• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just like I said many, many pages ago. The downloads only give a rough estimate and not the exact estimate, that number doesn't mean anything other than how many times it was downloaded. That doesn't accurately state how many people downloaded Pokemon GO. Number of downloads =/= number of people.

Let's Go and the traditional games can't coexist. Eventually, one will have to replace the other. Due to promises of better sales, they would probably go with Let's Go.

Literally why would they say to themselves "let me make less money than I potentially can"? [2] And "promises of better sales" LOL.

We'll see when LGPE sells like hotcakes and the 2019 game flops.

Just because you want them to flop doesn't mean they will~ Y'all say the same for USUM and, lookie there, didn't flop, kinda like all Pokemon games~

So~

It's just like I said many, many pages ago. The downloads only give a rough estimate and not the exact estimate, that number doesn't mean anything other than how many times it was downloaded. That doesn't accurately state how many people downloaded Pokemon GO. Number of downloads =/= number of people.

Oh I know the downloads don't mean anything, but I only brought it up because it wasn't the number of downloads that I saw- it was the reported number of active players. Niantic reports 5 million active players a day, 65 million a month. That's how many people get on and play and haven't thrown away the app, which is a much better reflection of their userbase than the number of downloads.

Also kinda proves that they would need about 25% of their monthly users or over 300% of their daily users to buy Let's Go to make it come close to the sales total for X/Y and Sun/Moon. They can probably come close, but I really don't think the power of the Go userbase is going to blow sales out of the water given those figures.

Oh I know the downloads don't mean anything, but I only brought it up because it wasn't the number of downloads that I saw- it was the reported number of active players. Niantic reports 5 million active players a day, 65 million a month. That's how many people get on and play and haven't thrown away the app, which is a much better reflection of their userbase than the number of downloads.

Also kinda proves that they would need about 25% of their monthly users or over 300% of their daily users to buy Let's Go to make it come close to the sales total for X/Y and Sun/Moon. They can probably come close, but I really don't think the power of the Go userbase is going to blow sales out of the water given those figures.
To be fair that also dismisses the fact that so many people were initially interested in go. I think its not likely that even half of those people would go from a free to play game to a $360 console + game, but there may be more than just the active players interested in purchasing LGPE.

To be fair that also dismisses the fact that so many people were initially interested in go. I think its not likely that even half of those people would go from a free to play game to a $360 console + game, but there may be more than just the active players interested in purchasing LGPE.
Well, yeah, I imagine there's going to be more than just anyone who has played Go even wanting to play LGPE, but I'm just trying to point out that Go's userbase may contribute to sales, but I don't think its active users are likely to blow sales up to huge impressive numbers. Obviously a multi-factor calculation, but looking at it with rough figures, you've got 65 million people a month clearly interested in a Go-style game because- of course- they're playing Pokemon Go. About a quarter of those people would have to be interested enough in their free mobile app to upgrade to a $360 console and game.

If a quarter of those people aren't that interested in dropping that kind of money on Let's Go, then you could probably easily make that up with the number of people who don't play Go. But the point really is just that Go's active userbase may not prove to be as big of a sales presence as it looks.

This is just common sales knowledge. Products tend to sell better if they seek out new customers on top of their already existing customers, which is what LGPE is doing. The 2019 games will exclusively target the older, more experienced fans, at the detriment of the new players. Eventually, GF will see that Let's Go sells much more than the traditional Pokemon games, which will lead to Let's Go completely replacing the traditional main series.

Like I have already told you once, that makes no sense. Do you know what is actually common sales knowledge? Keeping BOTH main series lines, because both games are going to be selling millions each. It makes no difference how much more LGO sells over Pokémon 2019, because if Pokémon 2019 is still selling in the millions, which we all know it will, then Gamefreak have no reason to kill the traditional line off in favour of another main series line, as they'd still be killing off profits by doing so. Pokémon 2019 would have to see incredibly poorly in order for any kind of chance of it being killed off will occur, and even then, Gamefreak (or the Pokémon company in general) wouldn't kill it off right away.

At this point, you're kidding yourself if you believe that Pokémon 2019 is going to do so badly that they are going to kill off the entire traditional core series games, especially right away.

Let's Go and the traditional games can't coexist. Eventually, one will have to replace the other. Due to promises of better sales, they would probably go with Let's Go.

Again, incorrect. There is no reason why they can't co-exist. Saying something is impossible, when it isn't impossible, makes no sense. As for reasons why they can co-exist? Read above.

Last edited:
Like I have already told you once, that makes no sense. Do you know what is actually common sales knowledge? Keeping BOTH main series lines, because both games are going to be selling millions each. It makes no difference how much more LGO sells over Pokémon 2019, because if Pokémon 2019 is still selling in the millions, which we all know it will, then Gamefreak have no reason to kill the traditional line off in favour of another main series line, as they'd still be killing off profits by doing so. Pokémon 2019 would have to see incredibly poorly in order for any kind of chance of it being killed off will occur, and even then, Gamefreak (or the Pokémon company in general) wouldn't kill it off right away.

At this point, you're kidding yourself if you believe that Pokémon 2019 is going to do so badly that they are going to kill off the entire traditional core series games, especially right away.
And it's going to feature "many new Pokemon", so it's bound to sell very well. A new region on the Switch and the first entry into Gen 8 is going to sell very, very well. I'm so excited for the year from now me who is seeing all the Gen 8 leaks and real footage and features that are being showcased this time next year. Arceus, he's probably so happy.

And it's going to feature "many new Pokemon", so it's bound to sell very well. A new region on the Switch and the first entry into Gen 8 is going to sell very, very well. I'm so excited for the year from now me who is seeing all the Gen 8 leaks and real footage and features that are being showcased this time next year. Arceus, he's probably so happy.
I bet that it will flop because it won't reach a very big audience. GF clearly stated that this game is not meant to be an entry game. Making games just for your core audience is a very bad idea.

I bet that it will flop because it won't reach a very big audience. GF clearly stated that this game is not meant to be an entry game. Making games just for your core audience is a very bad idea.
Which is why they aren’t making games just for their core audience - they’re making LGPE and the 2019 games. And, chances are, LGPE, being intentionally more accessible than the 2019 games, will pick up a bunch of new fans who will then go out and buy the 2019 games. And as I said earlier (that you conveniently ignored), TPC would still make more money off of making two different series, the casual ones and the traditional ones, than they would off of making just one.

There's a ton of these people. A lot of people are playing Pokémon since childhood, and alienating them won't be a good idea because you can't just make up for it.

There's a ton of these people. A lot of people are playing Pokémon since childhood, and alienating them won't be a good idea because you can't just make up for it.
The core audience is a minority. The more casual players make up the majority of the fandom. You don't know about this because they don't post here. It's important to make games that appeal to a very large audience, which is what LGPE does. This is why LGPE will outsell the 2019 game. Whether this will lead to the death of the traditional games is anyone's guess, this will lead to GF making more games like LGPE.

The core audience is a minority. The more casual players make up the majority of the fandom. You don't know about this because they don't post here. It's important to make games that appeal to a very large audience, which is what LGPE does. This is why LGPE will outsell the 2019 game. Whether this will lead to the death of the traditional games is anyone's guess, this will lead to GF making more games like LGPE.
What reasons do casual players have not to play the 2019 games, if they’ve been playing all the other Pokémon games, even casually? If the traditional series has been doing well all up til now, why do you expect that to change? How much more complicated do you expect these games to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom