• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All he said is it's been in development since before the Switch released,as such it will not be as influenced by Go.(and that it's been in development simultaneously with Let's Go)
This is just speculating but,what does it being in development before the Switch released have to do with being influenced by Go?Go came out 10 months before the Switch.Imo this implies that it was already in a certain stage of development when Go released.

You have a point, but I'm concerned about Let's Go versions of games that are as "seemingly" stripped down as LGPE. Like hey here's your Sinnoh remakes but you can't actually battle pokemon outside of trainer battles, or use the latest features from the generations since then (z moves, mega stones, pokeride, customization, etc.). I just think it's a bad look for remakes, but I suppose it depends on what LGPE really is.

I don't know if I'd describe LGPE as "stripped down".

The current theory I've seen elsewhere that I think might be the case is that Nintendo wants to "split" the core series into two lines; the 'Let's Go!' line with Go-style overworld models for wild Pokemon and capturing of wild Pokemon, little to no emphasis on competitive battling with no online multiplayer and a battle system with higher emphasis on casual "fun"...
And the more traditional core-series line, which may now have more emphasis on competitive metagame, and offer a more challenging main story.

A lot of players might prefer one of these lines over the other, but, assuming the line continues beyond LGPE, I don't think I'd describe the Let's Go! line as a "stripped down" version of Red/Blue/Yellow any more than I'd describe the traditional-core-line as a "more sophisticated and complex" iteration of the Let's Go line.
I think they're just two different approaches, but that's just me tho...

Well they said before the switch was even released, so it‘s pretty much a given they started production with devkits given out(2015).
Well the switch launched in march 2017, I'd assume they started just before sun and moon launched in 2016 like they always do

Maybe later, they will have other Pokémon available via DLC. That way, those who want the new ones can get them, while the Gen I purists can stay with the first 151.

Well sure, that’s possible, but it’s still speculation, not something Masuda said.
Yes didn‘t mean to imply it as a fact, i think 2015 they experimented and played with devkits, also as gamefreak is surely one of the companies getting the devkits first. After a couple of months with experimenting and then planning the concepts, they began developing I think. At least it‘s seems pretty plausible to me. If that were to be true, the games will have been in production for 4 years next year.

Maybe later, they will have other Pokémon available via DLC. That way, those who want the new ones can get them, while the Gen I purists can stay with the first 151.

I said it before, but I think it depends on their plans for LGPE. If this is a start of a parallel series of games, and they’ll make more games in Johto, Hoenn, etc., I’m not sure they’d had Gen 2-3/etc in LGPE.

so going from the game informer interviews we know:

-gamefreak is aware of insanely high fan expectations and will do their best to meet them
-despite this they feel true open world design doesn't fit the series
-the games will continue in the more story focused, cinematic direction that gamefreak's been pushing towards

and then unconfirmed speculation:
- Masuda/Ohmori's trip to those cave paintings w/ researcher dude will be relevant to these games (which personally, idk but this makes me think more of like. . mythology, dragons, etc which I will gladly take over the futuristic alien alt universe sci fi stuff from gen 7

The thing that confuses me is the development. If these are the games "announced" at e3 last year, why did they say "2018 or later"? Were LGPE conceived shortly after that soft announcement when they realized they couldn't get the gen 8 game out in 2018? If the 2019 game has been in dev since SM dev finished, then I assume Ohmori and the SM staff moved to this game, leaving the younger staff to work on USUM, but then who worked on LGPE with Masuda? Unless you consider USUM and LGPE probably didn't need that much staff working on it

Last edited:
Well the reason why there are only 151 pokemon is clearly to not have to model all pokemon and wrap up Let’s go Games so they can focus completely on 2019 Games. Within next year, they will have probably completed all models, but to put them all up as DLC would be much work again, as they also would have to implement the pokemons in to the game, with setting the routes etc. It would also be a pretty pretty big update/DLC with a big size, so causing problems with space for people without sd cards, and them downloading could take a lot of time. So it seems unlikely to me. Also as these games are trying to recapture the first games, it seems also more plausible to them to include only 151 pokemon.

Oh also i think this conversation belongs to the other thread.

I wonder when they'll announce gen 8. Maybe sometime this year with a teaser? Or maybe sometime after Let's Go?
As these games have been in development simultaneously with Let‘s Go games, like someone here guessed before, I too think a february reveal seems likely.
Probably them just announcing titles/logos and then at a later date showing first gameplay footage, maybe with a direct or just dropping the trailers on youtube.

Edit: Probably a dirct with other pokemon games coming out 2019, as Serebii wrote:“Nintendo have also revealed that more core series games are coming. These games are due for release in 2019 on the Nintendo Switch are currently without names but the promise of their existence is the only thing known.“ So i think a Mystery Dungeon or something like that game, well i hope for a Pokemon Ranger, would be great on switch.

Phew, it took a while to catch up to the thread!

I’m delighted that Let’s Go will possibly launch a parallel series to the main Pokemon series. Hopefully, it means that Game Freak can now appeal to a broader audience without having to casualise the main Pokemon series, allowing them to bring back the higher difficulties, less hand-holding, richer post-game content and maybe longer or more complex plot. Note that I said plot, not story. Some Pokemon stories have been pretty deep and complex, but the way they were presented in the plot; not so much (see: XY).

Forgive me for using terms like “casualising” or separating these games into “casual” and “competitive” but that is the easiest way to describe them. I’m actually more of a casual player myself as I don’t do competitive battling, but I do care about the story of the game and I would prefer to have the option for more challenging battles against the AI.

I’m certainly excited for Gen VIII in 2019. This is great news for me because my PC broke recently and I had to spend money to repair it as most of my work is done on PC. This means I can’t buy Switch this year, but hopefully I will have the money next year for the new generation. Who knows, we might even get a price drop or a dockless Switch release in the meantime.

With that said, I hope the 2019 game has more PC boxes available. I prefer to have my entire Pokemon collection in the game but it’s impossible for me to have it in USUM. I had to leave most of it in the PokeBank which makes me feel like I deposited my Pokemon there to be forgotten. I want my Pokemon to have fun in the PokePelago!

Lastly, I still hope we will get a region based on Greece some day...

I just hope they are done with Kanto now, I don‘t wanna see any special Kanto treatment in 2019 Games, even if it were small things like a Kanto Starter Gift. No thanks, i had enough with Kanto, i‘ll probably still have fun with Let‘s go Games, but actually am already sick at this point of Kanto and don‘t want anything post these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom