• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have to respect anything related to Kanto if I don't want to, what's the problem of just moving on? I also hate the logic that if you hate Kanto, then you're not a true Pokemon fan. A true Pokemon fan doesn't have to like Kanto to enjoy the series.

Liking something and respecting something are two very different things, there are people in life I hate but respect for what they do or have done greatly, and there are people I like a lot yet I don't respect much about them.

What I'm saying is, you can hate Kanto, but you must respect the spirit of Kanto, and that Kanto snowballed into the franchise we have now, and we wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't for Red and Blue 22 years ago.

Additionally, there's a large amount of fans that haven't played a full-fledged Kanto game (only RBY and FRLG qualify as full-fledged Kanto games), probably equal to the size of the fans that have, and this will be a great experience for them.

Last edited:
By that logic if you cannot respect the spirit and ulterior meaning behind USUM you are not a true fan of the franchise.

You're 100% right, and I do respect USUM. I've played and thoroughly enjoyed every single main series release to date. I have my favorites and my least favorites but I could not possibly sit here and lie to you and say that any of these games gave me an unenjoyable experience, repetitive, maybe, but I still have four different Alola games each with a Hall of Fame record, so to say I haven't respected or enjoyed every game, even the repetitive ones, is outright false.

The ironic part is that with the new graphics, and the way they made the tree, it makes even less sense why we wouldn't just pass above, or even at the side. :D

Though if the field ability is true, maybe it won't be as bothersome as before.

"Your game has successfully updated. Wait! 100 more pokemon appear from nothing, all of them are breeding and evolving in new different ways. Argh! Pikachu has discovered it has a son and now it has to leave you to take care of it". GF logic.

And yet it pulls it off wonderfully, just as ORAS did with the Hoenn layout, which you could say follows all the same structural patterns and components that Kanto does, being that they existed in Gen III together.
Speaking of ORAS, one of the things I liked about ORAS was the diverse surfing/diving models. We got Wailmer, Sharpedo, and even Kyogre. The Let's Go series seems to expand on the idea of Ride Pokemon and allow the trainer to traverse the region on mons that we never got to ride on. I didn't really like the idea of up-to-scale walking pokemon if they're not going to do anything but simply follow the trainer and take up space. However, I'm all for the idea of them giving us rides. An entire region is much too tiring for a kid to travel alone. Heck, I never thought about riding an Onix but that seems like a fairly good feature. It would be great if the trainers are able to ride on all kinds of pokemon instead of being limited to one or two. I mean - isn't it natural to ask a party member for help compared to suddenly summoning a Tauros?

Under the assumption that these work well, the next core games and/or Gen4 remakes would be able to offer different methods of traveling. I seriously hope we can ride on pokemon like Honchkrow or Staraptor. It'd be so cool :D

I could not possibly sit here and lie to you and say that not any of these games gave me an unenjoyable experience, repetitive, maybe, but I still have four different Alola games each with a Hall of Fame record, so to say I haven't respected or enjoyed every game, even the repetitive ones, is outright false.

just hearing Alola honestly makes me want to puke in my mouth, I haven't touched the franchise since USUM came out because of how stale Alola got,

If hearing Alola wants you to puke and you didn’t touch the franchise after these games I doubt you enjoyed USUM...
That gave me the impression that you didn’t like USUM.
Maybe there’s a misunderstanding?

I'll call all of my predictions right now. This won't be some vanilla "locked into Kanto only features" stale remake.

This game will have it's own uniques twists, post-game, and plot features. This game will become compatible to the 2019 games via updates.

We will receive access to more than just Kanto Pokemon. And most of all, this game will be a hit, a top-seller, and an outstanding success.

Sigged, EmpoleonProd, May 30th, 2018

I'll call all of my predictions right now. This won't be some vanilla "locked into Kanto only features" stale remake.

This game will have it's own uniques twists, post-game, and plot features. This game will become compatible to the 2019 games via updates.

We will receive access to more than just Kanto Pokemon. And most of all, this game will be a hit, a top-seller, and an outstanding success.

Sigged, EmpoleonProd

I hope all of it is true.

If hearing Alola wants you to puke and you didn’t touch the franchise after these games I doubt you enjoyed USUM...
That gave me the impression that you didn’t like USUM.
Maybe there’s a misunderstanding?

Like I said, the games did get repetitive, but I still bought and played them, I knew what I was getting into, and yes, I did get tired of the Alola games, but perhaps I exaggerated a little bit. I needed a change of scenery, or a back to old school style game, and this is what I needed. I wouldn't care if I was the only one who bought this game, it looks amazing and I can already tell this is gonna make my top-3 list of games, probably not overthrowing ORAS as 1st, but perhaps taking 2nd from HGSS or 3rd from Emerald, and FYI, USUM sits 4th, the only reason I call Alola stale and repetitive is because we got four games of it IN A ROW. If something had been released inbetween SM and USUM, or if USUM had been consolidated into one game, my reaction would've been a lot different, in my opinion, USUM were the "complete" games and SM shouldn't exist, but it's whatever.

Despite the fact that they’ve said the opposite?

That’s as safe as you can get as far as bets go.

To start with, the game will be available with the original 151, just like GO was, it would almost be absurd if they didn't feature updates to include the later Pokemon, GO did it as a free patch, why shouldn't this game? The Switch is definitely capable of it.

And I don't back down from a challenge, that'll be my sig until the 2019 games release. If I need to shorten it if it's not the legal size, I can do that, but I won't delete it or anything. No shame if I'm wrong. The main reason I'm doing this is because I've been right before and have had to look through posts for 30-60 mins to prove it by finding a post from 1-2 years ago, gonna save future me an hour by doing it right here out in the open.

There's also the fact that only Kanto Pokemon can be transferred to these games from Pokemon GO. And I don’t think their PR is dumb enough to not specify 'Till postgame' in promotional material.

As for patches, it has literally never happened before, but lots of things hadn’t happened in this franchise before so...

Like, I couldn't even care less if the game sells fantastically. I'm a customer, not a stock holder, or an analyst or anything of the sort. I know Nintendo's going to do fine, so I really don't care. I just want quality experiences on the Switch.

I was really holding out on Pokemon at least being as decent as previous games, but I guess that was hoping for too much.

I will continue to believe we can have a natural world for pokemon. I do not believe that this is going to be what the main series turns into just yet. I will have to wait 9 months at least.

To start with, the game will be available with the original 151, just like GO was, it would almost be absurd if they didn't feature updates to include the later Pokemon, GO did it as a free patch, why shouldn't this game? The Switch is definitely capable of it.
I just don’t see any reason why they would patch later gen pokemon instead of just including them in the base game like every other game in the series, on top of Masuda saying “In general, only the first 150 pokemon will be catchable”. That would be a waird statement if they intended to include gen2-7 pokemon after launch.

And like @PkmnTrainerV said, you can only transfer gen 1 pokemon from go. That doesn’t bode well for including later gen pokemon, considering go is on gen 3 now.

This is also the same company that refused to patch ~20 mega evos from ORAS to XY. I don’t have hope that they would patch 650+ pokemon in this game.

#EverythingIsAwful!!!!!

But seriously, I’m ambivalent right now. I’ll wait to see what bells and whistles they’ve added on. We couldn’t have seen everything already.

@EmpoleonProd let people vent. We had a lot of Kanto references and have had the Kanto pokemon more than any other region, excluding the Native pokemon, which actually we had Kantp Pokémon galore just as much as the alolan ones. What joy is it taking down Erika and misty again when it’s the same Pokémon you used on gen 1 and frlg? And what joy is there in the same Pokémon, and being limited to the same Pokémon we’ve had for 3/4 of the recent games?

Not to mention you lose out on that joy of your first partner evolving. It’s not as special when it’s another one of the same species, Becaise they won’t ride Lapras with you.

It’s just a yellow remake. And for everyone tired of the all the kanto Pokémon, it’s not enjoyable enough for them to be excited. We’ve spent months looking at leaks and talking and guessing what they would release this year. Let people vent. It’s not hurting you or anyone else. You don’t like it then just don’t read the posts. Talk with people who do look forward to it.

Now on a separate note the trailer shows transferring to GO and I think it’s someone else’s phone. I’m going to rewatch to be sure though.

I hope we haven’t seen everything. I really like some details of the game and it looks charming. But little to no new content wouldn’t justify that massive purchase that’s a Switch + a new game.

I'd love to purchase this game- but GameFreak needs to provide more incentive to me for it to happen.

Not to mention you lose out on that joy of your first partner evolving. It’s not as special when it’s another one of the same species, Becaise they won’t ride Lapras with you.

Thank you for capturing my exact sentiment when people say "You can just trade to get another Raichu!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom