• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Pokedex entries are legend the first episode shows spearows trying to kill Ash and Pikachu,and hoopa unbound is evil.

It's intirely plausible to have a Pokemon as a villian

As BackSet said, they were just acting instinctively. Animals can also attack you for various reasons in real life, and that doesn't make them evil.

Hoopa was "evil"? He seemed just mischievous to me, from what I know about the movie. But maybe you're right tho. I didn't watch the Hoopa movie.

And yes, I think it is possible. It just wasn't that common Pokémon being "evil", but it seems that they already broke that pattern with Malamar in the anime...so I don't see why it could not happen.

It wasn't Hoopa that was evil, it was Hoopa's bottled power that manifested itself as a fake Unbound Hoopa that tried to get its hands on the real Hoopa.

And there was also Mewtwo in the first movie. He may have changed at the end but he was still the movie's antagonist. He may have wanted revenge on humans after what Team Rocket did to him, but every villain has a motive. Bigotry against the human race is almost like Malamar's plans to conquer the world.

And there was also Mewtwo in the first movie. He may have changed at the end but he was still the movie's antagonist. He may have wanted revenge on humans after what Team Rocket did to him, but every villain has a motive. Bigotry against the human race is almost like Malamar's plans to conquer the world.
Agreed on this- just because you can justify why a pokemon is being bad, doesn't make what they're doing any less bad.

So I guess if it came down to it, a plot with an "evil" pokemon could have reasons for why they're doing bad things too. It would be like Lysandre in X/Y- he wasn't a bad person to begin with, he just came to have a distorted view of the world that turned him toward doing bad things. Same could happen with a pokemon antagonist too.

We could probably do with eliminating the idea of "evil" from the franchise at this point, because the world isn't really good and evil- it's more complicated than that. And it would be fine if kids could learn this.

About the possible name of the next games...

I see a lot of them on the internet, but sometimes Game Freak still came up with something plausible, good and totally innovative at the same time, that no one thought of before, like X and Y (very few people thought of that, I only know of a comment in a Japanese social network that have predicted it), and Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee (absolutely no one thought of those names, even after the GO launch).

Sun and Moon on the other hand have always been highly suggested and commented on the internet...

Now, if you were to think of innovative and good names at the same time, what would you imagine?

Let me give you some examples of totally innovatives and plausibles names I've seen recently:

Pokémon Rust and Pokémon Chrome
maxresdefault.jpg
(There is a typo on this one)
maxresdefault.jpg
Pokémon Speed of Sound and Pokémon Speed of Light
DZ6MvjoW0AEvGOJ.jpg
Pokémon Chaos and Pokémon Cosmos
maxresdefault.jpg
Pokémon Melody and Pokémon Harmony (suggested here in this thread by SGD)
Pokémon Gems and Pokémon Colors
Pokémon Techno and Pokémon Bio
Pokémon Touka and Pokémon Sakura (or other famous flower in Japan)
Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield

And just for reference, others suggestions not so innovatives, but that are plausibles:

Pokémon Dusk and Pokémon Dawn
Pokémon Past and Pokémon Future
Pokémon Land and Pokémon Sky
Pokémon Sea and Pokémon Land
Pokémon Infrared and Pokémon Ultraviolet
Pokémon Plus and Pokémon Minus
Pokémon Summer and Pokémon Winter
Pokémon Autumn and Pokémon Spring
Pokémon Lightness and Pokémon Darkness
Pokémon Light and Pokémon Shadow
Pokémon Infinity and Pokémon Zero
Pokémon Infinity and Pokémon Eternity
Pokémon Heat and Pokémon Freeze
Pokémon Flame and Pokémon Frost
Pokémon Rainbow and Pokémon Storm
Pokémon Blizzard and Pokémon Sandstorm
Pokémon Mars and Pokémon Venus
Pokémon Speed and Pokémon Velocity
Pokémon Sound and Pokémon Light
Pokémon Me and Pokémon You
Pokémon Quarts and Pokémon Topaz
Pokémon Iron and Pokémon Bronze
Pokémon Jade/Opal/Amethyst/Onyx/Garnet/Tourmaline/Amber
Pokémon Cobalt and Pokémon Crimson
Pokémon Cobalt and Pokémon Copper
Pokémon Iron and Pokémon Copper
Pokémon Twilight and Pokémon Eclipse
Pokémon Ocarina and Pokémon Flute
Pokémon Age and Pokémon Seasons
Pokémon Thunder and Pokémon Lightining
Pokémon Thunder and Pokémon Bolt
Pokémon Obsidian and Pokémon Glass
Pokémon Sunshine and Pokémon Rain
Pokémon Shine and Pokémon Rain
Pokémon Breeze and Pokémon Mist
Pokémon Shine and Pokémon Shadow
Pokémon Blaze and Pokémon Volt
Pokémon Orange and Pokémon Violet
Pokémon Violet and Pokémon Rose
Pokémon Proton and Pokémon Electron
Pokémon Day and Pokémon Night
Pokémon Rainbow and Pokémon Monochrome
Pokémon Uranium and Pokémon Titanium
Pokémon Might and Pokémon Wisdom
Pokémon A and Pokémon Z
Pokémon Order and Pokémon Chaos
Pokémon Genesis and Pokémon Ultimate
Pokémon Chrono and Pokémon Geo
Pokémon Treble and Pokémon Bass
Pokémon Stardust and Pokémon Starlight
Pokémon Stars
Pokémon Cyan
Pokémon Prism
Pokémon Beta/Gamma/Delta/Zeta/Theta/Sigma
Pokémon Aurora
Pokémon Aether
Pokémon Galaxy/World

So, what are your ideas?

Hard mode: No unlikely or strange things like Pokémon Left and Pokémon Right or Pokémon Up and Pokémon Down.

And no jokes like Pokemon Fast and Pokemon Furious as well.

Also, an off thing:
You know, the names of the versions don't have to mean anything depth properly, but speaking about timelines other day, I was thinking of names that could address events that happened (that sounded redundant, I know) and events that didn't happen (but that was a possibility).

For example, in an interview with Polygon recently, Masuda said that in the middle of the development of Pokémon Red and Green, one of the PCs they had been using crashed, and that almost led to the failure of the project. In other words, Pokémon almost didn't came out.

We live on a timeline that the project went out of paper and became the franchise we know today. But how to approach this type of situation in two names? I could not think of two words properly. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
That's a really great topic to discuss, but we actually already have a thread on it- What should the next pair of games be called?

Yeah, I know that. I've looked at that topic before, I guess. But that topic has a slightly different purpose from my post. I don't want to just come up with names, I would like to discover names that are not obvious and at the same time plausible. Plausible names that the community has not yet thought of.

Edit
Agreed on this- just because you can justify why a pokemon is being bad, doesn't make what they're doing any less bad.

So I guess if it came down to it, a plot with an "evil" pokemon could have reasons for why they're doing bad things too. It would be like Lysandre in X/Y- he wasn't a bad person to begin with, he just came to have a distorted view of the world that turned him toward doing bad things. Same could happen with a pokemon antagonist too.

We could probably do with eliminating the idea of "evil" from the franchise at this point, because the world isn't really good and evil- it's more complicated than that. And it would be fine if kids could learn this.

Oh, and about that "evil" Pokémon discussion, as I said, I know that, that's why I used the word "evil" in quotes. Of course, it's subjective.

Lysandre could be considered "evil". And he didn't only has a distorted view of the world, he was also sick.

But I think that with the Malamar's example, which wasn't being controlled by humans at all, we don't even have to enter this depth into this discussion about evil, just with what Malamar has done in the anime we already could consider it as "evil".

About Mewtwo, I'm not so sure...He would act as an antagonist, but in the movie did he say anything about exterminating humans? I can't remember of anything like that off the top of my head. But also Mewtwo's acts were totally "rational", as far as I remember. He had not seen a good example of the human race (unlike Lysandre, for example), and that's why at the end of the movie he changes his mind after dialogue with Ash e co.

But yeah, the Malamar example was enough to show that I was wrong about that...Pokémon really can be "evil" at all. Although we have few cases of (one or two?).

Last edited:
Erm, I'll suggest that they don't use Quartz, since that was the name of a crappy Ruby hack. And people should not be exposed to that one (really, what the hell was Baro drinking?). Pokémon Jade on the other hand would be hilarious in hindsight. Even funnier if we instead get Pokémon Speed and Pokémon Power. Dusk and Dawn are names that were already used by another series (Digimon), but if we got Sun and Moon (which were used by the long forgotten Robopon), then that means they can use them, too.

Erm, I'll suggest that they don't use Quartz, since that was the name of a crappy Ruby hack. And people should not be exposed to that one (really, what the hell was Baro drinking?). Pokémon Jade on the other hand would be hilarious in hindsight. Even funnier if we instead get Pokémon Speed and Pokémon Power. Dusk and Dawn are names that were already used by another series (Digimon), but if we got Sun and Moon (which were used by the long forgotten Robopon), then that means they can use them, too.

Black and Diamond were also names of roms, so I guess they really don't care about. Oh, Speed and Power are really good an innovative names. Why would they be "funnier"?

Honestly I like the names Sword and Shield the best.

I like them too, and well, it's pretty hard to came up with names that the community has not thought about. I also think that Touka and Sakura would fit really well like Pokémon games...but I don't think they would use such names because it would be difficult to "internationalize" it.

About that "off-thing", I came up with words like destiny and fate, and also time and space, but I think they are too abstract names to be Pokémon version's names.

Well, to further differentiate from the topic mentioned by TechSkylander, let's add one more thing:

In addition to innovative names you may have thought of, what of those names would you like to have versions based on? Or which of those names do you think the 8th gen games might be based on? Oh, and I edited the post and added a few more good names.

Last edited:
Some of my ideas:
- Pokemon Dreams and Pokemon Reality/Verity
- Pokemon Peace and Pokemon Conflict
- Pokemon Nature and Pokemon Artificial
- Pokemon Zenith and Pokemon Nadir
- Pokemon Unity and Pokemon Division

Of these names, I think that the last one is the most possible.

They wouldn’t name a new game on the literal theme of Diamond and Pearl.

I had thought about that... but I don't think that it would be the main impediment for them to use these names, they used Sun and Moon, after all (Ho-Oh and Lugia also represented Sun and Moon in some way). I think they would not use it because the names would be too abstract.

Some of my ideas:
- Pokemon Dreams and Pokemon Reality/Verity
- Pokemon Peace and Pokemon Conflict
- Pokemon Nature and Pokemon Artificial
- Pokemon Zenith and Pokemon Nadir
- Pokemon Unity and Pokemon Division

Of these names, I think that the last one is the most possible.

Nice ones. I liked Unity and Division more, too.

Well, and I'll give my opinion too: from that list, the ones I would most like to become real with the 8th gen are "Touka and Sakura" or "Flame and Frost", with no doubts. The question is which way they will want to take with the game's names from now on. Flame could be sound a little non-friendly.

To be honest, if I would make a very critical analysis, and disregard names for not sounding friendly, or for not being simple enough for small childrens to understand, or for simply not being concrete concepts enough itself, from the items of that list would only be left:

Dusk and Dawn, Summer and Winter, Autumn and Spring, Sound and Light, Me and You, Shine and Rain, Violet and Rose, Day and Night, A and Z, Orange and Violet, Breeze and Mist. And I honestly don't see any of these being cast for the eighth generation. And I don't want it either.

Touka and Sakura would be sound too much japanese. About Plus and Minus, the Minus version might sound in a bad way.

About Flame and Frost, and others, I know they've used Fire, which may also sound non-friendly. And they have also used Omega and Alpha which can be difficult for children to understand. But I think that with the names of the "first versions" may be different, because it isn't about prefixes, but about the whole concept.

But on the other hand, the most concrete, friendly, simple and good names are ending. So I think that even if it will not be now, soon they will have to take new routes with the names.

Besides that, here are a few more that I thought of, and that I've never seen before:

Pokémon Key and Pokémon Lock
Pokémon Sunny and Pokémon Cloudy/Misty
Pokémon Sunflower and Pokémon Orchid/Lily/Waterlily
Pokémon Rock and Pokémon Metal
Pokémon Sunshine and Pokémon Moonshine/Pokémon Sunlight and Pokémon Moonlight
Pokémon Glare and Pokémon Umbra
Pokémon Leaf and Pokémon Flower
Pokémon River/Lake and Pokémon Island/Mountain
Pokémon Wave and Pokémon Beam
Pokémon Twist and Pokémon Line
Pokémon Steam and Pokémon Snow (I really liked this one! They are two of the water states, and could easily replace "Flame and Frost" if they found "Flame" non-friendly.)
Pokémon Blast and Pokémon Breeze

And just for reference, I also thought about these, but I'm sure I've seen them on the internet before:
Pokémon ? And Pokémon !
Pokémon Cube and Pokémon Sphere
Pokémon Axe and Pokémon Hammer

Last edited:
Black and Diamond were also names of roms, so I guess they really don't care about. Oh, Speed and Power are really good an innovative names. Why would they be "funnier"?
The Quartz thing was because I feel that rom should be left alone, since their quality is... erm... okay, I cannot think about anything "nice" to say about it. It's horrible. Go read Yuoaman or Zorak's LPs to see how bad it is. For example, the Professor is a Marty Stu version of the hacker, the villains want to expand the sun because it would apparently power up Electric-Types and then there are those abominations that shouldn't even be called Fakemons (e.g.: Babos). Unlike Black which was just a bad creepypasta turned into a hack rom, this one is really infamous.

Speed and Power would be hilarious names because that's what Telefang's versions were called: Speed Version and Power Version. In other words, after Telefang (unwillingly) took Pokémon's name, now it's Pokémon taking theirs.

If we do past and present I would love to see an ice age version. We would get the ice pokemon, and some really unique animals. A dodo bird would be ridiculous and funny. A sabertooth, a mammoth. I mean look at the Croods movie. They mixed some really unique animals. I think it would be way fun.

Speed of sound and speed of light would make for some interesting titles. Especially if they make two infamous fan made types canon. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom