• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kinda hard to determine what gen this game belongs too, especially considering this game will introduce a new Pokemon.

I don’t get why is this matter so complex. Is this Pokemon introduced in the Generation 8 games? No. It is introduced and playable in the games before them, so it’s a Generation 7 Pokemon (unless LGPE gets a new generation denoter like 0 or Generation 1-neo or something).

I don’t get why is this matter so complex. Is this Pokemon introduced in the Generation 8 games? No. It is introduced and playable in the games before them, so it’s a Generation 7 Pokemon (unless LGPE gets a new generation denoter like 0 or Generation 1-neo or something).

But its not compatible with Gen 7 (as far as we know) and we get an entirely new Pokemon that isn't playable in SUMO and USUM, meaning its not a gen 7 game either.

But its not compatible with Gen 7 (as far as we know) and we get an entirely new Pokemon that isn't playable in SUMO and USUM, meaning its not a gen 7 game either.
unless LGPE gets a new generation denoter like 0 or Generation 1-neo or something
It’s a completely different argument now.

I just feel the Pokemon isn’t Generation 8 because it’s first appearance in the main series is before Generation 8.

It's almost like this mystery Pokémon was made to throw a wrench into things. LGPE ticks just enough boxes of both traits to be confusing-it's a new engine with a new Pokemon on a new system, so it should be a new generation, but it's only one Pokemon in an old region on a game that's not directly compatible with "Gen 8". (unless we want to call LGPE Gen 8 and the next games Gen 9)

The funniest part IMO is that it's all about one Pokemon. We don't even need wiki categories for this-it could be the sole exception.

I think that before choosing what games or Pokemon fit or don't fit in Gen 8, Gen 8 has to, you know...EXIST.

Notably, a pokedex for gen 8 doesn't exist.

Right now this new mon has no dex number, and which ever generation it is branded one will determine the generation it belongs too. It probably wont receive a dex number in LGPE (as it won't get one here and then another one in the gen 8 games, it will get one that corresponds with the generation it originates from in concept, which obviously isn't Kanto).

It obviously doesn't belong to Alola. So yes, Kanto is fair game (just as Hoopa had more to do with Hoenn than Kalos) unless they explicitly reference the next region.

Kanto already has a pokedex. it's always regional then national, and they won't slip a pokemon in between 151 and 152... so even though it may get a pokedex entry they probably won't link it to an official numbering.

Hoopa wasn't waiting in limbo for a pokedex number so that doesn't really matter lol.

1. A regional Pokedex number is not the same as a National Pokedex one. It could get the former in LGPE and #808 later.
2. The National Pokedex number does not have to indicate the region it is most associated with.

I wouldn't call LGPE a main series game... it's more like a sub series, which puts it somewhere between main series and spin-off, with the same position as a spin-off in being able to tease a pokemon from a generation before the generation officially releases.

That said, I consider the mystery pokemon Gen 8 or possibly a between-generation anomaly- it's really too late to consider it Gen 7 when it can't be used in any of Gen 7's main series games.

1. A regional Pokedex number is not the same as a National Pokedex one. It could get the former in LGPE and #808 later.
2. The National Pokedex number does not have to indicate the region it is most associated with.

That's not the point i was making.

The one thing gamefreak is stringently consistent about, is pokedex numbers. This is why Bulbasaur has been 001 for the past 25 years. Never has a new pokemon borrowed a number from a foster generation and later obtained a proper one but that doesn't mean it's impossible i'm just saying it would be a strange ritual for Gamefreak to break. Needless to say, the new pokemon will be transferable to the gen 8 games and when that happens i'm sure it will adopt a pokedex number above 807 and not 152 or something.

National dex numbers are obtained and are then never, ever modified. This is the number that matters as the regional number will be something arbitrary.

I think that before choosing what games or Pokemon fit or don't fit in Gen 8, Gen 8 has to, you know...EXIST.
Gen 8 does exist. Every Pokemon that will appear in the 2019 games most likely already exists, just nothing has been revealed yet.

There are around 200-400 people in this world that know every thing we will know in November of next year, what the new mechanics are, what number the Pokedex will end in this time, even what every Pokemom looks like. We just don't yet.

Is there a chance that this will be like Ranger and we will end up discovering the region's name in LGPE's data? I know that in that case it was just the romanization of the region's name, but still.

Is there a chance that this will be like Ranger and we will end up discovering the region's name in LGPE's data? I know that in that case it was just the romanization of the region's name, but still.

While their at it maybe they can dig up the info for Ash-Gorochu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom