• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game might not even be Gen 8. GF may change things up yet again. You can never expect what they'll do anymore.

Not this again.

They’ve already said to expect lots of new Pokemon. What do you think this game might be besides gen 8? Another Kanto remake?
As shown with USUM and now LGPE, a new gen is not needed in order to introduce new Pokemon I'm thinking that a drastic change is coming to shake up the traditional generation formula, to the point where the term would have to be modified or scrapped entirely.

Last edited:
@RileyXY1 Could you be a bit more specific? I thought that Kanto sequels (with an entire roster of new Pokemon) were possible for the first Switch entries, but their choosing remakes instead just increases the demand for a new region. So I don't see where you're coming from.
Basically, I'm thinking that they would combine a new gen and a remake into one game, essentially, a new gen set in an old region.

Basically, I'm thinking that they would combine a new gen and a remake into one game, essentially, a new gen set in an old region.

If they had any interest in doing this, one would think they’d have done it with Kanto. Putting any other region in such a role right now just feels arbitrary. Alola is out of steam, and there’s nothing special or relevant about the others.

Besides, as SinnohEevee said, they’ve already described the 2019 games as being akin to XY and SM, which is suggestive of them introducing a new setting in conjunction with new Pokémon and features.

That Bell Cat was the biggest loss suffered in the history of Pokemon~

Yes, I'm obsessed with that thing.

I have this feeling it may have been repurposed into Skitty. No textual evidence and they're pretty different, but judging by how they cleaned up or changed some designs for future games, it wouldn't surprise me. Mainly I'm going off of Skitty's tail.

If they had any interest in doing this, one would think they’d have done it with Kanto. Putting any other region in such a role right now just feels arbitrary. Alola is out of steam, and there’s nothing special or relevant about the others.

Besides, as SinnohEevee said, they’ve already described the 2019 games as being akin to XY and SM, which is suggestive of them introducing a new setting in conjunction with new Pokémon and features.

that's an interesting thought. could they do both add to a region or have part of the old region at the beginning and then have a new med size region with it and new pokemon added to a past generation?

that's an interesting thought. could they do both add to a region or have part of the old region at the beginning and then have a new med size region with it and new pokemon added to a past generation?

In theory? Sure. But realistically speaking, why would they do that when they could instead just create a whole new region with its own identity? I think the old region would just end up diluting the new one in that scenario (unless it were Kanto, since Kanto is comparatively pretty small, immediately recognizable, and isn’t weighed down by too much of its own mythology - in other words, Kanto is very basic, which makes it much more applicable).

And of course there would be nothing stopping them from simply adding a new expanse of land to an existing region in, say, a remake, because that’s more-or-less just what B2W2 did.

In theory? Sure. But realistically speaking, why would they do that when they could instead just create a whole new region with its own identity? I think the old region would just end up diluting the new one in that scenario (unless it were Kanto, since Kanto is comparatively pretty small, immediately recognizable, and isn’t weighed down by too much of its own mythology - in other words, Kanto is very basic, which makes it much more applicable).

And of course there would be nothing stopping them from simply adding a new expanse of land to an existing region in, say, a remake, because that’s more-or-less just what B2W2 did.
I never played B2W2. Were the other areas of Unova present in BW accessible in the sequels? I know at a point that they're frozen over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom