• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I heard it was pretty much confirmed that the next games would be called “Let’s go Pikachu/Eevee”, I immediately thought that they weren’t actually the Switch game revealed at E3, because those names sounded more to me like some badly-Japanese-translated iphone game than a real core series pair of version names. That and the fact that the Sun & Moon anime series would be cut short if Gen 8 was coming out in 2018 like many of the rumors suggested.

Turns out I was right, which is good, because I’m honestly not excited for these games at all. It’s pretty clear that they’re being made specifically to tide us fans over to 2019 and appeal to the Pokémon Go players. Which isn’t a bad idea from a business standpoint, in all honesty, but I feel like the execution could’ve been so much better. Throw in a National Dex postgame, keep the online features as they are, and add in some really cool new creative feature like a Gym builder (now that would be awesome!) and maybe I and some of the other fans on this board who really don’t want to go back to Kanto might be more inclined to give LGPE a chance.

And the worst thing is, now we really can’t expect SInnoh remakes until Christmas 2020. :cry:

Technically they did erase Pokemon. They erased everything except the original 151.
I would be ok with it since i guess it is kanto after all. But no cross gen evos? That makes no sense. It is like the erased pokemon from existing

I would be ok with it since i guess it is kanto after all. But no cross gen evos? That makes no sense. It is like the erased pokemon from existing
Yes. They took all of the crossgen evos out. I'm expecting the 2019 game to only have the new Pokemon and the original 151.

Back to gen 8 speculation, though a similar vein of topic, who thinks we will get the gen 6 approach with small amount of new pokemon but large national dex and who thinks we will get the gen 5 approach with large amount of new pokemon but little to no national dex. Personally I'd like a mix. It is a console game. Go big or go home gamefreak. Bring the pojemon number to 1000, so a little less than 200 new monsters, plus make national dex ~500-600 total

I think we shouldnt define LGPE as a casual oriented game before we have more concluding info. Yes, it seems likely that they are streamlining some aspects like catching Pokemon, and EVs/ IVs to make them more acessible for Go players (casuals). But we shouldnt take this as a sign that they will streamline all other core aspects of Pokemon games as well.

Yes, it looks likely that things like Natures, Abilities and Level Up may be streamlined/removed, but it is not a fact yet. For all we know, all those core aspects may remain unchanged, which would really make this game close in nature to your typical core series Pokemon release. That is my personal hope. That aside from those few Go- oriented mechanical changes, all other mechanic will remain unchanged.

For me, the battle mechanics is the heart of this franchise. For now, only catching Pokemon has been confirmed to be casualized, we have no info about battle mechanics being streamlined yet. If they later confirm battle mechanics are streamlined too, then I will be the first one to bash this game. But for now, I think there is still some hope.

Last edited:
I think we shouldnt define LGPE as a casual oriented game before we have more info

They’ve literally said that it’s a core RPG for everyone and meant for a wider audience, which screams PR speak for 'casual' to me.

But removing the GTS is a step too far- even the so-called casuals wanted the feature in GO.

They’ve literally said that it’s a core RPG for everyone and meant for a wider audience, which screams PR speak for 'casual' to me.

But removing the GTS is a step too far- even the so-called casuals wanted the feature in GO.
This is how the official website defines LGPE:

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! bring the experience of a classic Pokémon RPG to Nintendo Switch with gameplay that is easily approachable for newcomers to the series, but is also deep enough to keep veteran Trainers on their toes.

Sure, this could be simple PR talk to make us hardcore fans buy this game. But what if this is true, and the the game is balanced for both casuals and long term fans?

I dont necessarily mean it in a negative way, it's just personally its the opposite direction I would like the series to go. I would have liked the first console pokemon by gamefreak to be a bit meatier like a console JRPG vs more simpler like a mobile game. I get the casual appeal of a simpler type of game, but its just not what I was looking forward too. Im sure I will still enjoy the game though
It’s all good.

Speaking of casuals, I myself dabble in phone games on occasion. The irony here is that I never actually play them outside the house.
Ever since I heard it was pretty much confirmed that the next games would be called “Let’s go Pikachu/Eevee”, I immediately thought that they weren’t actually the Switch game revealed at E3, because those names sounded more to me like some badly-Japanese-translated iphone game than a real core series pair of version names. That and the fact that the Sun & Moon anime series would be cut short if Gen 8 was coming out in 2018 like many of the rumors suggested.

Turns out I was right, which is good, because I’m honestly not excited for these games at all. It’s pretty clear that they’re being made specifically to tide us fans over to 2019 and appeal to the Pokémon Go players. Which isn’t a bad idea from a business standpoint, in all honesty, but I feel like the execution could’ve been so much better. Throw in a National Dex postgame, keep the online features as they are, and add in some really cool new creative feature like a Gym builder (now that would be awesome!) and maybe I and some of the other fans on this board who really don’t want to go back to Kanto might be more inclined to give LGPE a chance.

And the worst thing is, now we really can’t expect SInnoh remakes until Christmas 2020. :cry:
It’s kind of weird, honestly. They should have kept more features in so that casuals who really start to get into the game can go and get the regular pokemon games without being shocked by stuff that they have, such as the really freaking complex training system that really needs an overhaul and, of course, the gts.

Technically they did erase Pokemon. They erased everything except the original 151.

That’s not what anyone means when they talk about “erasing” Pokémon, though. What you’re describing actually isn’t anything new - there’s no main series game that makes every Pokémon available. LGPE are just an extreme manifestation of the usual practice.

The 2019 game isn’t going to be influenced by it, they said so themselves.

I wouldn’t mind seeing that statement. I don’t recall hearing it in the conference video, and I tend to get suspicious about any forward-looking claims that sound too hopeful and/or wishlist-y.

I woulder/hope if they will bring back chaining in some way similar to dexnav? Since you can see some pokemon in the overworld already. Would add back in some depth and challenge to catching for the "hardcore" players who are upset.

Yes. They took all of the crossgen evos out. I'm expecting the 2019 game to only have the new Pokemon and the original 151.
No.
Gamefreak officially stated that core games will come in two supplements for the future. Next year is the core series.
2020 will probably be Let's GO Gen2 and so on.

I wouldn’t mind seeing that statement. I don’t recall hearing it in the conference video, and I tend to get suspicious about any forward-looking claims that sound too hopeful and/or wishlist-y.
Well, they did say it wasn’t going to be influenced by Go(which itself influenced Let’s Go) in the press conference, and that coupled with the “in the style of XY and SM” comment, i took it to mean that the 2019 game won’t be influenced by Let’s Go.

Maybe i was reading between the lines though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom