• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, saying that any core series game in this franchise is going to flop is completely ridiculous because even BW and BW2 sold hella well and they're the least liked games in the whole franchise.

The games are easily going to sell over 5 million copies regardless, and IMO that's a successful game.

hqdefault.jpg

Is this a good indication of Gen VIII games coming out in September 2019 (image is from episode 29 of SM)?

Yeah there is that misconception that Gamefreak has 300 employers, its only 143, Gameformer in their interview mistranslated Japanese as per usual lol They seemed to mistranslate many things on that day like no online at all and then not needing a Nintendo subscription for online lol

It was too early to know when Gen VIII will get released back then.

I wouldn't be surprised if GF planned the release date of Gen VIII a year ago and I correctly predicted that there's no way that the lifespan of Gen VII would only last for 2 years back in the days when many believed that Gen VIII's release date would be late 2018.

I don't see it

Look at the numbers on the cut board (interesting detail: the image is from episode 29). SM episode 138 airs on September 2019 (it's an estimation).

Last edited:
Why would the anime team know when the games would release that early on? And then hide that detail in an other-wise unrelated scene?
I wouldn't be surprised if GF planned the release date of Gen VIII a year ago
If a project still has a year's worth of work to be done, then it's too soon to be deciding on release dates.

Why would the anime team know when the games would release that early on? And then hide that detail in an other-wise unrelated scene?

Because it's SM we're talking about.

If a project still has a year's worth of work to be done, then it's too soon to be deciding on release dates.

From Gen V onwards a generation's lifespan has been about 3 years (Unova has 140 episodes, Kalos 138 and it's very possible that SM will also have around 140 episodes). GF might have been focusing on a 3-year-plan since Gen V.

Edit: Oops, apparently BW counts 142 episodes and XY 140. So yeah, it would be very funny if SM were to have 138 episodes.

Last edited:
From Gen V onwards a generation's lifespan is about 3 years (Unova has 140 episodes, Kalos 138 and it's very possible that SM will also have around 140 episodes). GF might have been focusing on a 3-year-plan since Gen V.
And there are currently 80 aired/announced titles. So there's for sure enough time to air 60 more In the next year and lead right into the new anime. Like every year.

I imagine that the anime must have the episodes mapped out in advance based on estimates- both from previous series (~140 episodes) and from Game Freak's projected deadlines. Can't just make episodes up on the fly, after all, if you want a coherent story line. Plus if they fall short of the actual release date, they would probably just write up a filler arc to close the gap.

Because it's SM we're talking about.
The SM anime has been known to share details of upcoming games in otherwise-unrelated scenes before?
From Gen V onwards a generation's lifespan has been about 3 years
From an anime perspective only. Looking at the games:
  • Gen 5 started with BW in March 2011, and ended with BW2 in October 2012
  • Gen 6 started with XY in October 2013, and ended with ORAS in November 2014.
  • Gen 7 started with SuMo in November 2016, and ended with USUM in November 2017.
Even being generous and not counting a generation as over until the next generation starts, Gen 5 didn't last three years. You could argue that Gen 6 did, but then there's only one example of a generation lasting that long-that's nowhere near enough to call it a pattern.

And even if it was a pattern, the reality of game development has far more sway over scheduling a game's release than adhering to patterns. If a game has a year's worth of work to do, it makes no sense to decide "we're going to hint to fans that this is when our game will be ready".
(Unova has 140 episodes, Kalos 138 and it's very possible that SM will also have around 140 episodes) GF might have been focusing on a 3-year-plan since Gen V.
If the anime is so coordinated with the release of games, why did the BW anime end after the games XY were released, or the XY anime after the games SuMo were released? If Game Freak is focusing on a 3-year-plan, why didn't their games follow it?

And even if it was a pattern, the reality of game development has far more sway over scheduling a game's release than adhering to patterns. If a game has a year's worth of work to do, it makes no sense to decide "we're going to hint to fans that this is when our game will be ready".

If the anime is so coordinated with the release of games, why did the BW anime end after the games XY were released, or the XY anime after the games SuMo were released? If Game Freak is focusing on a 3-year-plan, why didn't their games follow it?
I don't think it's so much a hint as to when the games will be ready on the anime's part- though an estimate could be made off of it. More like a hint of how many episodes they had planned for that series. Which could be made based on Game Freak's projected goal for when the next games are to be released. That's a thing within business, you're supposed to set a projected time frame for when your project will be done. If a company falls behind on their schedule, they put in the overtime to catch up. The anime likely based their number on Game Freak's projected timeline and planned their episodes accordingly. If an emergency comes up and the games get delayed by a few weeks, they would know ahead of time and either plan a filler arc or go on a hiatus.

Also, uh...
Black and White games released September 18, 2010.
Best Wishes series ran from September 23, 2010 to September 26, 2013.
X/Y games released October 12, 2013.
X/Y anime ran from October 17, 2013 to October 27, 2016.
Sun and Moon games released November 18, 2016.
Sun and Moon anime started November 17, 2016.

I assume you were referring to the English air dates, which do run late- the anime isn't as coordinated with international releases as the games are, so they fall behind a couple months for the dub. Might help if they weren't going with a cheap studio for the dubbing, but I doubt 4kids would have been any faster- the only studio I've seen pull off same-day dub releases is Funimation with their SimulDub.

Which it actually looks like the anime wraps up a few weeks before the next games release- they give themselves a safe window.

Edit: Forgot why I came here in the first place- I just read an article mentioning that Niantic reports only 5 million daily users for Pokemon Go. Also 65 million monthly users, but that's quite a difference between "people who play Pokemon every day" and "people who pop in to play their free Pokemon game at least once a month." Maybe the target market for Let's Go isn't as strong as some people think?

Last edited:
Exactly @Oriden. I don't see that image as a confirmation but an indication. You get the point and summarised it very accurately, for which I thank you.

@TechSkylander1518 you wouldn't want to know how little of a damn the SM anime gives to itself. I don't know if you've ever watched it but it's as if that series acknowledges by itself that it's a very unrelevant series.

We don’t really need the anime to guess Gen 8’s release date. The last 3 games and now LGPE were/will be released in November.

It’s safe to say Gen 8 will be the same.

Last edited:
We don’t really need the anime to guess Gen 8’s release date. The last 3 games and now LGPE were/will be released in November.

It’s safe to say Gen 8 will be the same.
With the exception of Red and Green, it looks like nearly all Pokemon games were released between September and November. =D I'd place my bets on any time within those three months.

Because the anime needs to work on the episodes and need to plan it out. Most episodes are planned 8 - 6 months before release, meaning they got a heads-up about Dusk Lycanroc around February/March 2017, but possibly even before the SUMO games came out so they could plan for the Rockruff captured.

The entire year isn’t going to be spent on just coding- they need to lay out their marketing and promotion plans in advance too, and they need to have (at least) an approximate release date for that.

I don't think it's so much a hint as to when the games will be ready on the anime's part- though an estimate could be made off of it. More like a hint of how many episodes they had planned for that series. Which could be made based on Game Freak's projected goal for when the next games are to be released. That's a thing within business, you're supposed to set a projected time frame for when your project will be done. If a company falls behind on their schedule, they put in the overtime to catch up. The anime likely based their number on Game Freak's projected timeline and planned their episodes accordingly. If an emergency comes up and the games get delayed by a few weeks, they would know ahead of time and either plan a filler arc or go on a hiatus.

Also, uh...
Black and White games released September 18, 2010.
Best Wishes series ran from September 23, 2010 to September 26, 2013.
X/Y games released October 12, 2013.
X/Y anime ran from October 17, 2013 to October 27, 2016.
Sun and Moon games released November 18, 2016.
Sun and Moon anime started November 17, 2016.

I assume you were referring to the English air dates, which do run late- the anime isn't as coordinated with international releases as the games are, so they fall behind a couple months for the dub. Might help if they weren't going with a cheap studio for the dubbing, but I doubt 4kids would have been any faster- the only studio I've seen pull off same-day dub releases is Funimation with their SimulDub.

Which it actually looks like the anime wraps up a few weeks before the next games release- they give themselves a safe window.

Edit: Forgot why I came here in the first place- I just read an article mentioning that Niantic reports only 5 million daily users for Pokemon Go. Also 65 million monthly users, but that's quite a difference between "people who play Pokemon every day" and "people who pop in to play their free Pokemon game at least once a month." Maybe the target market for Let's Go isn't as strong as some people think?
Yeah. Pokemon GO is on the decline at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom