• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda feel bad for them... but at the same time, it's obviously not our game, so it's really up to the casuals whether or not they're going to embrace this second series. And I hope they do? Because it would be good to see the franchise expand to more people.
Sorry, but I just can't stand for people still being so in the mindset of LGPE being for "casuals" and not "real Pokemon fans." Sure, I understand that the games may appear childish, that Pokemon GO-like mechanics being in the game simplifies things in a potentially unnecessary manner, but it nonetheless makes it a Pokemon experience, just like any other main series game we've had so far. Things keep changing in the video game series, but that shouldn't be a surprise since they always have. The games may not be what everybody wanted, but it's up to Game Freak to create games that express Pokemon for what it is, and LGPE is no less a case of such than Red & Green or X & Y.

So, with that, I have a question: those of you against LGPE, what do you play Pokemon for? Is your scope of enjoyment so limited as to have an experience (LGPE) completely ruined by the changes Game Freak have made? I just don't really understand why someone who is a fan of Pokemon can't find something to at least like about LGPE enough to play the game.

Note: I don't mean to convey a rude tone, in case that's what may be coming across. I'm just genuinely curious :X3:.

Sorry, but I just can't stand for people still being so in the mindset of LGPE being for "casuals" and not "real Pokemon fans." Sure, I understand that the games may appear childish, that Pokemon GO-like mechanics being in the game simplifies things in a potentially unnecessary manner, but it nonetheless makes it a Pokemon experience, just like any other main series game we've had so far. Things keep changing in the video game series, but that shouldn't be a surprise since they always have. The games may not be what everybody wanted, but it's up to Game Freak to create games that express Pokemon for what it is, and LGPE is no less a case of such than Red & Green or X & Y.

So, with that, I have a question: those of you against LGPE, what do you play Pokemon for? Is your scope of enjoyment so limited as to have an experience (LGPE) completely ruined by the changes Game Freak have made? I just don't really understand why someone who is a fan of Pokemon can't find something to at least like about LGPE enough to play the game.

Note: I don't mean to convey a rude tone, in case that's what may be coming across. I'm just genuinely curious :X3:.

I don't really consider it casuals vs. real pokemon fans- pokemon fans are just pokemon fans. The franchise is so diverse, I don't think it's fair to say that anyone that likes pokemon in any way isn't a real pokemon fan. XD It's more like "casuals" vs. "traditional players" and LGPE definitely wasn't for anyone who was wanting a traditional pokemon game.

Personally, I am extremely turned off by the bobblehead art style and the dumbed down gameplay. Game wants me to prove that I know what a water or grass-type is before I challenge Brock? Heck no, I'm out. On top of that, there's a time and place for Pokemon Go-style catching mechanics and for me, that place is in Pokemon Go, not a main series RPG. I like Pokemon Go, it's fun to play and I enjoy it, but the way I play Go isn't the way that I would want to play a regular pokemon adventure.

It also doesn't help that LGPE is pretty much Pokemon RBY combined with GO with 3D graphics. I've played Pokemon Red, I play Pokemon GO, I've played Pokemon in 3D, so... it just doesn't offer anything enticing enough to be worth the time or money. It has more going against it than it does going for it.

Last edited:
I don't really consider it casuals vs. real pokemon fans- pokemon fans are just pokemon fans. The franchise is so diverse, I don't think it's fair to say that anyone that likes pokemon in any way isn't a real pokemon fan. XD It's more like "casuals" vs. "traditional players" and LGPE definitely wasn't for anyone who was wanting a traditional pokemon game.

Personally, I am extremely turned off by the bobblehead art style and the dumbed down gameplay. Game wants me to prove that I know what a water or grass-type is before I challenge Brock? Heck no, I'm out. On top of that, there's a time and place for Pokemon Go-style catching mechanics and for me, that place is in Pokemon Go, not a main series RPG. I like Pokemon Go, it's fun to play and I enjoy it, but the way I play Go isn't the way that I would want to play a regular pokemon adventure.

It also doesn't help that LGPE is pretty much Pokemon RBY combined with GO with 3D graphics. I've played Pokemon Red, I play Pokemon GO, I've played Pokemon in 3D, so... it just doesn't offer anything enticing enough to be worth the time or money. It has more going against it than it does going for it.
Great opinions... but could you please answer the question I posed? (Again, not trying to be rude, but it's what I really want data on :X3:.)

It’s a very loaded question. I’m not sure I can honestly answer a question as to why I play certain Pokémon games. However, I feel like I can definitely tell you what I wouldn’t like in a Pokémon game. But that sort of defeats the purpose of the question, doesn’t it?

Note: I’m not super against LGPE, I just don’t see how it would really be worth MY money, personally. Nothing against anyone that is excited for it.

To start, I like Pokémon. As creatures. I love the designs, the inspirations, and the interactions in/with nature and each other. I like training and breeding my own teams for my own purposes. What does LPE offer? A small selection of the massive bounty of Pokémon in existence, and ones I’ve already used and become familiar with. I have no need for another Kanto team, assuming these Pokémon from this game can even be transferred elsewhere.

Next, I like music. Video games to me are an art, and that includes storytelling, visual art, music, etc. considering it’s a remake, it’ll just have Some fancy new remixes of music I’m already too familiar with. Again, I don’t need to buy this game for that. I could just look it up.

Finally, I like challenges. When I grew up with Pokémon, I never really partook in things like competitive play or the battle facilities. However, in gen 4, when I got a little older and understood the games more, I really got into the battle tower, and then the new frontier from the next two installments. The next gen gave a more difficult challenge in the fork of the subway, but it was only that. At least the main story had its challenging moments for me. But the games have been on the difficulty decline, and that saddens me. GF’s mentality toward things like the battle frontier is apparent, so I don’t expect anything remotely similar in LPE. That, coupled with the likely easy story, make me think it might not be a great game for me to play.

Again, all these points will have counter-arguments, but they are personal to me, so it’s not likely I’ll be convinced otherwise unless I see something I really do want before they come out. This might be he first main series (assuming that’s what it is, nobody can agree) game I’ve not purchased since I started buying my own games in gen 3.

Forgive my long post. But does that answer your question? I suppose I might not be the best representative of what you’re looking for since I’m not heavily against these games, just kinda thinking of passing for the above reasons. It’s not like I wouldn’t play it if I had it, I just don’t wanna pay for something unless I know it has points I’ll emjoy.

Great opinions... but could you please answer the question I posed? (Again, not trying to be rude, but it's what I really want data on :X3:.)

Ah... I felt I had but I guess not.

I guess if I really had to sum up why I play pokemon... it's for the adventure and the pokemon. But the reason I absolutely cannot enjoy LGPE is because it's the same adventure, it's fewer pokemon, and its main encounter mechanic is better suited to the mobile game it came from. I don't feel that my scope of enjoyment is limited- I like playing pokemon games, be it main series or some of the spin offs, but there are mechanics that I feel fit better in certain situations.

For me, I don't like the mixing of Pokemon GO mechanics into the main series because it just... doesn't belong there? I accept the simple mechanics in Pokemon GO because it is a simple phone game. It's perfectly designed to be able to play on the go, while you're out and about and maybe only have a couple minutes to do something at a pokestop or gym or just passing by somewhere with a nearby pokemon that you want to catch. It's simplistic gameplay that is perfect for where and when it's likely to be played- outside while you're half-focusing on it because you're walking around (and hopefully half-paying attention to where you're going so you don't hurt yourself) or you're running an errand, shopping, having lunch with a friend, etc... but what's fun to do for a few minutes isn't that fun to do in a more full-length, full-focus game.

Granted, I don't fully enjoy the turn-based battles of the main series games either, because I tend to get bored with it so I crawl slowly through my games in spurts of a few hours at a time (and being a completionist makes progress even slower)... but swapping that wild encounter mechanic out for one that is even less engaging is the opposite of what I would consider an improvement. I'm an active brain person, I like doing things that require more active thinking.

And again, I have Pokemon Red and FireRed, I have Pokemon GO, I have Pokemon Sun and Moon.
If I really wanted to play a pokemon game set in Kanto- I can play Pokemon Red or FireRed.
If I really want to play a pokemon game in 3D graphics- I can play Pokemon Sun or Moon.
If I want to go around just flinging balls at pokemon- I can play Pokemon GO.

I can satisfy these moods with several other games- so what does LGPE offer that would make it worth my time and money? It doesn't have interesting new mechanics, it's not a new adventure... the thrill of seeing pokemon in the overworld and having a pokemon follow you around can only last so long. I hope these features will be in Gen 8, but it's not enough to make me want to play LGPE.

And working entirely to its detriment is the situation at Pewter Gym- I don't appreciate having a game grip my hand and lead me around like a parent who doesn't trust their child to read and make their own decisions. The main series games already do enough ridiculous hand-holding for the sake of plot without completely crossing the line with the preschool task of proving that you know what a water or grass-type is before letting you proceed. It feels insulting, like having to prove that you know what a lemon is before you can buy fruit at the grocery store. To that I say no thank you- I can identify a lemon and I don't need to prove that to anyone, so just let me get my apples and leave.

Honestly, everything in LGPE was already done by other Pokemon games I played beforehand, which is why it doesn't make it very exciting to me, plus the simplification REALLY bothers me, I play Pokemon for challenge, for lore and most of all, training all of these amazing creatures that allow so much diversity in team making that no two trainers will have the same exact team. If the Pokedex is just limited to Pokemon we already seen a bunch of times taking the spotlight, the excitement is just not there anymore because it's taking away a lot of diversity that the games previously had.

Last edited:
If you must know, I've come to enjoy it for the pokemon alone. I just like raising these critters and seeing them grow. That being said, I DO expect things to evolve, so to speak. This is not the evolution I want to see. I want to see them expand the ideas of the last gen, to make pokemon into a more natural world. This is why I refuse this sort of thing. We went backwards. It is XY and ORAS. I refuse to accept that as an environment aesthetic, not even for nostalgia. I DO think overworld encounters and following pokemon are things to include. The wild pokemon battles thing, I'm on the fence about. It's been one of my criticisms of the franchise as a whole that you are forced to do things that go against the message of the games. Beating up wild pokemon to capture them is one of them. I can see the argument that most people would have on that, and I would agree with them on the matter that pokemon should challenge you or defend themselves. I see this as more a thing to ease the transition from Go and nothing more. They won't erase it from the games totally. However, I do feel as if there should be a way to befriend pokemon without fighting them. However, if such a thing were to exist, there would have to be a new mechanic associated to it where you appeal to the pokemon in question, otherwise they will fight. I suppose it's possible for pokemon to be friendly regardless, though. Not all of them, though. All complaints about difficulty are pointless to me, though.

I haven't ruled out LGPE, which I think is nothing more than a cash grab, and I will stand on that soapbox until the day I die. Nintendo promoted a Pokemon game being released "2018 or later", and well we got LGPE and further down the road, a new generation. I will wait for fan reviews and opinions before deciding if I want to play the game. I don't think that LGPE is aimed at "casuals", I think it's aimed at primarily the crowd who enjoy the traditional rpg experience and Pokemon Go. I also do not think the game is worth spending $120 for two different versions.

I have every other Pokemon game from Generation 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7, and I've had more than ten play throughs of each game from those generations, I am addicted to Pokemon. I am not a fan of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, not because I think they are bad games, they are just not my cup of tea. I have a Nintendo Switch that I never touch because I don't get he same experience that I get with my 3DS. I think it's a revolutionary device but I have yet to see a revolutionary game released on it - and LGPE is not that game.

Bottom line: LGPE is overpriced, offers nothing new, and really are not looking like a cup of tea I want to drink from. I'm already bored with Pokemon Go, but it's a free game.

Last edited:
I just hope LGPE won't be too easy. That's the only thing I ask for LGPE.
If it's not too easy, then I'd like to try, even when I don't like the cancellation of wild battles.

I play pokemon for collection and battling purposes. I'm warming up to LGPE, but as of now it still seems like a waste of money for me. I'm not the most hard core pokemon player, but I have played at least one game from every generation and a couple of spin-offs. I can find things to like about LGPE: higher fidelity graphics, 1 completely brand new pokemon, the ability to bring alolan form pokemon over, dressing up pokemon, being able to play handheld and tv, pokemon walking in the overworld, pokemon walking with you, nostalgia. Aside from that I was against going back to Kanto to begin with, as I'd much rather go to Sinnoh. Also, I play pokemon go and enjoy it for what it is: a free mobile game that allows you to buy extra items. I don't want those mechanics in a main series game. One of the worst gaming experiences in the world is to have a pokemon move out of the way or to bat away your last pokeball. I'm sure there is an argument to be made that this is closer to reality, but I hate it. I hate it in go, I'm sure I'll hate it in LGPE. At least in the mainseries games prior to this you have more than just a berry to help catch a pokemon: lower its health, use a status effect, a larger ball variety (quick, timer, dusk, master balls). I don't know. Maybe that's unfair, but that's what I think of. Also, it sucks that they cut out the other pokemon from different generations like even for transfers, it seems like they cut breeding and thus breeding exclusive movesets. It's a lot missing that helps out with what fans like myself are used to in the traditional series that makes this unappealing. That is all.

Thanks for the input everyone! From what I've read it seems that the main reasons why people portray LGPE in a negative light (justifiably in a subjective manner) are...

1. Difficulty being clearly (as of now) decreased.
2. There being little new creative material (only 1 new Pokemon, old region, etc.)

Kind of surprised there weren't more prominent points. From this, it seems that if a handful of new, creative, exclusive features are announced between now and launch, a lot more people will warm up to the games. Not much can be done about difficulty, since it's pretty subjective and unalterable.

So... thoughts?

[In case you're curious about why I play Pokemon, it's mainly just because I like the strategy behind using supereffective attacks, abilities, and training Pokemon with high base stats. The only other thing to add is just that I like Pokemon for what they are: magical creatures that can have designs I like (kawaii mainly :X3:), so I'm VERY easy to impress when it comes to Pokemon games. Just a little insight :LOL:.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom