• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If LGPE is doing something right, is that the characters are showing expressions now. It was weird seeing Helios/Selene only showing expressions during 3 cutscenes and Z-Moves.
It is impossible to overstate this fact.

Any desired plot points or returning characters for Gen 8?

Just trying to get a ball rolling that will eventually destroy something cause arguing.

Well, here's who I think will return from each generation.

I: Oak, maybe Red and Blue.
II: Jasmine? She is the only Johto character that has appeared in another game (without counting the Contest cameos).
III: Wally. Maybe Anabel.
IV: Cynthia and Looker.
V: Colress. N maybe.
VI: Dexio and Sina.
VII: Hau, Gladion and Lillie.

Other: Wes, Rui and Michael. I can dream, right?

Well, here's who I think will return from each generation.

I: Oak, maybe Red and Blue.
II: Jasmine? She is the only Johto character that has appeared in another game (without counting the Contest cameos).
III: Wally. Maybe Anabel.
IV: Cynthia and Looker.
V: Colress. N maybe.
VI: Dexio and Sina.
VII: Hau, Gladion and Lillie.

Other: Wes, Rui and Michael. I can dream, right?
Well, assuming that a haunter hasn't used dream eater then yeah.

I don't really care about the graphics, but Town looks much more expansive and explorable than the recent Pokemon games and generally looks like it has more effort put into it, which is pretty sad. This is what the 2019 game should feel like. If they can't manage to make something greater than or equal to Town in 2019, I'm done with this series.
Maybe Town's the reason why LGPE seem to be lack luster (due to allocation of time and resources)?

Maybe Town's the reason why LGPE seem to be lack luster (due to allocation of time and resources)?
XD I am pretty sure it doesn't make sense to blame another game for the company choosing to release a lackluster one.

Plus graphics aren't why LGPE seems lackluster- the graphics in LGPE are actually pretty good (although the choice of lighting on the pokemon models is atrocious), it's just the decision to stick to the grid format for nostalgia's sake and dumbing down the gameplay by 100 that makes the games seem bad. Add on a rival resembling the majority of the anime's background characters... I feel like LGPE's problems come mostly down to design choice and a conscious effort to make the games overly simple.

I guess design could be argued to be a time and resources thing, but they have made it pretty clear that the map and story are sticking close to the original games for nostalgia and they certainly had the time and resources to simplify the gameplay to a stupid level so... pretty sure that even if they did have more people working on it, this would still be what we would get.

XD I am pretty sure it doesn't make sense to blame another game for the company choosing to release a lackluster one.

Plus graphics aren't why LGPE seems lackluster- the graphics in LGPE are actually pretty good (although the choice of lighting on the pokemon models is atrocious), it's just the decision to stick to the grid format for nostalgia's sake and dumbing down the gameplay by 100 that makes the games seem bad. Add on a rival resembling the majority of the anime's background characters... I feel like LGPE's problems come mostly down to design choice and a conscious effort to make the games overly simple.

I guess design could be argued to be a time and resources thing, but they have made it pretty clear that the map and story are sticking close to the original games for nostalgia and they certainly had the time and resources to simplify the gameplay to a stupid level so... pretty sure that even if they did have more people working on it, this would still be what we would get.

This. LGPE isn't lackluster because they're not spending enough time on it. It's lackluster because of intentional design decisions. Even if they had all of the time in the world to work on the game, if they're intentionally simplifying it to draw in mobile gamers, faithfully recreating the original maps to the point of being virtual copy/pastes, and limiting the game to only the original 151, there's really nothing they can do to keep that experience from being as divisive as it is. LGPE's problem is its core concept, not the amount of resources they're spending on it.

What I'm more worried about with Town is if it affects the development of the 2019 game. The 2019 is going to need a ton of development time and resources to make the kind of large scale, open ended console experience we all want this game to be, if they're taking time away from it to work on two smaller projects, the final project probably won't be as ambitious as it's expected to be.

The Pokemon in your profile pic is an interesting concept for a combo evolution I'd like to see happen with Eevee; I follow this user on IG called Elite4 and they recently posted something similar.
It's just Flareon sitting on a Tangela. I took it from an old calendar.

I'm firmly anti-fusion.

Honestly, I wouldn't like voice acting since this would force a limit to what a player character can be called. Breath of the Wild is known for being the first Zelda game since Four Sword Adventures to not allow you to name Link, and that's only because of voice acting. And no, Tetra Trackers isn't a good example of voice acting since each vowel in the English language has various sounds, so it would take too much work just for the in-game characters to say the player's name.

I think they're relying on two things to sell LGPE.

Nostalgia.

And the gullibility of your typical casual phone gamer.
They've been milking Gen1 nostalgia for years now so no surprise there. What baffles me is that they actually believe a casual phone gamer (those games are mostly free, and have optional micro-transactions) are going to spend hundreds of dollars on a switch and a Let's GO game.

They've been milking Gen1 nostalgia for years now so no surprise there. What baffles me is that they actually believe a casual phone gamer (those games are mostly free, and have optional micro-transactions) are going to spend hundreds of dollars on a switch and a Let's GO game.
That does seem strange. I'm sure there are many people who play just because it's a free game and not because they are into Pokemon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom