• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just lowering my expectations for this trademark to avoid disappointments, the only time I'll get excited is when 2019 rolls around and this trademark is still something we don't know about. Until then, not going to expect anything big from it.

You don't have to expect big things from it, but there's nothing wrong with expecting something small to come of it. It's almost certain that there will be some sort of outcome to this, considering the logo, so pessimism ends up not being the most logical option.

Monpoké huh? I wonder what that's all about. This Halloween theme takes getting used to. And maybe I shouldn't name my fan games after rumored titles.

I would see the the titles for Pokemon gen 8 games will be call "Sword" and "Shield". I thought it would be cool names.

Reactions: SGD
I would see the the titles for Pokemon gen 8 games will be call "Sword" and "Shield". I thought it would be cool names.
I agree, but I can't help feel that Game Freak could have some reservations towards calling a Version: Sword or any kind of weapon due to the possible controversy that titling a children's game after such could entail.

Also on another note I can't imagine what they'd do for a 3rd Version title, maybe Pokémon: Strike and Guard; and Parry could be good names, and it could help circumvent any problems the title Sword might incite as well (and if they wanted to go with 3rd/4th Versions, again…maybe they could do Break as well. Seeing as you can Parry a Strike and Break a Guard).

I agree, but I can't help feel that Game Freak could have some reservations towards calling a Version: Sword or any kind of weapon due to the possible controversy that titling a children's game after such could entail.
290564-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-wii-front-cover.png

Last edited:
This trademark is giving me Pokémon Amie flashbacks, since of you separate Poke - mon - Amie, it would literally translate to "Poke My Friend" if we leave the 'poke' untranslated. And that was exactly what the feature entailed- poking your friend/pokemon.

I thought it was a clever name for that reason. I wonder if MonPoke has a similar hidden meaning.

Okay…so…not sure what this has to do with Pokémon, which I was talking about by the way; probably also worth noting Pokémon is developed by Game Freak, which I was also talking about, and not Nintendo who both have their own ways of doing things, and a PEGI 12 (M) rating (a Rating that technically isn't for children and by extention Skyward Sword isn't technically for children; while Pokémon) is also different from a PEGI 7 (PG) rating too (a rating that technically is for children, albeit with parental guidance recommend).

I'm sorry, and I could very we'll be wrong about Game Freak titling a Pokémon game after a weapon, but while I do see the point your trying to make here, this is very much comparing Apples to Oranges and is not how you formulate an argument.

Presuming you were responding to me: I was talking about the title of a Game, not the appearance of a Pokémon. …I'm not sure how you got that out of what I posted; I wasn't even talking about designs at all either, but if we wanna bring up designs Remoraid's based on a gun…but Game Freak's never gonna release a game called Pokémon: Revolver, are they now?

I'm sorry, and I could very we'll be wrong about Game Freak titling a Pokémon game after a weapon, but while I do see the point your trying to make here, this is very much comparing Apples to Oranges and is not how you formulate an argument.
GameFreak has literally got away with depicting death and genocide in Pokemon XY (even attempting to kill the player once if I'm not mistaken) and possible child abuse in the case of Lillie, Gladion and Guzma in Sun/Moon.
Not to mention most of Mewtwo's entries mention 'horrific gene splicing'.

Naming games "Sword/Shield" will not affect their ratings.
(But I don’t think the games will be named that)

Having Smash: Brawl in the title also does not have very good implications but it ends up being family friendly too.
At most @TechSkylander1518 is comparing farm grown apples to wild apples.

Okay…so…not sure what this has to do with Pokémon, which I was talking about by the way; probably also worth noting Pokémon is developed by Game Freak, which I was also talking about, and not Nintendo who both have their own ways of doing things,

Actually Nintendo has 1/3 ownership of the Pokémon Franchise so they do get a say in what happens.

Last edited:
The Zelda games always had swords associated with it, despite that, some child friendly games came out of the franchise, so I don't how it would be a problem for Pokemon to do the same. Also, Pokemon is owned by 3 companies: Nintendo, Creatures and Game Freak.

The logo for MonPoké looks like something that would be used by some online online service or app. If, like others have mentioned, it actually stands for Monster Pocket, there might a decent chance MonPoké is indeed the planned replacement for Pokémon Bank. Going even farther, imagine that we might be able to control these banked Pokémon with an app on our phones! Nintendo has recently been releasing apps that are in diret contact with their Switch titles, like Splatoon 2, and the new Nintendo Online service, so it might not be too much of a stretch to continue that trend with a Pokémon app. It would also make sense to give Pokémon Bank a rebranding if they plan to re-release it as a mobile app.

The Zelda games always had swords associated with it, despite that, some child friendly games came out of the franchise, so I don't how it would be a problem for Pokemon to do the same. Also, Pokemon is owned by 3 companies: Nintendo, Creatures and Game Freak.
Pokemon and Zelda are aimed for two entirely different demographics. Pokemon primarily aims towards kids while Zelda primarily aims towards teenagers and adults.

Reactions: SGD
The logo for MonPoké looks like something that would be used by some online online service or app. If, like others have mentioned, it actually stands for Monster Pocket, there might a decent chance MonPoké is indeed the planned replacement for Pokémon Bank. Going even farther, imagine that we might be able to control these banked Pokémon with an app on our phones! Nintendo has recently been releasing apps that are in diret contact with their Switch titles, like Splatoon 2, and the new Nintendo Online service, so it might not be too much of a stretch to continue that trend with a Pokémon app. It would also make sense to give Pokémon Bank a rebranding if they plan to re-release it as a mobile app.

If we’re paying for it I hope we get a Poképelago-like feature in the app too!

Pokemon and Zelda are aimed for two entirely different demographics. Pokemon primarily aims towards kids while Zelda primarily aims towards teenagers and adults.
Having a Pokémon game associated with swords is not as big of a deal as implying child abuse at two instances, showing death in one version, the ethics of capturing Pokémon itself, not to mention genocide in an European region.

(And if you’re going to talk about the cover, the cover could be designed in a child-friendly way. At a glance to an outsider: something like ‘Smash:Brawl’ would sound like an incredibly gore-heavy and violent title but seeing the box art would make the argument ridiculous).

‘Sword and Shield’ titles could be used to express themes like patience and activity, outgoing (sword) and introverted (shield) personalities, offence and defence, aggression and calm and how things can be handled in both ways.

It works excellently for secondary themes the Pokémon titles often hint to.

If Pokemon 2019 will really be a game meant for hardcore fans like GF said then I don't think they'll care about children.

Note: the following is not necessarily an indicator of what I want to see, rather something I can see GameFreak doing. Just a concept I suddenly thought of.

So this is the scenario for the fire starter I think will happen if we get a Fire Snake starter (NOTE: I really don’t want to argue about the fire starter zodiac theory since it has derailed conversation way too many times with no logical outcome).

Since GameFreak really, really likes having their fire starters connected somehow to humanoids, I can see them adopting the Naga myth from various ideologies (most prominently Hindu) which involves a snake being able to shape-shift to a human form or a half-snake half-human form (it would become all the more probable if the next region is in South-East Asia like some have been saying).
It could end up having a proud personality as a theme or a theme prominent on revenge, since snakes (specially female) are depicted as revenge-seeking in media related to these.

For type I imagine it to be Fire/Poison (but it may end up being too similar to Salazzle, specially if they try to adapt the feminine aspects of it) or Fire/Psychic. Maybe even Fire/Dark but I doubt they’d repeat it just after Incineroar.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the concept,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom