• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will agree this was not the best approach, but I think they're thinking long term with this. They see it as getting more people into the main series. I'm not too sure that's what's going to happen. Not only are we talking about making people who got an app for free spend hundreds of dollars for the ability to actually do something with your pokemon, but I doubt many of those said people will even play it for a long time and just leave it alone after a few minutes. This was not the time to even remotely piss off the core fanbase, and some of them might even ragequit over this, even though all they have to do is wait until next year. To be fair, I think only the really petty ones will do this and they shouldn't be concerned over it. In the end, I think their goal could be accomplished, just not on a large scale. As for seeing the mechanics going forward, I'm not too certain on some of it. I've said before we don't need an additional layer of possible failure on top of the 3 we already have. I'm also fairly confident that they won't make wild encounters empty going forward. Making customizable pokemon is something that sounds incredibly complex to me. We're talking trying to resize a model to fit zillions of other models. If it does go forward, it may only be in a limited fashion.

This is probably the last thing on anybody's mind, but...
View attachment 110517
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does it look like they may be returning to the classic colour schemes from Gens III to V?
The whole trailer looked a lot more vivid than the colouring from the 3DS games.
Well, I don't know if I'll be getting the games, but I must say the models certainly look beautiful.

Hopefully though, this means that Kanto and its infectious nostalgia will no longer invade new Pokemon generations and allow them to stand up on their own. That is really becoming tiresome, and I won't lie - I was rather exasperated to see this announcement. But as everyone else has been saying, hopefully this will allow those who prefer Gen I to have their own little corner so that we can have ours.
Oh man, I hope you're right.

B899750F-D7E0-4138-A307-5612C4E096AC.jpeg

Did venonat's eyes change colour on fainting before?

I really loved every second of the trailer. I was watching it probably mini-gasping at everything. Even though it isn't Gen 8, I am really looking forward to these games and I will be definitely buying the Eevee game. I cannot fault or criticise anything in the trailer tbh. The one thing I am disappointed about though is that there probably won't be character customization. But I like how you can customize Pikachu and Eevee. :p

I just really want a Sinnoh remake soon though.
You can customize the trainer and pikachu/eevee it is confirmed although you cannot evolve either pikachu/eevee also no wild pokemon battle just a capture minigame th th whole time

My main concern now with the new catching system is that all the methods they've talked off involve physically moving something. And that doesn't seem very accessible in the slightest. I'm sure that there will be some kind of setting to make it be used with a button press, but this is reminding me about the complaints Mario Odyssey had about gating off some of it's move-set behind motion controls.

Oh well, skipping these games, but there are still Octo Expansion and Smash to satisfy me for this year. If Game Freak wants my money, they have to stop pandering to the Game Boy line of Pokemon games, that is all.

Last edited:
Things I want them to keep in gen 8:

- Pokemon following you or riding on bigger pokemon. Just don't try to do otherwise...
- The catching mechanic can stay if and only if it'll be optional and wild battles returns.
- Customization for pokemon. (Btw are we sure this time we can customize the avatars and we are not in the oras scenario again? Cause floating stairs are in the games, you know...).
- Pokemon in the overworld.
- Multiplayer.

They can get rid of everything else, in particular:

- Grid based, floating stairs, chibi.
- Kanto. Kanto. Kanto. STOP.
- Anything else related to Go: accessories, titles, simplification of the games etc.

Thing they should bring back:

- 650 Pokemon (like seriously?).
- Megas and Z moves.
- Good overworld graphics (at least).
- The plot.
- IVS, EVS.

Have I already said they should get rid of Kanto and Go forever?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jRtpMKLsts

ope. I'm not going out to buy a Pokemon Go sequel that is a remake of a generation we've been to FOUR times. I want a traditional pokemon game, not another spinoff that forces you to use motion controls. I love pokemon, so please Game freak, don't do this for the casual market

I still don't understand if these games can be played with a tradional controller or you are forced to play with the joy-cons.

Haters gonna hate but these games look absolutely phenomenal, I don't see why the Kanto hate. We haven't been there in nearly a decade, the same length between Hoenn games and their remakes, there is absolutely no harm in a Kanto remake at this point in time, the last time we visited Kanto was in 2009-10 with HGSS, like really? And can you really even count that? That's a Johto game with a quick breeze through Kanto, that's not a true Kanto adventure.

Anyways, I like the GO integration so far, the game itself can function without any GO integration though, and even as a standalone game it looks freakin' phenomenal.

The no wild battles is a rather big change, but I'm not against it, I typically Max Repel'd my way through every game anyways, I do wonder how EV training will be handled, without breeding, we'll obviously be hyper training for IV's, but perhaps they can create designated post-game trainers that have teams of Pokemon that only award one type of EV, for example, a trainer that has six Pokemon only awarding Speed EV's, and so on.

Yellow is probably in my top-5 games, as is HGSS, so to see features like those come back is amazing! Also, the fact that it appears your own Pokemon now possess inherent field abilities, or essentially possess HM's separate from their four combat move slots, is also a fundamentally necessary change to enhance the Pokemon experience. Following Pokemon is back, the Eevee or Pikachu sits on your shoulder or head!

As far as only having the original Pokemon, don't worry, we've seen this before in games like Emerald only having Hoenn Dex til post-game, FRLG did the same, and BW did the same, I'd put money on this game receiving patches/DLCs/updates to slowly gain more Pokemon in the Pokedex, and finally, to coincide with the 2019 releases, receives compatibility updates to be able to connect to the 2019 games.

Anyways, even if this game is marketed to a different audience, I will still be able to thoroughly enjoy this game, just hearing Alola honestly makes me want to puke in my mouth, I haven't touched the franchise since USUM came out because of how stale Alola got, this is exactly what I needed to get back into the series, I always wanted a Yellow remake in 3D and my wish was granted.

IVs and EVs are absent?

We don't know yet. During Q&A they declined to comment.

They'll either be absent entirely, which if you think about it, isn't that detrimental to competitive play, a Pokemon with 0IVs and 0EVs vs. another Pokemon with 0IVs and 0EVs will be just as balanced as Pokemon with 31IVs and 508EVs vs. another with 31IVs and 508EVs. It'll be sort of Gen 1 or Gen 2-esque.

They could also be avialable through alternative means, we could still get IVs through hyper training if breeding isn't available post-game, super training could be available for EVs, or specific trainers set aside with mono-EV rewarding teams.

‘Haters’ or people who don’t want to pay $60 for XY- Kanto edition?

Using the chibi style from a generation ago is the most glaring thing I’ve noticed in the games.

Then don't buy it, but don't write it off as some spin-off or half assed Kanto edition.

This game looks freakin' amazing and if you can't set aside your anti-Kanto bias to see that, that's a you problem, not mine :)

I personally love the OG and Kanto, and I have fond memories of playing Blue, Yellow, and FireRed.

That doesn’t mean I (as well as others in the same spot) should be thrilled to play again in the region, expecially with only the OG Pokémon, and won’t some features cut off.

I’m fine with LGPE because the traditional style of Pokémon games will still happening in 2019, so if I play LGPE I’m expecting a different experience, but many people were still expecting something more in the lines of the previous games, or maybe more improvements, so I can see why there’s disappointment.

Haters gonna hate but these games look absolutely phenomenal, I don't see why the Kanto hate. We haven't been there in nearly a decade,
I mean, i’m happy for you that you like the games, but a lot of us don’t care about revisiting a prettied up (if you can even call it that... the artsyle looks horrid imo) 1:1 version of Kanto.

As far as only having the original Pokemon, don't worry, we've seen this before in games like Emerald only having Hoenn Dex til post-game, FRLG did the same, and BW did the same, I'd put money on this game receiving patches/DLCs/updates to slowly gain more Pokemon in the Pokedex, and finally, to coincide with the 2019 releases, receives compatibility updates to be able to connect to the 2019 games.
Adding post gen 1 pokemon as DLC is the scummiest thing GF could do. We also have no indication that they want more than Kanto pokemon in this game.

What I’m stuck wondering is: in the preview image of the official trailer video, why does Pikachu look so much worse than Eevee and why did they just upload it like that?? Eevee has like, nicer shading that makes it look alive, while Pikachu looks like a balloon with eyes painted on? (the eevee model and this nice rendition of it still have the “looks like a haunted baby doll that is coming to kill you” face problem, but at least its high quality?)

Anyway I’m curious to see more news about these games (and of course, what is likely to be the actual gen 8 game, but we probably wont get that news for a while). I still think that they could be fun, but getting more info will be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom