• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true -- open-world maps are often described as having a "thirty second rule", in the sense that the player should always be able to find something (within a geographic area of one square minute) to engage their interest.
This ideaology absolutely makes sense in the case of open-world, but is it something GameFreak is capable of achieving?

My heart says yes, but my head says no. GameFreak obviously sees their games as meant more for children, and they make things easier and easier with every generation, seeming to forget that these same kids playing Pokemon are also playing Skyrim and BotW, which has constant things to do in their open world.

They need to bridge the gap somehow, and maybe with Gen VIII being on the Switch, they can somewhat achieve this.

Gamefreak designs their games with a point A to Point B philosophy. Setup a character driven situation, introduced an objective (with intermediate objectives in between), introduce an explorable space to traverse mission start point to mission end point, reward said efforts with a story item.

This is basically been the formula since the inception. in order for them to really go nuts with OPENISH world gameplay mechanics, they first have to account for pokemon level difficulty (Pokemon and trainers scaling up in power depending on what's been completed and what order it was completed in), make sure that NPCs always have something of value to offer (not all of them, but a lot of them), and make sure the gamespace is linear yet branching in possible paths of exploration. If it's too loose, story impact falls off. but if it's to compact, exploration feels watered down.

Either that for we have a year to play a typical pokemon game with good graphics. Either one is fine with me, but i prefer they concoct something more potent in the lab.

This ideaology absolutely makes sense in the case of open-world, but is it something GameFreak is capable of achieving?

My heart says yes, but my head says no. GameFreak obviously sees their games as meant more for children, and they make things easier and easier with every generation, seeming to forget that these same kids playing Pokemon are also playing Skyrim and BotW, which has constant things to do in their open world.

They need to bridge the gap somehow, and maybe with Gen VIII being on the Switch, they can somewhat achieve this.

luckily gamefreak did state that gen 8 games will be more for the regular old time fans while lets go for the newer and more casual.
this gives me hope that they will stop the easiness and hand holding in the main games.

They have been designing their games to be accessible for children, but with Let's Go being a thing now, we might see them move away from the "for everyone" game design.... hopefully.

Were the Gen VII games that easy? Because those were the games that were actually challenging for me, or at least that's what happened in my only one Pokémon challenge. I could breeze through Gen I-IV easily, Gen V was problematic thanks to the fact that even Magikarp had Stone Edge, and Gen VI was extremely easy for me. In SuMo, using Blastoise against the Elite Four was time and resource consuming, specially against Hala for some reason, and in USUM I couldn't survive Necrozma without buying Revives and stalling it until all its PP ran out. It was not fun at all. And now that I'm doing a Butterfree-only run... *shudders*

Expecting Open World in gen 8 or gen 9 is basically impossible, since GF has already said not too expect it in the near future, since they believe its not gonna work with the Pokemon Concept they have in mind (Ergo: Going from one Gym/Trial too the next without having too explore the region too find the Pokemon rather than just walk in a patch off grass).

Were the Gen VII games that easy? Because those were the games that were actually challenging for me, or at least that's what happened in my only one Pokémon challenge. I could breeze through Gen I-IV easily, Gen V was problematic thanks to the fact that even Magikarp had Stone Edge, and Gen VI was extremely easy for me. In SuMo, using Blastoise against the Elite Four was time and resource consuming, specially against Hala for some reason, and in USUM I couldn't survive Necrozma without buying Revives and stalling it until all its PP ran out. It was not fun at all. And now that I'm doing a Butterfree-only run... *shudders*

I agree with you. I most certainly did not find my run of Sun to be what I'd call 'easy'. It may be easy to know where to go, but the actual battles were frustrating at times. In the entire game my team of Pokemon felt weaker than ever in previous games, they were knocked out much easier than previously, and their attacks did less damage. I've heard something about it having to do with opponents' Pokemon having EV/IV training on them or something. That I do not like, at all, because that stuff is for competitive people and I have no time, patience, or even will to mess with any of that.

If this is the direction GF is taking Pokemon down, they desperately need to create difficulty levels.

What's 'concretely known' about Gen 8?

Anyway while I get a summation, I was wondering if Pokemon might implement a version of the Breath of the Wild temperature endurance gauge (given that the developers mentioned Breath, along with Mario, gave them pause about challenging themselves).

My thinking is that there are several option areas that a player can tackle that contain some of the best Pokemon you could want in the game (for example a mountain slope that could give someone a strong ice-type line in the first quarter of the game: let's call this theoretical Pokemon Flurma, which evolves into a Weavile esc stat Normal/Ice type Glacamount, think Ice Mountain Lions. For a in game example, think the desert of route 111.) However upon entering the area the playable character starts depleting a meter that, if empty, would knock the character out with a consequence of some sort on top of regular blackout issues, perhaps including a time period until one can go back into the area in question. The meter would not pause during battles, perhaps being depleted each turn or encounter on top of a general depletion per step.

Going into these areas is meant to be a gamble to find the Pokemon you want before time runs out, with some in game items being able to influence how long you can handle these places. For example character customization options, or perhaps a useable item.

Last edited:
What's 'concretely known' about Gen 8?

Anyway while I get a summation, I was wondering if Pokemon might implement a version of the Breath of the Wild temperature endurance gauge (given that the developers mentioned Breath, along with Mario, gave them pause about challenging themselves).

My thinking is that there are several option areas that a player can tackle that contain some of the best Pokemon you could want in the game (for example a mountain slope that could give someone a strong ice-type line in the first quarter of the game: let's call this theoretical Pokemon Flurma, which evolves into a Weavile esc stat Normal/Ice type Glacamount, think Ice Mountain Lions. For a in game example, think the desert of route 111.) However upon entering the area the playable character starts depleting a meter that, if empty, would knock the character out with a consequence of some sort on top of regular blackout issues, perhaps including a time period until one can go back into the area in question. The meter would not pause during battles, perhaps being depleted each turn or encounter on top of a general depletion per step.

Going into these areas is meant to be a gamble to find the Pokemon you want before time runs out, with some in game items being able to influence how long you can handle these places. For example character customization options, or perhaps a useable item.
That.... sounds like a terrible nuisance rather than a feature that they would or should implement. BotW sure tried a lot of interesting things, but things like that really kinda turn me off from the gameplay and actually feel less realistic than they are trying to imply- if you dress appropriately, you're not going to die in just a few minutes in the snow, and if you're climbing a cliff, you're not going to let go in a couple seconds just because you're tired at twenty feet up. You're going to cling for dear life because the alternative is dropping yourself for a painful landing and possibly to your death.

Somebody posted this on /vp/ apparently it's Pokémon #808,it's going to be in Let's Go and it's name is Daimane.
Probably just a monster from something else silhouetted.No idea what the name could be.edit: Daimane is a place in Africa it seems.

Attachments

• 1533332272602.png
    1533332272602.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 73
Once this new pokemon is released, will it be from alola? If not, then will they reveal what region it's from? And if they do reveal what region it's from, will that be the region used in Gen 8?

Once this new pokemon is released, will it be from alola?
I don't think it's likely. Sure, Alolan forms appear in LGPE, but they've also had time to star in the Gen 7 games. Wouldn't another Alolan Pokemon be offered the same chance?
If not, then will they reveal what region it's from?
They might, but lots of Pokemon don't get specific geographical origins. Special Pokemon like legendaries often do, but they're typically really vague.

Somebody posted this on /vp/ apparently it's Pokémon #808,it's going to be in Let's Go and it's name is Daimane.
Probably just a monster from something else silhouetted.No idea what the name could be.edit: Daimane is a place in Africa it seems.

This reminds me of the Pikaclone 'leak' we had some time back.
upload_2018-8-4_12-7-50.jpeg

Last edited:
So... has it been confirmed as fake yet or is it still up in the air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom