• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how evolving will work? If there's no online functions then would Pokemon like Haunter and Graveler evolve differently or would their full evolutions be roaming around somewhere?
Probably have to go old fashioned and trade with someone next to you. So if you don’t know anyone with a switch and the game....no gengar for you.

It removes the aspect of having to search for what you want to catch.

Well, if you ask me, that was always a little too tedious for my taste. If you wanted a common Pokémon like Pidgey, you’ve never really had to “search” for it because they appear so frequently anyway. Chances are you’d walk into the grass and see it after an encounter or two. So when you say “what you want to catch,” that ultimately ends up applying mostly to the rarer Pokémon... and I know I’ve wasted plenty of hours trying to find those fucking 5%ers and 1%ers with a decent Nature that I’m kinda perfectly okay with sacrificing the fleeting thrill of finding a cool 10% midcarder like Tauros in exchange for the removal of that frustration.

Come to think of it, the encountering setup in these games reminds me somewhat of the DexNav, which similarly let you circumvent the dullness of sifting through Zigzagoon after Zigzagoon and just get to the fucking Ralts already. It’s true that there was a little more of a challenge involved with that, though, since you had to maintain the sneaking pace as you approached the target.

I wonder how evolving will work? If there's no online functions then would Pokemon like Haunter and Graveler evolve differently or would their full evolutions be roaming around somewhere?

It’s been said by some like Serebii that “no online functions” was misreported. Plus, the April 1st leaker (who was right about literally everything they said aside from one thing that we simply aren’t able to confirm yet) said that there is an online hub.

Now that wild Pokemon can be seen beforehand, I hope that LGPE will have the same approach as Ranger. I hope that every wild Pokemon will have its own demeanor. In Ranger, annoying Pokemon like Wurmple try to approach you just because they're useless and annoying whereas coveted Pokemon like Gardevoir teleport away from you. I don't want to approach Abra as if it's a piece of cake.

So,uh...now this is a Let's Go and Gen 8 speculation thread?

Btw seems like the Ubisoft guy's first hint was about Pokémon Quest.Now we can 100% trust him going forward.

Encountering a pokemon is not the same as battling it. Like, come on.
I mean, it kind of is. Hence why there was a "fight" option. Meaning you encounter it, but you also choose whether or not to fight it. And even then you only fight to try to capture it or just gain exp, which we don't know how that'll work just yet.

Btw seems like the Ubisoft guy's first hint was about Pokémon Quest.Now we can 100% trust him going forward.
We can still speculate on rumors. Well maybe not until November when Let's Go comes out.

I think we should've a separate let's go speculation thread.

Well at least all the rumors(besides getting Yellow Remakes and starter Pikachu/Eevee and a bit other parts right) are pretty much gone (for now if people still care for rumors of this game how it is lol). Overall I'm gonna be quite honest I'm not hype for the games in the slightest I MIGHT get 1 of the versions if I'm still up to it. But hey I got Smash Switch, Fire Emblem Switch, Octopath Traveler and Valkyria Chronicles 4 this year to definitely look foward too!

I mean, it kind of is. Hence why there was a "fight" option. Meaning you encounter it, but you also choose whether or not to fight it. And even then you only fight to try to capture it or just gain exp, which we don't know how that'll work just yet.
exactly. the only time you fought monster is to get levels and even then the trainers where more optimal.
And if you where not grinding a specific pokemon you where trying to catch it so the solution to give a alternate level process while streamlining the catching makes totally sense.

As to the lack of wild battles... personally I could go either way. It’s not like they were a broken system or anything; they were fine. They’d be fine here. But at the same time, I also think it’s nice to have no worries about accidentally knocking out the thing you want to catch, especially if it’s a Shiny. And, it’s not as if having to chip away 50% of the target’s HP before throwing a Ball (assuming you even bothered with that and didn’t just come to a point where’d you’d simply throw Quick Balls at everything - I know I did) or so was the most intricate thing in the world. It was just kind of a basic formality.

I'm honestly livid. Had they announced from the get-go that they were going to release this first, reactions wouldn't have been so divisive. I know these are sort of spin-offs and meant to reel the casual fans in but... Are people who play casually for free really going to spend 70€ on a glorified GO version? What a step back... I mean, why does GameFreak keep ignoring the established fanbase? They're always pandering to the wrong people instead of moving forward/focusing on consistent players. I'm sure as hell not going to spend 350€ on a Switch right now. Gah, I'm just really sick of Kanto, I really am. It's a boring region, it has no mythology, the plot of RBY/FRLG is really weak... I was so happy with BW > XY > S/M as I felt that they were really trying to tell more complex stories and well-rounded characters. I know it's really early to judge but I'm not happy at all.

Let’s just agree to disagree.

To me, battling is the best part of this franchise. I don’t like removing it as an option for wild encounters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do prefer fighting wild Pokèmon then straight up cathing them, but my main problem is how the training will work. It is personal, but I love training Pokèmon and evolving them, regardless if it's wild battle or trainers.

If the new training system is on the same level of GO, or similar, without actually training them ourselves, I don't think I'd like it as much as the previous system.

The fact that you can see the Pokèmon in the world isn't a problem for me, although I wonder how the rare Pokèmon would appear. Will we just have to look around the place they're supposed to be to find them? Or will they appear at random, like appearing from air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom