• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the prospective players barely know what Mega Evolution is (it was majorly sidelined in Alola and isn't featured in Go). This marketing isn't weird even if it's boring to us, and random videos aren't supposed to show new stuff, anyway.

Why do the models of those mega evolutions look so "meh"? I think it's the texture/lighting. They look like plastic, or perhaps a more apt description would be they almost look like inflatable lawn decorations.
It's probably because of the artstyle. LGPE looks very cartoony, so the Pokémon models have to fit this aesthetic at the cost of looking a bit lifeless. Hopefully Gen VIII takes a more realistic direction, otherwise it'll look so weird compared to USM's models imo.

Maybe they are better off going for the trending crowd, since to appeal to any one part of the existing fandom is to turn away all the others. The Go players are the one sector that is the largest.

Maybe they are better off going for the trending crowd, since to appeal to any one part of the existing fandom is to turn away all the others. The Go players are the one sector that is the largest.

One of the reason Go players are Go players is because that game is free.
Most of them probably are not devoted enough to Pokémon to casually drop $360 ($410 if Pokeball plus is included) on it.

Then what's the next biggest section? Because we can only pick one of them. The competitive mongers? Count me out then.

I feel a balanced game would be the way to go without sacrificing features just to appease a particular demographic. Let's GO would’ve been perfectly fine with Abilities, and cross-evolutions (and maybe some fan favourites from other regions), new regional variants and forms with a more different Kanto and a different story.

That would be nostalgic enough for the casual fanbase while having value for longtime fans.

I don't think balance is possible. The competitive mongers don't want to have to deal with a game to meet their ends. The people who want story aren't all that concerned about that, but the structure of an RPG demands that things are uneven.

Either way, sacrificing features that worked for 20+ years would lose the most potential buyers, especially if those features happened to be the core of the franchise. Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild didn't get rid of their respective cores: Breath of the Wild just changed some items to be part of main weapons and there's still dungeon exploration in the form of Divine Beasts while Super Mario Odyssey didn't really get rid of Power-ups, it's just Cappy serves as the means to obtain the powers of others temporarily. Either way, getting rid of wild Pokemon battles was a bad idea in general.

Then what's the next biggest section? Because we can only pick one of them. The competitive mongers? Count me out then.
GF is picking both of them.
The new mainline series Let's GO is focused to casuals.
The mainline series coming next year is focused to core gamers.

The only alternative is to get the fandom itself to stop being single-minded. Otherwise, I do not know how a game can contain everything that everyone wants without contradicting itself.

The mainline series coming next year is focused to core gamers.
Define "core gamers".

So we can never have anything other than same gym leaders and E4/Champion we always had? I'm not the only one that wanted something different. If you insist that that is somehow too sacred to touch, though, it seems my choice is clear.

So we can never have anything other than same gym leaders and E4/Champion we always had? I'm not the only one that wanted something different. If you insist that that is somehow too sacred to touch, though, it seems my choice is clear.
SM showed that they weren't afraid to change the entire structure of the game, as the Gyms were ditched for the Island Trials.

SM was an attempt to change it, but it wasn't a real change. It's still face x amount of elementally themed bosses to get to the end. The most difference was that it was one powerful mon that can summon adds instead of being a team of varying amounts of mons that aren't any stronger than your normal mon. I encourage them trying to make it more different than that.

It is completely fine to change from gyms, they are not the core of Pokemon. The core of Pokemon is battling, in which it was mostly removed in favor of GO's boring method of leveling up Pokemon.

Then what's the next biggest section? Because we can only pick one of them.
Since when? If Pokemon was a franchise incapable of appealing to multiple people, then we wouldn't have different types of fans to consider.
The only alternative is to get the fandom itself to stop being single-minded. Otherwise, I do not know how a game can contain everything that everyone wants without contradicting itself.
If people want different things, how is the fandom being single-minded?

Games can contain multiple features that not everyone has to use. Character customization and affection games with Pokemon are a good example of this-they're features that some people enjoy, but the people that don't aren't require to use them at all. It's not being contradictory to include a feature that not everyone will use.

I have a feeling this game will absolutely flop, but who knows?

Most of their sales are because of young children who might not a actually care at all they can't use items or use abilities, fight wild pokemon, or catch all 800+ creatures as long as they get to cuddle with Pikachu.

I see very little evidence that casual Pokemon Go players are going to be buying an expensive system to play a obscenely simplified remake of an old region with features of a game they can play on their phone for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom