• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In seriousness. No fire/fighting and no bipedal fire type and I’ll be happy. And less humanoid starters. Gen 2 was the last gen without any humanoid starters. Gen V the last gen where there was at least one non humanoid.
Gen 2 had Typhlosion, which is almost constantly depicted as bipedal. And, personally, I'd say Decidueye isn't really all that humanoid-it stands on two legs, yeah, but so does every other bird-based Pokemon.

It literally wears a hoodie, has a bow and arrow with arms covered with wings.
I'm not saying that it doesn't have any human inspiration, just that it's not enough to call it humanoid. There's multiple other Pokemon that take traits from humans and apply them to birds-Oricorio is dressed is various clothing styles, Delibird carries a bag, Vullaby wears a diaper, and Skarmory has metal blades in its wings-and none of them are called humanoid for it.

And Decidueye's wings are wings, no arms underneath them.

250px-724Decidueye.png

Gen 2 had Typhlosion, which is almost constantly depicted as bipedal. And, personally, I'd say Decidueye isn't really all that humanoid-it stands on two legs, yeah, but so does every other bird-based Pokemon.
Bipedal =/= humanoid. Gen 2 was the last generation without any humanoid starters.

And I'd call Decidueye pretty humanoid... it wears a hood, its wings are treated more like a cape than actual wings, it uses its feathers as hands and it stands a lot straighter than any bird. Also them long legs- granted, owls do have long legs, but they don't normally show them from a resting position.

Oricorio is dressed is various clothing styles, Delibird carries a bag, Vullaby wears a diaper,
But the rest of the design doesn’t look human-like at all in those Pokémon.

Skarmory has metal blades in its wings-and none of them are called humanoid for it.
Because those metal plates don’t resemble any human body part?

And Decidueye's wings are wings, no arms underneath them.
They aren’t arms, but it uses its feathers like hands as @Oriden said.

If I were to point out the starter with the most non-humanoid features it'd be Primarina. It has a lot of sterotypical features of human females but it has no feet, and it’s hands/flippers and tail resemble those of seals and not humans.
All the fully evolved Alolan starters are humanoid to a degree.

Typhlosion isn’t humanoid, it has the same body proportions and structure of a honey badger.

Yeah, I'm tired of the 'humans in costumes' looking designs that all the (final stage) starters have been doing last few generations. Makes it really hard for me to like any of them, because it's not really my thing.

Really hoping we get at least one invertebrate starter next generation. Can be anything - octopus, snail, one of the many insects, crustacean and so on. They are probably deemed "not cute enough" though which is wrong :(

Really hoping we get at least one invertebrate starter next generation. Can be anything - octopus, snail, one of the many insects, crustacean and so on. They are probably deemed "not cute enough" though which is wrong :(
I think the cute aspect of Starters needs only remain for the first and maybe second forms, as there's no fully evolved starter I would personally deem to be cute, that being said check this out:
IMG_7132.JPG

I think the cute aspect of Starters needs only remain for the first and maybe second forms, as there's no fully evolved starter I would personally deem to be cute, that being said check this out:

Yeah, I was meaning the first stage. I've seen people say that they wouldn't be marketable enough (same with having a Bug-type starter), with Game Freak probably bearing in mind the starters get a lot of merchandise. But looking at Pokemon like Joltik or Inkay or Goomy they are adorable, so it can be done.

Yeah, I'm tired of the 'humans in costumes' looking designs that all the (final stage) starters have been doing last few generations. Makes it really hard for me to like any of them, because it's not really my thing.

I'm sure they could come up with a cute enough design... I know octopus and cuttlefish are often given cute depictions. Not sure how well they'd get around on land, though, and I think the trend with the water starters has been that they are at least capable of land travel. Don't want one of your starters unable to hog screen time, and we all saw what happened to Misty's poor goldeen. XP

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUNq2_VjRn4

Plenty of cute potential, though.

Would be nice to have a series of starters with no legs so fans can stop squabbling about how many legs starters are on in the final stage lol

A Fire/Something which is NOT Ground/Rock/Poison snake? Sign me up!

I Fire snake would be great but I find the present Poison, Ground and Rock suggestions for it kinda stereotypical and ‘plain’.
Give me a unique fire snake and I’ll be fine with no limbs!

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the whole humanoid starters issue? Only asking because I only see hate for them.
I don’t mind them, but I also want the equivalent of my starter going from a chihuahua to a cuddly Great Dane. Them being too humanoid takes from that.

Also on decidueye, they add feathers and arrange them to look like hands. Owls don’t have thumb feathers. And only burrowing owls have legs like that, and those don’t have feathers on their legs.

A flying-fish Pokemon would be really cool, real flying-fish already kind of looks and acts like a Pokemon. Its huge fins allow it to glide long distances after jumping out of the water, that sounds like a unique fish-like Pokemon to me.
I'm disappointed that we haven't gotten one yet. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom