• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and about Raikou absence, it had already made its debut prior to the Zoroark's movie, it was on a special (so, Sucuine gained the game, Entei the movie, Raikou the anime special).
I guess I should have said movie debut. I was going to correct to myself but you answered first. Also, I keep forgetting the whole Raikou thing happened. Doesn't help that it debuted through Pokémon Chronicles in LA. Maybe I'm misremembering something, but I think they only showed the special where I live because there was a weird hiatus in Latin America making it even more forgettable.

EDIT: Fun fact! Instead of Suicune, apparently it was going to be Entei that was the one you could normally catch. At least, that's what I get from an unused event in GS that triggered a fight against it.

Last edited:
I guess I should have said movie debut. I was going to correct to myself but you answered first. .

Oh, I got it.

It seems that Pokeshopper already has information on promotions involving Meltan and Melmetal, and information about the next movie. Those promotions could indicate whether Meltan and Melmetal will be in the movie or not (whether the promotions are also related to Mewtwo or not). But only Patreons had access to it...

Hiiiiiii.

Got a new job and thought I wouldn't be picking up Let's Go, but then I saw riding Snorlax as if it were Totoro and... Well. I am weak.

So. Has anyone brought up Let's Go adds more credibility to Plus and Minus rumors. Specifically:

More traditional Pokemon-like gameplay will be on the Handheld controller while an all new gameplay aspect will be on the Terminal unit.

There's still gyro aiming on handheld, but the control scheme is a lot more traditional. (And less frustrating with throws.)

My position is not that Plus and Minus are 100% accurate and Gen 8, but it brings up that Game Freak is working on multiple games and these are what they've heard. I think likely ideas have been split up into games we have now with Let's Go and Alola. We've gotten the Island areas, the new playstyle on console, and arguably the "New Pokemon Type similar to Shinies" with regional Pokemon having new types. I think the main thing I'm curious about is this:

New region, no name yet, is based on South East Asia with one large peninsula and many smaller islands.

The “Mainland” is an MMO-like environment that is exclusive to the Terminal and is shared by both versions.

The reason I find this interesting is the video I always post about Masuda reading internet comments asking for a semi-open world game and him responding, "We're making it!" Now, if we go back and look at Ishihara's translated intervoew in Famitsu after the Press conference where he announced Let's Go and 2019, the language is interesting:

The game will give a good understanding of what an evolved Pokémon game looks like after it has continued to succeed the traditions of Game Freak.

We want to make Pokémon fans say “this is what I’ve been waiting for” by delivering a brand-new product packed with gameplay elements and plenty of new Pokémon to encounter.

We are guaranteed new Pokemon, and not just a few, but this is also an "evolved" game and potentially a new product.

So.

Is 2019 going to be Gen 8? I think so. One of the posts in the video where Masuda is reading internet comments has someone ask for a 40+ hour rpg and the response is him being unsure if it's 40+ hours. So there is a campaign. However, Ishihara's comments are still interesting, especially with succeeding the traditions of Game Freak. What does that mean, exactly? He also mentions that 2019 is not an entry game. It's hard to think of Game Freak launching a new generation that isn't intended to have new players as a major focus, if only because the anime is geared toward kids. Maybe Generations did good enough numbers to make them interested in a mature themed series, but it's all so... curious.

Ultimately, going back to Plus and Minus, I doubt they would require the game to be docked to be played, but things change over what will be 5 years. It could be something added to the region like an expanded entralink. And post game has always been a big talking point for games. I would absolutely love updated stories, even if they just revolved around mythicals. I am so tired of just getting them handed to me. Shaymin, while not my favorite Pokemon, had such a cool event. I miss things like that.

Hiiiiiii.

Got a new job and thought I wouldn't be picking up Let's Go, but then I saw riding Snorlax as if it were Totoro and... Well. I am weak.

So. Has anyone brought up Let's Go adds more credibility to Plus and Minus rumors. Specifically:

There's still gyro aiming on handheld, but the control scheme is a lot more traditional. (And less frustrating with throws.)

My position is not that Plus and Minus are 100% accurate and Gen 8, but it brings up that Game Freak is working on multiple games and these are what they've heard. I think likely ideas have been split up into games we have now with Let's Go and Alola. We've gotten the Island areas, the new playstyle on console, and arguably the "New Pokemon Type similar to Shinies" with regional Pokemon having new types. I think the main thing I'm curious about is this:

The reason I find this interesting is the video I always post about Masuda reading internet comments asking for a semi-open world game and him responding, "We're making it!" Now, if we go back and look at Ishihara's translated intervoew in Famitsu after the Press conference where he announced Let's Go and 2019, the language is interesting:

We are guaranteed new Pokemon, and not just a few, but this is also an "evolved" game and potentially a new product.

So.

Is 2019 going to be Gen 8? I think so. One of the posts in the video where Masuda is reading internet comments has someone ask for a 40+ hour rpg and the response is him being unsure if it's 40+ hours. So there is a campaign. However, Ishihara's comments are still interesting, especially with succeeding the traditions of Game Freak. What does that mean, exactly? He also mentions that 2019 is not an entry game. It's hard to think of Game Freak launching a new generation that isn't intended to have new players as a major focus, if only because the anime is geared toward kids. Maybe Generations did good enough numbers to make them interested in a mature themed series, but it's all so... curious.

Ultimately, going back to Plus and Minus, I doubt they would require the game to be docked to be played, but things change over what will be 5 years. It could be something added to the region like an expanded entralink. And post game has always been a big talking point for games. I would absolutely love updated stories, even if they just revolved around mythicals. I am so tired of just getting them handed to me. Shaymin, while not my favorite Pokemon, had such a cool event. I miss things like that.
Plus & Minus is a fake leak. It claimed that they would be the games to follow XY (you know that's not the case) and the leaker got many things wrong about the Switch.

Hey people, what are your bets on the names of the next games?

I organized a list with all the names we discussed a few pages ago:

Pokémon Rust and Pokémon Chrome
Pokémon Speed of Sound and Pokémon Speed of Light
Pokémon Chaos and Pokémon Cosmos
Pokémon Melody and Pokémon Harmony
Pokémon Gems and Pokémon Colors
Pokémon Techno and Pokémon Bio
Pokémon Touka and Pokémon Sakura
Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield
Pokémon Dusk and Pokémon Dawn
Pokémon Past and Pokémon Future
Pokémon Land and Pokémon Sky
Pokémon Sea and Pokémon Land
Pokémon Infrared and Pokémon Ultraviolet
Pokémon Plus and Pokémon Minus
Pokémon Summer and Pokémon Winter
Pokémon Autumn and Pokémon Spring
Pokémon Lightness and Pokémon Darkness
Pokémon Light and Pokémon Shadow
Pokémon Infinity and Pokémon Zero
Pokémon Infinity and Pokémon Eternity
Pokémon Heat and Pokémon Freeze
Pokémon Flame and Pokémon Frost
Pokémon Rainbow and Pokémon Storm
Pokémon Blizzard and Pokémon Sandstorm
Pokémon Mars and Pokémon Venus
Pokémon Speed and Pokémon Velocity
Pokémon Sound and Pokémon Light
Pokémon You and Pokémon Me
Pokémon Quarts and Pokémon Topaz
Pokémon Iron and Pokémon Bronze
Pokémon Jade/Opal/Amethyst/Onyx/Garnet/Tourmaline/Amber
Pokémon Cobalt and Pokémon Crimson
Pokémon Cobalt and Pokémon Copper
Pokémon Iron and Pokémon Copper
Pokémon Twilight and Pokémon Eclipse
Pokémon Ocarina and Pokémon Flute
Pokémon Age and Pokémon Seasons
Pokémon Thunder and Pokémon Lightining
Pokémon Thunder and Pokémon Bolt
Pokémon Obsidian and Pokémon Glass
Pokémon Sunshine and Pokémon Rain
Pokémon Shine and Pokémon Rain
Pokémon Breeze and Pokémon Mist
Pokémon Shine and Pokémon Shadow
Pokémon Blaze and Pokémon Volt
Pokémon Orange and Pokémon Violet
Pokémon Rose and Pokémon Violet
Pokémon Proton and Pokémon Electron
Pokémon Day and Pokémon Night
Pokémon Rainbow and Pokémon Monochrome
Pokémon Uranium and Pokémon Titanium
Pokémon Might and Pokémon Wisdom
Pokémon A and Pokémon Z
Pokémon Order and Pokémon Chaos
Pokémon Genesis and Pokémon Ultimate
Pokémon Chrono and Pokémon Geo
Pokémon Treble and Pokémon Bass
Pokémon Stardust and Pokémon Starlight
Pokémon Dreams and Pokémon Reality/Verity
Pokémon Peace and Pokémon Conflict
Pokémon Nature and Pokémon Artificial
Pokémon Zenith and Pokémon Nadir
Pokémon Unity and Pokémon Division
Pokémon Key and Pokémon Lock
Pokémon Sunny and Pokémon Cloudy/Misty
Pokémon Sunflower and Pokémon Orchid/Lily/Waterlily
Pokémon Rock and Pokémon Metal
Pokémon Sunshine and Pokémon Moonshine
Pokémon Sunlight and Pokémon Moonlight
Pokémon Glare and Pokémon Umbra
Pokémon Leaf and Pokémon Flower
Pokémon Wave and Pokémon Beam
Pokémon Twist and Pokémon Line
Pokémon Steam and Pokémon Snow
Pokémon + and Pokémon -
Pokémon ? And Pokémon !
Pokémon Cube and Pokémon Sphere
Pokémon Axe and Pokémon Hammer
Pokémon Stars
Pokémon Cyan
Pokémon Prism
Pokémon Beta/Gamma/Delta/Zeta/Theta/Sigma
Pokémon Aurora
Pokémon Aether
Pokémon World/Galaxy/Universe

Choose one.

Pokemon Red Evolution
Pokemon Blue Evolution

Pokemon Evolution

Plus & Minus is a fake leak. It claimed that they would be the games to follow XY (you know that's not the case) and the leaker got many things wrong about the Switch.

Lol, I don't really want to go over this again, but I can. Reading through, it seems Alola could be adopted from the original plans. In which case, technically it was the next game. But it never says that. What it does say is:

GameFreak were one of the first development studios inside Nintendo to receive Alpha-Prototype hardware, now have been upgraded to the Beta-Prototype hardware above. Have a few areas marked out, TONS of concept art traveling between Pokemon Company and Nintendo Co Ltd. Two versions already have code names, possibly final: Pokemon Plus and Pokemon Minus.

The whole leak is about concepts and even stresses this about two possible versions, not the definitive next games, just ideas. Ideas from the leaks have arguably been in both Alola and LGPE.

Let's look at the biggest leak we've ever gotten with the datamined Spaceworld Demo of Pokemon Gold in November 1997 compared to the release in November 1999. We have a completely new game map. New starters minus Chikorita, who has a different mid evolution. Different baby Pokemon who wouldn't appear until much later with different designs. A metal ditto evolution. Tons of never seen again Pokemon. A scrapped older brother for your character. Many other tweaks. That was 2 years and Gold and Silver were completely reworked. When the 2019 games come out, it will have been 5 years since those rumors. The chances of them keeping everything the same are minuscule. That isn't how production goes. Plus and Minus, as they are written, will not come out. It doesn't mean, if it was true, we won't see aspects of them in later games. Especially as they were only ever said to be concepts between Nintendo and Game Freak. Mime Jr. And Leafeon appeared in the Gen 2 Spaceworld data. We wouldn't get them for 2 gens. This doesn't mean the rumors are fake. And using the Switch as proof is weird since they only mention working with prototypes, and how there is a docked terminal and handheld mode. Considering the Switch wouldn't come out for 3 years, that's not really surprising the exact details aren't 1:1.

Regardless, we have so little to go on for 2019 that it is fun to speculate, which is what this thread is for. And you can't deny that the LGPE gameplay is radically different handheld to docked unless you haven't played the game.

Pokemon Red Evolution
Pokemon Blue Evolution

Pokemon Evolution
I know people are tired of kanto, but I'm one of few that would be interested in a more modern version kanto. More bigger and vast, some new characters and gym leaders, pokemon from other regions that have migrated to the region. An evolution of Kanto if you will

Gosh, I hope that was intentional, I'm sure there's some other fun references that could be made with more Pokemon!
I think likely ideas have been split up into games we have now with Let's Go and Alola.
Ohmori said that he started on SuMo "right after ORAS development was finished". Geno's leak is posted on January 2014, a good ten months before ORAS's release. Could they have really gotten ORAS done that soon?
the new playstyle on console
Given all the rumors about the NX being a hybrid console, is this really that impressive of a guess? It'd make sense to expect a difference in playstyle between the two modes.
arguably the "New Pokemon Type similar to Shinies" with regional Pokemon having new types.
I think that's hugely up for debate. The only similarity between regional forms and shinies is that they look different. If that's the comparison Geno is making, then all that he's said is that there's a new form of Pokemon that changes appearance and affect gameplay-but alternate forms have been added in every game since Gen 3.
In which case, technically it was the next game. But it never says that.
No, it definitely says that.
Rumor: Information On Next Gen Pokemon Games, Dubbed “Pokemon Plus” & “Pokemon Minus
A source that Dual Pixels has taken information from in the past, Geno, has claimed to have received information on the next Pokemon games.
There's also this statement that implies they'd follow XY.
>Pokemon Bank are actual locations on the Mainland and Handheld areas where people can import past Pokemon, mainly from Pokemon X and Pokemon Y into the new game.”

The whole leak is about concepts and even stresses this about two possible versions, not the definitive next games, just ideas.
Geno said that there was a lot of concept art traveling, but he never said that was all that there was. His comment about "possibly final" isn't in reference to the versions being only a concept, he's saying that codenames that have been decided could potentially be the official name. (which ought to be a strike against legitimacy-the codenames we've seen so far are never considered the official names, they don't even have Pokemon in the title) It'd be pretty weird to have a codename set up when you're just sharing concept art, wouldn't it?

Geno also implies that designing models had begun already:
>The “Pokken Fighers” render that was teased was running on Alpha kits, Beta kits now have advance cell shading. Going for very detailed “living anime” look.
(Unless I'm mistaken and models are also considered concept art?)
That was 2 years and Gold and Silver were completely reworked. When the 2019 games come out, it will have been 5 years since those rumors.
Isn't that all the more reason to doubt Geno's claims? 5 years since the rumor was started, with four pairs of games being released in the time since?

And Geno himself has a pretty low credibility. He claimed there would be a 3DS game called "Kirby's Popup Panic", a Pokemon Battrio game for the WiiU, Sleeping Dogs for Wii U, Resident Evil Operation Terrestrial Fear for Wii U ( x ), Call of Duty: Bloodlines in 2016 ( x ), Kingdom Hearts on the Wii U ( x ), and said that "[The NX] can literally Bluetooth synch with everything, especially smart phone and tablets to the point where one feature is that it can answer phone calls and display text messages from your phone onto the screens itself so you don’t have to stop and answer your smart device.", and "The operating system, named NintendOS alone is very powerful and has so many modern features of mobile operating systems today that Nintendo is trying to be very careful in showing it off for fear that it would be mistaken as running Android."( x ).

And the guy who shared Geno's claims isn't very good at telling fake leaks. Look at what he thought the Switch would look like.

Last edited:
So seeing as each even numbered generation gave us new evolutions ( 2 and 4 normal ones and y megas plus sylveon) do you think we'll see new evolutions?
I tend to think that patterns and trends in Pokemon will never dictate any future installments. While something can seem like a solid rule, Game Freak has every right to break that rule when they see fit. Could we see new evolutions of old Pokemon? Of course, absolutely. Will we for sure? Who can say. No pattern or algorithm is going to tell us the future.

So it seems a big variation of Mewtwo is to be revealed in early 2019(replacing Kommo-o figure) Pokeshopper thinks it hints at a new Mewtwo variation and a big reveal as well. Perhaps a new Mewtwo form will be revealed in February?

Good good, give mewtwo all the focus, will always be the best legendary imo.
still thinking new form will be for mew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom