• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! The cutscene skipping is optional! Now I don't have to worry about pressing Start(?) by mistake!

On topic: I feel that Jigglypuff is going to stab me once I fall asleep. Thank for the nightmares, Hollywood!
But that mr. mime, though. That thing is my spirit animal (and that psyduck is great just for it's expression and just being there)

How would you feel about hyper realistic Pokemon in gen 8?

Like this:
Dr0W4KCWkAA3Rp0
No. Who the hell wants that?

No. Who the hell wants that?
Apparently the makers of the Detective Pikachu movie. It looks way better in motion. Well... most of them do. That Jigglypuff is actually the outlier, really. You should see their Mr. Mime. It's actually really great.

I think the designs for Detective Pikachu are intentionally unsettling in some places. It's a mystery film, so they'll be wanting to play up danger and suspense, and RJ Palmer is one of the visual artists behind it, and his realistic designs tended to be popular because of how the realism made them unsettling. (Though I think there's some that look way nicer than the screencaps imply, Pikachu especially. A screencap in motion isn't the best way to show off a design)

EDIT: Oh! And if the plot is carried over from the game, Charizard's appearance might also be affected by R.

Last edited:
I think that's just because everyone loves to try to make it look horrific. "Exaggerated human face" isn't really a "realistic" depiction for a character that doesn't seem to be humanoid in any other regard. But I don't think a live action Kirby piece would work, even if Kirby himself was done well-it's a series that's pretty fantastical, and with no humans to be seen anywhere. It'

I think that's just because everyone loves to try to make it look horrific. "Exaggerated human face" isn't really a "realistic" depiction for a character that doesn't seem to be humanoid in any other regard. But I don't think a live action Kirby piece would work, even if Kirby himself was done well-it's a series that's pretty fantastical, and with no humans to be seen anywhere. It'
True. I never got why people try to ruin things by making them "realistic" (points at various Mr. Mime drawings), then again, people like to make everything creepier, even if there's no context at all for that (points at various "Mario is a horrible brother" fanfics). I guess doing something similar to the Pokémon Go ads would have worked.

Also, your post got cut somewhere.

I don't want to have hyper realistic Pokemon in Gen 8. I prefer the cartoony look they have now.
Not such a fan of the cartoon look. Feels a bit too childish to me. But I understand why it is in that style, children being mostly the target audience.

Although, I've always wondered what an adult focused game would look like. It could work if done correctly.

Erm, after seeing a pretty disturbing realistic Kirby, I can say it's not a good idea *shudders*

Kirby would look cute with kitten hair.

Probably a good idea they made Jigglypuff hairy, if it was a rubbery ball of skin ...

Ew no, I don't ever want a realistically-styled pokemon game. Games based on live-action movies tend to have such a weird feel to them.

But honestly, I think the CG for Detective Pikachu could have been done a lot better- the style they went for is a "cartoons rendered in real life", making them look like living stuffed animals, rather than going to any effort to make them actually look like real life creatures. It disappoints me how many comments I've seen that this movie is "proof that pokemon should not be realistic" when it's really not... it's just not doing it well. But it would probably take more time and a bigger budget for them to make some decently animated pokemon.

As for the trailer- it's giving me The Last Airbender vibes, so I am not expecting a good film. Crossing my fingers that if this turns out to be as bad as... let's see, the list has gotten long- live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender, Dragon Ball Z, or Ghost in the Shell- that that doesn't give them the message that a live-action Pokemon movie can't be successful, because I'm sure that it could.

True. I never got why people try to ruin things by making them "realistic" (points at various Mr. Mime drawings), then again, people like to make everything creepier, even if there's no context at all for that (points at various "Mario is a horrible brother" fanfics). I guess doing something similar to the Pokémon Go ads would have worked.

XD As someone who likes to draw pokemon as realistically as she can, it is a bit disappointing to see "realistic" be synonymous with "creepy," but I know what you're talking about. I honestly don't think those people are trying to make pokemon look realistic, I think they're just out to create nightmare fuel.

But honestly, I think the CG for Detective Pikachu could have been done a lot better- the style they went for is a "cartoons rendered in real life", making them look like living stuffed animals, rather than going to any effort to make them actually look like real life creatures. It disappoints me how many comments I've seen that this movie is "proof that pokemon should not be realistic" when it's really not... it's just not doing it well. But it would probably take more time and a bigger budget for them to make some decently animated pokemon.

Knowing how Hollywood works, not even a bigger budget would work since I feel this is the kind of style they are looking for if things like American Death Note is any indication (where they managed to make Ryuk uglier, somehow).

As for the trailer- it's giving me The Last Airbender vibes, so I am not expecting a good film. Crossing my fingers that if this turns out to be as bad as... let's see, the list has gotten long- live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender, Dragon Ball Z, or Ghost in the Shell- that that doesn't give them the message that a live-action Pokemon movie can't be successful, because I'm sure that it could.

Well, if we include non-Hollywood movies, you could add Bleach and Attack on Titan. Doesn't help that Attack on Titan is getting a Hollywood version in the next two years or three *shudders*. Please don't make the Titans laughable, Hollywood, or add unnecessary romance (seriously, what's wrong with single protagonists?), or remove beloved characters, or make everyone look the same, or... *keeps going for days*

XD As someone who likes to draw pokemon as realistically as she can, it is a bit disappointing to see "realistic" be synonymous with "creepy," but I know what you're talking about. I honestly don't think those people are trying to make pokemon look realistic, I think they're just out to create nightmare fuel.

From what I have seen in your gallery, you're the minority. Which is sad, since you managed to make them look interesting. Like you said, it's almost as if they are doing this on purpose.

Knowing how Hollywood works, not even a bigger budget would work since I feel this is the kind of style they are looking for if things like American Death Note is any indication (where they managed to make Ryuk uglier, somehow).

Well, if we include non-Hollywood movies, you could add Bleach and Attack on Titan. Doesn't help that Attack on Titan is getting a Hollywood version in the next two years or three *shudders*. Please don't make the Titans laughable, Hollywood, or add unnecessary romance (seriously, what's wrong with single protagonists?), or remove beloved characters, or make everyone look the same, or... *keeps going for days*
Well see, I think this is the problem with movies based on anime in general- they're often lower budget or not remotely faithful to the source material. Or feature bad acting or casting choices and just... a mixed bag of things that make a movie not good. I think about the huge non-anime movies, though, like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Movies made with much more care. Heck, with a good story, good actors, and good CG like Cameron's Avatar (just the CG, not the story) or Star Wars (Porgs come to mind), you could have a really good live-action Pokemon movie with impressive visuals that look like real living creatures and not walking stuffed animals. But I think Hollywood is afraid to really take a chance on an anime film, so they don't dedicate the care and resources to them and what we wind up with are just these subpar movies that don't put much into them so they don't risk losing anything.

From what I have seen in your gallery, you're the minority. Which is sad, since you managed to make them look interesting. Like you said, it's almost as if they are doing this on purpose.
Thank you~ I actually have a ton of stuff in the works that is a bit more refined realistically than what's in my gallery. But yeah, I think they are intentionally making them look monstrous. XD It's not like nature is inherently terrifying, so there's no reason to make everything creepy as heck unless that's what you're trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom