• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true, however "Being Bigger" can also be the process of Mutation. Take over sized salmon for example, the result of gene editing. Mutant Salmon Coming to a Kitchen Table Near You
Or look up Myostatin Mutation.
Pretty sure gene editing is not the same as mutation? Regardless, I never said there wasn't any such thing as mutation causing animals to be larger than normal. My point was that a Pokemon becoming bigger as it evolves isn't really a sign of mutation, because most evolutions are made to resemble an animal growing into its mature stages. (Hence my example of Caterpie and Metapod-it's a change that's wildly different from its first form, but it's not because pupae are mutant caterpillars) If it was really about a mutation causing them to be bigger, why doesn't Venusaur just look like a bigger Ivysaur?

Pretty sure gene editing is not the same as mutation?
True, but both involve Genes and there are some weird things that can happen without interference. Albino animals, 2 headed animals, etc, its just when you look up "Oversized Mutant Animals", nothing comes up cause all the weirder stuff is more popular.
If it was really about a mutation causing them to be bigger, why doesn't Venusaur just look like a bigger Ivysaur?
Take "Fruit Fly Mutations" as an example. They are both fruit flies but they look a bit different. It could have multiple mutations...

Personally though, I think (This was actually a theory someone had a while back), that the Gen 1 starters are based on time periods. Venosaur is a Dinosaur (Prehistoric), Charizard is a "Dragon" (Medieval), and Blastoise is a Tank (Modern).

xristougenna1.jpg

The gen 8 leak season has started!

Take "Fruit Fly Mutations" as an example. They are both fruit flies but they look a bit different.
I don't see how that's relevant to the point of Venusaur's mutation being that it's larger? I know that there's mutations that alter appearances, but they don't go hand in hand with a mutation that causes something to be larger.

It could have multiple mutations...
So how would we distinguish natural growth from mutation?

Uhhh hello guys long time no see

Empleon is based on Poisideon fused with an Emperor Penguin.
There are multiple themes involved, along with the obvious napoleon.
Even if we consider Napoleon wearing Poseidon's trident a 'God for a moment...

Saur has that giant poisonous Rafflesia arnoldi on its back
It’s logical progression from Ivysaur's bud and not a 'mutation'. If we use your logic literally every evolution is a mutation, discarding the entire theory.

while each Hoenn Starter lives in a part of the enviorment
Treecko- The Forest
Torchic- Moutains\Volcanos
Mudkip- The Sea

Literally every Pokemon lives in some part of the environment.

ho-oh and lugia weren't starring in movies that dropped the same year a new generation was dropping, nor are they as popular as mewtwo and universally well known as mewtwo

I agree that it would indeed be overkill and redundant, I dont exactly want mewtwo to get a new form myself, I just feel like the possibility is there ;-;
I mean- they could have shoved something new for Ho-Oh into Ultra Sun and Moon if they wanted to. Mid-gen didn't stop them from adding more pokemon and Z-moves, after all.

Considering no pokemon that received a mega evolution also received an exclusive Z-move or regional variant, I feel pretty good that they aren't going to go lump anything else onto Mewtwo just yet. The focus on Mewtwo now is probably going to just be a rewrite of the first movie (it's even in the title) with maybe some mega evolution involved, and the timing is likely to tie-in with LGPE. I'm sure some other pokemon or mythical for Gen 8 may also appear in the movie... if they don't just feature Meltan in it instead. TPCi has been trending toward not sharing the honor of first reveals, if you consider their trailers coming out ahead of CoroCoro's official launch. They could be pulling that privilege from the films too.

I mean- they could have shoved something new for Ho-Oh into Ultra Sun and Moon if they wanted to. Mid-gen didn't stop them from adding more pokemon and Z-moves, after all.

Considering no pokemon that received a mega evolution also received an exclusive Z-move or regional variant, I feel pretty good that they aren't going to go lump anything else onto Mewtwo just yet. The focus on Mewtwo now is probably going to just be a rewrite of the first movie (it's even in the title) with maybe some mega evolution involved, and the timing is likely to tie-in with LGPE. I'm sure some other pokemon or mythical for Gen 8 may also appear in the movie... if they don't just feature Meltan in it instead. TPCi has been trending toward not sharing the honor of first reveals, if you consider their trailers coming out ahead of CoroCoro's official launch. They could be pulling that privilege from the films too.

I also find it unlikely mainly because Mewtwo has already had two Mega evolutions, and because they are taking a different path with the movies lately, trying to aggregate something, rather than using them only as promotional biases. And I think that throw a new random gimmick in the middle of the movie would de-characterize that. But still, I quite understand what Stygian means, even if unlikely, there is still the possibility of.

About that "rumor" about the gen 8 starters, I talked with Larry through DM, and I'm still skeptical about it.

In addition to everything that has already been said, multiculturalism can be pointed to others starters, as well. Although Sugimori admitted that he followed that line of design for Unova starters, he may have followed it to others too:

Venusaur (Europe or Southeast Asia), Charizard (China or Europe), Blastoise (Japan)

Torterra and Infernape (Asia), Empoleon (West)

Chesnaught and Delphox (Europe), Greninja (Japan)

So, multiculturalism is something present in almost every other starters, as well.

It seems only a speculation attempt to me.

Last edited:
That gekn, rabbit and goat are fake or real?

Would be nice to get a grass type starter with Powder. Maybe it could evolve into a gras/steel somehow

A water/poison starter final stage snake or leguana that could use that Clanging Scales move and maybe get Corrosion as ability?

A fire/fairy Pan creature with Soundproof and sound moves.

Or they will do a fire/steel and grass/fairy instead so that one type is SE to a other but would want the oposite rather.

Always thought the generation 5 starters were based off of different Empires myself.
There are multiple themes involved, along with the obvious napoleon.
Even if we consider Napoleon wearing Poseidon's trident a 'God for a moment...

It’s logical progression from Ivysaur's bud and not a 'mutation'. If we use your logic literally every evolution is a mutation, discarding the entire theory.

Literally every Pokemon lives in some part of the environment.
Long time no see flame do you finally have a console to play Pokemon on

Last edited:
Managed to find an emulator which can play all games till the DS era.
As for a Switch, I’ll get one when Generation 8 drops. :)
That's pretty cool but get a switch while you can because they're really hot right now thanks to let's go and smash!

About that "rumor" about the gen 8 starters, I talked with Larry through DM, and I'm still skeptical about it.

I am sorry but can someone tell what this gen 8 starters rumor is? Also who is Larry? Is he a leaker? has he leaked anything in the past?

Who knows maybe a cheaper version of the Switch will debut with Generation 8 like with XY and the 2DS?
There is that rumor that a new model is releasing next year so maybe.
Gen 8 will probs get a bundle pack

I just hope it doesn't evolve to just be a Water-type version of Sceptile, maybe it could evolve into a Water/Poison komodo dragon, those things have extremely poisonous bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom