• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for whether single stage or multi-stage... definitely multi-stage. Single stagers can be okay but they tend to be less exciting than pokemon that can evolve. Even if I know what they're going to evolve to, I'm usually more excited if something can evolve than if it can't- just knowing that single stage pokemon is never gonna change, so it usually winds up cast aside for me in favor of something that needs training to evolve.
So here comes a tricky question. What if a multi-stage pokemon has an final evolution you don't like design-wise? If you just evolve it to it's 2nd evolution, then it'll be kind of worthless. Sure, it's stronger than the first, but not by much, and it could be even stronger if you evolve it to it's final evolution.

Would you rather have a single-stage pokemon who's design you like/really like with stats that are pretty good, or would you still prefer the multi-stage pokemon?

I generally tend to like designs of Pokémon with evolution lines so @jonathan keller ‘s question is really nothing difficult for me. For the occasional Pokémon I like I can just put an everstone and use it for the main story (I mean, that’s an advantage of making the games ‘easier’).

I like to watch Pokémon grow as they travel with me, and visible evolution helps with it, along with new types, moves and designs.

I’d also prefer to see more focus on split evolutions since I like them as a concept- multiple choices for a Pokémon to evolve. Everyone utilises the same base Pokémon in different ways.

So here comes a tricky question. What if a multi-stage pokemon has an final evolution you don't like design-wise? If you just evolve it to it's 2nd evolution, then it'll be kind of worthless. Sure, it's stronger than the first, but not by much, and it could be even stronger if you evolve it to it's final evolution.

Would you rather have a single-stage pokemon who's design you like/really like with stats that are pretty good, or would you still prefer the multi-stage pokemon?

I don't do competitive, I'm perfectly fine with keeping my magbies as magbies and my smoochums as smoochums <3

One of my favourite challenges is beating the elite 4 with smoochum.

if I really dont like the pokemon i dont use it or i just use the other evolution. i am not a competitive player. plus you can hope for a branch evolution or regional variant of it that may be more to your liking. considering how many pokemon there are already and how we will just get more with time i dont think this concern of not liking a pokemon because of its last evolution will be much of an issue.
i do prefer multi evolution pokemon but i do like the singles and it gives future potential down the road. ... I just dont care for tons of singles in a new generation. it makes it seem empty to me or incomplete.

For the new gen i am hoping for 100 because I know that any Mega like things for example would be counted as new pokemon. However I too don't see the number getting large. 75-85 is my guess but i also dont know what to expect from 2019 games which are suppose to be geared towards long time players. i think this game anything could be possible esp since they have the switch on top of it.

hopefully Ultra Beasts never come back.

I think XY and SM have some of the best Pokemon, so I'm fine with ~80 again. Even though I don't really care about XY a whole lot, I do think that they brought with them one of the strongest groups despite having the fewest so far. I get that for many it can be disappointing from a collecting point of view to have less to collect, but I don't mind it based on the last two generations. But like I said in my earlier post, the one thing I want is for them to have more evolving lines and less single stage Pokemon than SM.

Also I want more early game stuff like Diggersby, Talonflame and Vikavolt, which don't just feel like another rehash made for the sake of keeping the tradition.

SerenaToAlola has a good point about focusing on the older stuff too. There's a lot of Pokemon these days, and giving the older ones some updates or attention is always appreciated (I want more regional variants, but stat boosts or ability changes are welcome). Maybe next generation will finally be Meganium, Vespiquen or Whiscash's turn...

Also I want more early game stuff like Diggersby, Talonflame and Vikavolt, which don't just feel like another rehash made for the sake of keeping the tradition.
Absolutely this. I don't see why we have to waste limited slots on bland, repetitive trash Pokemon that most people will either use for two Gyms and abandon, or outright never use. It just leaves us with crap Pokemon that likely won't be used again, because their role in the game will be filled by new shitmons in future games. They should definitely give us better early route mon, or at least give them unique typing to make them stand out. It was so disappointing to go from Kalos' Talonflame to Alola's Starcraptor.

I'd also like to see them go over a few of the older mon. Give us a Mega Unfezant with unique typing. Give us a regional variant Hoothoot & Noctowl. Bring back Furret and give it an evolution.

I'd also like to see them go over a few of the older mon. Give us a Mega Unfezant with unique typing. Give us a regional variant Hoothoot & Noctowl. Bring back Furret and give it an evolution.
Nah, give us a Mega Noctowl and regional Unfezant. :)

You mean Toucannon? Staraptor was Unova's regional bird, not Alola's.
Sinnoh's. And I was making a joke on the fact that Toucannon is kind of a crappier Staraptor. They both have great Attack, but Staraptor is fast enough to work well. Toucannon is slow as balls and has a crappy signature move.

I agree wholeheartedly. If Game Freak cab't come up with a new or creative spin on the common 'mons trope, then I'd rather have them reuse older Pokémon that already fill that role so the lesser amount of new Pokémon can be better filled with more interesting and maybe powerful roles.

SerenaToAlola has a good point about focusing on the older stuff too. There's a lot of Pokemon these days, and giving the older ones some updates or attention is always appreciated (I want more regional variants, but stat boosts or ability changes are welcome). Maybe next generation will finally be Meganium, Vespiquen or Whiscash's turn...

This is another thing Game Freak needs to consider. I'm still waiting for my Ice/Fairy Wailmer and Wailord regional variants based on Narwhals. Make it happen, Game Freak!

I'd like them to start adding more 3 stage lines again. I don't really know how to word it, but they just feel "complete" to me. I appreciate gamefreak making each individual pokemon really unique in gen 7, experimenting with gimmicks and form changes, etc, but watching a pokemon grow from it's first stage into a final (third) one over the course of the game is still one of my favorite things in the series. 7th gen barely had any 3 stage lines

1- I guess I'll have to get used to it. That's what happened with Emboar in my case, at first I didn't like, but in the end I accepted it. Unlike Digimon that has inconsistent evolution lines that can be fixed in future games (unless it's a main one), in Pokémon it will stay the same no matter what, so why should I be angry?
2- I like both, even though I don't care about competitive. If the Pokémon is interesting appearance or lore-wise, I will like it.

This is another thing Game Freak needs to consider. I'm still waiting for my Ice/Fairy Wailmer and Wailord regional variants based on Narwhals. Make it happen, Game Freak!

Those two pokemon are based off blue whales. Why not just give us a narwhal pokemon, instead of messing with the design of an already established pokemon? Besides, all of the regional variants kept their basic design in Alola, with the exception of exeggutor. And even then, they didn't even change exeggutor's design all that much...they just made him more stretched out.

I think it would be really cool to have a narwhal pokemon that has it's own design because we've never had one before.

Also, why make a narwhal part fairy type? Because they're supposed to be mystical creatures?

Last edited:
Absolutely this. I don't see why we have to waste limited slots on bland, repetitive trash Pokemon that most people will either use for two Gyms and abandon, or outright never use. It just leaves us with crap Pokemon that likely won't be used again, because their role in the game will be filled by new shitmons in future games. They should definitely give us better early route mon, or at least give them unique typing to make them stand out. It was so disappointing to go from Kalos' Talonflame to Alola's Starcraptor.

Just imagining how amazing a snow owl version of Noctowl would look makes me wish this happens in the next games. I really hope they stick with regional variants. There's almost no reason not to but Gamefreak don't run on logic.

That could also be for either LGPE or the 2019 game.

While you might have a point, it was tweeted by project Eevee, and since we know they are involved with Lets Go Eevee, its either for Lets Go or another Side-Game involving Lisia and Eevee. I feel like its for another side game, because the Lets Go Characters feel a little cartoonish and i didn't get that vibe from the Lisia tweet.

While you might have a point, it was tweeted by project Eevee, and since we know they are involved with Lets Go Eevee, its either for Lets Go or another Side-Game involving Lisia and Eevee. I feel like its for another side game, because the Lets Go Characters feel a little cartoonish and i didn't get that vibe from the Lisia tweet.
There's still a chance that it can be for the 2019 game. The graphics for that might be on the more realistic side similar to SM.

Just imagining how amazing a snow owl version of Noctowl would look makes me wish this happens in the next games.
That's actually what I imagined for Noctowl, an Ice/Psychic snowy owl. The biggest problem would be the fact that it's slow and frail on the physical side. But stats can be redistributed, it could get another stat boost, or they could leave it as a good early-game Pokemon.

Narwhales do exist. I think people want them part fairytype because thier horn reminds people of the fantasy unicorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom