• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really do need to take advantage of the technology and expand the game in technical depth. This is something that is obvious to them though.Considering they omitted 3D effects from gen 7 and knew that double battles lagged when the game shipped, they have to be aware of the consequences of squeezing a huge generation out on the 3DS.

The fact that they are putting a gen 8 pokemon into LGPE as a special pokemon lets you know they are ready to fire the cannons a little bit. LGPE and Smash bros will carry swtich into 2019. Come gen 8 release (likely around November of next year), the switch will be a different console.
Agreed, they can't keep making the games without a lot of content forever.

The Switch is capable of handling a lot so I'm expecting these games to be pretty big, content wise. Hell, they may even be able to squeeze in lots of new Pokemon this generation, as the first generation on a console. I'm betting we get around 120-140 new Pokemon.

Exactly, but that doesn't mean simply making the maps bigger makes the game more fun. Alola and Kalos had many places to explore and small sidequests to fullfill which made the region feel alive for me. That is real exploration. I think simply having to walk longer distances to get from one point to the next or being rewarded the same items every time is not. Honestly, I'm not against an increase in scale per se. However, if those large open areas or spread out towns have nothing interesting to offer, it will only hurt the experience and make the game tedious and boring to play. Especially a series like Pokémon has many more ways in which you can explore the games that have nothing to do with the size of the map. I'd like for GF to take advantage of as many of these ways of exploration as possible.

By the way, you're talking about LGPE as if you've already all it has to offer. So far only two trailers have been released, I think that's quite early to make such a judgement.
I disagree with what you said about Alola, Kalos and LGPE, but I wholeheartedly agree about the rest.

I especially like how you emphasize the fact that an Open World large scale Pokémon game wouldn't be a guarantee for a better game. Knowing Game Freak, what they will make, is the same games they do now, except you would need to walk a lot more steps from Point A to B, in the name of "muh real world scale". Everything will just look emptier, due to the bigger empty spaces between destinations; reaching a place will just take longer. Not my cup of tea!

Last edited:
I disagree with what you said about Alola, Kalos and LGPE, but I wholeheartedly agree about the rest.

I especially like how you emphasize the fact that an Open World large scale Pokémon game wouldn't be a guarantee for a better game. Knowing Game Freak, what they will make, is the same games they do now, except you would need to walk a lot more steps from Point A to B, in the name of "muh real world scale". Everything will just look emptier, due to the bigger empty spaces between destinations; reaching a place will just take longer. Not my cup of tea!
At the same time, though, with the ability to ride pokemon, a more open world Pokemon game would be somewhat warranted. Like LGPE did not look too comfortable for the player riding the Onix. I'm certainly not saying Breath of the Wild level of open, but if we're going to be able to ride and see pokemon in the overworld in upcoming games (which we may not, that may be exclusive to LGPE), then I think expanding the size of the world to make it less cramped would be a good way to go.

At the same time, though, with the ability to ride pokemon, a more open world Pokemon game would be somewhat warranted. Like LGPE did not look too comfortable for the player riding the Onix. I'm certainly not saying Breath of the Wild level of open, but if we're going to be able to ride and see pokemon in the overworld in upcoming games (which we may not, that may be exclusive to LGPE), then I think expanding the size of the world to make it less cramped would be a good way to go.
Tue, but then RIDING POKÉMON would become a necessity instead of an option. Walking on bare foot would be too tedious and slow with the bigger distances. Again, not an ideal outcome for those of us who prefer on - foot exploration.

But hey, luckily I am kind of a "classic player" now (I mostly care for my favourite old school Pokémon games, rather than newer ones), so I couldn't care less even if GF messes Gen VIII up.

Last edited:
Hell, they may even be able to squeeze in lots of new Pokemon this generation, as the first generation on a console. I'm betting we get around 120-140 new Pokemon.
They had more than enough room for additional Pokemon in the 3DS games; it was their choice to settle for less than 100. If they did add more than 100 this time, there would almost surely be no Megas or regional variants (or any other kind of forms).

Tue, but then RIDING POKÉMON would become a necessity instead of an option. Walking on bare foot would be too tedious and slow with the bigger distances. Again, not an ideal outcome for those of us who prefer on - foot exploration.

But hey, luckily I am a somewhat a classic player now (I only care for my favourite old school Pokémon games, rather than newer ones), so I couldn't care less even if GF mess up.
XD Sorry to your sore feets, then, but I'd love a game with room to ride my pokemon around. Riding Epona was always my favorite part of Zelda games (to the point that I'd waste probably an hour making no progress in the game just to ride my horse over jumps). If we could get that sort of experience in a pokemon game, I'd be delighted.

Heck, even Gen 1 gave you a bike to travel around faster. I don't think I've ever explored a pokemon game at the slowest pace possible- with the exception of riding Stoutland around in Sun and Moon, which is why I haven't gotten very far. >.> Gotta get all the items because I'm dumb, yep. I think I just need to talk myself out of sniffing every inch of every island at this point.

Exactly, but that doesn't mean simply making the maps bigger makes the game more fun. Alola and Kalos had many places to explore and small sidequests to fullfill which made the region feel alive for me. That is real exploration.

I think you and I have very different definitions of exploration. A small alcove on an otherwise linear hallway is not exploration. I'm thinking open fields, mazelike level design, and entire areas that are optional. Kalos and Alola are a far cry from that kind of game design.

I think simply having to walk longer distances to get from one point to the next or being rewarded the same items every time is not. Honestly, I'm not against an increase in scale per se. However, if those large open areas or spread out towns have nothing interesting to offer, it will only hurt the experience and make the game tedious and boring to play. Especially a series like Pokémon has many more ways in which you can explore the games that have nothing to do with the size of the map. I'd like for GF to take advantage of as many of these ways of exploration as possible.

Well yeah, that's part of it. Just making open fields isn't going to be enough, they actually have to fill it with content.

By the way, you're talking about LGPE as if you've already all it has to offer. So far only two trailers have been released, I think that's quite early to make such a judgement.

I mean, we've seen the entire map and it's barely changed, and we've seen in game screenshots that show the scale of the maps is pretty much the same. That's pretty damning for this game's sense of exploration.

When they mentioned that transitioning from the 3DS to the switch presented many challenges, you have to think this sort of thing is what they are talking about. One thing we know for sure is that Pokemon 2019 won't look like Pokemon Let's go, which means it won't look like any of the handheld games before it. They are not going to have the new gen meteor be comparable to the Pokemon go spin off in too many aspects.LGPE is better thought of as Wind Waker HD.

The weird thing about how the game has been presented to us is what is so disorienting about this situation. First they announce a pokemon switch game, then nothing for a year, then a leaked screenshot emerges, then game is revealed but not gen 8, then gen 8 revealed for 2019. Bizarre but whatever i guess that's how the party is going down. It's just they announced the core RPG first then slipped an entire game in between that while having shown us nothing lol.

I firmly believe these games have to be fully 3D (no justification for not allowing us to rotate the camera in a fully explorable world in 2019 on the Switch) so GF has plenty of time to tackle these issues. They are good ones and undoubtedly why the game is being released later next year.

?

Attachments

• 1532614471428.jpg
    1532614471428.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 82
Isn't that nameplay the same color as Eevee's? It might just be a special version of Eevee wearing an outfit or something. Also note how the bottom has the shape of a ribbon, doesn't seem too far fetched for that to be the case.
The color is a bit different if you look closely.

I think that pic belongs in the Lets Go section (Lol, some Poketubers are getting hyped for nothing, since it seems they cannot use common sense if they think its an Eeveelution)

Starter cannot evolve, which means Lets Go Eevee is pointless if its an Eeveelutions for Lets Go games, since everybody will ditch starter Eevee or they aren't even gonna buy Eevee, since they can have both Pikachu and the Eeveelution then.

Its also not a gen 8 mon, since it doesn't make sense too start gen 8 marketing 2 months before the Lets Go games are out.

The most likely is the female Eevee or an Eevee with a costume/asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom