• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Pokemon Switch will be like X/Y. Low on Pokémon but high on “innovation”. I think they are going to try and take full advantage of the Switch and it’s capabilities for the game (like X/Y and the 3DS). I’m going to say (based on patterns), we might get a smaller region (Spain? Italy? Maybe it will include Kalos to make it “bigger”) with a solid 83 New Pokemon.

Gen 9 I think, they will do something big and different along the lines of Gen 5. Maybe it will be in China (since the #9 is important in China). There will probably be a lot of Pokémon, maybe reaching 1000 Pokemon (at 83 New mons, Gen 8 will bring it to around 890. Gen 9 just needs 110 new Pokémon to reach 1000. I don’t think they will split it up anymore)
Eegh... I actually hope anything along the lines of Gen 5 doesn't go the "all new pokemon only" route again because that's the reason I didn't get those games.

I just hope it's not another X/Y. That's still the only game so far that has disappointed me. I mean, I talk a lot about Gen I, but a lot can be forgiven due to it being the first game (and the fact you can't update a GB game), but X/Y was the game that almost made me stop liking the games.

Eegh... I actually hope anything along the lines of Gen 5 doesn't go the "all new pokemon only" route again because that's the reason I didn't get those games.
Agreed (even though I enjoyed Gen 5 as a whole).

The closest Game Freak should get to that from now on is if we get a Jersey region with the BW Unova Dex + brand new Pokémon.

So, what do you guys think will be an appropriate amount of pokemon for Gen 8? Do you think we'll reach at least a hundred, or do you think we'll stay in the 70-80 new pokemon range?

80-100 is my guess. we've had 2 generations in a row with a small amount of new pokemon and its time for them to go all out again imo.
The fact that 80-100 is considered "all out" these days makes me irrationally depressed. But 80's a good number if they don't waste slots on legendaries/Ultra Beasts; Alola suffered from that, and it only left us with 63-some-odd Pokemon to work with, and way too many single stagers.

My ideal would be 70+ completely new, non-legendary Pokemon, 5~ legendaries, around 10 cross-gen evos and prevos, around 10+ regional variants, around 5+ megas. Have a little bit of everything while keeping the Pokemon count around 100.

I guess I should have asked this along with my last question, but do you guys prefer single stage pokemon or multiple stage pokemon?

How many single stage/multiple stage pokemon do you think we should have in Gen 8? I know some of ya'll said 80 new pokemon, and some said at least 100 new pokemon, but how many of those 80-100 do you want to be single stage, and how many of those do you want to be multiple stage?

apart from the ledgendary pokemon, i think either 10 or 15 standalone pokemon are to be enough
i also want more of the multiple choice evolutions
id like a baby pokemon of kangaskhan to be introduced, since she is clearly shown with something in her pouch

I believe the amazon leak pokemon game for switch that is a port of a 3ds game would be pokebank right?

I'm surprised no one haven't talked this yet: #SmashBrosUltimate O'clock (@CrocOclock) on Twitter
It could be an error or fake, but it still up on Amazon UK, I doubt it's a port of main series game, but it could be a port from Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Pokemin Rumble or it could be something else, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Wasn't a Pokémon Rumble game leaked some time ago? Like badwolf1234 said, one of those games is possibly Pokémon Bank, the other could be the Rumble game or (worst case scenario) Poké Transporter.

, but do you guys prefer single stage pokemon or multiple stage pokemon?
Personally, I much prefer multi-stage Pokemon. Not only do they get more mileage out of a design, but they're also easier to balance, because they have base stats that increase over stages, rather than being the same the whole time and having to hit the sweet spot between "weak when early on, but still strong enough to use later". (When they try to, at least-some just don't bother) There's tons of single-stage Pokemon that I love, but at the same time, I think I would prefer almost any of them to be part of a line rather than just a standalone. (Of course, some of them are better suited to receive prevos rather than evos)

I'm surprised no one haven't talked this yet: #SmashBrosUltimate O'clock (@CrocOclock) on Twitter
It could be an error or fake, but it still up on Amazon UK, I doubt it's a port of main series game, but it could be a port from Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Pokemin Rumble or it could be something else, what do you guys think?
I think your link might be messed up-it's just taking me to the guy's profile rather than a specific tweet.

Wasn't a Pokémon Rumble game leaked some time ago? Like badwolf1234 said, one of those games is possibly Pokémon Bank, the other could be the Rumble game or (worst case scenario) Poké Transporter.
I don't think that's the case, the trademark on amazon uk indicates its more than just an app, of course you can port a pokebank (which masuda have no clue when the pokebank be on switch, but it won't be at launch of let's go pikachu and eevee). Plus on trademark "Switch title 23" it mentions Wii U as well:

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/EdMarwood/status/1029466783131074561

so it should be a game, plus I don't an app system from 3ds, just games, when did do they port apps to another system.
Personally, I much prefer multi-stage Pokemon. Not only do they get more mileage out of a design, but they're also easier to balance, because they have base stats that increase over stages, rather than being the same the whole time and having to hit the sweet spot between "weak when early on, but still strong enough to use later". (When they try to, at least-some just don't bother) There's tons of single-stage Pokemon that I love, but at the same time, I think I would prefer almost any of them to be part of a line rather than just a standalone. (Of course, some of them are better suited to receive prevos rather than evos)

I think your link might be messed up-it's just taking me to the guy's profile rather than a specific tweet.
Just go to amazon UK, and type in "Switch title", you'll find two pokemon trademarks.

So, what do you guys think will be an appropriate amount of pokemon for Gen 8? Do you think we'll reach at least a hundred, or do you think we'll stay in the 70-80 new pokemon range?

I guess I should have asked this along with my last question, but do you guys prefer single stage pokemon or multiple stage pokemon?

How many single stage/multiple stage pokemon do you think we should have in Gen 8? I know some of ya'll said 80 new pokemon, and some said at least 100 new pokemon, but how many of those 80-100 do you want to be single stage, and how many of those do you want to be multiple stage?

Definitely around 80 new pokemon for Gen 8 with a good number of forms and new evolutions for past pokemon. Not really in any rush to get to 1000, and I'd love to see the regional variant concept continue throughout the series now. That and a few new megas would be nice.

As for whether single stage or multi-stage... definitely multi-stage. Single stagers can be okay but they tend to be less exciting than pokemon that can evolve. Even if I know what they're going to evolve to, I'm usually more excited if something can evolve than if it can't- just knowing that single stage pokemon is never gonna change, so it usually winds up cast aside for me in favor of something that needs training to evolve.

Speaking of...

The fact that 80-100 is considered "all out" these days makes me irrationally depressed. But 80's a good number if they don't waste slots on legendaries/Ultra Beasts; Alola suffered from that, and it only left us with 63-some-odd Pokemon to work with, and way too many single stagers.

My ideal would be 70+ completely new, non-legendary Pokemon, 5~ legendaries, around 10 cross-gen evos and prevos, around 10+ regional variants, around 5+ megas. Have a little bit of everything while keeping the Pokemon count around 100.

Legit, Alola suffered big time from too many legendaries/UBs (a whole quarter of the pokedex is an inappropriate number for legendaries and might as well be legendaries) and too many single stage pokemon filling up the rest of the list. The numbers you suggested would be an absolutely perfect balance.

I expect the Gen VIII game to be quite bland overall.

I think Game Freak are systematically "lowering the bar" on purpose.

Just compare USUM to the third versions we used to get before (Emerald and Platinum). USUM is a lot more content lacking. But then if we compare USUM to SM or XY we are like "man, finally some extra features".

And then this is one of the goals of LGPE imo: It is so easy, bland and content lacking that when the Gen VIII game is just your typical XY/SM tier of game, people will be relieved it is at least better than LGPE, rather than be disappointed it's not an all around great game.

This is what Ishihara meant in that interview about Gen VIII being a game more oriented towards their longer term fans. He meant it in contrast to new fans.

Last edited:
On the topic of single stage or multiple stage mons, compare the amount of single stage (regular) Pokemon in Alola to Unova and Kalos. Unova has nearly double the dex size of Alola, but both have 14 single stage (regular) Pokemon, while Kalos has the lowest new Pokemon to date and only has 5(!!) single stage (regular) Pokemon.

Alola:
Oricorio
Wishiwashi
Pyukumuku
Minior
Oranguru
Passimian
Mimikyu
Dhelmise
Togedemaru
Komala
Turtonator
Drampa
Comfey
Bruxish

Unova:
Audino
Sawk
Throh
Maractus
Sigilyph
Emolga
Alomomola
Heatmor
Durant
Druddigon
Bouffalant
Stunfisk
Cryogonal
Basculin

Kalos:
Furfrou
Hawlucha
Klefki
Carbink
Dedenne

Granted, some of the Alola ones have gimmicks like Oricorio, Wishiwashi and Minior. But I'd honestly like to see much less than 14 next generation, if they are planning on going with another lower dex count in the 80-ish area. I'm not averse to single stage mons and I think they're fine to have (my favourite Pokemon is Pyukumuku and that doesn't evolve!), but Alola just had too many, especially when the rest of them (Tapu, UBs bar Poipole line and Mythicals) are factored into as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom