go-for-the-Switch-but-with-Gen1-story" sort of feature. Might be more of a side-game to test new things and introduce people to how Pokemon would actually be like on the Switch.

Kanto on the Switch looks beautiful, and I cannot wait to see what they'd do with Sinnoh should a Gen4 remake makes its arrival. I'm already excited about how the Distortion World would look like on the Switch because the Let's Go trailers seem to show caves in high quality 3D :D

I really loved every second of the trailer. I was watching it probably mini-gasping at everything. Even though it isn't Gen 8, I am really looking forward to these games and I will be definitely buying the Eevee game. I cannot fault or criticise anything in the trailer tbh. The one thing I am disappointed about though is that there probably won't be character customization. But I like how you can customize Pikachu and Eevee. :p

I just really want a Sinnoh remake soon though.

I don't understand this fandom... I love this new games, yes, they have bad things, but they look really fun.

Skip then if you want guys, but im going to enjoy them I don't know why you are expecting anything else, it's the same as always with the damn Hype season, and as always, in about 2 or 3 years everyone will be saying that the games were nice.

PS: im sorry if I sound rude, im very tired of this community and also im sorry if my english was bad, im just woke up 2 mins ago XD
you dont understand how people feeling and including me

In second half of 2019, we want to see new Pokemon title after the end of the series sun and moon, when necrozma arc comes to an end

Eh, I disagree. This was the best move they could make - they're targeting potentially new fans from Go or returning ones for Gen 1 nostalgia, while also reassuring fans not interested in Let's Go at the same time. Last year it was different. USUM was a rehashed version of a somewhat controversial game that released 7 months previous on an old console when lots of people were just anticipating a Switch game. It makes sense so many would be more interested in the first Switch game than that.

Imagine if they didn't announce next year's game will be more like XY and SM. There would be a year or so of fans arguing, worrying about whether this type of Go-inspired game was the future of the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom