• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel flamingo would work better as a water starter...
Yeah, but that's kind of the obvious route. I guess a flamingo wouldn't really be a great starter, but it would be cool to see one. I'd even make it fire/water, playing off it's natural habitat and a play on its coloration and name. But of course, since I just thought of it, GF would never do it.

As for a water starter, if they did another bird I imagine it would be something like a crane or something. Idk, I don't see them making starters anymore that don't really adhere to the color convention they've established. And a flmaingo would have to be mostly pink. I know, it's a dumb reason to rationalize that way, but that's how I see it .

But Echidna's are not.
Cyndaquil's Japanese name is literally taken from the word for porcupine, its category calls it a fire mouse, and its Chinese names outright call it a rodent. It has an undeniable connection to rodents, even if you want to argue that part of its design isn't. Wrestlers aren't on the zodiac, but nobody denies Incineroar has some design elements come from tigers. Pokemon designs take inspiration from multiple sources.

Last edited:
What about a firebird starter? Like no fighting type just becomes a bigger bird maybe even going into Fire/Fairy or Fire/Flying?

Fire for a flamingo seems fine to me. Flamingos are only pink because of their diet, otherwise they are grey. It would be easy to keep this in mind and design a flamingo as a Fire type that changes colour as it gets hotter. So have it start out pink then turn a fiery red as it heats up in battle or gets annoyed. Toucannon's beak already does something similar to this, I guess.

Another option to go with a colour changing Fire flamingo is theming it around illness, like having fever and burning up. Even going a bit crazy it could be Fire/Ice since often fever can come with chills. So its colour could be pale when using Ice moves and turns hot red when using Fire moves, because its body temperature is in flux. This might not be something done with a starter though.

On the topic of Fire bird starters, an ostrich would make for a nice one. Maybe a fast, offensive Fire/Ground type?

Yeah, but that's kind of the obvious route. I guess a flamingo wouldn't really be a great starter, but it would be cool to see one. I'd even make it fire/water, playing off it's natural habitat and a play on its coloration and name. But of course, since I just thought of it, GF would never do it.

As for a water starter, if they did another bird I imagine it would be something like a crane or something. Idk, I don't see them making starters anymore that don't really adhere to the color convention they've established. And a flmaingo would have to be mostly pink. I know, it's a dumb reason to rationalize that way, but that's how I see it .

what about it being found in hot springs and the like by volcanoes

Even though this thread seems vehemently against starters related to the zodiac I think a Fire/Fairy unicorn with levitate or a bunny would work really well.

To those who say we’ve already got rapidash: Ninetales and Delphox have similar inspirations but manage to be completely different.

I’ve always thought a water starter based on either an elephant or a lungfish would be sweet. Though I mainly think of that whenever I daydream about having a region based on an African country.

As for fire starters, a Rhino would be cool, plus for those who believe in the Chinese zodiac theory, Rhinos are distant relatives of horses. Lol. But what I would really want to see for a fire starter is an Uktena, which is a giant horned snake from Cherokee mythology. I could see it being Fire/Fairy.

And finally the grass starter. Idk, maybe a moose or a gigantopithicus would be cool.

Even though this thread seems vehemently against starters related to the zodiac I think a Fire/Fairy unicorn with levitate or a bunny would work really well.

To those who say we’ve already got rapidash: Ninetales and Delphox have similar inspirations but manage to be completely different.
If we're gonna get more fire horse design, I'd rather they add a mega evolution for rapidash than give us a second fire horse line.

Plus if we were going to get another unrelated horse pokemon line, I'd much rather see it be a different type from the other two. Like a water horse, preferably.

15 Kanto and Kanto related mons got trademarked again. Here's the list:
Arbok
Raichu
Persian
Machamp
Golem
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Weezing
Starmie
Jynx
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Flareon
Dragonite
Hitmontop
After looking through the list, it appears to be a lot of notable pokemon from Gen 1 tied to the plot or NPCs.
Arbok - Jessie
Raichu - Lt. Surge
Persian - Giovanni
Machamp - Bruno
Golem
Hitmonlee - Fighting Dojo
Hitmonchan - Fighting Dojo
Weezing - James
Starmie - Misty
Jynx - Lorelei
Vaporeon - Rival
Jolteon - Rival
Flareon - Rival
Dragonite - Lance
Hitmontop

But how would you give it more evolutions? A flamingo feels like a single stage pokemon, since there is nowhere you can really go with it.

My idea for a fakemon Flamingo starter was a base stage Water/Flying flamingo which evolves into a Water/Fighting bird with various aquatic bird inspirations (like Heron) which uses its long beak like a sword to battle.

After looking through the list, it appears to be a lot of notable pokemon from Gen 1 tied to the plot or NPCs.
Arbok - Jessie
Raichu - Lt. Surge
Persian - Giovanni
Machamp - Bruno
Golem
Hitmonlee - Fighting Dojo
Hitmonchan - Fighting Dojo
Weezing - James
Starmie - Misty
Jynx - Lorelei
Vaporeon - Rival
Jolteon - Rival
Flareon - Rival
Dragonite - Lance
Hitmontop
Hitmontop is just a weird assumption based on the "Hitmons" wording from lavandula's tweet. Golem would belong to Brock.

It's very possible that the source picked those Pokemon precisely because of their ties to NPCs. I can't stress enough that the trademarks are unconfirmed.

Hitmontop is just a weird assumption based on the "Hitmons" wording from lavandula's tweet. Golem would belong to Brock.

It's very possible that the source picked those Pokemon precisely because of their ties to NPCs. I can't stress enough that the trademarks are unconfirmed.
If it is a legit list, I am betting that it's just for promotional material. Pictures of notable NPCs with their most-associated pokemon and all.

Golem could also just be because it was apparently the only pokemon that couldn't be encountered without trading in Gen 1, so maybe it was given to an NPC somewhere to make it more visible.

Now we have a Chinese person (from Tieba) supporting the list, but also adding Mr. Mime to the roster.

Granted, if their reputation is limited to "connecting the 2013 trademark list to Mega Evolutions," then it isn't much at all. Many people discussed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom