• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never paid for a mythical distribution, and I've participated in all of them. The Pokeball Plus was something I was already going to get, so Mew being bundled with it is a major bonus for me.

Well- to the point of the paywall not being new, for most people I'd say that most of the past mythicals haven't had one due to event distributions. Yeah, the paywall may have existed for countries without these distributions, but I would sooner extend event distributions to those areas that didn't have them, rather than subject everyone to the same paywall.
I feel the same way. And as far as my country is concerned, they have started distributing some of the Gamestop events here since at least 2015, so its not so bad now. I guess Vertigo is a renamed Gamestop or is affiliated with them. The problem now is that those events are rarely advertised but that's the place's problem, not Game Freak's.

Hopefully they do something for other countries, too.

See- this is exactly what I thought UBs were going to be and why I'm disappointed that they weren't. By making them catchable, they just became more pokemon. It would have been a much more interesting change of pace to make them non-pokemon- because we've fought pokemon against pokemon for forever now.

And that’s fair enough, but on the other hand, describing the way that they are now as “just more Pokémon” is a little reductive, no? They’re at least some of the more uniquely-designed Pokémon that clearly had a lot of thought and creativity poured into their features and ecological behaviors.

"Long drive" is a location-dependent issue, and not one Game Freak has much control over. Lots of Game Stops are located near other businesses, so there's often to opportunity to stop by while getting groceries or eating out. I understand some people might be far away from a Game Stop, but I seriously doubt somebody needs to spend 50$ on gas to get there. And there's no way there are people who need to fly out to a Game Stop.

That said, one very likely would have needed to buy plane tickets for the Gen 3 events.

And the paywalls have been considerably decreased since their original appearance. In Gen 6, there were nine of the then-thirteen mythicals given through Nintendo Network, a method which didn't even cost gas money.

Just to play devil’s advocate for a moment - the Nintendo Network method does cost gas money unless you’re already paying ISP money. But I guess we have to draw the line somewhere.

And that’s fair enough, but on the other hand, describing the way that they are now as “just more Pokémon” is a little reductive, no? They’re at least some of the more uniquely-designed Pokémon that clearly had a lot of thought and creativity poured into their features and ecological behaviors.

Eeeh... uniquely-designed, sure, but I don't find the designs remotely appealing either, and many regular pokemon are unique and creatively designed, so aside from being aliens from another dimension, UBs aren't exactly special in that regard. Functionally, they're just more pokemon, and design-wise, they stand out about as much as any other legendary.

Also, just a thought, but because of the new Pokemon being exclusively available in LGPE and GO, which are Gen 7 games, Pokemon #808, to be revealed this year, is a Gen 7 Pokemon. The last Gen 7 Pokemon.

Also, just a thought, but because of the new Pokemon being exclusively available in LGPE and GO, which are Gen 7 games, Pokemon #808, to be revealed this year, is a Gen 7 Pokemon. The last Gen 7 Pokemon.
I think it's more likely the first Gen 8 pokemon. Gen 5 put Victini before the starters, so it's not unheard of.

Also I wouldn't count GO as Gen 7- it was released just before Sun and Moon and aside from the Alolan forms that were recently added, it doesn't have any Gen 7 pokemon in it yet.

Eeeh... uniquely-designed, sure, but I don't find the designs remotely appealing either, and many regular pokemon are unique and creatively designed

It’s not that regular Pokémon aren’t, but the UBs have an entirely different philosophy about them. Xurkitree, for example. It’s technically based on electrical cables, but rather than simply being an “electrical cable Pokémon” that would play the idea in a fairly straightfoward way (by staying clearly within the realm of resembling an artificial object, à la Klink or Magnemite or Klefki), it is instead designed to take the shape of organic lifeforms, by emulating a disproportionate humanoid form for battle, or a tree when at rest - which is an aspect of it that comes to a head when we arrive at its homeworld, and receive the punchline - the Electric-type Xurkitree comes from a power plant. And that kind of paradoxical juxtaposition of ideas is used with all of the UBs, but it’s not often seen in other, regular Pokémon. When I say “uniquely designed” here, I mean in terms of thinking outside the box - in terms of the designers really pushing themselves out of their comfort zones and trying out more original and unconventional ideas.

design-wise, they stand out about as much as any other legendary.

I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree there. I think Legendary Pokémon tend to have more of an elegance or regality to them that isn’t present at all in the UBs, and for the most part, they don’t go too far from the realm of “pocket monsters” - that is to say, mostly-organic cartoon creatures. Whereas the UBs pop from the excessive level of detail and contradiction put into them, and their steadfast refusal to straightforwardly render the animals they’re based on prevents them from emanating that “pocket monster” feel, which I think makes them stand out quite a bit more than Legendary Pokémon, which feel very much like a natural part of the Pokémon world. (Solgaleo and Lunala are an intriguing example, where I feel like they somehow manage to have an even footing in both of these philosophies.)

GO isn't gen 7 (Go is a side-game and doesn't go in any gen), just like LGPE are not gen 7, since they are hybrids and thus have too be placed in their own subsection.

GF saying they are Main Series is only for marketing purposes, since if they say LGPE are side-games, its less likely the hardcore fanbase will get them.

You know, what could be an interesting development would be if there was a type of non-pokemon- other than a non-pokemon threat like UBs could have been- but something like a tiny, symbiotic species, like... you send out your pokemon and it has a tiny companion that can power up its attacks and maybe unlock moves that it wouldn't have access to without that companion there. Like little beneficial pokefleas for your pokemon.

It’s going to be a Generation 7 Pokemon simply because it’s debut isn’t in a Generation 8 game.
But if LGPE isn't compatible with Gen 7 or use a Gen 7 engine, and the new pokemon can't be used in any Gen 7 game... does the debut not being in the official start of Gen 8 really matter? Essentially, as far as main series games go, the first time it would be available would be in Gen 8.

It's also comparable to Manaphy, which was available prior to the release of Gen 4 via Pokemon Ranger.

Last edited:
But if LGPE isn't compatible with Gen 7 or use a Gen 7 engine, and the new pokemon can't be used in any Gen 7 game... does the debut not being in the official start of Gen 8 really matter? Essentially, as far as main series games go, the first time it would be available would be in Gen 8.

It’s a question of if LGPE are considered to be Generation 7 or not. Personally, I (and Bulbapedia) class it as a (very revolutionary) Generation 7 game. It is definitely not Generation 8 (since it’s confirmed to have different and better graphics, atleast, and a new engine seems likely).

It's also comparable to Manaphy, which was available prior to the release of Gen 4 via Pokemon Ranger.
Pokemon Ranger was not a core series game though.

It’s a question of if LGPE are considered to be Generation 7 or not. Personally, I (and Bulbapedia) class it as a (very revolutionary) Generation 7 game. It is definitely not Generation 8 (since it’s confirmed to have different and better graphics, atleast, and a new engine seems likely).

Pokemon Ranger was not a core series game though.
I feel like LGPE falls somewhere between core series and spin-off... they say it's a core series game, but it's more like a secondary series than a real fit in the line up. And it still wouldn't be exactly Gen 7, given that it seems to be on a different engine from S/M and USUM as well. I'd only call it Gen 7 in the same sense that Pokemon Ranger was Gen 3- it's a separate series so it doesn't exactly count, but it does fall within the timeline.

Which would still make the new pokemon's main main series debut Gen 8.

I'd only call it Gen 7 in the same sense that Pokemon Ranger was Gen 3- it's a separate series so it doesn't exactly count, but it does fall within the timeline.

Which would still make the new pokemon's main main series debut Gen 8.

Was Pokémon ranger ever officially called main series? Genuinely curious.

I personally consider LGPE main games with the pattern-breaking raised to an extreme degree. They really do not seem like games that can be categorised into Generations 7 or 8.

The most likely option is that these games are special ones with no Generation classification.

Who cares if it’s a gen 7 or gen 8 Pokemon? This is unnecessarily splitting hairs over some meaningless fan classification.
I swear Game Freak is gonna troll us and put it in the 808 slot in the official natdex so the debate will remain whether it's the last mythical of Gen 7 or the first Victini of Gen 8.

Was Pokémon ranger ever officially called main series? Genuinely curious.

I personally consider LGPE main games with the pattern-breaking raised to an extreme degree. They really do not seem like games that can be categorised into Generations 7 or 8. It’s like a Generation of its own maybe?

I don't think Pokemon Ranger was ever called main series- it's 100% spin-off, but I believe it's considered a Gen 3 game? Because it released in Gen 3 and featured Gen 3 pokemon. But yet it introduced Manaphy ahead of Gen 4.

I see LGPE as its own thing- like a Series 2: Gen 1. But timeline-wise, I think it would just happen to fall into Gen 7 in the same way that Ranger falls into Gen 3, because it includes Alolan forms and came out ahead of Gen 8.

I'm wondering what will be the new mechanic in Gen 8, because I really don't expect Game Freak to stop introducing new mechanics in new generations. This isn't the Game Boy and DS era anymore. So since the new mechanic will be introduced, I'm predicting that one of the Sinnoh starters will be able to use it a game earlier than the other Sinnoh starters. My guess is Infernape, just like how Blaziken got a Mega Evolution in Pokemon X and Y, Infernape will be able to use whatever new mechanic introduced in Gen 8, being an event Chimchar at the start, then the event ending a few weeks later. This would give way to the Sinnoh remakes not only being traditional, but also them being in Gen 8.

I'm wondering what will be the new mechanic in Gen 8, because I really don't expect Game Freak to stop introducing new mechanics in new generations. This isn't the Game Boy and DS era anymore. So since the new mechanic will be introduced, I'm predicting that one of the Sinnoh starters will be able to use it a game earlier than the other Sinnoh starters. My guess is Infernape, just like how Blaziken got a Mega Evolution in Pokemon X and Y, Infernape will be able to use whatever new mechanic introduced in Gen 8, being an event Chimchar at the start, then the event ending a few weeks later. This would give way to the Sinnoh remakes not only being traditional, but also them being in Gen 8.
We don't know if Sinnoh remakes are coming out in Gen 8. We could just get a third version/sequel of Gen 8 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom