• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. It's best to keep real world issues out of Pokemon.
Yeah, I agree. Is Eevee's Pride still our default skin? Because I think maybe it's time to change it so the Anti-SJWs don't get provoked. I think the anti-bullying PSA would be enough.

Anyway, so that we don't get into a political debate that could hurt the forum, let's discuss the fate of the National Pokédex. The National Dex wasn't obtainable in Gen 7. Do you think it could be back?

Actually I think this suggestion isn't too terrible- though there is an issue considering that you have to pay for Bank. But that hangup aside, to have a system within the game to send your pokemon to and from a cloud server would be like having Bank without having to have the separate app. You would just need some sort of login to access your collection from different games/platforms.
Would it involve Poke Transporter in some way?

I'm not arguing that Sean's suggestion was a good idea, I'm arguing against the idea that LGBT people should be avoided by games because they're "too controversial".
Not avoided, maybe just make people realize the lesson themselves. What if they added a cool character that just happens to be gay? Someone likeable and not stereotypical that shows people that just because someone is gay doesn't mean they are bad/weird/*insert stereotype here*/etc.

Would it involve Poke Transporter in some way?
Potentially? I don't know- I just figure it's gotta be possible to code it into the game. It's not like the games connecting to a cloud server without an external app is such a foreign concept- it already has to access a cloud for the GTS.

Not avoided, maybe just make people realize the lesson themselves. What if they added a cool character that just happens to be gay? Someone likeable and not stereotypical that shows people that just because someone is gay doesn't mean they are bad/weird/*insert stereotype here*/etc.
You might not have been referring to avoiding, but Poke Dragon specifically referred to posts about being LGBT on Splatoon. To have a cool character who happens to be gay (which is still a great approach!), they have to at least be portrayed as such.

Oh right, we got derailed for a while there!

About the National Dex returning: I would like for it to return. It was a nice checklist for me to keep track on what I have and what I don't have without resorting to an external app that I would rarely use like Poké Bank. Specially since I like to start from scratch each game.

Removing the National Dex was one of the best decisions they ever made. No more need to transfer every single Pokemon to the new games to obtain the Shiny Charm. Now the entire catalogue of Pokemon is in one place.

I think if handled well, they could go further than this and show that person being bullied and the affect it has on their life. I don't know if I trust GameFreak with that yet. They did pretty good handling a serious issue with Lillie and her mom (all different types of parental/emotional abuse), but it can go bad fast and just cause a mess. Overall, I guess its better to just normalize it (that sounds awful in my head but, I don't know how to say it any better) But yeah, we definitely don't need an evil team as a way to bring up the topic.

Oh right, we got derailed for a while there!

About the National Dex returning: I would like for it to return. It was a nice checklist for me to keep track on what I have and what I don't have without resorting to an external app that I would rarely use like Poké Bank. Specially since I like to start from scratch each game.

I feel the opposite: because I like to start each game from scratch, I liked that I didn't have to transfer up a bunch of pokemon that I can't catch in-game or re-evolve a bunch of pokemon that are never going to be used. I didn't have to make another living dex because it wouldn't accomplish anything.

Regardless of that, the models and animations used for the dexes between the 3ds games were almost all identical. I'm expecting the national dex to come back again with a much needed upgrade for the switch.

I agree with Prog Rocker. In fact, I do the same as what he does: Use the Pokédex as a checklist and start from scratch every game. When they removed it from Sun and Moon, how would it have mattered if you transferred a Pokémon from Bank into Alola? While I liked looking at a global Pokédex in Bank, they really should have kept the National Dex. That Greninja I got from the Demo and all those QR Scanned Pokémon, plus whatever you transferred from previous games, you can't track them. The National Dex has gotta return in Gen 8. And if it doesn't because there's too much data on having over 900 Pokémon with HD 3D models, then make the National Dex DLC or just make National Pokémon unobtainable and outside of the coding.

I agree with Prog Rocker. In fact, I do the same as what he does: Use the Pokédex as a checklist and start from scratch every game. When they removed it from Sun and Moon, how would it have mattered if you transferred a Pokémon from Bank into Alola? While I liked looking at a global Pokédex in Bank, they really should have kept the National Dex. That Greninja I got from the Demo and all those QR Scanned Pokémon, plus whatever you transferred from previous games, you can't track them. The National Dex has gotta return in Gen 8. And if it doesn't because there's too much data on having over 900 Pokémon with HD 3D models, then make the National Dex DLC or just make National Pokémon unobtainable and outside of the coding.
I feel like that last part is a very wrong approach. Excluding Pokemon for a reason like that can't go well. Just look at the wonders it's doing for LGPE. If a checklist is all you need in a game, then that's fine. Some of us don't care about the national Dex. Some of us transfer our Pokemon to, oh idk, battle with them? I'm not saying your way of playing is wrong, but to cut out the way someone else plays is not a good way to handle things. In an ideal world, yes, they would include a national Dex of all 1,000-ish Pokemon. Will they? That's to be seen. I didn't mind at all how they handled the SM Pokedex. It had a lot in it for a regional Dex, and if you need the game to give you a fancy certificate for transferring over years' work of collecting all the previous gens, then idk what to tell you.

So...now that Let's Go released, and that we will have all the 800 Pokémon available in the game again, I was thinking about the possibles following "rideables" Pokémon of the next games (since I don't even consider the possibility of Game Freak removing this feature), and I just came up with this:

VzGvI9H.png

Some that seem unlikely to be rideable like Raticate, Sandslash, Electrode and others, could be inspired by the anime.

Obviously, some of the "flying" ones would just float. Also, just like in Let's Go, some would be able to fly higher than others.

Ideally, in the aquatic department, some would be able to reach most depths areas than others in the ocean, through dive. Also, Suicune could be able to walk above water, as it does in the movies.

I know that some of the "surf" ones may be seems too small to be used as a rideable Pokémon, but in fact, the idea is that they would just help us to swim (just like Ash did with his Squirtle and Misty did with her Staryu in the first movie). They can be small, but the water would "dampen" our weight. Also, that would be perfect for the game environment, in addition to being immersive, it would be a really good demonstration of union between Pokémon and player. Both would be doing something together to reach some goal.

tumblr_n2w358MMmm1ruztjzo4_250.gif

In the "land" department, some would run faster than others, just like in Let's Go as well.

Many could have more than only one utility, such as Garchomp, who is capable of swim, walk and fly perfectly.

b94.gif

Of course, many of the rideable Pokémon would only be possible depending on the sizes of the protagonists and of the Pokémon (in XY we ride a Skiddo, so...) And just like in SM's anime, some would need that kind of "protection saddle", like Seviper and Darmanitan (just like the ones that Pokéride's mons have in SM, and like the ones that Alola Ultra Guardian's rideable mons have in the anime).

I think that the possibilities are endless, and that Game Freak could explore even more by giving special abilities to some of them. Like, Sharpedo should be able to break rocks in the water, just like in SM. Empoleon and Walrein could be able to pass through frozen ocean's areas (just like in Pokémon Ranger). Pokémon like Blaziken and Shiftry could be able to jump at higher areas on land, as well.

Co9YDSoWYAAP-JT.jpg

Rhyhorn and Muddsdale could get through rocky or muddy areas that other Pokémon could not (just like in XY and SM). And Mamoswine and Abomasnow could get through dense areas of snow on land (again, just like XY).

Mantine and Suicune could be used to jump over some rock barriers on the water (ones that would be impossible to break with Sharpedo). And Pokémon like Chinchou, Lanturn, Marill, and Azumarill could be used to illuminate and explore dark places in "underwater caves" (I don't know how it's called in english), just like Abyssal Ruins in BW.

73539-1469574000.png

Of course, I don't really expect them to implement the option to ride all of those Pokémon at once in the next games (that would be cool tho).

But I hope that at least in the ninth generation, we will have access to all of those. I think I've put all the Pokémon the player could "ride" in that pic, but they could surprise me as well.

What do you think?

Come on, Game Freak. You can do it. It's not that hard at all. If an independent developer was able to do something like, from the bedroom of his home (in some Minecraft Pokémon's mods there are lots of those Pokémon and most of them are rideables), the company that owns the world's most successful JPRG is able to do so, and much better. To be honest, seeing from a development point of view, that would be considerably easy to them to do. They already have all the models of the Pokémon running and walking in HD (that by the way, not were created by them, but by Creatures Inc).

It would be something easy to implement and incredible to the players, in my opinion. Come on, Game Freak, do your job.

Just for reference, these are all the following rideables Pokémon of Let's Go, and theirs effects: Rideables Pokémon Let's Go - Serebii

Edit
Corrected english errors.

Last edited:
What I like the most about the National Pokédex is the entries.

Also, isn't LGPE doing well despite all the non-available Pokémon?

I feel like that last part is a very wrong approach. Excluding Pokemon for a reason like that can't go well. Just look at the wonders it's doing for LGPE. If a checklist is all you need in a game, then that's fine. Some of us don't care about the national Dex. Some of us transfer our Pokemon to, oh idk, battle with them? I'm not saying your way of playing is wrong, but to cut out the way someone else plays is not a good way to handle things. In an ideal world, yes, they would include a national Dex of all 1,000-ish Pokemon. Will they? That's to be seen. I didn't mind at all how they handled the SM Pokedex. It had a lot in it for a regional Dex, and if you need the game to give you a fancy certificate for transferring over years' work of collecting all the previous gens, then idk what to tell you.

Okay, then I guess they should just make sure all 809 Pokémon models and animations could function properly as the highest priority and then work on the new Pokémon? And hey, maybe we should have the National Pokédex from the start of the game?

No to the National Dex returning. It was so tedious to complete it every single game. Now you only have to complete it once and just add the new additions when a new generation rolls around.

Ok, not to bring this totally up again, but if they want to bring The gay community (forgive me I’m tired and the acronym is not coming to mind) I think it should be subtle. Ex: prof. Blady blah, “I will be gone for a few days to visit my husband (or wife if we actually get a girl prof).” Simple, easy, and makes it seem a normal part of life for kids.

Anywho. I actually would be happy with Let’s Go as the remakes. After playing it. It’s surprisingly fun. I was very surprised how much I like it. The training is so much less tedious now. Any time you catch a pokemon you gain exp. chaining combos makes shiny hunting easier. However, the overworld does sort of take the surprise out of it so in terms of new pokemon i would not enjoy it. Also the return of fishing would be appreciated, but I do like the battle system. Catching pokemon to train, actually sort of gives a meaning to battling trainers. It’s surprising how much more invested I feel.

I really don’t want them to bring back national dex. It’s not fair to those of us who want to enjoy the new game. I don’t want all the pokemon. I use the new ones only in a new generation, and the fact I cannot get a shiny charm because I refuse to collect all 800+ pokemon is really stupid. I won’t own the poke bank, because I won’t pay for it. I’ll keep the pokemon I choose, or restart the game. End of story. I don’t want it. What’s the point of a national dex when that’s literally the purpose of the pokemon bank? It’s so you can keep them there. Not transfer them constantly to each game. Otherwise what’s the point of a new pokedex for new pokemon and regions? It’s to find the new ones not the old ones yet again.

Also they said a long time ago that pokemon bank would not connect to lets go and I am doubting it will for gen 8. Just a feeling I have. I bet they try and do something new, but keep that for 3ds. I cannot imagine them connecting it. Unless they could find a way to actually sync the pokemon bank into the nintendo account itself, and make the entire thing online, but that seems more trouble than anything and doubtful.

So, I came up with some fun ideas for a gen

Game names Pokemon Sword and Shield

Region based off Scandinavia

Starters are a Grass/Bug spider, A Fire rabbit, and a Water Iguana

Final evolutions are Grass/Bug, Fire/Electric, and pure Water

Box Legendaries are a Dragon and a Pegasus
One is of course Dragon and the other is Fairy

A new and rare type of pokemon will be in this region called Elementals

There’re elementals that represents one of each existing type

Three of these elementals will act as a second starter for you early in the game

You will receive the Flying, Rock, Or Fighting elemental

New battle mechanic will be Elemental Armors

At the cost of one elemental in your team slot, it will be equipped to a pokemon on your team, giving it a secondary typing of the corresponding element (Example: Lucario would have it’s Steel typing replaced with the Dark typing if equipped with the Dark elemental)

Each Elemental Armor will also boost a certain stat. (Example: Flying will boost Speed tremendously)

And it will also grant an ability over the pokemon’s orginal (Example: Overgrow would be replaced with Solid Rock, with the Rock elemental equipped.)

Box legendaries are the Dragon and Fairy elementals

Evil team will be Vikings that simply try to conquer the region as well as seizing the legendaries

Also they said a long time ago that pokemon bank would not connect to lets go and I am doubting it will for gen 8. Just a feeling I have. I bet they try and do something new, but keep that for 3ds. I cannot imagine them connecting it. Unless they could find a way to actually sync the pokemon bank into the nintendo account itself, and make the entire thing online, but that seems more trouble than anything and doubtful.

Really? I don't remember of them saying anything like that. I remember otherwise, I remember Masuda being questioned by interviewers about that, and answering that he certainly doesn't want to players to go through an unpleasant situation like it was the transition between RGBYGSC~RS again.

It may be that the main features of the Bank stays only in 3DS. But what do you suggest to us be able to transfer our Pokemon to Switch games? A new application that connects with the Bank?
So, I came up with some fun ideas for a gen

Game names Pokemon Sword and Shield

Region based off Scandinavia

Starters are a Grass/Bug spider, A Fire rabbit, and a Water Iguana

Final evolutions are Grass/Bug, Fire/Electric, and pure Water

Box Legendaries are a Dragon and a Pegasus
One is of course Dragon and the other is Fairy

A new and rare type of pokemon will be in this region called Elementals

There’re elementals that represents one of each existing type

Three of these elementals will act as a second starter for you early in the game

You will receive the Flying, Rock, Or Fighting elemental

New battle mechanic will be Elemental Armors

At the cost of one elemental in your team slot, it will be equipped to a pokemon on your team, giving it a secondary typing of the corresponding element (Example: Lucario would have it’s Steel typing replaced with the Dark typing if equipped with the Dark elemental)

Each Elemental Armor will also boost a certain stat. (Example: Flying will boost Speed tremendously)

And it will also grant an ability over the pokemon’s orginal (Example: Overgrow would be replaced with Solid Rock, with the Rock elemental equipped.)

Box legendaries are the Dragon and Fairy elementals

Evil team will be Vikings that simply try to conquer the region as well as seizing the legendaries

I liked your ideas. You were inspired by what Pixelpar said on twitter the other day, didn't you?

Also, not that it matters, but I have corrected all the english errors of my previous post. There were many horrible errors. Sorry.

He had an idea similar to yours.

Your idea is more complete tho. I liked it. It's a really good idea for a new gimmick.

Oh wow XD. Guess some minds think alike huh? well my armor idea's been rattling in my head for a while. I just finally managed to apply it into paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom