• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here comes a tricky question. What if a multi-stage pokemon has an final evolution you don't like design-wise? If you just evolve it to it's 2nd evolution, then it'll be kind of worthless. Sure, it's stronger than the first, but not by much, and it could be even stronger if you evolve it to it's final evolution.

Would you rather have a single-stage pokemon who's design you like/really like with stats that are pretty good, or would you still prefer the multi-stage pokemon?
I think, all Pokémon, need time to “warm up to”. I remember thinking, what in the world did they do to Greninja? Back when it was leaked. It’s triangle head looked so odd. But after seeing some fan art and looking at it design wise, I think it’s really cool. When Hoopa Unbound leaked, I thought... “What in the world are they doing to Pokémon”? But then after seeing the movie, I started to like it’s design a bit more and now I think Hoopa is pretty cool.

I think, all Pokémon, need time to “warm up to”. I remember thinking, what in the world did they do to Greninja? Back when it was leaked. It’s triangle head looked so odd. But after seeing some fan art and looking at it design wise, I think it’s really cool. When Hoopa Unbound leaked, I thought... “What in the world are they doing to Pokémon”? But then after seeing the movie, I started to like it’s design a bit more and now I think Hoopa is pretty cool.
I'm inclined to agree here, especially since I've had that happen with plenty of Pokemon. I loved the beginning stages of things like Litten and Bounsweet. Hated their final evolutions. But, after using them on my team for so long, even after evolving I had to still like them. And so they eventually grew on me. It's basically the opposite of some other Pokemon. The first time I saw Serperior, I knew I had to train a snivy up to that level just to use that beauty .

However, some people just can/will not warm up to some Pokemon. I have a friend whose favorite Pokemon is Smoochum. But he will never evolve it because he absolutely detests Jynx (and frankly I don't blame him, I'm not a huge fan of her either). It's all just... Personal preference I guess .

The fact that 80-100 is considered "all out" these days makes me irrationally depressed. But 80's a good number if they don't waste slots on legendaries/Ultra Beasts; Alola suffered from that, and it only left us with 63-some-odd Pokemon to work with, and way too many single stagers.

My ideal would be 70+ completely new, non-legendary Pokemon, 5~ legendaries, around 10 cross-gen evos and prevos, around 10+ regional variants, around 5+ megas. Have a little bit of everything while keeping the Pokemon count around 100.
I also like the thought of having many different new designs for existing Pokémon, such as Megas, new forms, etc. However, I wouldn't write off Legendaries, including Ultra Beasts, so easily. Many Legendaries, like the Legendary Birds and Rayquaza are very well-loved, and the Ultra Beasts Xurkitree and Celesteela are among my favorite Pokémon from Generation 7. It might be a bit harsh to call them a waste just because you don't care for them yourself.

UBs?

I hate their guts. I hate the concept of Pokémon that don't look like Pokémon on purpose.

If UBs were actual non-Pokemon, non-catchable creatures you have to face during the story, I would have been ok with them.

Last edited:
I adore the UBs, but I agree with Karamazov that Pokémon at that echelon of power swallow up too much of the hypo100 rosters. Personally, I don’t mind if they want to release smaller waves of new Pokémon - in many ways, I’d prefer they stick to that practice - but if they’re going to do it, then I think the number of Legendary/UB-tier Pokémon should be kept to a minimum. XY had the right idea by having just the title trio and then three mythicals as its “Legendary bracket.” Meanwhile, you have the likes of Sinnoh and Alola, where a significant portion of the Pokédex is in that bracket. It just feels like they’re overdoing it a bit. Did Sinnoh really need Heatran or Regigigas when it didn’t end up doing much with them as Legendaries anyway? “Why the heck is Heatran considered a Legendary?” has been a question asked by fans for ages now. I guess Regigigas could have been intended as a bonus for people who Pal Park, but you’d think getting to play with their old Pokémon would be reward enough, and Regigigas is a shitty reward anyway, nor does it really do anything to build on the already-totally-fine lore of the Regi trio. Did Sinnoh really need Cresselia? Hypothetically, I think Darkrai could function just fine as a standalone concept, and in terms of how it factors into the game, Cresselia isn’t doing anything that isn’t already covered by Mesprit - two roaming mono-Psychic Levitaters? I’m not usually one to say “Why does this Pokémon even need to exist?”, but just looking at things on paper, Cresselia’s whole schtick of healing others and sacrificing itself would probably suit Mesprit just fine, since it’s the Emotion Pokémon, so you could play up the empathy aspect. And then of course you’ve got Manaphy and Phione, whose strange lack of any particular point is quite readily apparent.

I mean, I can let the number of UBs slide this time because they were a brand new concept and I think we needed to see a decent range of possibilities from that (and seven isn’t really that many when you think about it), but even with them aside, that puts the Alola roster (74 without UBs) on par with the Kalos roster (72 in total), and yet you’ve still got a whopping thirteen Pokémon in the “Legendary bracket” in comparison to Kalos’s six - the four tapu, Type: Null and Silvally, the mascot trio with the useless Cosmog and Cosmoem stapled on as well, and then Magearna and Marshadow as mythicals. Now sure, most of those can be justified within the context of the story (each island needs a guardian, Type: Null/Silvally is a significant element in the Aether family’s character arcs, and Cosmog/Cosmoem are the centerpiece of the big plot twist; Magearna and Marshadow don’t fit anywhere but mythicals these days are only created to serve as long-term promotional pieces anyway so you’re getting them one way or the other), and I think that might possibly be why Alola features a lot more single-stage Pokémon rather than evolution lines, as a way of compensating for this. But still, even though I’d say those are mostly fair excuses, it does make things feel rather bloated, and I definitely wouldn’t like for that to become the norm. I know not everybody does, but I myself tend to prefer “regular” Pokémon over Legendary-tier Pokémon. I almost never use Legendaries, which always appear very late into the game anyway, so I’d prefer to have a healthier variety of “regular” Pokémon since those are what I’m going to be using throughout most of the game.

(Pardon me while I stan for Unova yet again, but I’m willing to excuse its abundance of Legendary Pokémon for a number of reasons. For one thing, the Unova roster is the biggest we’ve ever gotten, so it doesn’t feel like the Legendaries are taking up as much space. For two, they follow the same trend of the Unova Starters by drawing inspiration from European, Chinese, and Japanese sources, which reinforces the sense that Unova is a cultural melting pot. It’s a neat aesthetic idea. And for three, they all tie into the thematics of the game - the title trio being extremely overt in this regard, but it’s still a factor with the Musketeers and the Kami, illustrating various interrelating aspects of the relationship between people/Pokémon, and society/nature. They do this while faithfully fulfilling a set of routine archetypes - the box mascot trio, the “lesser” trio, and then one that promotes trading through version exclusivity, so you’ve got exploration of the game’s themes woven healthily into typical game mechanics, unlike the disparate hodgepodge of Sinnoh Legendaries that exist for... some reason. Each of Unova’s trios feel like they have a decent amount of thought put into not just their character conception, but also their function within the game, which makes me more willing to engage with them.)

Last edited:
Are we all forgetting that Lisia tweet leak.
Nobody posted it here-it's not so much everyone forgetting as nobody else seeing it.
Its gonna be another side game early 2019 featuring Lisia.
This thread is still dedicated to speculating on Gen 8-even if that leak did confirm a sidegame (which, even if it was legit, according to your posts, it didn't specify the game it would be in), people don't have to stop talking about Gen 8 here. A thread for the sidegame could be made just like what occurred with LGPE.
it was tweeted by project Eevee,
Where is this tweet? I've gone back into July and haven't seen anything about Lisia.
and since we know they are involved with Lets Go Eevee, its either for Lets Go or another Side-Game involving Lisia and Eevee.
When was it confirmed that they were involved with the production? I know they've been established as a credible source, but I didn't hear anything about them being confirmed to work on the project. And even if they were, what's stopping them from learning about another project?

Nobody posted it here-it's not so much everyone forgetting as nobody else seeing it.

This thread is still dedicated to speculating on Gen 8-even if that leak did confirm a sidegame (which, even if it was legit, according to your posts, it didn't specify the game it would be in), people don't have to stop talking about Gen 8 here. A thread for the sidegame could be made just like what occurred with LGPE.

Where is this tweet? I've gone back into July and haven't seen anything about Lisia.

When was it confirmed that they were involved with the production? I know they've been established as a credible source, but I didn't hear anything about them being confirmed to work on the project. And even if they were, what's stopping them from learning about another project?

The tweet was actually posted here. It was posted 4 pages ago.

They are just probably testing the new software with a random character.
VRoid is a very new software, with the demo only released this year.
So they can't have 2019 games models based on VRoid.

More details in this video:

View: https://youtu.be/inyOO96X1xE

Last edited:
Lol it's a dumb small thing but can we stop calling Lisa by the wrong name? Lisia is that contest gal that's related to Wallace from ORAS .
Ah, that would explain why I couldn't find anything searching for it! (I was wondering why she'd get a game when contests are already main series...)
Thanks for that!

Still, it's very clearly not a leak. The tweet is about VRoid Studio, a character creating app. (I know there's been mistranslations in the past with Project Eevee, but this has VRoid Studio in the original tweet before translating) They're not leaking upcoming models or even hinting at a VR game, they're just making one of their own characters on a new character creating game. It's certainly not proof that Lisa is appearing in her own spinoff game.

When will that new pokemon be revealed? It takes ages and they dont have so much time left

VGC Worlds is coming up next week, so I guess they could show it (or something else) there. Every year since 2013 they've revealed something at the opening ceremony - when there's a main series game releasing the same year, the reveal is related to that.

2013 it was Mega Kangaskhan in XY; 2014 was Mega Slowbro in ORAS; 2015 there was no game that year so they revealed Pokken Tournament on the Wii U; 2016 it was Crabrawler in SM; and last year it was Kommo-o's Z-Move in USUM.

Obviously nothing is for certain, but probably the next date to keep an eye on.

So here comes a tricky question. What if a multi-stage pokemon has an final evolution you don't like design-wise? If you just evolve it to it's 2nd evolution, then it'll be kind of worthless. Sure, it's stronger than the first, but not by much, and it could be even stronger if you evolve it to it's final evolution.

Would you rather have a single-stage pokemon who's design you like/really like with stats that are pretty good, or would you still prefer the multi-stage pokemon?

Late to this discussion but- yeah, even multi-stage pokemon whose final evo I don't like are generally more interesting than single stage mons I do like, especially if the multi-stage pokemon has three stages. Because it's just kind of more fulfilling when you see a pokemon and go "Oh, what does it evolve into?" and get an answer, even a disappointing one, than to find that that answer is "nothing." You also get the choice whether you want to evolve something or keep it cute forever.

And for example- I like Herdier, but I don't care for Lillipup or Stoutland. I also love Magby and Magmar, but not Magmortar. When I played Sapphire, I didn't want to evolve my Treecko past Grovyle. If I had to pick a stage of Squirtle's line, it would be Wartortle. With a multi-stage line, there's just better odds that you're going to like one of those stages versus a single-stage pokemon where it either is an appealing design or it's not an appealing design.

For me, it's just more interesting to see what direction a design goes in. But I guess on the stat side of that- yeah a great single stage design with great stats is great too but... stats is another area where single stage pokemon go nowhere. At least the multi-stage pokemon can get better. Single stage pokemon seem to suffer from stagnation in both design and stats.

Hello guys im back! I've been away since Let's Go announcement, did I miss something important? XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom