• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish the black nuts were yellow, gold or brown; something to better match up with the head nut. But other than that, I like Melmetal. It's certainly better than the lazy shit that was Meltan.

To me, it looks like they're preparing for Melmetal to be some sort of Transformer. To me, those black nuts look more like tires than nuts.

Just as long as the concept used has some difference from its original use, I'm fine with it.

Damn, they finally created a Pokémon that I can't get normally since I live in the middle of nowhere now. Hopefully, we can get Meltan through a Wi-fi distribution in the future and the ability to get candies somehow or an alternate way to evolve it in Gen VIII.
You don't need to walk around in order to get Meltan. In order to catch Meltan, you need to send a Pokemon from GO to Let's Go. A Mystery Box will be sent to GO, which will cause a crap ton of Meltan to spawn.

You don't need to walk around in order to get Meltan. In order to catch Meltan, you need to send a Pokemon from GO to Let's Go. A Mystery Box will be sent to GO, which will cause a crap ton of Meltan to spawn.
That makes things slightly better in my case, since I'm getting Eevee (I'm a completionist). There's still the problem with Poké Balls, since I don't plan to buy them and there are no Poké Stops around here.

None of these say anything about it never originally being Stars. They don't touch on the rumor at all.
You're missing my point. The point isn't that they deny the rumor specifically-it's that the timeline for development they gave completely contradicts the timeline Phillips claimed.
Phillips said:
This parallel development structure has allowed the work-in-progress Pokémon Stars to already feature working versions of Sun and Moon content. I'm told that GameFreak largely paused work on the Switch version a couple of months ago to polish Sun and Moon in time for their launch this month, but that work on Stars will now resume with the development of features not found in the 3DS versions.
Phillips said:
Stars had been planned and worked towards while Sun and Moon were in production,
Ohmori said:
For example this time with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon we can treat it mainly as a project for our younger staff to work on and grow and develop their skills, while perhaps the more veteran, established members of the company can work on the upcoming [Switch] project.
The idea for the Ultra games started to form late in development on Sun and Moon, when those titles were still in a beta phase. The goal for the new releases, according to Ohmori, was to offer more to do for existing fans, but also create an easier entry point for newcomers — especially those who were drawn to the series by Pokémon Go. Eventually he recruited Kazumasa Iwao, who was in charge of the battle systems in Sun and Moon, to direct the game.
Phillip claims Stars was developed during SuMo's development, but Ohmori said USUM was started after the development of SuMo, and that it was developed alongside LGPE. (which he also refers to as the only Switch project)

However, in your second source, there is a link to this article by Oscar Dayus:
One of the reasons people were surprised at the lack of a Switch version was because a third version of Pokemon Sun and Moon--unofficially dubbed Pokemon Stars--was heavily rumored to be in development for the hybrid console. That game may have subsequently become Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and when pressed on whether those games could come to Switch later down the line, Ohmori stated simply that "there are [currently] no plans for that in particular."
This article is written after the Eurogamer article, so it's likely that's what it was referring to as "heavily rumored". This article also contradicts Eurogamer, which claimed Stars was the codename, not the unofficial term. I don't understand your inclusion of the second half-isn't Ohmori saying that there's no plans for USUM on Switch more evidence against Stars?

Besides, assuming USUM to be the result of Stars is a huge stretch. There's no mention of any of USUM's new features in Phillips' articles. The only new feature he actually does promise is new graphics, which are totally absent from USUM. So if Stars became USUM, why did it lose all of its new features as Stars and gain entirely new ones that Phillips never knew about, despite being the only person in the know about Stars?

Except in an article where they aren't asked about why it isn't on switch, they said this about development:
The idea for the Ultra games started to form late in development on Sun and Moon, when those titles were still in a beta phase. The goal for the new releases, according to Ohmori, was to offer more to do for existing fans, but also create an easier entry point for newcomers — especially those who were drawn to the series by Pokémon Go. Eventually he recruited Kazumasa Iwao, who was in charge of the battle systems in Sun and Moon, to direct the game.
So they created it to appeal to new fans brought in by GO...hoping they'd buy a 3DS when the switch had just come out? It got popular in 2016 before SuMo came out. And releasing a split sequel is more off-putting than not.
You say later in the post that the point of moving it to the 3DS was to keep it popular-why appealing to Go fans in the hopes of selling a 3DS seem odd? (It's also not a split sequel, they're just alternate stories. Players can play just one out of any of the four Gen 7 games and still understand the story just fine)
Nintendo wanted games to keep it afloat as it is still selling well, but they didn't have their planned remakes and ports ready yet.
Except they did-as Phillips himself puts it:
we got Metroid: Samus Returns and Monster Hunter Stories, but also a Yoshi's Woolly World port from Wii U, Mario Sports Superstars, a Mario Party compilation, and then titles pulled from the back of the sofa: Miitopia, released last Christmas in Japan, and Brain Age

Stars would also change the perception of what to expect from a console Pokemon game and probably make Let's Go look worse in comparison to SuMo with HD graphics,
Except Let's Go was being developed at the same time as USUM.
Ohmori said:
For example this time with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon we can treat it mainly as a project for our younger staff to work on and grow and develop their skills, while perhaps the more veteran, established members of the company can work on the upcoming [Switch] project.
So either LGPE came after Stars-in which case decisions on Stars shouldn't have been made based on LGPE-or LGPE was being worked at the same time as Stars, in which case there should have been plenty of time to make LGPE shape up in comparison.

I like melmetal. I think his personality keeping that cute aspect meltan has makes him super adorable. I’m very happy with him. I’m also very VERY happy he stayed steel. I hate steel/electric I think they are completely useless. At least when I have tried to use them.

Also as far as I have seen it is not confirmed that 400 candies is how you evolve him. They have not confirmed how he evolves at all other than they join together. Unless I missed something

I like melmetal. I think his personality keeping that cute aspect meltan has makes him super adorable. I’m very happy with him. I’m also very VERY happy he stayed steel. I hate steel/electric I think they are completely useless. At least when I have tried to use them.

Also as far as I have seen it is not confirmed that 400 candies is how you evolve him. They have not confirmed how he evolves at all other than they join together. Unless I missed something
See the official site: Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! | Meltan

I wish the black nuts were yellow, gold or brown; something to better match up with the head nut. But other than that, I like Melmetal. It's certainly better than the lazy shit that was Meltan.

Meltitan would been a cooler name, though.

Disagree that Melmetal's design is better than Meltan's, but absolutely agree that Meltitan would have been a better name. Melmetal is a super lame name. =/

Gawd do I hate Melmetal's design, though, Meltan barely scraped by on being cute, but Melmetal has completely destroyed that with this unwanted buff monster- oh well, no surprise there. But I totally called it on the 400 candies, so I will take that win. ;D ...the Play Yard theory would have probably been more of a challenge, though. Meh. Sooo... yeah, sorta disappointed but not at all surprised by Melmetal ruining Meltan for me- I mean, yeah, Meltan's adorable, but I would be happy if I could just get hold of one, screw evolving it.

Despite that, I am kinda hoping that GameFreak will do more stuff like this in the future, because the concept itself is great? Connecting the main series games to GO incorporates Pokemon more into your life, and I think that's brilliant. I hate that they in turn incorporated GO's play style into a main series game, but... that is what it is. In any case, if Gen 8 has Pokemon GO connectivity without actually putting GO's mechanics into the game, that would be fine by me. And if they start doing more unique methods of acquiring and evolving pokemon using spin offs, I think that could be great too- preferably if they stick to only using the free ones. >.> Because. Yeah. Paywalls. No thanks.

If they tried anything remotely like how Monster Rancher would have you put in an actual CD or DVD to unlock monsters, that could be insanely fun, too. Obviously not using disks like those games did for many reasons, but something similar in that you can use generic real world items to acquire something in-game.

...also curious if you have to be within trading distance to send pokemon to a friend's Switch or not. Gonna bet on "probably" there.

Last edited:
If they tried anything remotely like how Monster Rancher would have you put in an actual CD or DVD to unlock monsters, that could be insanely fun, too. Obviously not using disks like those games did for many reasons, but something similar in that you can use generic real world items to acquire something in-game.
Maybe other Switch games, too? I mean, that's more or less how Monster Rancher DS worked: They had two methods to get monsters: You could insert a GBA game or doodle something in the screen to get a monster.

Of course, you would need something like Poké Transporter to make it work, but I can see something like that working.

Maybe other Switch games, too? I mean, that's more or less how Monster Rancher DS worked: They had two methods to get monsters: You could insert a GBA game or doodle something in the screen to get a monster.

Of course, you would need something like Poké Transporter to make it work, but I can see something like that working.
Would be a great opportunity for some crossover pokemon- get a Mario-inspired Pokemon by connecting a Mario game? Or since Amiibos don't seem to be dead yet- swipe one of those? ...preferably the connecting a game option, though, I don't really want to go chasing down Amiibos unless they're in a discount bin. You get quite a bit more worth out of a game than one of those toys.

Another thing that worked on a similar concept were the handheld Skannerz games that had you swipe barcodes to collect monsters. I wouldn't mind scanning barcodes like a crazy person to get me some pokemon. Or QR codes could work too.

Would be a great opportunity for some crossover pokemon- get a Mario-inspired Pokemon by connecting a Mario game? Or since Amiibos don't seem to be dead yet- swipe one of those? ...preferably the connecting a game option, though, I don't really want to go chasing down Amiibos unless they're in a discount bin. You get quite a bit more worth out of a game than one of those toys.

Another thing that worked on a similar concept were the handheld Skannerz games that had you swipe barcodes to collect monsters. I wouldn't mind scanning barcodes like a crazy person to get me some pokemon. Or QR codes could work too.
Never heard of the Skannerz games. Might be worth a look. Crossover Pokémon is not something I can see working, partly due to the possibility that it would be a one time thing, partly due to the fact that I feel they would only use it to make more Pikachu varieties.

QR codes could be nice. Specially if they distribute events through them. That way anyone can get them without being afraid of missing them. Maybe non-Pokémon specific QR codes could give you a random Pokémon, like Monster Rancher does. Maybe with their hidden abilities so you don't feel that bad if you don't get what you want.

Never heard of the Skannerz games. Might be worth a look. Crossover Pokémon is not something I can see working, partly due to the possibility that it would be a one time thing, partly due to the fact that I feel they would only use it to make more Pikachu varieties.

QR codes could be nice. Specially if they distribute events through them. That way anyone can get them without being afraid of missing them. Maybe non-Pokémon specific QR codes could give you a random Pokémon, like Monster Rancher does. Maybe with their hidden abilities so you don't feel that bad if you don't get what you want.
Skannerz are old as heck, I got mine when I was a little kid. XD It was actually a horrible game, but I still love the concept.

It's mentioned that it already has a signature move, Double Iron Bash, but it'd be cool to have another! Double Blaze probably isn't connected to Meltitan (I love that name way more and I refuse to accept Melmetal), but since Double Iron Bash also has "double" in it, I think it's a good candidate to be a Fire-type counterpart!

It's mentioned that it already has a signature move, Double Iron Bash, but it'd be cool to have another! Double Blaze probably isn't connected to Meltitan (I love that name way more and I refuse to accept Melmetal), but since Double Iron Bash also has "double" in it, I think it's a good candidate to be a Fire-type counterpart!
Could they be names of card sets with the Meltan line

Since it's reveal do any of you think the old "Full Metal Wall" and "Double Blaze" trademarks with have anything to do with Melmetal?

It's already confirmed Full Metal Wall is gonna be a TCG set, Double Blaze definitely will be one. If they have anything to do with Meltan & Melmetal, I'm guessing their TCG cards would be in Full Metal Wall, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom