• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venonat does look really good, I will admit. Very fluffy! They did a good job on updating the models.

We don't know yet. During Q&A they declined to comment.

They'll either be absent entirely, which if you think about it, isn't that detrimental to competitive play, a Pokemon with 0IVs and 0EVs vs. another Pokemon with 0IVs and 0EVs will be just as balanced as Pokemon with 31IVs and 508EVs vs. another with 31IVs and 508EVs. It'll be sort of Gen 1 or Gen 2-esque.

They could also be avialable through alternative means, we could still get IVs through hyper training if breeding isn't available post-game, super training could be available for EVs, or specific trainers set aside with mono-EV rewarding teams.

Then don't buy it, but don't write it off as some spin-off or half assed Kanto edition.

This game looks freakin' amazing and if you can't set aside your anti-Kanto bias to see that, that's a you problem, not mine :)

They said themselves that it’s not the traditional
kind of Pokémon game. They’re just trying to not say officially that it’s a spinoff. The very use of ‘core RPG’ is also a way to cover the fact that it’s not a classic Pokémon game. At least, in my opinion. It’s fair if you have a different opinion, although in my case, it has little to do with Kanto.

I mean, i’m happy for you that you like the games, but a lot of us don’t care about revisiting a prettied up (if you can even call it that... the artsyle looks horrid imo) 1:1 version of Kanto.

Adding post gen 1 pokemon as DLC is the scummiest thing GF could do. We also have no indication that they want more than Kanto pokemon in this game.

I never said it would be paid DLC, it'd be more akin to a patch or an update, mostly for compatibility reasons.

Also, how can you call this a 1:1 version of Kanto? It's a trailer, you have no idea what extras could be available, in like the post-game, or even in the regular story. What the trailer showed so far is barely scratching the surface. This could turn out to be one of the greatest releases to date, and that has a lot to do with the capabilities of the Switch.

Then don't buy it, but don't write it off as some spin-off or half assed Kanto edition.
In case you didn’t notice, I’m the person correcting everyone who calls this game a spin off on this thread. :)

This game looks freakin' amazing and if you can't set aside your anti-Kanto bias to see that, that's a you problem, not mine :)
I’m not biased towards Kanto and have prepared myself for the possibility for a long time.
I was just not prepared for them to use an art style from 3DS’s first games for the Switch and charge more for it...
I’d have loved it if the games used the recent non-chibi art.

I think it’s a valid complaint that they’re using an art style which was used in older $40 games in a remake with more restricted Pokémon selection and lesser features and charge $60 for it.

The style looks more charming to me as I look at the trailer more.
I’m still forming my opinions for this game and they’re in a ‘subject to change at a moment’s notice’ stage currently.

I mean, i’m happy for you that you like the games, but a lot of us don’t care about revisiting a prettied up (if you can even call it that... the artsyle looks horrid imo) 1:1 version of Kanto.

Adding post gen 1 pokemon as DLC is the scummiest thing GF could do. We also have no indication that they want more than Kanto pokemon in this game.

Well, if it’s a free dlc it would be fine, although I don’t see it happening either way. If they’re going for two mainline parallel type of games, I’m sure LGPE will have sequels in the old regions.

Hey guys! I have been inactive here for months, but I think I am kinda back now, and I have a lot of catching up to do, I guess.

So I just saw the newly announced Pokemon games, and I feel completely lost, especially as someone who isnt (or wasnt? :) ) planning to buy a Switch. Anyway, the blocky game looks terribly uninteresting. But I really wanna know more about the Evee/Pikachu game. What will it be? I am confused because you guys are saying it is not a main series game, yet it is supposed to be similar to Yellow, which IS a main series game? Could someone elaborate? Will there be classic single player battles? Will there be gyms?

Furthermore, I wanna ask an unrelated question, since I may consider getting a Switch: will the GBA and DS Pokemon games release on the Switch Eshop/ Virtual Console? Or should I not expect them at all, considering there the Switch doesnt have dual screens?

Last edited:
Guys...what route is this??
Kanto route.jpg

cause I'm kinda scared about this:
tree.jpg

Ok I know hater will be hater, but is always like this when is not what some fans thought it would be like, but you most also think that there is some people who have played the Pokémon games since Gen 1, so this game I think is for the fans who started out in Kanto the ones who played the absolut first Pokémon game for the GameBoy.

I got my first Pokémon game when I was 10 years old I had Pokémon Red, since that day I have being a Pokémon fan and I am soon to be 31 year old, so I have being every where kanto, johto, hoenn I swing them all, but Unova was my least favorit.

A after all we are getting a Main Core Pokémon game next year and I fine with that for that mean that they can make sure to give it the time it need so it can become a awesome and great Core game.

In case you didn’t notice, I’m the person correcting everyone who calls this game a spin off on this thread. :)

I’m not biased towards Kanto and have prepared myself for the possibility for a long time.
I was just not prepared for them to use an art style from 3DS’s first games for the Switch and charge more for it...
I’d have loved it if the games used the recent non-chibi art.

I think it’s a valid complaint that they’re using an art style which was used in older $40 games in a remake with more restricted Pokémon selection and lesser features and charge $60 for it.

The style looks more charming to me as I look at the trailer more.
I’m still forming my opinions for this game and they’re in a ‘subject to change at a moment’s notice’ stage currently.

I for one much preferred the Gen 6 artstyle, the Gen 7 graphics looked very choppy and beta. The concept of proper proportion graphics was good, but the execution was terrible. The chibi version at least executes much better. Personally, I go back to ORAS after spending time on USUM and am just amazed at how clean of a look ORAS is.

Also, I've personally just always wanted Yellow remade in 3D, I predicted it almost a year ago, more as a hopeful wish than a prediction, but I got it anyways, I just wish more people of the fandom would respect this game for the spirit of the game, and for the meaning behind it, this is a way that they can bring what is to many of us, our first adventure in the franchise, to a newer, younger audience, and this also will act as a bridge to the main series for GO-exclusive fans. For every person that is sick of Kanto, there is another who has never been to Kanto before, and another like me who has been dying to go back to Kanto after a 9 year hiatus, which is the same length between Emerald and ORAS, so is it really that absurd to receive a Kanto remake at this point in time? Sure, Kanto gets its references and its fan service rather regularly, but it's sort of that "old school/retro/origins" of Pokemon, it's like home base for the Pokemon franchise, and as most of us are older fans, we should respect that. I know that Kanto isn't perfect, but people act like Kanto will always be same old Kanto, when it won't, this game could make Kanto enjoyable and more lively.

Also, how can you call this a 1:1 version of Kanto? It's a trailer, you have no idea what extras could be available, in like the post-game, or even in the regular story. What the trailer showed so far is barely scratching the surface. This could turn out to be one of the greatest releases to date, and that has a lot to do with the capabilities of the Switch.
1527671256442w8ryd.jpg

Same layout. Pallet town is still just 3 buildings for crying out loud. They even regressed back to grid based maps like in the old games when the Alola maps got rid of that.

People just need to shut up and say thanks we got something this year after us/um last year, tbh i didn't think we gonna get anything in 2018 so i'm pleased with this.
if you don't like it don't buy it, you getting the real thing next year.

I am confused because you guys are saying it is not a main series game, yet it is supposed to be similar to Yellow, which IS a main series game? Could someone elaborate?
It’s a mainline game.

Just a very dumbed down one.

They said that both the 2019 game and LGPE are ‘core games’ so I don’t see it as a cover up.
Because, in my opinion, they don’t want to use the term spinoff, or that it’s a new parallel series, because it’d have negative effect.

They said themselves that the 2019 games will be in line with their recent games, so it’d appease to the old/competitive crowd, and that LGPE was born to attract the GO crows. This game is a hybrid between the old ones and GO.

Maybe spinoff isn’t indeed the right term, but it’s not part of traditional games, at least me. It’s an experiment to start a new mainline series of Pokémon games, to run parallel with the traditional one.

People just need to shut up and say thanks we got something this year after us/um last year, tbh i didn't think we gonna get anything in 2018 so i'm pleased with this.
if you don't like it don't buy it, you getting the real thing next year.

I honestly give up on this fandom. They're so negative nowadays. They'd cry if we got nothing but they cry because we got a, by all definitions, well overdue Kanto remake. There was 9 years between Johto visits, 7-8 years between RBY and FRLG, and 9 years between RSE and ORAS, the fact that anybody is surprised by this astounds me. It lines up almost perfectly with all other remakes ever.

The spirit of this game is marketed to give those who were born too late to enjoy classic Kanto games a chance to live through what we all lived through when we were younger. If a Kanto remake isn't for you, then so be it, a lot of people were turned off by Hoenn remakes too but those games still sold like hot cakes, at the end of the day most of the people complaining are going to get it like they do with every game anyways, but their open negativity really rubs off on otherwise excited fans such as myself.

If you can't at least respect the spirit of this game and the ulterior meaning behind it, you can't really call yourself a true fan of the franchise. This game is targeted to a younger audience of either kids who missed RBY and FRLG, or people who got into the franchise through GO, with the bonus of attracting the nostalgia freaks like me.

The end result is, this will carry a good portion of GO's absolutely massive fanbase into the main series games starting with these and bridging them to 2019. It'll also give kids a fleshed out journey through Kanto.

Is it possible that, like pokemon go, they add other pokemons and regions as DLC? I would like to see johto again, even with the same pattern...

1527671256442w8ryd.jpg

Same layout. Pallet town is still just 3 buildings for crying out loud. They even regressed back to grid based maps like in the old games when the Alola maps got rid of that.

And yet it pulls it off wonderfully, just as ORAS did with the Hoenn layout, which you could say follows all the same structural patterns and components that Kanto does, being that they existed in Gen III together.

This game is even more beautiful than ORAS and ORAS is still my favorite game to date. I can accept that maybe this game isn't for you, but I don't like seeing portions of the fandom so hostile and negative towards a certain section of the franchise.

I just wish more people of the fandom would respect this game for the spirit of the game
You know it’s hard to respect a game which has special quirks for your favourite Pokemon’s pre evolution, but they try their hardest to lock your favourite Pokémon out of the game (Raichu)...

Kanto will always be same old Kanto, when it won't, this game could make Kanto enjoyable and more lively.
Except the map comparison shown by @Icy Wind indicates that very less has changed, and all the things that could make Kanto more lively (151+ mons in the main game, Megas, Z-Moves, connection with SM/USUM) are absent.
I was excited to see how the games would handle Rainbow Rocket... to see they’re pretending that Rainbow Rocket doesn’t exist.

I’m excited to a degree about these games but gamefreak needs to show a more lively Kanto to sell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom